PDA

View Full Version : DR HD D15

Costactc
03-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Thinking of picking up the DR HD D15 receiver with a built in professional spectrum analyser. I have heard that its tuner is even more sensitive then my technomate 5302 and would make an excellent addition for c band blind scanning:

The D15 receiver features professional and user-friendly functions. Built from high quality components, and fully DVB compliant, the D15 is great value for money. Additional features include a Pro-grade Spectrum Analyzer, built-in upscaling, Youtube, Google Maps, Weather and other Internet functions.

Play your HD media files the built-in media player which supports the most popular formats and containers include MKV.

Features
All the Linux-box features without Linux, faster and more stable
A fast 32bit processor (550MHz, 850DMIPS)
High quality High Definition picture via HDMI: both SD and HD
Upscale function for viewing of normal SD channels upscaled up to 1920x1080p
Media player supports: video, music and pictures
Wide-angle RCU (easy to operate) with fluorescent buttons, visible in darkness
Fast Ultra-CAS card reader, official Crypton support
Common Interface slot for CAMs
HDTV on-screen display
Youtube, Google Maps, Weather and other Internet functions
USB 2.0 port for PVR functions (recording, timeshift, etc)
LAN port for Internet
Wi-Fi (via optional USB dongle)
Professional grade SPECTRUM ANALYZER embedded (for DIY dish installation)
Blind scan of any satellite
DVB-S and DVB-S2 compatible
Decoding of MPEG-2, MPEG-4 SD, MPEG-4 HD, H.264 AVC, MKV
Supports 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
HDMI output for best digital picture quality without any conversion loss
S/PDIF optical digital audio output
DiSEqC 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, USALS
EPG, Subtitles and Teletext
Parental control
ECO-friendly power saving 1W standby mode (green PSU)
Many other functions, regular software updates
Rear panel connections: 1 X RCA Video, 2 X RCA Audio (L & R), S/PDIF: Fiber Optic, Ethernet LAN port, HDMI, USB, Digital Tuner Input, Loop-through Digital tuner, 9-pin serial data
Weight 1.6 Kg
Size: 260mm x 53.5mm x 181mm

big o
03-05-2014, 08:07 PM
Costactc, I have heard that the DR HD D15 and the Technomate TM-F3/5 HD are a clone of a clone. But the DR D15 came out first about 8 month ago. They say they came from the same factury... I like mine very much . I don't thank you will regreat getting ether one... BIG O

Costactc
03-06-2014, 10:23 AM
Just ordered it, can't wait to test the spectrum analyser and tuner sensitivity.

big o
03-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Sounds good, I been looking at the DR D15 for a awhile ,They seem high priced, every where i have looked can't wait for your reveiw, Did you haft to pay alot for the one you ordered, thanks

Costactc
03-06-2014, 12:32 PM
It was a bit more then the 5302 because of shipping. I finally got the guy to settle for 125.00 British Pounds with shipping.

big o
03-20-2014, 10:32 AM
Costactc, getting about time for the Doctor is'nt it. Looking for your reveiw.

Costactc
03-20-2014, 11:35 AM
I'm actually expecting it today or tomorrow, it was shipped on March 10....can't wait to see the doc.

big o
03-20-2014, 01:43 PM
Sounds good Costactc.

Costactc
03-31-2014, 02:33 PM
Still no Doc in the house. First one seems to be MIA, another one is being sent tomorrow.:crybaby:

eastof111
03-31-2014, 06:42 PM
Sorry to hear that.... the guys in Customs probably decided to check out the graphic display more thoroughly.

big o
03-31-2014, 08:06 PM
Hate to here that costactc,that is so sad, Thats the only thing about buying over seas,so let's hope the other doctor makes it to you. It really hurt when you waiting on the mailman, and ano show,So i hope for the best for you.

Costactc
04-08-2014, 01:07 PM
Got the ring a marole from the seller for 5 frickin weeks. I decided to file a dispute with paypal and the a** finally came up with a tracking number. This receiver will definitely be worth it when it arrives.

