PDA

View Full Version : My Review of the VU+ Duo2 FTA Receiver

el bandido
10-06-2013, 01:31 AM
VU+ Is a new line of fta receiver for me. The VU+ Duo2 has a list of specs that I really liked so I decided to try one. The Duo2 that I purchased has 4 DVB-S2 tuners installed. I got the 4 tuner option so I could eliminate some switches and increase recording capabilities. In this first post, I will explain a little bit of what I have discovered about this receiver, then follow up later with some pictures and comments.

VU+ Duo2 Price as Tested: About $750.00 U.S.
This price includes 4 DVB-S2 tuners, plus 1 ATSC USB Experimental tuner.
There will be additional cost later as I add a decent internal hard drive.

First Impression: I love It!
The speed and overall performance of this receiver meets or exceeds my expectations.

BlindScan: Poor or None
BlindScan does not mean that much to me, but it is a feature that I want and need.
The Duo2 BlindScan operates from a plugin that is almost identical to the AZBox Premium Plus in E2.
There is no C band BlindScan. BlindScan only works for tuner 1.

Picture: No complaints from me for HD or SD formats.

Firmware: Enigma2 (E2)

Overall Performance: Excellent!
The speed and smoothness of the tested E2 images is far above any other receiver that I have.

There are a ton of features in the Duo2, so it will probably take me at least a couple of months to fully understand this receiver's capabilities. I am also involved in a project to get ATSC (OTA) working so i can use this receiver to view the local tv stations. More on this as it develops.

As for the BlindScan, I just do not know. The plugin for this feature appears to be table dependent, and this would explain why there is no C band BlindScan. This is old technology that I hope gets updated.

Feel free to ask any questions that you may have about this receiver. I will do my best to answer them and I will post more information as time permits. EB

Edit: Blindscan works on C band using Firmware openatv-3.0-vuduo2-20131018
Two tuner blindscan is not currently available for tuners A&B. Blindscan does work for two tuners using tuner A and tuner C

el bandido
10-06-2013, 02:15 AM
The Duo2 is packaged exceptionally well.
The giftbox is not fancy. Just a box with some writing on it.

The Duo2 is Made in Korea

A couple more box pictures.

On my scales, the Duo2 weighs 6 pounds & 3 ounces

The Remote (RCU) is an exceptional piece.

el bandido
10-06-2013, 02:36 AM
The Duo2 was shipped with an unknown E2 image.
This image was quickly replaced with BlackHole 2.0.6

The Weather is impressive!

The 139W Radio Channels scan in nicely.

Lol

el bandido
10-06-2013, 10:36 AM
Powerful Dual Core CPU
No more interrupted moment when using DUO2
With the Powerful Dual Core CPU 1.3 GHz (MIPS based), the speed of operating functions is faster than you ever imagined. You will be satisfied with the system loading speed of functions such as booting, using plug-ins, or channel tuning.

Dual Display
Double viewing screens provide double amount of convenience
The front panel of Duo2 is equipped with both LCD and VFD. (TFT LCD 3.2" / 262,000 Color / 16bit) VFD provides basic information such as channels and time, while LCD screen provides more interesting information or use the LCD screen as a digital picture frame by putting your personal photo slides and so on. Dual display can increase both text and graphic content of multiple presentations. through LCD4Linux Plug-in. For example, you can have frequently updated weather, With the dual display option, viewing experience comfort level will be intensified.

1080p FULL HD
Make your TV screen more realistic than ever before with DUO2
The strong performance is ideal for 1080p Full High Definition decode and display. You will enjoy every second of watching TV due to the sharp and vivid images on your TV screen.

Double & Double Tuner
Experience up to 4 tuners with only twin plug-able tuners.
Double & Double tuner in Duo2 indicates twin plug-able tuner system with the availability of using dual tuner. You can experience to have up to 4 tuners with only 2 tuners inserted in DUO2. Moreover, as its tuner system is for DVB-S2 or DVB-T/C, your choice of watching TV will be even more fulfilling.

Built-in Wi-FI
Easy and Simple Internet Connection with Built-in Wi-Fi
Duo 2 features built-in Wi-Fi that connects to the Internet without any additional devices or wires. With the built-in Wi-Fi, you can fully enjoy high-definition streaming or web browsing. Built-in Wi-Fi allows enhanced multimedia applications with the easy access to the Internet.

Transcoding
Enjoy TV contents on your personal mobile devices.
Duo2 is the only box with the transcoding feature, which enables watching TV or other contents in different rooms via streaming. It provides the new level of convenience by providing transcoding system. Make your watching TV moment extra interactive with your personal electronic devices such as iPad or smart phones by down converting.

