PDA

View Full Version : X2 Shop Tests

Pixl
02-11-2013, 03:09 PM
I brought the X2 into our workshop at the Radio Station. Here we have a commercial 12' dish parked at 139w for radio feeds. The X2 did well with these feeds from Global America, Premiere, Clear Channel, and Cumulus radio networks, 562 in all. Over 100 0f them were active today. These have a mix of DVB-s2, AC3, and aac audio, the X2 played them all.
When sorting thru the radio channel list I had the box lock up a few times. Seems you can't get to fast fingered with the X2 or this will happen. Without a power switch you have to pull the plug, kind of a nuisance.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Next was to see what this box can handle. I turned up the load to draw 502.6 ma, 100 over the max rating. Voltage held at 17.99v and no extra heat was observed.

Final test was to take it as high as it would go. As I got up to 650ma the voltage started to fall to 17v. Then somewhere around 700ma the receiver shut down and re-booted.

I was wondering how this little box could easily meet and exceed it's max ratings. Inside under the card reader is the LNB regulator, 2SA928a rated at 2 amps, far beyond the .4 amp LNB rating.
The power supply itself has heavy diodes and a transformer that makes a shame out of the Openbox S-10. Anyone posting that they don't have enough power to move a motor has something else wrong. The X2 has the capability.

I'll post more after I've had the box a few more days.

TunaDude
02-11-2013, 03:20 PM
Hi Pixl glad you putting this box through the ringers always nice to see the 420 pm pixl report so far on the x2 premium

hags
02-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Very nice! Good to see the testing platform and results.

...and no over current protection shutoff until 700ma ?

As you elude to your findings seem contrary to reports elsewhere of a "light" PSU.

el bandido
02-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Elsewhere, you have a MicroHD distributor that gets a commission for every MicroHD sold. What information can you expect to get from a person like this?

BTW, Notice the MicroHD guy never mentions the blind scan of the X²?

hags
02-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Elsewhere, you have a MicroHD distributor that gets a commission for every MicroHD sold. What information can you expect to get from a person like this?

BTW, Notice the MicroHD guy never mentions the blind scan of the X²?

Exactly. The blind scan on the X2 is very good and quick as well.

cpr43
02-11-2013, 07:01 PM
Thanks pixl, Its a quite well build unit. My first one which I'm using since October 2012 is handling 8 double outputs LNB's via (4) 4x4 and (4) 1.0 diseqc switches. I have a 1TB HDD connected to the USB port for movies and an ethernet cable for Internet, 7 days a week almost all the day all long!! The X2 has pulled TPs and channels that I wasnt able to scan in with any of my oldest Stbs (Coolsat 8100HD, Openbox S9 and S10) including TPs with 2000 or lower SRs!!

ViP3R
02-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Very nice info!

Thanks

Pixl
02-15-2013, 10:13 AM
My final thoughts after working with the X2 for a week now.

The good...
The best feature already mentioned by others is the blind scan. Faster by far than any box I've worked with, and it finds everything.
The menus and other operations are easy to figure out, very well designed.
Support for wireless is easy. Most any wireless usb adapter with a Ralink chip will work, just plug it in and all the wireless signals in your area will appear, select one, add user name and password if needed and it connects.
Plug in a usb hub and you can run additional devices simultaneously such as a HDD or usb stick.

The X2 has been out for a few months now and they quickly released several FW updates to fix most of the bugs. There are a few still lingering..
When keying in your local lat and long for USALS there is no save button available. But by some quirk you can save it by exiting that screen to a preset country location and then back and it sticks. Not a big problem as you only need to do this once.
It is disappointing that there are only 32 motor positions that can be saved, 64 would be better, 99 would be the best as it would match the 99 positions in most 1.2 diesqc boxes.
The SD picture quality is not as good as other boxes. HD is better, I've been spoiled by the Raptor I have with great SD and HD.
For the money, you get more than what you paid for.

hags
02-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Excellent write up.

I have come to the same conclusions with the exception of picture quality.

I would only add that picture quality is subjective and there are alot of variables involved with it especially when talking about DIY FTA satellite tv/radio.