ViP3R
04-08-2014, 05:05 PM
Got the ring a marole from the seller for 5 frickin weeks. I decided to file a dispute with paypal and the a** finally came up with a tracking number. This receiver will definitely be worth it when it arrives.

I hope you like it..to bad about the delivery times...sometimes things can happen..

Costactc
04-09-2014, 12:32 PM
I hope you like it..to bad about the delivery times...sometimes things can happen..

Yeah like it not having been sent, the dude was choking my chain. He apologised yesterday by saying that he was out of town and the he had let go the person that was to have sent it....I definitely don't like the delay but can't wait to test it out.

Costactc
04-10-2014, 02:36 PM
Finally the tracking message from Royal Mail:

Your item, posted on 08/04/14 with reference RN004710031GB has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery in CANADA.

easily confused
04-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Hopefully this baby will be worth the wait.

Costactc
04-23-2014, 11:56 AM
The doctor, albeit used, is finally in the house. This came from Russia or was intended for that market as the manual is in English/Russian. It comes with a standard European power cord so I won't need a special UK adapter for this unit. Will give it a whirl and report back.

8270 8271

ViP3R
04-23-2014, 12:14 PM
I'm glad one finally arrived, I hope it's worth the wait..looking forward to seeing some menu's and how you like it..

Costactc
04-23-2014, 01:06 PM
A couple of pics of the spectrum analyser and NHK hd channel on Intelsat 21 at 58w. By the way, its blind scan is extremely fast without having to advance the step count like my Technomate 5302:

8274 8275

eastof111
04-23-2014, 02:00 PM
Will be interesting to see what the spectrum analyzer displays when you hit some of the data, 16, 32 and iptv transponders. Later when time permits, would be great if you posted pixs of the SA displaying a normal transponder vs. the ones mentioned.

Costactc
04-23-2014, 02:34 PM
I'll get around to it East, just getting familiar with my new toy, never had a receiver which displays signal quality in db level- kind of cool.

big o
04-26-2014, 05:51 PM
Costactc, How do you like the new DR. Whats the good, Whats the bad, Was it worth the wait. Any pic. Thanks, Big o.

Costactc
04-27-2014, 05:44 AM
I haven't finished testing the dr hd d15 yet but thus far I would say that this receiver has disappointed me with its tuner being less sensitive the the x2 premium. I am in the process of using a Clarke Tech satellite editor to put the proper orbital degree positions for sats in our part of the world. I will have an overall assessment later.

Costactc
04-27-2014, 11:52 AM
I got the Clarke Tech editor to finally put all satellites from 8-125w. I will be testing it out on ku band with my motorised 4' dish and then I will make an overall assessment.

big o
04-27-2014, 05:25 PM
Thanks costactc,

eastof111
04-27-2014, 06:27 PM
I haven't finished testing the dr hd d15 yet but thus far I would say that this receiver has disappointed me with its tuner being less sensitive the the x2 premium. I am in the process of using a Clarke Tech satellite editor to put the proper orbital degree positions for sats in our part of the world. I will have an overall assessment later.

That's disappointing news. A while back I read on the Euro forums that this receiver was a very good item to have for blind scan and tuner sensitivity. I guess having high powered sats in your back yard helps.

Costactc
04-28-2014, 11:47 AM
That's disappointing news. A while back I read on the Euro forums that this receiver was a very good item to have for blind scan and tuner sensitivity. I guess having high powered sats in your back yard helps.

The dr hd d15 is performing spot on on ku band. I have only tested it out on 5 sats thus far and it's scanning everything in and moving the dish flawlessly.

Costactc
04-30-2014, 03:49 PM

That would be its predecessor East, the F15 is supposed to have the most sensitive tuner that will give you a lock with only 2 db. The D15 requires at least a 4-5 db for a lock. Heavy rain at the moment and scanning Hispasat at 30w- most channels are saying no/bad signal- the technomate has all channels up. It's really cool to have a receiver that shows signal quality in db and that has a spectrum analyser as well. I will keep this unit on ku band until the new x2 is released and probably ship it downstairs on my 8' dish. For a dxer, tuner sensitivity means everything and this box is lacking.

eastof111
04-30-2014, 06:47 PM
"That would be its predecessor East, the F15 is supposed to have the most sensitive tuner that will give you a lock with only 2 db. The D15 requires at least a 4-5 db for a lock"

Yeah, I read that the predecessor was a very good receiver, but one would think a newer model release would be better. Go figure.

