PDA

View Full Version : Edision OS Mini Review (North America)

el bandido
07-30-2016, 09:04 PM
The Edision OS Mini is a single tuner fta receiver that uses enigma2 as an operating system. This is a 1080p receiver and is not capable of any resolutions higher than 1080p. Setup and operation of the OS Mini is easy. The receiver has two usb ports (front & back) that are 2.0. USB hubs are also supported. External powered usb hubs suggested. The price of this receiver should be around $150.00 U.S. including shipping.

It took me about 10- 15 minutes to un-box this receiver and have it receiving tv channels. Granted I am familiar with enigma2, but this receiver is simple and easy to set up. One nice thing about enigma2 is you do not have to relearn anything when you get a new or different enigma2 receiver because the basic operations of this system will be the same. Satellite files and other items may be moved between different brands or models of receivers that are running enigma2.

I will make an attempt to cover all the capabilities of this receiver. Feel free to ask any questions about this receiver. The internal DVB-S2 tuner appears to be sensitive and will lock the skinny transponders around 1,000 SR. It will support 1 additional USB tuner.

This receiver does blindscan at a respectable speed for an enigm2 receiver. Here is a video of a 97W ku blindscan.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

eastof111
07-30-2016, 11:36 PM
Nice! I am guessing 10750 lnbs are currently not supported.

el bandido
07-31-2016, 04:52 AM
Correct. Lnbs with a 10750 l.o. are not supported. They would work but the displayed frequency would be off. The blindscan plugin that has 10750 added to it could be made to work or this new blindscan plugin could be modified to accept a 10750 lnb.

el bandido
07-31-2016, 09:57 AM
I chose an Edision receiver for many reasons and will list a few of them.
(1) Image Support (Firmware)
(2) Running a recent kernel of 4.6.3
(3) Blindscan

Edision has a 2 year warranty on this receiver. It is a China built machine but it has decent quality. The overall build of this receiver is very nice.
Edision also has a reputation for fixing problems or issues. We will see...

ViP3R
07-31-2016, 10:05 AM
Thanks, so far EB looks nice and I want one...lol

I'll probably make a section for this receiver rather than having it in other FTA boxes..looks like it deserves it's own section and with the price should be a popular box with new and old E2 users.

rodder
07-31-2016, 10:41 AM
What about the Edision Optimuss OS 2 do you know anything about it looks nice.

This is what i could find

el bandido
07-31-2016, 12:16 PM
Looks nice...OK I do not know anything about that model, but think about these things.
Where is the image support?
What is the kernel version?
Where is the blindscan?
Looks like the .pdf that you give does not have the same information as the resellers on Ebay do. Sorry, but nothing I see about that receiver makes me want to buy it.

rodder
08-01-2016, 04:53 AM
Will the Edision OS Mini do 16APSK

el bandido
08-01-2016, 05:59 AM
I have not found a 16APSK to test. No mention of this feature in the factory specs.
The OS Mini supports the TBS 5925 usb tuner which does 16APSK. Will check the internal tuner when I find a 16APSK signal.

rodder
08-01-2016, 06:51 AM
there was one here 97w 3980H 30000

el bandido
08-01-2016, 05:32 PM
Will the Edision OS Mini do 16APSK
The answer is Yes and No, so let me explain.

A single tuner OS Mini has a Broadcom BCM73XX Tuner in it. This tuner is not capable of 16 APSK, AND This tuner currently will not blindscan the lower symbol rates such as the LPB Feeds channel on 87W at 11804H, 1250SR. There seems to be some blindscan issues with skinny transponders and this particular tuner so the the lower blindscan for symbol rate is locked out below 2000 symbol rate. (The manual or transponder scan is not locked out.)

Look in the link and you will find a Dual DVB-S2 OS Mini.

The Dual DVB-S2 OS Mini shown in the link has the original Broadcom BCM73XX tuner, Plus a Montage FTS-260 tuner. The FTS-260 tuner supports at least 16APSK. It also does not have the low blindscan symbol rate issues like the Broadcom BCM73XX tuner does on blindscan of skinny transponders, so the lower symbol rates are not blocked for the FTS-260 tuner.

Who else has a stock tuner that does 16APSK and uses enigma2 operating system? Edision is the first I know of to offer this, even if it is only one tuner in a dual tuner receiver. I am real tempted at this point to purchase the dual tuner receiver in the above link and test it. Be aware that other OS Mini two tuner receivers are available, except that the second tuner is DVB-T which is useless for us.

el bandido
08-02-2016, 10:06 PM
Here are a couple of blindscan tests of the Vu+ Duo2 and the Edision OS Mini. The Duo2 is finding more channels, but the OS Mini completes the job much faster.

Duo2:

OS Mini:

eastof111
08-02-2016, 11:22 PM
Nice! Quite a speed increase. Though, for the die hard dx'er, a usb or pci tuner is still the way to go hunting.