Recording up to 16 channels
DUO2 makes it impossible to miss any of your favorite channel.
You can record up to 16 Live channels simultaneously. There may be moments when you had to miss one for the other channels due to the lack of recording ability of previous STB. However, with DUO2, it is literally impossible for you to leave out any LIVE channels. With HDD (3.5 inch) internally equipped, you can play the recorded files whenever you want from Archive.

HbbTV
Enjoy interactive services on your own living room.
Duo 2 is the "HbbTV" supported set-top box. "HbbTV", Hybrid Broadcast Broadband TV, is a major new pan-European initiative aimed at harmonizing the broadcast and broadband delivery of entertainment to the end consumer through connected TVs and Set-Top Boxes. In other words, HbbTV enables you to experience web browsing while watching the Live channel interactively at the same time. Main applications include TV Guide, Catch-up service, web video, VOD, or portal service. Additionally, you can check the weather, sports, news and etc,.

HD Picture in Picture
More satisfactory experience of watching main & supplementary screens in HD quality.
PiP(Picture in Picture) is displayed in High-Definition. There are no such thing as less important screen in DUO2 as it makes every viewing moment in HD quality.

Plug-Ins
Double up your entertainment choices with various Plug-Ins.
Various plug-ins developed by independent developers makes the whole experience of using DUO2 simple and incredibly fun. You can enjoy all those plug-ins with just simple click of downloading. There are Plug-ins made just for DUO2. For example, Vu+ AirPlay Plug-in provides easy content streaming of audio, video and photos from your personal electronic devices such as iPhones or iPads. You can view any contents from your TV screen to your mobile devices anywhere you want as long as you are in the same network. Not only do Plug-ins provide entertainment, but they also enable you to customize your own DUO2. It can have daily weather check frequently updated or even slide show of your favorite pictures.

solrackm
10-07-2013, 10:56 AM
how is the tuner sensitivity compared to the x2?

cpr43
10-07-2013, 01:04 PM

My friend, It will be better to ask how is the price compared to the X2?

el bandido
10-07-2013, 01:19 PM
My tests so far show the Duo2 to be at least equal to the X2. I have not had the opportunity yet to test the 78W Brazil satellite and see if one receiver will open a DX channel while the other will not. This test will have to wait for the right opportunity.
Also, the picture quality on the Duo2 is noticeably better than the X2 in both HD & SD. Some would argue that it takes more information to open a channel if the X2 opened a very weak channel and the Duo2 did not. Anyway, I will try to test this at some point.

My friend, It will be better to ask how is the price compared to the X2?
While you are comparing price, you might want to compare features.

solrackm
10-07-2013, 01:35 PM
I have been looking closely at the vuo2 with all its features and the price. Being that you have both the x2 and the vuo2, what do you think in your opinion about tuner sensitivity? I have the x2 and so far I have not seen any other sat receiver that has the x2 tuner strength in my opinion.

solrackm
10-07-2013, 01:46 PM
p.s I missed post#7 you answered the tuner part for me. I read all the features. I also have the optibox raptor and love the features it has. price not much of a problem as long the receiver can kick ass.

cpr43
10-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Sorry, I thought you were thinking they were both in the same range.

el bandido
10-07-2013, 04:34 PM
There are several people on this forum that can and would buy a receiver such as the Duo2 if it does what they need or want it to do. The reason I started this thread is to provide information so an informed decision can be made before buying.

At the moment, I am focused on what is happening with the USB ATSC tuner that I have attached to this receiver. This is tuner E(#5), and I have seen it wake up due to coding changes and efforts. The ATSC tuner was not being recognized when I first bought the box. Attached are a few pictures of the ATSC tuner progress. (Note: DVB-s2 Tuners C and D are not configured yet because they are not connected to a dish antenna.)

More information will be posted as this project develops. EB

rrob311
10-07-2013, 08:13 PM
Will the receiver do 16apsk signals like the Triplex and the Openbox S10?

el bandido
10-07-2013, 08:28 PM
I do not know where any 16apsk are to test that are string enough for me to get a signal on. What is the strongest 16apsk signal for you?

rrob311
10-07-2013, 09:22 PM
The only ones I have tuned in have been the horse racing feeds on 95w cband with the 1035 SR. They are marginal with my 10 foot dish but a couple lock consistently. I am not sure where any others are.

el bandido
10-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Those are too weak for my C band system to lock. You will have to find something stronger than those for me to test, preferably on the KU band.

el bandido
10-08-2013, 06:18 AM
A quick test this morning shows the tuner sensitivity of these receivers to be about equal. MSNBC at 15W has a habit of "tearing" or "glitching" in the early AM. The cause of this is unknown, but the signal is poor on this transponder right now. I connected the X2 and the "tearing" or "glitching" is about equal to the Duo2. This test is far from scientific or controlled, but I can conclude that if you are having weak signal problems with one of these receivers, you will have the same problem on the other receiver.