Costactc
05-01-2014, 09:21 AM
Unfortunately, the F15 is no longer manufactured and all peeps that have one do not want to let it go. I still plan on doing a more thorough review of the D15 with pics....more to follow.

Costactc
05-01-2014, 12:09 PM
The weather was extreme yesterday and my motor is still crippled and I may have passed judgement a bit too swiftly on the D15. Scanning the Atlantic ku sats spot on once again.

Costactc
05-06-2014, 01:19 PM
The D15 has been growing on me and even its slightly underachieving tuner hasn't discouraged me. It as excellent and extremely fast blind scanning receiver and its ease of use menu has me parking this one on my ku setup. It will lock tp with a 4.0 db level but the channel may be a bit glitchy, 5.0 db and up and your good to go. Most of the strongest known tp in our neck of the woods on ku scan in with a minimum of 14-15 db and there is the rare occasion when it's at the 18-19 level.
Setting up a new sat or tp is childs play but this requires the Clark Tech editor in order to have a North American satellite list, once done just scan away. Transponder and channel info just requires hitting the info button twice. The time and date work flawlessly with the time showing on the front panel display when the receiver is off.
The Menu:
Installation Menu:

Dish Setting- set up your sats here with all info and a convenient sat finder option(spectrum analyser) and also a beep function for signal quality.

Satellite scan- automatic, blind, Pid and manual. There is also a beep function here as well.

Costactc
05-06-2014, 01:47 PM
The second menu is the System Settings Menu:

Time

A/V Output

Osd

Front Display

Security

Database Reset

IP Settings

Users Manual

The last one is quite cool if you happen to lose your manual you can access it from your receiver.

eastof111
05-06-2014, 04:45 PM
Curious, is that spectrum analyzer of any use on the weak and unknown transponders or is it just eye candy?

Costactc
05-07-2014, 12:07 PM
I haven't taken this box outside on an install or even when aligning any of my dishes yet. I have noticed slight improvements when I nudge the dish east or west but the db level is more then sufficient for attaining peak signal quality.

sadass
05-07-2014, 12:50 PM
Costactc just wondering what would be the setting for Cornwall for motorized dish, mine is still out of line, keep going on the foor and still not getting all sats in, i can only get from 72 to 125 due to foof peak,

Costactc
05-07-2014, 12:53 PM
Costactc just wondering what would be the setting for Cornwall for motorized dish, mine is still out of line, keep going on the foor and still not getting all sats in, i can only get from 72 to 125 due to foof peak,

The proper coordinates for Cornwall using Usals are:

74.7 w and 45.0 n.

Set your motor to 0 or go to x depending on the motor type. Our most southern satellite is Amc 6 at 72w and the NBC mux should be scanning in off the charts.

Costactc
05-07-2014, 12:57 PM
The third menu in the dr hd d15 is Channels:

Set Favorites
Edit Channels
Move Channels
Lock Channels
Skip Channels
Delete Channels
Add Channels

Costactc
05-07-2014, 01:02 PM
The 4th menu on this unit is Entertainment:

Youtube
VK
Internet Radio
Picassa
Flickr
Weather
Map
Calculator
Calender
Hardstation 1
Hardstation 2
Iptv

Costactc
05-07-2014, 01:35 PM
The fifth menu is System Information.

