PDA

View Full Version : Interesting experience

eastof111
07-30-2014, 10:22 PM
Since I usually use multiboot to try out new images or upgrades, I took it for granted that if anything went south, it would not affect the flash. One thing I noticed after an OpenATV upgrade, it indicated a kernel of 3.13, whereas, it has been 3.38. Last night after upgrading and everything working fine, I decided to reboot to OpenVIX. The receiver would not reboot and it would stop at "experience the difference". But, to be fair, this upgrade was done a day after using the image from Nachtfalke, again, via multiboot. So, I really don't know where that kernel 3.13 came from, gremlins.......

So, I removed the usb stick and tried to boot directly to the OpenSpa flash. Again, it would stop at "experience the difference". In order to get the receiver to boot, I had to re-flash with OpenSpa and reload the backup settings. After that, everything was back to normal.

I reinstalled the old multiboot stick and tried various reboots, images and surprisingly, they all worked fine. Checked the kernel numbers for ATV, Nachtfalke, Vix and they all indicated 3.38.

I had read on another forum where others had the "experience the difference" problem. One had to reflash the v.2 bootloader and then the image to get his working again. Another had to send his back for a replacement.

Glad I got off easy.

el bandido
07-31-2014, 07:36 AM
IMO, you cannot hurt the Duo2 unless a command is sent to destroy the boot. If that happened, you would probably not see any display messages at all.

eastof111
08-23-2014, 04:21 PM
Just did an online update to Apollo 025 via multiboot and got the "experience the difference" freeze. Had to reflash OpenSpa and now everything working fine. I guess Apollo 025 is using kernel 3.13.5 and OpenSPA is 3.38, so that might be the problem. Can't really say, because when I updated to 024, it didn't have that problem and everything worked fine. Gremlins.....

el bandido
08-23-2014, 04:54 PM
Access the files in your receiver using filezilla or similar.
Copy the settings file from etc/enigma2. Open this file with a notepad, xml viewer, or something similar. You will see an incredible amount of data or garbage from using the multiboot. I have seen this in a multiboot settings file and can understand why you have problems or Gremlins.

eastof111
08-23-2014, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I guess I'll spend some time cleaning up the settings file for each image for future reference. I should have done that a long time ago. I guess I'll start with Vix and see how bad it is.

eastof111
08-24-2014, 10:02 PM
Got a response from the OpenSPA team regarding freezes when updating on line with certain images while using multiboot.

Esto no es un error. En el Multiboot, el sistema comparte el kernel y diferentes modulos, archivos y librerias de la OpenSPA con las imagenes que se arrancan en Multiboot. Si desde una imagen instalada en Multiboot haces un update online es posible que se sustituyan algunos de estos archivos haciendo que la imagen en Multiboot deje de funcionar e incluso la OpenSPA. No se aconseja hacer updates online de imagenes en Multiboot, es mejor borrarla e instalar de nuevo la version mas reciente.

Googlized......

This is not an error. In the Multiboot, the system shares the different kernel and modules, archives and libraries of the images OpenSPA they pull in Multiboot. If installed from an image in Multiboot you do an online update is possible that some of these files causing the Multiboot image stop working and even OpenSPA are replaced. It is not advisable to make online updates Multiboot pictures in, you better delete it and reinstall the latest version.

So, I guess certain images do not want to play well if updated online.