PDA

View Full Version : Big C-BAND dish Assembly

chewie
04-23-2013, 08:41 AM
Hello Gents
I have a question for the members in this forum regarding assembling a 8 to 10 foot dish while the the polar mount is on the pole, just adding the panels to the mount ring.
I have read and been told that is best to assemble the dish panels on a flat surface, in the other hand, some people where I work have told me that they had 10 foot dishes installed in their houses by a professional installer and they assemble the dish on the mount and never had any problems.
What are the cons assembling the dish on the mount?
any comments would be appreciated.
Regards.
Chewie

cpr43
04-23-2013, 08:47 AM
Chewie
Until someone with more experience let you know, here is a good reading about it meanwhile

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Costactc
04-23-2013, 12:11 PM
I have never assembled a bud with the polar mount on the pole but did do it with 8' solid last year. Although more man power will be required to get the dish and mount on the pole if it has been assembled on the ground, it is much easier. When you assemble with polar mount on the pole you must make sure you have others around that can hold the panels for you while your tightening them or else you might warp it or even rip the mesh. JMO.

Sublime
04-24-2013, 07:47 AM
When I assembled my 7 and 10 foot Orbitrons, the instrictions said to build the frame/mount on a flat surface, lift on to the pole and then slide the mesh panels into the frame. Lifting the frame onto the pole was a two man job, but the rest I did myself...well, maybe I did have someone hold the frame while I inserted the panels. The only problem I had was putting too much pressure on one of the panels and put a hand-sized dent in it. It wouldn't slide in easily, you see...

chewie
04-24-2013, 08:18 AM
Hello Gents
Thanks for your comments, this is a option I am looking at, my dish is 8 panel solid dish and it weight around 250 to 270 lbs, is all assemble on the ground, but I have noticed that when I try to lift a bit , where the panels come together it kind of opens to the sides like this (), I am worry the panels are going to get warped because of this when the dish is turn over.
Thanks again.
Regards.
Chewie

rrob311
04-24-2013, 08:22 AM
The dish will be more true if you assemble it face down and tighten it evenly across. Depending on how much slack is between the hardware if you assemble it on the mount it will be warped slightly. I have had good luck with damaged dishes resetting them on the ground. Gravity can be your friend. My 10 Winegard took a few beatings and was no longer true so I loosened up all of the bolts when the dish was face down and was able to straighten it out mostly. A concrete slab driveway would probably work best. Maybe lay a tarp down so the paint doesn't get scratched. I had to put mine down on the grass but it still worked.

chewie
07-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Hello Gents
Here is my installation of my dish.
Regards.
Chewie

Costactc
07-07-2013, 01:20 PM
Nice pictures Chewie. Good job.

rrob311
07-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Chewie when I set my skew and depth I find a transponder on my due south satellite. Bump the dish up down left and right to get a peak signal/quality reading. I then watch the signal quality using my receiver or handheld meter and I adjust the skew/depth until I get a peak reading. Once you have that set it should be pretty close. Once you move it to another bird you can fine tune it some more.

I have found that when not having an automatic skew adjustment that it is best to set the skew near the due south satellite for best overall performance.

chewie
07-07-2013, 06:00 PM
hello Costa and Rob
Thanks for you comments, the reason I was asking about how to set the skew and tighten the skew on the LNB, is because when I am a due south I can not reach the darn LNB.
I was playing around today and put a wood stick in the center of the dish about the same size of the button hook pipe and I could not reach the top of the stick and I am about 6 feet tall.
well, If I have to do any adjusting of the LNB i will move the dish left or right until I can reach it and make the adjustment and go back to due south.
Thanks guys you are great.
Regards.
Chewie

rrob311
07-07-2013, 08:42 PM
If you go to the dishpointer website and punch in your longitude and latitude it will tell you the proper skew for whatever satellite is in question. Luckily I don't have that problem. I am able to reach my lnb ok standing on my 13 in 1 ladder and having long arms helps out a lot lol.

Pixl
07-08-2013, 08:24 AM
Just set the dish at it's due South position and observe what part of the reflector is at the very top, perhaps one of the panel seams for reference. Then move the dish back down where you can reach it. Position the LNB so that the vertical probe is pointed at the due South reference you made. Done. This will give you the best "middle of the road" setting for all sats in the arc.

chewie
07-09-2013, 08:26 AM
Thanks for your suggestions, I will check it out Pixl.
Regards.
Chewie

chewie
07-14-2013, 09:43 AM
Hello Gents
Here is this update, I installed the hook and Ortho feed to the dish and so far I have scan, 116.8W, 113.0W, 107.3W, 105.0W, 103.0W, 101.0W, 99.2W AND 97.0W so far it's looking good.
I want to make sure I am in the ARC before I start to make adjustments to the Ortho feed for ultimate signal.
I thank you all for your comments and suggestions.
Best Regards.
Chewie.

chewie
08-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Hello gents
Here is the final set up of this dish and the signals I am getting with it.
Regards.
Chewie