The SD picture is much better on the Duo2 than the X2. IMO, this is an unfair comparison due to the price difference of the two receivers. EB

eastof111
10-08-2013, 11:02 PM
EB, can you store and use more than one image currently?

el bandido
10-09-2013, 02:10 PM
I do not have a hard drive connected so I do not know about storing an image. You can use only one image at a time, and there are several different groups to choose from. Right now, I am only focusing on the Black Hole images.

chewie
10-09-2013, 04:16 PM
EB, ON MY AZBOX, I can store another Enigma Image to usb, it has to be the same kernal for both Images.
Regards.
Chewie

el bandido
10-09-2013, 05:51 PM
The Duo2 Black Hole image allows for backup.

6145 6147 6146

eastof111
10-09-2013, 05:58 PM
Cool... just like the option in software management in E2.

el bandido
10-20-2013, 12:30 AM
The Duo2 is a very sensitive receiver. It seems to be performing a bit better than the X2 on weak channels. My X2 has been able to open some weak channels that my other receivers could not open due to a weak signal.

Attached are pictures of my weakest Ku channels. These two channels are found on Simón Bolívar at 78W, and on Galaxy 11 at 55.5W

Simón Bolívar (Ku)

Galaxy 11 (Ku)

Costactc
10-20-2013, 05:35 AM
Nice pics EB, what are you using to upload them?

el bandido
10-20-2013, 07:35 AM
E2 Web Interface.

el bandido
10-20-2013, 01:22 PM
I have a 6ft. Ku dish on tuner A. I am driving this dish using a positioner and Diseqc 1.2 commands. The E2 firmware for this receiver does an excellent job in this area for me. Diseqc 1.2 positions may be assigned in any Legal order. there is an option in the menu to enter the Diseqc 1.2 position you desire or need for a particular satellite.

There are 3 digits available for Diseqc 1.2. I do not know of any positioners that will store past 99, but it looks like this firmware is ready just in case your positioner can store 100 positions or more.

If the Diseqc 1.2 command is broken for some reason while the dish is being moved, the command is resent and the dish starts to move again. For example, let's say I am on a satellite at 125 West. Then I tell the dish to move to 30 West, the dish will briefly stop on its journey to 30 West if I press a button on the receiver's remote. But the dish will start moving again to 30 West shortly after the remote control button was pressed. Not all receivers will do this. Some receivers will stop the dish dead in its track if you send another command while the dish is moving.

Bottom Line: I cannot find any bugs or flaws in the Diseqc 1.2 system of the Duo2 using the Black Hole Image. EB

6261 6262

rrob311
10-20-2013, 05:16 PM
what brand of tuner is inside the duo? I am interested in any receiver that has a good tuner since I have so many trees in the way.

el bandido
10-20-2013, 05:37 PM
I do not know the name of the tuner. Did not see anything written on it. But I can tell you the tuner is not strong enough to go through a tree.

rrob311
10-20-2013, 07:23 PM
If it is more sensitive than the x2, I will see an improvement along my arc.

eastof111
10-20-2013, 08:24 PM
The best tuner is a chain saw...:smiley14:

el bandido
10-20-2013, 09:13 PM
A sensitive tuner may help to open a weak channel or it may allow a channel to open that is in a lot of noise.
A sensitive tuner will not automatically improve the performance of a receiver over an entire arc.

Some would say the X2 has a very sensitive tuner because it will find weak transponders and it will open weak channels that other receivers will not.
Others would say that the X2 does not have the high quality picture of some other receivers, and the reason it can open weak channels is because less information is needed to form a picture.

My experience with the Duo2 so far is it has a very good tuner that is about as sensitive as it needs to be. the Duo2 has a very good HD and SD picture. Very high picture qualities with this receiver!
You can only do a certain amount of signal acquisition with a tuner. The dish antenna system has to do its part too!

el bandido
10-21-2013, 09:17 PM
I loaded Openatv-3.0 firmware today. I think this operating system would be better suited for most people in North America. Blind scan works for both C and Ku bands with this firmware. I also noticed that tuners A and C would both support blindscan. In my earlier tests using tuners A & B, blindscan only worked in tuner A

The double tuners in the Duo2 are set up on 2pc boards or two cards. So tuner A is above tuner B, and Tuner C is located directly across from tuner A. Tuner A and C are also on different pc boards so that may explain why blindscan works for these two tuners.

eastof111
10-21-2013, 10:51 PM
"The double tuners in the Duo2 are set up on 2pc boards or two cards. So tuner A is above tuner B, and Tuner C is located directly across from tuner A. Tuner A and C are also on different pc boards so that may explain why blindscan works for these two tuners."

