PDA

View Full Version : Jynxbox Ultra HD Review

Pixl
03-06-2013, 11:01 AM
The Jynxbox is working out quite well. I had wanted to add to my FTA hobby the ability to receive turbo channels that were not encrypted and also OTA local channels using the ATSC tuner. The Jynx can do both of these.

The guys with the Prof. computer cards have been reporting occasional ITC channels for some time and was driving me nuts. But I'd rather not mess with a computer to do this. STB was the answer and I know there have been a few that can do turbo with special add on cards. But my checks on the used market and Ebay only turned up a Pansats box and turbo card was over $300. The Jynxbox is $165 new and includes the turbo tuner. I added the ATSC tuner for $29.

I have a Direct Slimline dish mounted on a USALS motor, equipped with a circular lnb that covers the entire DBS band + the
lower band used by 118w. The Jynxbox control of the USALS motor has been spot on.
I've loaded in sats 61.5, 72.7, 77.2, 82, 91, 110, 119, 129. I get scrambled turbo channels on all sats, they all have a few that are ITC, barker or Dish slate channels except 61.5, nothing ITC at this time.

Channels with hidden pids can be manually keyed in on the TP menu as long as they are Mpeg. I have not been able to get h264 to key in, and there is no option in the menu to select that mode even though the receiver specs list h264. I think they might be added with a external channel editor. I'll have to work on this.

The ATSC tuner that I almost didn't buy has been a surprise bonus . For the FTA hobbyist it is interesting that it handles OTA signals the same format that sat signals are laid out. The actual OTA carrier frequency is listed in the TP column. Each channel lists the SR as 4000, and pids are also displayed and vary due to dtv assignment main ch, -1, -2, etc.
Pre assigned scan, blind scan, or manual scan all work the same and seem to draw from the included N.A. channel list.
Tuner sensitivity is very good. Previously I was able to get 4 OTA signals with my existing tv. The Jynxbox brought in 3 more from out lying areas with good steady pictures without messing with the antenna.

Conclusion:
I think the Jynxbox Ultra Hd bringing in turbo sats and OTA ATSC is a nice add to your FTA portfolio. I'm not sure it would serve well as your only box. It is not a "go anywhere, do anything" box that we all dream of. There are other receivers out there such as the X2 that have easier to use menus and faster blind scan.

If you want to shop for the Jynx keep a few items in mind.

There are older versions of the receiver (V1) and the tuner (JB100) that work ok, but have some tuner configuration limits. There are three tuners available, but only two slots.

Jynxbox Ultra HD V1 tuner possible combos:
------------

Slot 1: ATSC or JB200-B or DVBS2-B
Slot 2: ATSC or JB200 or DVBS2

Jynxbox Ultra HD V2 tuner possible combos:
------------

Slot 1: ATSC or JB200 or DVBS2
Slot 2: ATSC or JB200 or DVBS2

JB200-B and DVBS2-B are not compatible and are only for V1 boxes.
(info credit Anubis)

I am still learning what I can do with the Jxnx and will be adding to this post. :peace:

eastof111
03-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the review Pixl.

Have you tried recording from the TV tuner yet (sd and hd programs)? Does it maintain the correct time and date? Can you set up daily, weekly recordings?

Thanks

Costactc
03-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Just wondering if you have tried using the jynxbox for true fta channels and if you have is its blind scan fast?

Pixl
03-06-2013, 03:32 PM
East,

Good question. I Haven't had a drive connected yet. I'll have to test that stuff and get back to you.

Pixl
03-06-2013, 03:37 PM
Just wondering if you have tried using the jynxbox for true fta channels and if you have is its blind scan fast?

I haven't had it connected to the main antenna array yet, just a single DTV dish. However the blind scan is not fast. Probably 8-10 minutes for a full sat.

Pixl
03-07-2013, 11:51 AM

Got it connected to my main antenna array, the Jynxbox Ultra easily controls my cascaded switches and 1.2 motor positioner without issue. However the JB200 turbo tuner skips over many tps as it is DVB-S only.
There is a DVB-S2 tuner available that I don't have to test. I've read it gets DVB-s as well as S-2, but should be confirmed.

Pixl
03-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the review Pixl.

Have you tried recording from the TV tuner yet (sd and hd programs)? Does it maintain the correct time and date? Can you set up daily, weekly recordings?

Thanks

I connected a external 40gb usb drive. I easily set up a timed recording, waited and it executed on time , ran for 5 min then stopped, But... it shut off the receiver. Hmmnn.. reminds me of the early Openbox S-9 days. When I powered up I can not find the recorded file.

The clock keeps perfect time, not that there is anything special about it, rather that I am often visiting a DBS signal that has good time at all times. Off the DBS grid it probably drifts like most all other receivers.

Costactc
03-07-2013, 12:52 PM
It scans in turbo 8psk but not s2/8psk, it's either or. One isn't compatible with the other.

kodaz
05-04-2013, 03:52 PM
are you saying that it is useless to have an S2 and a Turbo both at the same time installed in the jynx?
I was hoping that they would both work ... or just saying that yo have to go to tuner 1 for turbo, then select tuner 2 for scanning S2 or something like that
thanks

mountaineer
05-04-2013, 07:21 PM
I have jynx with S2 and Turbo tuner. they both work fine on mine. Have to set up each sat as either tuner 1 or tuner 2, depending on which one is which in your system. I watch DN FTA channels and regular DVB S2 channels on the same box each with the correct tuner. Hope that helps.