PDA

View Full Version : Skybox S12 First test

TurboPirate
05-08-2012, 08:20 AM

dr.zin
05-08-2012, 11:21 AM
maybe accurate scan would be better than blindscan,but takes longer.

TurboPirate
05-08-2012, 02:26 PM

05-08-2012, 02:52 PM

Depends on what sw version your using. My skybox s12 is using C2HS2-11-07-14:0651CM and the only choices are blind scan or preset scan.

ViP3R
05-08-2012, 03:05 PM
On my S9 I use the following file, it has the accurate scan option and will work on the S9,S10 and S12.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Some files work better for some than others, but nothing wrong with trying different files that work the best for you and your setup.

dr.zin
05-08-2012, 05:27 PM
The sifteam site had an inethds12 file released 4-15 but it was just the old firmware with an updated euro channel list.

SatelliteGuy
05-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Where can I purchase an Openbox S12 that is reliable?

el bandido
05-08-2012, 07:39 PM
I got mine from Mixeshop and have not had any problems. They shipped the receiver fast. It got here about the same amount of time as it would take something from the West Coast to get here. I chose DHL shipping though. You can save 10 or 15 dollars by choosing airmail shipping.

Information is in post 1 Here: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

TurboPirate
05-09-2012, 06:15 AM
On my S9 I use the following file, it has the accurate scan option and will work on the S9,S10 and S12.

Some files work better for some than others, but nothing wrong with trying different files that work the best for you and your setup.

.................................................. ........

dr.zin
05-09-2012, 08:05 AM
remember to back up the original firmware first if you decide to play with any other firmware.

TurboPirate
05-09-2012, 09:32 AM
remember to back up the original firmware first if you decide to play with any other firmware.
I found in menu something that said dump. So I dump all I could check mark to an USB thumbdrive, were like 5-7 things a few were if I remember correctly api. and some were images. Suggestions.

dr.zin
05-09-2012, 09:38 AM
you can also dump via rs232 and via the lan manager

TurboPirate
05-09-2012, 10:00 AM
you can also dump via rs232 and via the lan manager
The serial port needs an adapter I don't have yet, all I do for now is USB, LAN this is new to me, you are talking about Ethernet Port?

SatelliteGuy
05-09-2012, 10:35 AM
I got mine from Mixeshop and have not had any problems. They shipped the receiver fast. It got here about the same amount of time as it would take something from the West Coast to get here. I chose DHL shipping though. You can save 10 or 15 dollars by choosing airmail shipping.

Information is in post 1 Here: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Thank you! I just ordered mine from Mixeshop for $77 including DSL shipping to the US.

dr.zin
05-09-2012, 01:00 PM
I don't have one,but the serial port looks like the old pc cdrom audio cable.
Maybe you could salvage and roll your own.
Lan manager is the ethernet port program.

el bandido
05-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Thank you! I just ordered mine from Mixeshop for $77 including DSL shipping to the US.
You paid about as much for the receiver as I do for a tank of gas in the van. I think you will be happy with it.
IMO, 77 dollars delivered is about all any Ali receiver is worth when compared to everything else that is on the market now. EB

TurboPirate
05-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Hello did second test last night on 91west blind scan and CW Channels didn't show up, entered the tp Manually and nothing.

el bandido
05-10-2012, 08:11 AM
The Legit firmware file mentioned earlier will have the CW channels. I do not know if the information for them is still correct, you will have to try it and see.
You may be able to get a plug for the RS232 connector if you can find an old computer. That is where I got mine from. EB

TurboPirate
05-10-2012, 09:13 AM
I also tried a file can't remember wish one and after reboot tv screen was bouncing, I used the dump I did of the factory firmware moved it to an empty thumb drive and guessing with remote control loaded the factory file and all is good, I'll try tonight the file you gave link on page 1, will report tomorrow.
Thanks in advance TURBO

05-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Hello did second test last night on 91west blind scan and CW Channels didn't show up, entered the tp Manually and nothing.

Tp info for the CW channels has changed Turbo:

3720 H 28800

6 channels scan in, no pid numbers required.

