PDA

View Full Version : 6ft WSI Dish

lme
07-09-2012, 10:21 AM
After 1 year I bought this dish, and disputes with wife about the place to install, yesterday I was able to lock into my south due sat (83w).
It is a polar mount, but I did not install yet the actuator.
[Only registered and activated users can see links]
Is this low q on C-band because I didn't install the dielectric plate ? As I read this is usefull for ku-band on "U" model.
I did play a lot with the lnb in & out of the ring, but this is the best i can get on my s9.
A lot of confusion on the web about latitude and longitude so did a lot of calculations for the set up & more to come for the actuator.
Of course there are a lot of "mechanical" problems due to poor workmanship: braket welded not parallell with the ring, sloppy (undersized) bolts,
but I made my entrance into the C-band world.
Also, can the actuator be run with s9 only durring the setup ?

07-09-2012, 10:49 AM
After 1 year I bought this dish, and disputes with wife about the place to install, yesterday I was able to lock into my south due sat (83w).
It is a polar mount, but I did not install yet the actuator.
Is this low q on C-band because I didn't install the dielectric plate ? As I read this is usefull for ku-band on "U" model.
I did play a lot with the lnb in & out of the ring, but this is the best i can get on my s9.
A lot of confusion on the web about latitude and longitude so did a lot of calculations for the set up & more to come for the actuator.
Of course there are a lot of "mechanical" problems due to poor workmanship: braket welded not parallell with the ring, sloppy (undersized) bolts,
but I made my entrance into the C-band world.
Also, can the actuator be run with s9 only durring the setup ?

The plate is used only for circular sats and with a 6' dish you won't be able to pick those up on the Atlantic side. PNN is not a very strong tp and I think the signal quality your getting with a 6' solid is about right. Once you decide to install the actuator and set up your limits I would have the dish pointed to about 30w and the actuator arm almost all in, leave about an inch. That way you may be able to track more of the arc when setting up your western limit.

lme
07-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Thank you for the reply.
What about my 2nd question ?
do i need to use v-box only to drive the actuator?

07-09-2012, 05:02 PM
Yes, your vbox will move the jack, you could take it outside with you when you are setting it up if it's more convenient.

lme
07-25-2012, 09:10 PM
I started to scan the sat with the vbox, but i noticed that on ku sat, H tp are few clicks away from V tp.
except on 83w my true south.

07-26-2012, 11:52 AM
I'm not quite sure what you mean but ku is normally a bit harder to track then c band. A very strong signal qualuty on c band may require a click or 2 either east or west on the vbox for ku.

lme
07-26-2012, 12:23 PM
You're right.
c-band is more then 2 clicks away, but my problem is ku-band: if i get a lock on v transponders, h transponders are lost & vice-versa except on 83w
where are only horizontaly transponders.

07-26-2012, 01:08 PM
I have never experieced that before. Normally a ku lock will bring in both polarities. You may need to skew your feed, what type of lnb or lnbf are you using?

lme
07-26-2012, 01:11 PM
DMX 741.

07-26-2012, 01:30 PM
If you have easy access to the feed I would suggest you skew it a bit, especially on the polarity which is causing you issues until it improves. I've had a couple of 741 lnbf and I must say I wasn't too impressed- not bad on c band but ku was always an issue and that is why I have seperate dedicated dishes.

lme
07-26-2012, 06:00 PM
thanks.
didn't have this issue till now.
i'm using transponders entered manually till i set up the actuator.
maybe if i'll do a blind scan i'll get it right on my s9.

07-27-2012, 05:03 AM
Just make sure your peaking your signal quality on your southern, eastern and western sats before going indoors to save your sat positions into vbox memory.

lme
07-27-2012, 06:00 AM
SO far I'm working outside next to the dish before i'll lay down the rg11 cable for inside connection.
i hope rg11 will be beter than rg6u counting that i'll be a bit over 100' distance.

07-27-2012, 06:53 AM
My 10' bud is 105' long and my 8' solid is 118'- you shouldn't have any issues.

lme
08-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Rescanned 97w & can't find V & H transponder on the same position of the dish.
Have to move the dish ~10 points to the west & get ~67% q on H trans.

08-01-2012, 12:33 PM
Is that c or ku band- signal should be higher then that. Please refresh my memory as to what receiver you are using.

lme
08-01-2012, 05:40 PM
S9.
c & ku band (V transponders only), are almost in identical position.
for H transponders on ku band (12151U/27000, etc) i have to move the dish ~10 clicks to the west.

08-02-2012, 12:56 PM
S9.
c & ku band (V transponders only), are almost in identical position.
for H transponders on ku band (12151U/27000, etc) i have to move the dish ~10 clicks to the west.

I've never heard of that before, I'm thinking something to do with your lnbf. That signal quality isn't bad on an s9 as ali-chip receivers don't normally exceed 75% except some s2 channels. Galaxy 19 tp scan in on my s9 at about 72% and considering the dish size difference I think you've got it.

lme
08-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Well, neve did I.
But now i know the cause: poor manufacturing of this dish.
So after 1 month of work on this dish i gave up on it due to the problems of the manufacturing defects.
JUST look at tha pics.

ViP3R
08-06-2012, 11:34 AM
That is pretty poor looking workmanship for sure.

I would send them and email with those pictures and link to this thread.

If they are decent people they should make this right for you and send you a replacement.

08-06-2012, 02:06 PM
I have to agree with Viper, they won't want the bad rep if you send them a link to this thread.

lme
08-13-2012, 10:40 AM
this is the answer about replacing the "T" bracket:
"Unfortunately, we are all out of this particular antenna and all of its accessories. This was a special batch of antennas sold with an unusually high discount, below manufacturing cost and were sold as is because the antennas were not manufactured to our standard.

Thank You,

Robby Dosetareh

WS International"

08-13-2012, 12:21 PM
this is the answer about replacing the "T" bracket:
"Unfortunately, we are all out of this particular antenna and all of its accessories. This was a special batch of antennas sold with an unusually high discount, below manufacturing cost and were sold as is because the antennas were not manufactured to our standard.

Thank You,

Robby Dosetareh

WS International"

Are you kidding me? Where did you buy this dish?

lme
08-13-2012, 12:57 PM
WSI Directly.

08-13-2012, 01:09 PM
That really sucks lme, any way you can mod the dish yourself?

ViP3R
08-13-2012, 03:33 PM
WSI Directly.

Did they happen to mention that the antennas were not manufactured to our standard. when you made the purchase?

Why even bother selling them if they knew the were POS.

Jim S.
08-13-2012, 04:41 PM
They didn't say anything publicly about not being up to a particular standard, but they did say that they were custom-made for a specific customer, then the deal was cancelled for some unstated reason, so they were selling them off as cheaply as possible.

08-13-2012, 05:21 PM
For a company of that magnetude all equipment should have some type of guarantee, think I'll be avoiding wsi for the future unless they put their money where their mouth is.

getoverit
08-13-2012, 08:32 PM
if there sell a dish and its in that condition and did not mention or alert you on it,then that is wrong.i keep a eye on this story.

lme
08-14-2012, 10:42 AM
That really sucks lme, any way you can mod the dish yourself?