EB, glad to hear that blindscan is working. If I remember, you mentioned Ku blindscan worked with BH, but not C and now C and Ku works with Openatv. I am slightly confused... don't understand why the physical tuner setup would have any correlation on blind scan working. Also, I am guessing Openatv is more advanced in blindscan development than BH or any other image at this point? How does it compared to a reference receiver of your choice?

el bandido
10-22-2013, 12:13 AM
You are slightly confused? Try it from this end.
Blackhole images run blindscan from a plugin.
Openatv Images have blindscan in the menu. (See Attached.)
Openatv has more settings for blindscan than the Blackhole plugin does.
A version of Openatv is available for AzBox Premium Plus.

About the tuners:
I currently have 3 dishes, so I ordered a tuner for each dish, plus one extra tuner (4 DVB-S2 tuners total).
Tuners are available as single tuners(1pc board per tuner) or as double tuners(1 pc board for 2 tuners).

There are only two slots for tuners in the Duo2. My guess is the firmware for blindscan only recognizes 1 slot. Maybe having the two tuners in one slot is confusing the blindscan firmware? Anyway, this was my line of thinking when I moved C band from tuner B to tuner C.

Another thing:
All 4 DVB-S2 tuners can share the same orbit position in the satellite file. So instead of having separate C and Ku satellite orbits, you may use one satellite orbit location for both. Each individual tuner allows for separate or unique switch settings, including separate USALS or Diseqc 1.2 settings. This is typical for most E2 firmwares.
When C band was assigned to tuner B, I noticed that blindscan had Ku Ghz parameters defined, and I could not change these to blindscan C band. I had already blindscanned the ku channels before I tried the C band blindscan on tuner B.
But when I moved the C band coax to tuner C, I got C band Ghz parameters for the blindscan. With Ku on tuner A, and C band on tuner C, I can blindscan the same satellite orbit location and I will get the correct Ghz parameters for either band. Not So when the two bands are assigned to tuners A & B!
I would expect some of this to be fixed soon, but with a fta receiver, you never know!.

Blindscan on both bands is poor, but it is better than nothing. The blindscans seem to take less than 5 minutes. I may actually time some later just to see how long they really take.

In the past, I have ran different E2 images on several different brands of receivers. I like E2 because of the freedom(s) it gives the operator to change and customize things. E2 is a natural choice for those that have large switches or big dish farms. E2 does not have some things the average fta user might expect such as an on-board channel editor.

As far as comparisons, I expect the Duo2 to replace my Raptor. The Raptor does about everything I need in a fta receiver. What the Raptor lacks in factory firmware can be made up if you load an E2 image.
As an example, the Raptor has problems opening channels with symbol rates below about 1800 with factory firmwares. This low symbol rate problem does not exist in E2 firmwares for the Raptor!
So the Duo2 should replace the Raptor as my main receiver at some point in time, but two things need to happen.
(1) I need to understand the limits of the Duo2 and how most of its features work, and (2) The firmware for the Duo2 needs to mature a bit. My guess for this to happen will be early 2014.

eastof111
10-22-2013, 12:42 AM
I can see where this can get confusing until they clean up their code. I am surprised the images have gotten this far so quickly, considering blindscan is not a very popular item across the pond. I can see this box having a lot of potential as they develop its capabilities.

el bandido
10-22-2013, 05:53 PM
This Openatv image works very well.

I can configure some of the remote buttons to do certain tasks. I configured the "Help" button to show the signal (SNR) in db when the help button is pressed. This pop-up will stay on the screen until the exit button is pressed.

A pop-up that shows video content can also be configured. This pop-up will appear when video content changes during a channel change. the pop-up will time out and disappear after about 30 seconds, or by pressing "Exit" on the remote.

Openatv will also fine tune your positioner. on the remote, Press Menu--->SetUp--->Service searching--->Positioner setup. Then press the green remote button for Auto focus. The receiver will move the dish back and forth until maximum signal is obtained.

eastof111
10-22-2013, 06:12 PM
Looks like a very versatile image. I like the part about moving/tuning the dish back and forth similar to the GI/4dtv receivers.

eastof111
10-24-2013, 12:16 AM
I posted a query regarding blindscan back in August on one of the Euro sites. I just checked and a few days ago another poster was requesting the same info. I always assumed blindscan was not that popular over there, but I have to believe there's some people using it. I see many views listed, but no response. How's your atsc project going?

el bandido
10-24-2013, 12:42 AM
ATSC is supposed to be developed in a future firmware. We will see.
And on blindscan, I see the same. It is not just a North American feature.

el bandido
10-26-2013, 11:33 PM
The Duo2 is a Recording Monster with an internal hard drive installed.
As a test, I recorded several channels on the Luken C band mux at 87W, Plus the entire LPB mux on 87Ku at the same time. This was a total of 14 video recordings at one time!
I have no idea what the record because I stopped at 14 to verify that they all recorded and that they all could be watched. Everything checked out OK.