TurboPirate
05-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Tp info for the CW channels has changed Turbo:

3720 H 28800

6 channels scan in, no pid numbers required.

Thank you Costa, That Freq was the one I entered manually and no quality on that TP.

cpr43
05-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Hey Turbo
What dish size are you using for 91W?? I'm using a 10 footer and the CW's come in real low eventhough the images is steady/ HD and watchable. Most of the S2 Tps usually come in with low quality and some tweaking in the LNB is necessary.

TurboPirate
05-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Hey Turbo
What dish size are you using for 91W?? I'm using a 10 footer and the CW's come in real low eventhough the images is steady/ HD and watchable. Most of the S2 Tps usually come in with low quality and some tweaking in the LNB is necessary.
5.5' offset solid Dish. I was having good quality before they went HD not sure but it was 59-62% quality

05-10-2012, 12:36 PM
That tp is scanning in at 85% on my skybox and 100% on my azbox.

TurboPirate
05-16-2012, 07:56 PM

This file Vip3r suggested is the one I am using, so far I'll keep this one, being raining daily so I can't aimed the dish to diferent sats.

SatelliteGuy
05-17-2012, 10:28 AM
I loaded this file last night on my S12, but using it scanned in duplicate channels on SES2 C band. I then loaded the original firmware and the problem went away.

ViP3R
05-17-2012, 11:45 AM
I loaded this file last night on my S12, but using it scanned in duplicate channels on SES2 C band. I then loaded the original firmware and the problem went away.

Never had that happen to me with that file..Been using it for I don't know how long.

cpr43
05-17-2012, 11:45 AM

Hey Satguy, can you please post a copy of your original firmware??? Thanks!

ViP3R
05-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Hey Satguy, can you please post a copy of your original firmware??? Thanks!

It's in our file section Carlos. [Only registered and activated users can see links]

cpr43
05-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Okeedokee, I see it after I posted. Is there anyway we can merge both Skybox 12 post actually open?? They are almost related to the same thing

ViP3R
05-17-2012, 12:10 PM
Okeedokee, I see it after I posted. Is there anyway we can merge both Skybox 12 post actually open?? They are almost related to the same thing

The skybox file is under Openbox files.. they are the same..So we just use Openbox 9,10,12 discussions and files..

TurboPirate
05-17-2012, 05:27 PM

Every time I load a file all channels get delete, after boot I have to re do the settings and re scan channels.

TurboPirate
05-17-2012, 05:34 PM

Every time I load a file channels are gone, I have to re scan all sats, re do all settings......Don't know why this happened to you.........

el bandido
05-17-2012, 06:02 PM
You can save your channels and settings to usb, then you can restore them after changing firmware files.

There are a bunch of files out there that will work on the Openbox receivers. The ones that worked the best for us are posted here.

I have loaded at least 50 different files since the Openbox came out as a Solomend. For the past year, most of the files have done about the same in scanning and features. A few features have been added to some of the last files, and there have not been any new Openbox files since the end of 2011.

The Openbox S12 has a bit more memory than the S9. You can remove the cover on the S12 and get the chip numbers to verify this. EB

cpr43
05-17-2012, 06:07 PM
Hey Turbo
Send me a PM , i think I can help you with details instructions as to how to do a dump copy and/or a TP/Sat back up so you can load them back once you update the firmware

dr.zin
05-17-2012, 06:36 PM
If you save the userdb with rs232 then use mst firmware tool to import into new firmware,after you load it picks up on the channel you were previously watching.You may have to do a few minor tweaks after that,like time zone.

dr.zin
05-17-2012, 06:41 PM
The Openbox S12 has a bit more memory than the S9. You can remove the cover on the S12 and get the chip numbers to verify this. EB

probably not being utilized,if the firmware is just s10 firmware.
the s9 serial loader is based on 128meg of ram,according to the .ini and eromclient.abs files.
One of the loader packages you actually had to choose the files based on processor type,ram size,flash type.

dr.zin
05-17-2012, 09:11 PM
actually,the mst firmware tool lets you import the tp_prog.dbs into the new firmware before you load it.
A few tweaks are needed afterward,like time zone and language.

