PDA

View Full Version : Acebox dvb-s2 receiver

cpr43
04-21-2014, 04:54 AM
Hello
Mountaineer, any update in the generic sumplus??

mountaineer
04-21-2014, 09:08 AM
yes,

i got it last Wednesday..surprise it was that early. Hardware is nice...sturdy built metal about the same size as S10. Rocker switch on back. EU plugin with adapter that is also a surge protector. Blind scans fairly fast and accurately...faster than s10 a little slower than X2.
Comes with asian/eu sat list. Can edit/add channels and sats on screen. has you tube and other nice add ons / but not all work. Plugged my ismart m100 wifi antennae in and it recognized it and I connected to internet.

Bad....
it is an ACEBOX. can't find anything on them. Emailed company asking for link to firmware or channel editor...they got right back to me...but got these messages:

1)Thank you for your purchase. The upgrade firmware has not opened to public. We focus on Europe and Asia satellite channel. We would like to know if the free sat account work in US. If you are interesting in decode. We will offer technical support for you. Hope to hear from you.
If you are satisfied with the items and our service, please don’t forget to give us a
positive feedback. We will greatly appreciate it and look forward to more
cooperation and transactions.
Have a good day.

2) Please find the attachment. It's a one year sharing account.
You my insert a wifi dongle into the USB port of the box or connect a cable. It can access internet to get the sharing code.

It is the same processor as the m100, but it will not take the channel list from m100, and m100 editor will not open file to edit from the ACEBOX.

Firmware is clunky. Shows moving dish for every button push when on usals sat. change the channel, menu, etc Moving dish. Also when in usals sometimes it will not scan H transponders, which makes setting it up difficult. Once set up it seems to work fine. if firmware were from another box or updated, and channel/sat editor was available then it would be a good box. hardware it is fine and more than capable. If anyone can help locate firmware or editor let me know.
here are the database files:

both need the endings changed to .bin . the .rar is not compressed just change to .bin.

mountaineer
04-21-2014, 12:36 PM
Maybe it is an X5 super clone? I will try that firmware on it tonight.

cpr43
04-21-2014, 03:00 PM
Does the menu screen is similar to X5 and m100?? If so its a X5 clone for sure. Just for watch TV my m100 is great. No need to play around with firmware or else. Due to the high temp I keep mine with a small fan, so far so good

mountaineer
04-21-2014, 06:28 PM
Menu is not like m100. Don't have x5. Super firmware won't load either. This thing blind scans pretty fast, if not x2 speed close. 1 pass blind scanning.... transponders and channels at same time. Misses a few. For a sat box just to watch on...good. to blind scan on once everything is set up...great. setting it up....poor. have to delete each transponder one at a time. For 40 delivered good to great. Firmware fixed, computer channel editor, and american sat/tp file it would be a very good box. Due to firmware...m100 is a better receiver.

mountaineer
05-01-2014, 12:04 PM
I think i am making some progress...I believe it is an izibox. The channel editor for izibox works on this box from what i can tell. i got some izibox firmware and will try it tonight. Channel editor was a big thing .....here it is :

change ending from .txt to .exe works on bin files

mountaineer
05-01-2014, 06:35 PM
It does use izibox software. Loaded right in and seems to be much better firmware. Even has ftp update ...updated to latest which was 3-10-2014. More testing to come...but if this works out well...then the box is a steal for 40 bucks. i'll get back to you.

cpr43
05-01-2014, 07:41 PM
Please post software, thanks a lot!! Is there any home page for izi??

mountaineer
05-01-2014, 08:27 PM
It is an izibox hd basic....

hxxp://[Only registered and activated users can see links](Homepage?)

hxxp://[Only registered and activated users can see links] (firmware, but not latest. Download and install nov 2013 then upgrade through lan)

cpr43
05-01-2014, 09:01 PM
What benefits from the ismart factory can you see??

mountaineer
05-01-2014, 09:10 PM
Not sure what you mean. It has youtube, weather, iptv, games etc. i think you can unlock some stuff by entering some codes, but that is on the site I gave I think. i think they call it super settings.
I don't want to mislead people...it is not the greatest receiver of all time...but for 40 bucks I think you can do a lot worse spending a lot more.

mountaineer
05-01-2014, 09:12 PM
Here is another site that has more info...it is spanish or Portuguese and google translate isn't the best but:

hxxp://[Only registered and activated users can see links]

mountaineer
05-02-2014, 10:17 AM
This may also run funbox firmware. Will test tonight.