One reason I bought 4 tuners was to have extra record capability. This receiver will be a Recording Monster once all four tuners are connected. There will be 5 tuners when or if ATSC USB support is finished.

el bandido
10-27-2013, 01:11 AM
A decent sized Hard Drive is a must if you plan to record like this. I settled on a 3 terabyte internal hard drive and purchased it locally so I could return it if the receiver did not recognize it.
The Duo2 recognized the drive when it was installed but it would not write anything to it. The 3TB drive was installed right out of the box, without any kind of formatting. I played around with it and tried to record on the new drive and got nothing. I tried to upload some files to the new drive with no success. Then I did a full E2 back-up. For some reason, doing the back-up also set the 3TB drive up. Live & Learn I guess.

el bandido
10-28-2013, 03:25 PM

The OpenVix or Vix Team image is the best so far for blind scanning. It is possible to blind scan both C and Ku bands with the image that is listed in the above picture. This is the first image that I have been comfortable enough to blind scan from scratch. I have imported channels and transponder information for previous image. I did not import anything with this Vix image.

You can blind scan one tuner while recording a different tuner with this Vix image. In other words, you may blind scan c band tuner while recording the ku tuner or vice-verse. This is the first fta receiver I have owned that will allow you to blind scan one tuner while recording on another tuner.

eastof111
10-28-2013, 06:40 PM
Great, so blind scan seems to be getting better depending on the image.

So, there's four available currently, unless I missed one?

1 - VTI
2 - Open PLI
3 - VIX
4 - BlackHole

chewie
10-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Hello EB
how long does it take to blind scan the C-BAND

el bandido
10-28-2013, 07:42 PM
Great, so blind scan seems to be getting better depending on the image.

So, there's four available currently, unless I missed one?

1 - VTI
2 - Open PLI
3 - VIX
4 - BlackHole
There is at least one more, but those 4 seem to be the main ones right now.

Hello EB
how long does it take to blind scan the C-BAND

Depends on the satellite. Which one(s) did you have in mind? I have not bothered to do any time studies, but usually the blindscans are probably within five minutes unless it hangs on a transponder. Sometimes the receiver will get confused or it will sit for some other reason on one transponder for several minutes before it moves.

el bandido
10-28-2013, 07:55 PM
Before I forget, Some of those 4 images that you listed were having problems with the picture jerking on some of the high bit rate HD channels. The image I am using now (see post#41) does not seem to have this problem.

chewie
10-28-2013, 08:27 PM
thanks EB, is doing better than my Azbox, with ATV SW it takes about 30 minutes and not very accurate, i am hoping it gets better.
Regards.
chewie

el bandido
10-28-2013, 09:51 PM
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

I used to run Openatv firmware in my Az Premium Plus. To compare, the Duo2 runs very similar to my Az, except the Duo2 has more features and it seems to be on a high dose of steroids when compared t6o the Az Premium Plus. So if you like Openatv firmware in the Premium Plus, you would love it in the Duo2. I can relate to the thirty minute scan, and the Duo2 would be 5-10 faster than the Az, depending on conditions.

Recording on the Duo2 is fantastic! As a test, I recorded a whole mux on 107.3W C band without any apparent issues. 11 channels at once.

el bandido
10-28-2013, 11:28 PM
Here are some screenshots of some SD channel Cozi. Judge for yourself on how well this receiver works on SD.

el bandido
10-28-2013, 11:49 PM
The Duo2 is blind scanning well enough with this firmware that I could shut the Raptor down and replace it with the Duo2.

Here is a screenshot showing the blind scan update.

Blind Scan Menu

A Blind Scan found 104 Free Radio and TV at 30W Ku.

eastof111
10-29-2013, 12:29 AM
Pretty good video quality.

el bandido
10-29-2013, 06:28 PM
A blind scan of 97W ku took about 3 minutes 30 seconds using the Universal settings in the attached picture. The blind scan results are also attached. The found TV and Radio channel numbers are combined.

I am running 4 DVB-S2 tuners and an internal 3TB hard disk. The tuners get up to around 110 degrees F or about 43 degrees C on the outside of the receiver case. This may feel hot or even burn some people with sensitive skin, but I do not see it as a technical issue. This is not enough heat to melt the coax or to start a fire.

chifut
10-29-2013, 07:27 PM
I got between 268-270 chns TV on KU 97 W never pay attention on the Radio chns..

eastof111
10-29-2013, 08:38 PM
I read earlier some people complaining in regards to the tuners getting hot to the touch. I wonder if this is just symptoms with twin tuners and not the single tuner. In other words, twin tuners in the same chassis vs. a single tuner in the same space. I guess setting up a cpu fan internally and hooking it up to a 5 volt supply (for quieter operation) wouldn't hurt.