TurboPirate
05-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Hey Turbo
Send me a PM , i think I can help you with details instructions as to how to do a dump copy and/or a TP/Sat back up so you can load them back once you update the firmware

As soon as I get to a computer I'll PM you, with cel phone it's almost impossible to send PM. Thanks TURBO

TurboPirate
05-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Almost a month and loving my Skybox, what I don't really like is the remote control signal, you have to aim directly to STB for comands to take effect, reminds me the CaptiveWorks remote control, other than that, I love this mini receiver.

SatelliteGuy
05-30-2012, 08:22 PM
Almost a month and loving my Skybox, what I don't really like is the remote control signal, you have to aim directly to STB for comands to take effect, reminds me the CaptiveWorks remote control, other than that, I love this mini receiver.

I feel exactly the same way. I love this little box, except for the remote control signal. I'm even using it more than my $249 Optibox Anaconda.

I now might purchase the Skybox M3.

05-31-2012, 09:42 AM
Lightning fast blind scan is why I purchased the s12 f3 version for my other feed. Still waiting for it to arrive, it's been 13 days now.

dr.zin
05-31-2012, 10:12 AM
s12 and f3 are two different receivers

05-31-2012, 10:24 AM
If I understood correctly the f3 version has a usable rs232 port and composite and component cables can also be used. The other version is equipped with Euro type scart.

TurboPirate
05-31-2012, 12:06 PM
Yep I saw images of that receiver Costa, and it does have the normal RS232 Component cables and few other stuff.

el bandido
05-31-2012, 02:35 PM
I feel exactly the same way. I love this little box, except for the remote control signal. I'm even using it more than my $249 Optibox Anaconda.

I now might purchase the Skybox M3.

If you are using the S12 more than the Anaconda then you probably should have never bought the Anaconda.
The S12 does not have many features so it makes no sense to buy an Anaconda and pay for internet, network, media and other premium features if you are not going to use them. EB

dr.zin
05-31-2012, 04:21 PM
If I understood correctly the f3 version has a usable rs232 port and composite and component cables can also be used. The other version is equipped with Euro type scart.

and a different processor,
3601 dual core

SatelliteGuy
05-31-2012, 04:58 PM
If you are using the S12 more than the Anaconda then you probably should have never bought the Anaconda.
The S12 does not have many features so it makes no sense to buy an Anaconda and pay for internet, network, media and other premium features if you are not going to use them. EB

I haven't used the Skybox S12 in over a week. I'm now using the Openbox S9 which I still feel is one of the best receivers out there.

The Optibox Ananconda needs to fix "basic" functions such as blind scan before I begin using it again. I also didn't purchase the Optibox Anaconda for the internet, network and media features. I purchased it for it's onscreen graphics, memory and video quality which are excellent.

TurboPirate
06-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Hello guys, I forgot to mention in this test a second SAT I have in the diseq switch port #2, Hispasat, I remember now because a friend of mine is telling me this skybox is not HD, it only has HD output, but my evidense is that with pansat SD 3500 I scan a few channels on Hispasat and with Skybox I scannes channels listed in lyngsat as HD. I think he is trying his receiver with sats that have turbo hd and that is why he thinks the receiver is not HD. Anyway I am enjoying of a couple channels that with SD receivers not even the TP showed quality. Long live the SKYBOX.

SatelliteGuy
06-02-2012, 05:08 PM
TurboPirate, do you experience any problems when using a 22KHz switch in addition to a Diseqc switch?

I just hooked my Skybox S12 back up today and the more I use it the more I love it. I'm thinking about purchasing the Skybox M3 receiver as well.

dr.zin
06-02-2012, 05:40 PM
101w has pentagon channel in hd,which is a good torture test for hd recording.

cpr43
06-03-2012, 08:55 AM
I see they are offering a new Openbox S16 with a different Ali chip M3606C instead of 3602 plus it has 3 USB ports (2 female, 1 male) connectors, HDMI/ Composite/Component and analog as well for less than $75 w/free shipping?? Have anyone have heard from this new chip??

el bandido
06-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Here is some information on that chip.