The sixth menu is CI + CA

CI Slot # 1
CA Slot # 1

Costactc
05-07-2014, 01:36 PM
The seventh and final menu is External Device:

Disk Manager
File Manager
Ftp
Timer Manager

Costactc
05-07-2014, 01:39 PM
As evidenced by its menu the Dr Hd D15 is a very well equipped receiver and I have grown to like it. My only misgivings would be its tuner sensitivity and not being able to change the orbital degree positions for all satellites. The latter can be remedied with the Clark Tech editor which I posted yesterday. The infamous Dr Hd F15 and its extremely sensitive tuner, as posted across the pond, is a unit I would like to obtain but I have only found one Russian site that sells them and my e-mails have gone unanswered.

rrob311
12-22-2015, 07:39 PM
Do you still have this unit? Have you updated it at all?

Costactc
12-23-2015, 03:08 AM
I sold my D15 to my neighbour, I have been told that the D15 and TM 5402 have the same tuner. The F15 and TM F 3/5 are also supposed to have the same tuner as well. After testing both manufacturers, TM is my preferred brand.

rrob311
12-25-2015, 07:56 PM
The receiver is pretty neat with the spectrum analyzer. I am able to zoom in to a sliver of the band and narrow it down to each transponder. From there I can lower the graph in order to tune everything at once. The signal meter goes from 0-255. Everything on my graph right now on 99w is around 110 or so. I am not clear on what unit is represented in the scale. The bandstacked lnb doesn't work right with this. Similar to the old coolsat and the x2 where it double scans everything. I see in the scanning it will show a 2db signal in the scan but won't lock it. It seems to be able to lock around 5 but sometimes will stay red at 7.5db and not lock.

Costactc
12-26-2015, 06:07 AM
I noticed that locking tp under 5 db was a chore for the Dr Hd units. Technomate will lock with a db signal of around 3 although the tuners are supposed to be identical, I beg to differ.

rrob311
12-26-2015, 08:02 AM
I am running the 144 firmware on it. There is a known bug where you can't change satellites while using the spectrum analyzer. This is no biggie to me as long as the analyzer works. The case size is the same length and width as the Cryptobox.

rrob311
12-26-2015, 04:14 PM
I have been getting an orange signal meter for the signal. Sometimes it is red. Is it supposed to be green usually? I may have to replace a section of coax or a switch. It doesn't like to lock transponders less than 5db or so. I am hoping that with a better signal it will lock with a lower db reading.

rrob311
12-31-2015, 10:26 PM
Ive been testing this receiver's scan against my other blind scanning boxes and while it is a bit slower, it is consistently scanning in more channels than all of the receivers tested so far. I have over a 100' cable run through multiple switches and couplers, etc but this box is definitely a keeper.

Costactc
01-01-2016, 06:24 AM
Ive been testing this receiver's scan against my other blind scanning boxes and while it is a bit slower, it is consistently scanning in more channels than all of the receivers tested so far. I have over a 100' cable run through multiple switches and couplers, etc but this box is definitely a keeper.

C band or ku Rob? I noticed both Dr hd units on ku blind scan would scan in dummy tp with excellent signal but no audio or video.

rrob311
01-01-2016, 08:11 AM
Both, I was mainly testing my fixed ku dish at 103w and my 7.5' SAMI at 58w. It is most effective on 103w ku with all of the news feeds and how the transponders are spaced. Some of the channels that were weaker it had a little better luck showing a picture. I am running the 144 software. It seems to need about 5db in order to lock but I am going to try and run a direct coax to it and retest it.

rrob311
01-01-2016, 08:13 AM
I definitely want an earlier model Technomate if the scan is even more sensitive than this one.

Costactc
01-01-2016, 10:08 AM
The blind scan on the tm 5302 is the most sensitive I have ever tested but its speed is as slow as molasses.

rrob311
01-01-2016, 06:28 PM
So far the only strange transponder that this is picking up for me is on 91W KU and that's because it scanned in a stronger Bev transponder. Probably a bug where it will scan an encrypted transponder on a fta scan.

rrob311
01-05-2016, 01:42 PM
I figured out how to change the oribital position of the satellites in the receiver. You go to dish setting, then toggle to DiSEqC motor. Change that to USALS and press enter. Then scroll to Sat Degree, it will say 0.0E or whatever, there you just type in whatever you want and save it.