How's the editing functions.... renaming, sorting etc?

el bandido
10-29-2013, 10:02 PM
Nothing to edit channels with so far. I will look for something to Plugin, but right now all editing is done over the network.

I did not buy a single tuner, so I have no idea how much cooler the tuners would be if they were singles instead of duals. It appears that the Duo2 tuner area is only about 10 degrees hotter than the same area on the Raptor, so I am not really concerned about it.

The receiver is well laid out with the top cover having vent holes drilled above the tuners and an internal fan to control internal temperature in the receiver. I am not worried about any internal temperature below 40 degrees Celsius.

el bandido
10-30-2013, 05:58 PM
ATSC Support continues to improve in the Black Hole image.
Black Hole makes a special image for us that contains some ATSC support. I have yet to watch terrestrial tv using the Duo2, but I think about 1 more firmware update will change that.
The 2.0.7 Black Hole image now allows scanning for some of the terrestrial channels that are available to my area. There seems to be a problem with where the scanned terrestrial channels are stored so I am unable to view the scanned channels. I expect this to change soon, probably 1 more update or less!

eastof111
10-30-2013, 06:16 PM
Looking better and better. I am waiting for the dollar to go up a few points before a order one. At least that should pay for the shipping.

el bandido
10-31-2013, 07:24 AM
Can't help but wonder if a second atsc usb tuner can be added?

Shipping is high because of the receiver weight, receiver size, and packaging. It is hard to tell what the dollar will do. It may go up or down, but I doubt it moves enough to chnage the price of this receiver. Plain and simple, It is Expensive!

eastof111
10-31-2013, 11:32 AM
"Can't help but wonder if a second atsc usb tuner can be added?"
Did you ask Angel?

In the last two days the dollar has brought the price down by $20. I have a feeling this might continue for a few more days. I might snag one by then. Never really bothered me with local prices when purchasing an expensive item, but for some reason, it irks me the way the Zone controls the prices so rigidly.

el bandido
10-31-2013, 11:36 AM
I will ask about the second ATSC tuner once the first tuner is working. Should hear something soon. They seem very interested in getting ATSC to work!

el bandido
10-31-2013, 10:42 PM
Killer networking capabilities!

I was messing around and did a network scan. The Duo2 was able to identify the network computer(s) and even found the Golden Media TripleX. It did not find the Raptor for some reason during a scan, but the Duo2 was able to connect to the Raptor once I told the Duo2 where to look. All I had to do was enter the Raptor's ip and tell the Duo2 to search for it. So now I have access to the 1TB hard drive in the Raptor, plus access to all of the other hard drives on the network. Very nice and very clean!

el bandido
11-01-2013, 11:08 AM
"Can't help but wonder if a second atsc usb tuner can be added?"
Did you ask Angel?

Here is his reply:

About ATSC device numbers I think it's possible to add it more than one like with DVB USB devices but actually it0s not very improtant this aspect of implementation.
They are running more than one DVB USB tuner so I may buy a second ATSC USB and test it after the first one is proven to work.

eastof111
11-01-2013, 12:12 PM
LOL, now to find the time to watch all those recordings! My wife still has some recordings on her PVR she hasn't watched yet, which were recorded over a year ago...lol Hey, as long as she's happy....

el bandido
11-01-2013, 12:41 PM
I know the feeling.
The Raptor has about 18 gig free out of the 1TB total. Probably more than half of that will never be watched.
The Duo2 has no problem playing files from the Raptor, but I have not been successful connecting the Raptor to the Duo2.

eastof111
11-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Does the Duo2 have DLNA also to connect?

el bandido
11-01-2013, 02:53 PM
The Duo2 scans your network and tells you what is available. It is extremely easy with the Duo2. I will try to post some pictures of how this is done.

el bandido
11-02-2013, 04:29 PM
To look for available networks, enter the Network Browser

Use the color buttons on the remote to scan

Scan Results are displayed.

You may mount parts of some networks

Usernames and Passwords may be assigned for security.

Here is the Mounts Editor Menu.

It is also possible to do an IP scan. I used this to find the Raptor.

el bandido
11-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Here are some image or firmware notes from OpenVIX. Note what is written about the Solo2.

Lassie & Timmy

eastof111
11-02-2013, 05:39 PM
I like that network scan, very well done.

So, with Openvix no blindscan on Solo2, didn't see anything mentioned for Duo2.

el bandido
11-02-2013, 06:14 PM
Just wanting to pimt out that the Solo2 seems to have blind scan issues. I do not know why, but support for blindscan on the Solo2 seems to have problems regardless of the image.