has dlna etc

here: hxxp://[Only registered and activated users can see links]

mountaineer
05-02-2014, 07:19 PM
Funbox firmware will not load. I ran into a problem with the channel editor. It loads the files, but puts channels on wrong sats. For instance it changes channels from C-g16 to C-G28 and when you load it back in it stays that way. Thank goodness I made a backup before editing. Izibox firmware is pretty good. A lot better than the acebox it comes with. One thing that needs fixing is that it lists the sats when you call them up to change to another one in the order they were scanned not in the order by location. Overall I'm very pleased with the box. i will continue to work with the channel editor and see if I'm doing something wrong.

mountaineer
05-06-2014, 03:40 PM
I found the answer to one problem....there is no sat button and the stop button listed sats all out of order...but the slow button works perfect, it is in essence the "sat" button. Makes it much more convenient. yes the box has youtube, and the adult ones as well.
Also if anyone needs the satlist I made with channels..let me know. I really am starting to think even more highly of this box. let me know when yours comes in rrobb, I can probably save you a ton of time with a few tips.

cpr43
05-07-2014, 05:18 AM
mountaineer
Thanks for all your inputs. I'm losing track on this post. Are you loading izibox or other firmwares on a iSmart m100?? or did you received other brand?? There are some different brands mentioned , Thanks!

mountaineer
05-07-2014, 11:47 AM
No it is not the M100. It is the generic acebox. M100 firmware , channel editor etc will not work on Acebox/izibox..even though they seem to have the same processor. The generic acebox has terrible firmware on it. I tried all kinds of firmware including m100 etc. Only izibox would load and work...it is much better firmware. Really a good little box especially for $40.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

cpr43
05-07-2014, 02:40 PM
OK, thanks a lot for the clarification and for the izibox links!! :th_thumbs20up:

rrob311
05-12-2014, 02:37 PM
USPS delivered the box today. Hopefully I have time to set it up and test it tonight.

cpr43
05-12-2014, 07:02 PM
Sounds great!!! I will be waiting for your review!!:yes2:

mountaineer
05-12-2014, 08:00 PM

here is my sat and channel list. You will have to change some of it I have stacked lnbs. Some frequencies may be off because of that. You can set the Lo to anything you want, some of mine are 13850. just type in what you want as the low and the same or different as the high. great feature.
Also most of my ku are on usals. will have to change that if need be. None of my cband have 1.2 settings.

Let me know how you like it. like I said the izzi software is a must.

change .txt to .bin

NA sat and channel list ... you can always replace it.

rrob311
05-14-2014, 06:16 PM
I played around with the factory firmware and it resets when trying to drive the motor. I switched it to the izibox firmware and the motor control works OK. Updated to the latest firmware and the IPTV function now works with 219 channels in the menu.

mountaineer
05-14-2014, 06:23 PM
Yeah that original firmware is junk. I think it is the worst I've ever seen. izibox firmware is 1000 times better. WHat is your general impression of the box?

mountaineer
05-14-2014, 06:42 PM
The things I like:
1. It blind scans fast ...maybe not x2 fast but faster than 95% of the receivers out there.
2. It plays AAC of all types. i like BYU on G28ku and G19 and it plays the aac fine.
3. Nice channel and sat manger built in.
4. Good network goodies.
5. Moves dish fine.
6. operates switches fine.
7. Records good and doesn't turn off or shutdown.
8. Supposidly has samba feature that you can play and record to network devices. Haven't got that going yet.
9. Seems rugged built.
10. The price. in my mind it is better than many that are double to triple its price.

Negatives.
1. No real PC channel editor.
2. Tries to move dishes etc when going through sat list.
3. No "real" support. Although izi seems to be supporting their box.
4. Goes to full channel list after scanning.
5. have to learn that "slow" button is sat button.
6. Remote is pretty cheap.
7. No ability to scan only one polarity.
8. No pid scan.

All in all for a receiver to just scan or watch with I'm very pleased with it...could do a lot worse. If samba can get working....then it will be a huge difference maker. Are there better receivers....sure...they cost a lot more too. I think I may get a couple of more. Once it gets out that it is a decent box and demand goes up they will raise their prices like X2 did..and I don't blame them. M100 went up as well. Shipping was actually very fast..one week.
I'm interested in what rrob has to say...his opinion holds a lot of weight with me
edit....and his opinion may be totally different.

rrob311
05-14-2014, 07:24 PM
I haven't had much time to test the multimedia functions but as far as the satellite portion of the box it is on par with the openbox x5 or the m100 imo. This is probably due to the processor. Some of the menus bear strong resemblance to the x5 or m100. I don't know if the tuners are the same. From what I can tell so far the motor operation is OK with the izi firmware.