Nice to see some tests done on the bench too.

el bandido
02-15-2013, 11:28 AM
I have to agree with Pixl.
The X² does not have the picture quality that most higher priced receivers have. I tested the X² on two televisions and compared it to three different fta receivers, The X² came up short in the picture department every time. But what can you expect from a fifty dollar receiver? EB

TunaDude
02-15-2013, 12:41 PM
the x2 and the picture quality could it not be improved through firmware? since I have tried a lot of different firmware's on my open box I have noticed that when I went back to older firmware the picture quality on the older firmware from 2010 was not as sharp as the new firmware of 2011 and 2012

so along the way this got fixed in the firmware on the open box and the sd and hd both look and play better

so maybe it could be asked of the x2 folks if they to can look into working ON a better sd picture in an added firmware?

what ever open box did in there firmware realy did improve there picture quality on the open box a lot I know the open box uses a different chip but the x2 chip I think is a lot stronger of a chip.. I hear the tuner is more sensitive?

so if it already has it all going for it why couldn't the picture quality be improved?

moon dust
09-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Fellows do you really think it's a good buy?

chifut
09-12-2013, 10:58 AM
I like the X2 . It's much much better then Open box 9 / my previous fta box ../ If we talking for real FTA boxes.../

Costactc
09-12-2013, 12:10 PM

I wouldn't have 2 of them If I didn't think it was a good buy. I have seperate c and ku band sections in my house and my X2 receivers are my mains, especially for blind scanning.

cpr43
09-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Worth every penny!!!

ViP3R
09-12-2013, 06:05 PM
This is a tube video I came across today from PRO96 from satguys comparing the blind scan of the x2 to the Micro HD that costs double the price.

rrob311
09-12-2013, 06:27 PM

Welcome to Legit moon dust! The x2 is the best bang for a buck for an fta receiver that I know of.

easily confused
09-13-2013, 05:29 AM
Welcome aboard moon dust, and I can only echo what everyone else has said. Best bang for the buck.

Gary Bidwell
09-13-2013, 06:43 AM
I have had many other receivers I can only echo what everyone else has said. Best bang for the buck.:brows:

Bill Pihl
09-13-2013, 03:37 PM
It is a GREAT BUY , for the money you can't beat it. Also you can't beat the price and service you get from purchasing it here.

Gary Bidwell
09-14-2013, 11:06 AM
As they say in Belize True True , I have never had as good as service from any other brand of receiver

Silverado5150
09-17-2013, 10:49 AM
Until I purchased my X2 I thought my microHD was the best receiver I had owned. Since then I have disconnected my other receivers and put them away and even bought a second X2 for my son. The price for both was still less than my microHD was.

I love the sharp onscreen menus and having 2 remotes. It makes the Geosat menu look cartoon-ish and no fear of the dreaded boot looping syndrome. A nice serial port there if ever needed. It even plays the PVR .TS files perfectly the microHD created and will no longer play. For some reason those only display as a blue screen that appears to be in fast forward mode.

cpr43
09-17-2013, 12:13 PM
Brian:
For you eyes only!

dr.zin
09-17-2013, 12:36 PM
they came out with an nt78326 based receiver but since my x2 is dead I can't play with their new firmware.

ViP3R
09-17-2013, 04:32 PM
they came out with an nt78326 based receiver but since my x2 is dead I can't play with their new firmware.

You could always purchase another here for 53.95..just make sure you have a proper shipping address.. It's pretty hard to find a box like this for the price..

dr.zin
09-17-2013, 07:56 PM
have a new roof to pay for

cpr43
09-18-2013, 07:55 AM

I got a copy of the beta firmware for their model to try on my X2 but the X2 will not load it (file mismatch)

dr.zin
09-18-2013, 09:27 AM
naturally you have to edit the file before you try to load.
I strip off the header then use ezm to make a new app area file using the edited file as the base.
It was a mistake there that killed my x2.
Before it died I never found nt78326 based firmware other than x2 that would boot and run on the x2.
The remotes are different and many have gone to using a protection ic.
The 3602 based receivers are a lot easier to play with.

dr.zin
09-18-2013, 09:29 AM
a recovery file is a .stp file,which is the app area of firmware with the header stripped off.
So you use ezm to save a new app area file and you basically make your own .stp from oddball firmware you find.
As stated before, one mistake and the x2 is junk.

tanka2
12-08-2013, 09:35 AM
I like that.If you run Forum for free to air did have to be equally for any free to air receiver .

Costactc
12-08-2013, 09:57 AM
I like that.If you run Forum for free to air did have to be equally for any free to air receiver .

Welcome to Legitfta tanka2.

cpr43
12-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Welcome to legitfta!!