Recent OpenVIX images have refined the blindscan for the Duo2, and I find it to be acceptable. OpenVix blindscan for the Duo2 works on all tuners that I have tested it on. A recent blindscan of 72W can be seen below.

eastof111
11-02-2013, 06:51 PM
Looks like it scanned in KFTL.....

el bandido
11-02-2013, 07:06 PM
Yes it did. That transponder was not in the receiver's sat file either, so the Duo2 had to find it blind.

eastof111
11-02-2013, 08:46 PM
That's what I wanted to hear... getting better and better!

eastof111
11-03-2013, 12:26 PM
You said you haven't found an editor yet.... so do any of the images supply an editor? Have you tried Dreamset and entering the directory for the files to see if it will download?

el bandido
11-03-2013, 01:46 PM
DreamboxEdit works, and I would imagine other E2 editors would work. Some E2 images I have seen had a built-in editor, but they were buggy. I am hoping a plugin editor will be added.

VU+ does not want to be a German or European box. They want to be a World-Wide box. This is reflected in their firmware and addons. I think they will add a plugin editor if they know it is needed.

eastof111
11-03-2013, 04:18 PM
I see they all ready posted VU+Duo2 BlackHole v2,0,7ATSC in one of the Spansih sites. The more the better!

el bandido
11-03-2013, 05:58 PM
I will post the ATSC file here...when it works!

eastof111
11-04-2013, 01:15 PM
EB... How long does it take you to switch images? How long to restore dish settings for each image?

el bandido
11-04-2013, 02:26 PM
I do not know because I have not timed them. It is very fast though, probably three to five minutes.

el bandido
01-28-2014, 08:50 PM
It has been a couple of months since I have made any comments in this thread so I thought I would update it a bit.

The Duo2 has been used as my main receiver since December 2013. It replaced my Optibox Raptor which is still in use at another location.
Tuners A,C, & D are currently in use. Tuner B will probably be used later this year when another dish is added. Here is a list of how these three tuners are normally set:
Tuner A = 1.8 meter dish, motorized with a VBox positioner.
Tuner C = 2.2 meter dish, motorized with a GBox positioner
Tuner D = 1,2 meter dish, motorized with a DG380 motor.
Tuners A&D are ku band. Tuner C is C band.

To date, blind scan only works on tuners A&C. This needs to be fixed where blindscan works equal for all tuners.
The Duo2 blindscan is decent but it can be painfully slow on some satellites.

Tuner E, ATSC does not work. I am still hopeful with this one, but no progress in this area has been made for months.

OpenVix Images seem to work the best for North America. The current OpenVix build is 3.0.808, from December 2013.

The Duo2 Picture Quality is the best of any fta receiver that I have tested to date.

The Duo2 is also King of Record. This receiver can record an entire mux at one time. It can also record while scanning. I have yet to find the true recording limits of this receiver.

The hardware seems to be good. I have left the Duo2 running for days on end and have yet to have any type of hardware failure.

Here are some things that I hope are fixed soon:
Blindscan for ALL installed tuners. (The Duo2 supports additional DVB-S2 usb tuners).
The ability to play AAC radio channels.
The ability to record radio channels.

Overall I am extremely pleased with the Duo2. The only thing I might change if I were to buy it again today would be the tuners. VU+ has been slow to fully support the double tuners, so I might purchase just two tuners instead of four. IMO, extra tuners should not have been offered if they are not fully supported. EB

el bandido
01-28-2014, 11:01 PM
The way Enigma2 satellite channel information is stored and handled on the Duo2 is different than a lot of other receivers that do not use the Enigma system.

When a satellite is scanned, three entries are created for it. The three entries are: Services, Providers, and New.
Selecting "Services" will list all channels (unless radio channels have been set to a separate Radio file).
Selecting "Providers" will show the channels grouped under their provider (if known).
Selecting "New" will display any channels that have been recently scanned.

Bouquets can be created for each scanned satellite. All or some of the channels may be moved to the Bouquet. The individual satellite Bouquets are grouped under Favorites.

The Favorites section has some edit features for the existing Bouquets, and the option to create a new Bouquet.

el bandido
01-28-2014, 11:24 PM
Enigma2 si designed to store large amounts of channels, so you do not have to worry as much about having too many channels or transponders.

You may delete all of the channels for a satellite on the Duo2 by pressing the menu button when a satellite is selected.

Different skins may be selected. This allows extra customizing options to the Duo2.

A network connection between a computer and the receiver is a must if you want to customize a satellite file or do extensive channel renaming or renumbering.

