PDA

View Full Version : Opinions, anyone?

easily confused
08-10-2012, 08:51 AM
Ok, been trying to get the BUD back up and running and seem to have reached a brick wall. To start with, I am getting good signal strength so I am assuming that cable and LNB are both good (LNB is new). Signal strength varies, depending on satellite, tp and the receiver I am using. If I am using the S-9, I consistently get a strength reading 43% or 44%. If I use the CW700, I can get anywhere from 60% to 99% and pretty much the same with the CS8000. Only reason for using the S-9 is that it can find both DVB S-2 and does blind scan, whereas the CS8000 doesn't blind scan and the CW700 doesn't handle DVB S-2. According to rangersatellite.com, my polar mount elevation should be at 46.21 degrees and then set my declination at 6.17 degrees. All of this checks out, but no matter where I move the dish, I can't seem to get even a hint of signal quality on any satellite. I can tell, standing in the living room, looking at the BUD, when it is pointed at G17 so I have tried to get signal there, just to confirm that I can receive. So far....nothing. I have tried changing the cable to the Ku side of the BSC621 2-d and nothing there either. The focal point should be at 33.75" but the most I can get is 33.5" with the LNB set as far back as I can mount it. Can anyone think of anything I have missed? One other thing. If I take the declination angle away from the elevation, I am left with 40.04, however, according to dishpointer.com, elevation should be 37.5. Ideas??

08-10-2012, 09:43 AM
It seems you have all the bases covered EC, I'm stumped. Have you got a dss lnb lying around? If you don't, come see me. I would point to 91w and attempt to get signal quality from a Bell satellite and the you will at least know your at 91w. I also have a modded lnbf collecting dust in my garage that you can use just in case the lnbf I sold you isn't functioning.

el bandido
08-10-2012, 09:48 AM
What lnb were you sing BEFORE you installed the BSC 621?

08-10-2012, 09:51 AM
He was using a bsc621 that I gave him years back EB.

easily confused
08-10-2012, 05:16 PM
It seems you have all the bases covered EC, I'm stumped. Have you got a dss lnb lying around? If you don't, come see me. I would point to 91w and attempt to get signal quality from a Bell satellite and the you will at least know your at 91w. I also have a modded lnbf collecting dust in my garage that you can use just in case the lnbf I sold you isn't functioning.

Would I be wrong in assuming that the 621 2-d is good because I am getting signal strength? On some tp's on G17 I am getting signal strength of 99% on the CW700s I don't get more than 43 or 44% on the S-9 but I have found that the signal meter on that receiver is not something I would bank heavily on. By dss lnb, are you referring to a circular lnb? I still have an old single lnb that came on my original Bell dish, although it has been lying around for a while.

08-11-2012, 06:51 AM
That's exactly what I'm referring to my friend. Point your dish at 91w and slap that lnb on, exactly what I did with the 8' install when I wasn't getting anything- my lnbf was f****d. If you slap the lnbf back on you should pick up tp from Galaxy 17 or there is something wrong with the new lnbf. As I said in a previous post, I have a modded lnbf in my garage that I know is working that you could use.

easily confused
08-11-2012, 08:34 AM
OK, swapped out the 621 2-d for an old Bell TV lnb and found nothing where 91W is, however, I went to swing the dish way west so I could reach the lnb from the ground and all of a sudden I got 85% Strength and 73% Quality on what the S-9 said was 103 c-Band. Did a blind scan, just for sh*ts and giggles and the darn thing scanned in 463 encrypted channels, all with C-Band frequencies. One of those is channel 8523 tp 7458/V/19999. Now, for some reason, I am sure that I am well beyond 103W but does anyone have any idea what sat this might be? I had the receiver set to Ku, LO at 11250 and 22Kz set to on.

Update:
Suspect I have found Anik F-2 at 111W but why am I scanning in what should be Ku with C-band tp's?

easily confused
08-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Ok, disconnected to S-9 and went back to old faithful, the CW700s and low and behold, it immediately picked up on the fact that I had found 110W so everything seems to be working. Now to swap out the dss and put the 621 2-d back in. and I will aim for Anik F-2 seeing as how I am so close.

easily confused
08-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Ok, an update to what I am classifying as a fairly successful day. I have discovered that, for some reason, none of the receivers seem to detect signal strength. What I did was put the BUD where I was sure there was a satellite and then did a blind scan. As soon as channels were scanned in, then the receivers all show signal strength. Lucky for me I had made a chart that gave the number counts, on the v-box between sat positions so it was fairly simple. I have discovered, though, that I have some work to do as I have everything from 91W to 135W and can't get anything from 89 on down. Obviously I was not as precisely on the belt as I thought. Now to make the corrections and hopefully get the rest of the sats back. Also can only get 2 channels on AMC1 whereas I used to have a whole mess of them so I need to work on that but at least I know that everything seems to be working properly. A huge thanks to Costa for suggesting I try using a dss lnb to locate a sat. I would not have tried that and it was that which allowed me to locate the first satellite and go from there.

08-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Great to see you finally having some success my friend.