PDA

View Full Version : Dilectric Plate

Costactc
06-22-2013, 07:38 AM
I've been using an lnbf on c band for many years but have never tested out the di-lectric plate. I'm just curious as to how it will perform on the circular Atlantic sats and also if it will effect my linear sats. Any input would be highly appreciated.

Pixl
06-22-2013, 08:04 AM
The dielectric plate will work reasonably well to convert your linear lnbf to circular, perhaps not quite as well as a lnb designed from the ground up as circular, that is if you can even find one.
Linear signals will be degraded if you leave the plate in while going back to your regular sats.

Costactc
06-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Just wondering approximately how much signal loss will be on the linear sats as they all scan in with excellent signal quality with the exception of some s2/8psk channels. Going to give it a shot right now.

Costactc
06-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Dilectric plate has been inserted. I checked out the Russian tp on Express AM44 at 11w and without the plate signal quality was at 60%. Upon insertion the quality dropped to 25% and the channel wasn't visible. I changed the polarity and the signal increased to 62%. I moved the bud over to Nss 806 at 40.5w and attempted to watch channel Argentinisima which wasn't visible prior to the plate insertion and the channel is now showing. Finally, I moved the dish to Amc 6 for the CW channel and signal quality hasn't dropped at all. I think I found myself something to tinker with on this long weekend.

Costactc
06-22-2013, 10:19 AM
Just finished a scan of Ses 4 at 22w, an incredible 34 open channels. At this rate I might just do another arc thread for the Atlantic satellites.

eastof111
06-22-2013, 10:37 AM
If you want to experiment with dielectrics, you might want to try using an old BIC style pen barrel (clear plastic) and cut it to fit snugly within the feed throat. I experimented many years ago when I had access to the Atlantic sats, and found it improved the signal over the standard dielectric plate. Doesn't sound logical, but it worked for me. Also, you might insert a 1/8 inch length metal rod to each end of the BIC barrel. It seemed to help on some weak sats. Good luck, and I sure do miss those sats.

Costactc
06-22-2013, 11:53 AM
I'm just amazed at how many more channels are opening for me. I am definitely going to start an Atlantic sat thread. Also give me a chance to clean up my receivers as well by deleting all channels and starting from scratch. I'll give the plate a try East and get back to you about that other type of feed.