For me, I usually modify the satellite file to my liking, then I will scan one transponder manually per satellite. This is done so I can make a bouquet for each satellite. If you scan a satellite, and let the receiver automatically make the Bouquet for it, then every channel that was found will be sent to the Bouquet for that satellite. This will probably result in some channels needing to be deleted.
Normally I will have every channel that can be found on a satellite stored in the receiver under the satellite menu. Then I scroll through the found channels and transfer the ones I want to the Bouquet for that satellite or to another Bouquet that I have created.
Setting up Bouquets like this allows me to scan or blindscan the satellites without worrying about what is found. I can copy any new channels to a Bouquet, and If I have renamed a channel in a Bouquet, that name is not erased or overwritten when the satellite is rescanned.

eastof111
01-29-2014, 12:18 AM
"The Duo2 is also King of Record. This receiver can record an entire mux at one time. It can also record while scanning. I have yet to find the true recording limits of this receiver."

I would add that this includes perfect IPTV stream recording while watching a sat channel or blind scanning.

el bandido
01-29-2014, 12:27 AM
The Duo2 has done a good job of being able to copy or play files from other receivers and computers. The Duo2 can play or copy files from other devices connected to my network whic include the Optibox Raptor, the Golden Media TripleX, and a computer.

Network speed is a factor when transferring or playing files. It will only work as good as the network it is on.
Copying files does not require a fast and efficient network, but playing a high definition or a high bit rate file does require decent network speed. A given router may have a decent speed rating, but its speed will be spread out over every device that is connected to the router. The only problems I have had with playing files has been when something else connected to the router is loading it. My router is not fast enough to support high speed fast forward or reverse when file sharing.

Pale-Rider
03-15-2014, 10:27 AM
Personally I can't comment on the Duo2 as I dont own one, but I have almost every other Vu+ receiver made to date, my favorite always comes back to the Vu+ Solo2 and this is the receiver I use as my own personal Dev box. As for Enigma2 as a operating system in it's own rite it's a very mature system and by far the most popular with developers and users alike in the UK and Europe. It's quite nice to see it starting to take hold in north america too ( at long last might i add ).

el bandido
03-15-2014, 10:42 AM
The Solo2 was not really considered by me because it did not appear to be able to blindscan. Now that they have added that, the Solo2 may become an affordable VU+ option here in North America.

Pale-Rider
03-15-2014, 10:53 AM
Blind scan has never particularly interested me probably because E2 was dreadful for this, although i did briefly play with it on the Uno and Ultimo ( these use the same tuners as the Duo2 ). Huevos is our main man when it comes to blindscan and it's his work that is the backbone of the Blindscan plugin in ViX and ATV.

eastof111
03-15-2014, 02:32 PM
Blind scan has never particularly interested me probably because E2 was dreadful for this, although i did briefly play with it on the Uno and Ultimo ( these use the same tuners as the Duo2 ). Huevos is our main man when it comes to blindscan and it's his work that is the backbone of the Blindscan plugin in ViX and ATV.

Your opinion pls as to why E2 seems to be blindscan unfriendly while StiLinux (Octagon, Icecrypt, Fortis et al) seems to get the job accomplished very well? This would include categories of speed and accuracy.

Pale-Rider
03-15-2014, 02:47 PM
several factors really.

Enigma 2 has never really paid much attention to blindscan as previous attempts were poor software based attempts instead of hardware based, this meant that many serious users ignored Enigma2 all together for blind scanning and many still do, plus it just was not a selling point under enigma 2 until very recently with the release of dedicated hardware supported tuners for the Vu+ Uno, Ultimo, Duo2.

Another issue is the software support to go along with the new tuners has always been very lacking from the manufacturers, it took Huevos a great deal of his own time to create a working Blindscan plugin for ViX as our support requests to Vu+ were falling on deaf ears or they just did not understand what he was asking for. Then there is the likes of pli who want fully functioning plugins from the manufacturer and they poo poo all others works unless its specifically coded for their own image.

so to sum it up, poor support from the manufacturers and the perception that Enigma2 was not for the serious user meant that no one really paid any attention to enigma 2 for blind scanning, and most still dont.

eastof111
03-15-2014, 03:03 PM
Thanks, so technically there's no reason why E2 eventually should not be able to be as good as the Fortis blindscan.

Pale-Rider
03-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Thanks, so technically there's no reason why E2 eventually should not be able to be as good as the Fortis blindscan.

Eventually, yes.

eastof111
03-15-2014, 05:45 PM
Looking forward to see this box succeed in that department.

el bandido
02-28-2015, 08:39 PM
Finally!
An ATSC terrestrial solution by Sundtek is now available for the Duo2 and other set top boxes. I will start a discussion thread about this later, but really Happy to see terrestrial stations added to this great receiver. EB

10985 10986

chewie
03-01-2015, 12:13 AM
I want one.

el bandido
03-01-2015, 10:03 AM
I want at least one more myself. The Sundtek ATSC is 100 percent functional, and scans better than my tv. Give me some time to get an information thread up.