I noticed that the box is pretty heavy for its size. I just had it on for about an hour on a channel with color bars and the top was pretty warm. It is definitely worth what I paid. If the hardware holds up its a bargain but it would be frustrating if you had not done the footwork mountaineer and found the better firmware. I thought the hardware was no good when it kept rebooting but somehow the izi firmware cured it. Acebox customer service replied right away and said they would contact the manufacturer about the resetting. Still waiting on an answer. Overall a nice variant to the openbox x5 or ismart m100. It would be fun to find some other firmwares that work with it.

I still need to test the transponder spacing because the openbox x5 won't save narrowly spaced transponders after a scan. This causes one to lose many channels on a blind scan.

rrob311
05-14-2014, 07:31 PM
Is there a hidden menu somewhere? I can't find Samba. In the Network menu I have youtube, weather, google maps and Daily Motion.

mountaineer
05-14-2014, 07:37 PM
No, no hidden menu. They mention on one of the sites that if you put a folder on your usb labeled samba, that the latest firmwares will use the usb/folder for the extra memory to use samba. The newer + or super or whatever it is has the 8mb extra memory built in. Supposedly you can go to media and movie player...usb showing in menu and press the dev button and your network will appear. Haven't got it to work. very little info on it, there may be a file you have to put in the folder...but I can't find enough info on it. The sites get very little traffic...and useful info is hard to find.

rrob311
05-14-2014, 08:54 PM
I have seen the Samba feature on other receivers but haven't used it. I just noticed this receiver has the same issue as the openbox x5 series where it will scan in transponders that are spaced 6mhz apart and then not save them afterwards. So if you have a channel at 12070H 4232 and 12076H 4232 it will only save one of them. It would be nice if it got fixed.

rrob311
05-15-2014, 08:09 PM
The seller emailed me back about the box shutting off and they state that the machine can only put out 350ma when moving the motor. They suggested that some motors take more to power. They also offered some advice on how to increase power by taking apart the box or running a relay.

The izibox firmware cured the problem so I am not sure if there was a bug of some sort or if it is a safety feature from acebox. Either way I will test the draw with my amp clamp as soon as time permits and report my findings.

mountaineer
07-02-2014, 07:57 AM
There is a new firmware out by izibox 6/27/14 I think. I tried it and there were some serious bugs. I'd let it go. If you choose to install it...make a back up of database (sats/ch) because it erases them. This fw seems to have a slower BS and whn calling up sat list to tune channels it messes up. Disappointed with it but it may just be me. Hopefully next one will not have those bugs. Glad izzi is still supporting the box.

rrob311
07-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Since I am temporarily running my Eagle Aspen B1SAT bandstacked LNBF I decided to try it out on the Acebox. I ran a blind scan using the 5150/5750 setting and it scanned in the transponders properly. No double scanning. This is a big plus because a lot of receivers don't work properly with these.

rrob311
09-14-2014, 09:41 PM
Out of all the 40$ receivers I have tested, this one is the King. It has been very reliable for me. The fact that it works properly with my bandstacked lnb is an added bonus.

mountaineer
09-15-2014, 08:02 AM

It is a good receiver. They pulled them from amazon not long after I/we bought these. I wonder what happened? There is a new firmware out 8/26/14 I think. Seems fine. I still cant get samba to work. If it will....then I'd love the box to death.
can you try samba and see if you can get it to work? You are still running izibox software right?
One other thing...can you FW or PM me the email they sent you about the resistor to replace or bypass or something ....for the reboot issue with usals...happens every once in a whule to me...if easy enough I'll replace it. Thanks !!!!!!

Info about samba at top.

rrob311
09-15-2014, 03:39 PM
I am running the izi firmware still. Haven't found anything else. Here is a copy of the amazon message:

The manufacture said, the receiver's output current for the motor is 350mA. Your
motor may be 500mA or more. It can not provide more current and drop down the
power, cause the receiver reboot.
To resolve the problem,
1. change a stronger power board inside the receiver (DIY).
2. Use a relay to control the motor.

If you need any information to dIY the receiver, please feel free to contact me.

Best regards,

Cindy