[Only registered and activated users can see links] ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) 简体 ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) 繁体 ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) English ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

Home ([Only registered and activated users can see links])
About ALi ([Only registered and activated users can see links])
Products ([Only registered and activated users can see links])
Investor Relations ([Only registered and activated users can see links])
News ([Only registered and activated users can see links])
Career ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

Product List

Set-Top Box Solution ([Only registered and activated users can see links])
Multimedia Audio System Solution ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

ALi Worldwide Agents ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

[Only registered and activated users can see links] ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

[Only registered and activated users can see links] ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

Home ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) >> Products ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) >> Set-Top Box Solution ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) >> H.264 HD or SD STB ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) >> M3606C Full HD 1080P H.264 solution

M3606C Full HD 1080P H.264 solution
M3606C is highly integrated IC for STB with networking. M3606C has dual high performance 32 bit RISC CPU, support dual USB 2.0 Host interface, High definition MPEG2 and H.264 video decoder, graphics engine, Ethernet , TV encoder and HDMI transmitter.
Feature:

● Support 16 bit DDRII 800 SDRAM
● Support serial flash with different size
● CI/CI+ interfaces supported
● Support Smart card interfaces
● MPEG4 ASP supported
● JPEG decoding accelerator
● Support 4 Video VDAC, can output YPbPr and CVBS simultaneously
● Build-in DVI and HDMI with HDCP
● Support full HD output
● MPEG-1 layers I, II and PCM down-mixing
● IEC958 S/PDIF digital output
● Digital mute control and volume adjustment
● Support Dolby down-mixed 2 channel and Dolby Prologic2
● Support 2 channel HE-AAC V1
● Build-in 2 channel Audio DAC
● Embedded Dual High performance 32bit CPU
● Debug unit with EJTAG interface
● Dual USB 2.0 host interface
● 10/100 Mbps Ethernet MAC with RMII
● 2 sets of UART Interfaces
● SDIO Interface
● OTP supported
● LQFP 256 Package

Block Diagram:

Applications:

● DVB-S2/C/T full feature CI/CI+ box solution

Go Back

Site Map ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

TurboPirate
06-03-2012, 11:16 AM
TurboPirate, do you experience any problems when using a 22KHz switch in addition to a Diseqc switch?

I just hooked my Skybox S12 back up today and the more I use it the more I love it. I'm thinking about purchasing the Skybox M3 receiver as well.

Nope, no problem at all, when I am installing a dish to Hispasat I use universal LNB it has always work better than standard LNB, so in Skybox S12 dish settings I have Port#1 40.5 and in Port#2 Hispasat Universal LNB in LNB FREQ. and the 22Khz goes to AUTO, can't edit it, so far it's scans all channels, did a test hooking Hispasat directly to receiver no switch involved and it pulled the same amount of channels. So nope no problems at all with 22Khz.

TurboPirate
07-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Still going strong, no issues at all, no need to re scan for lost channels etc. So glad I got this STB.

07-21-2012, 02:29 PM
Still going strong, no issues at all, no need to re scan for lost channels etc. So glad I got this STB.

You might want to give the Skybox F3 a shot as well Turbo, excellent and fast blind scanner for $48.

TurboPirate
09-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Last night was the first time I tested the PVR function, excellent feature, a little tricky to play what was recorded but it did, I never used a pvr function in any of my receivers, like the image and sound of the movie I left it recording, I remember when I first pressed REC it asked me in TS or PS format I used TS, what is the difference between PS and TS?

el bandido
09-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Look in the link for some answers and thoughts on the TS & PS modes. EB

TurboPirate
09-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Look in the link for some answers and thoughts on the TS & PS modes. EB

Thanks for the link, lots of info, my eyes bleeding because of the non stop reading lol, still a little confuse lol.

dr.zin
09-06-2012, 10:03 AM
ts file also contains tp info

Channel 2
On Table_ID: 0x42 (current mux)
Service Name: TUFF TV
Provider Name: Luken Communications LLC
Transport Stream ID: 0 (0x0000)

this was from a ts recorded on rtv and had nothing to do with tuff
used tsreader to look at the goodies.