If all the plugins work without problems, it would seem to be a good entry engima 2 receiver to play and experiment.

el bandido
08-03-2016, 03:36 PM
I would like to check the dual DVB-S2 OS Mini. The tuner that does 16APSK is supposed to be a better blindscan tuner.

I do not see any issues with the plugins. Every plugin I have tried works as expected.

chewie
08-03-2016, 08:29 PM
Hello Guys
Long time no see you, hope all of you are doing just fine, nice receiver EB and the price looks very good, I am waiting for to VU 4K to go down on price it will match my TV.
Do you guys know which satellite has the 16APSK Channels, someone here mentioned the 97 W, I try to scan with the VU and my Miracle Box and didn't find any.
Take care, this site still my favorite.
Regards.
Chewie

el bandido
08-03-2016, 09:28 PM
I think 97 West, 3980H 30000 Is 16APSK. I cannot get that mux because my dish is too small. USB Tuner TBS 5925 is supported now in the Duo2. This add on tuner will give you 16APSK and more.

Solo 4K Is not a good receiver for us. The FBC tuners do not support blindscan right now, and it is unknown if or when they will. Other 4K receivers with better capability will be on the market before Christmas. It will probably be another year before there is much to watch in 4K on satellite so I am not in a hurry to upgrade.

chewie
08-04-2016, 07:54 PM
Thanks EB for the info I am in no hurry, hope these new receivers cost a lot less than the VU+.
Regards.
Chewie

el bandido
08-09-2016, 03:09 PM
I have had the OS Mini for close to a couple of weeks. I noticed that the Terrrestrial USB ATSC tuner was not recognized when I first got it. Now it is fixed as seen in the screenshot below.
Excellent support from SatDreamGr & Edision!

el bandido
08-11-2016, 06:01 PM
A setup video that shows the OS Mini being loaded with an image and set up, including a scan for channels can be found in the link.
[Only registered and activated users can see links]!2AMW1YwZ!-D6lPtgC5M92W6SL_DkzpfaWeSzSP8A6L2Q-pRbryTs

I have upgraded to the dual tuner version of this receiver. Looking forward to testing the internal 16APSK tuner.

Edision OS Mini FullHD 1080p Twin E2 Linux Receiver 2 x DVB-S2 USB WLAN
Estimated delivery: Thu. Aug. 18 - Fri. Sep. 2

Item Id: 252079119282

PAID : $165.81 with PayPal

ViP3R
08-18-2016, 02:54 PM
My OS Mini should arrive tomorrow or Monday..looking forward to expand my E2 knowledge with this..

rodder
08-19-2016, 10:17 AM
I have also ordered one of these Dual Tuner.

ViP3R
08-19-2016, 02:01 PM
It looks we have interest in the Edision OS Mini so I created a section for it rather than other FTA boxes.

So here we are..:D

el bandido
08-28-2016, 09:00 PM
I am now testing the dual DBV-S2 tuner version of the Os Mini. Tuner B in this receiver is 16APSK capable. It also blindscans symbol rates below 2000 which tuner A is not currently capable of.

Here is a blindscan of 125W Ku using the Montage tuner.

rodder
08-29-2016, 03:51 AM
Are you going to stay with OpenAtv are switch to OpenPli Whitch would be the best for this receiver

el bandido
08-29-2016, 04:37 AM
Any image will be fine for the Os Mini. I use the experimental SatDreamGr images. SatDreamGr supports terrestrial ATSC.

ViP3R
08-29-2016, 02:04 PM
I have to say that I am impressed with the Os Mini. I did dabble with the Hypercube, Raptor and GM Triplex and got fed up pretty quick with the constant green screens and crashes with any image.
What a treat it is to have a real made for Enigma 2 box, makes all the difference in the world to have a stable and powerful little box that runs fast with no lag.

The blindscan as noted is not super fast but probably much faster than an azbox or other non e2 boxes..it's probably inline with a raptor, so if your expecting 2 minute scans it won't happen.
I don't do much feed hunting anymore so this is not a problem for me at all.

The remote is nice and sturdy and reminds me of the CNX brand remotes..not cheapo at all.

Eb put me on to the SatDreamGr images and they really support this box, experimental images are stable! I also have a terrestrial ATSC tuner and it works perfect, apparently it was not working at first, but by the time I got mine it was good to go..I also like that they have the online updates that you can download and install hassle free with no loss of settings.

I'm happy with the OS Mini and still have to learn more as always.

rodder
08-30-2016, 05:44 AM
do you still have to use a universal ku lnb with this receiver

el bandido
08-30-2016, 10:46 AM
For blindscan? You may use a 10750 l.o. lnb but use circular setting for it.

el bandido
08-30-2016, 04:01 PM
To clarify, In the Enigma2 Operating System:
Standard LNB = Universal LNB with 9750/10600 L.O.'s
Circular LNB has a 10750 L.O.

In North America:
We think of a Standard LNB as having a 10750 L.O.
We think of a Circular LNB as having a 11250 L.O.

rodder
08-31-2016, 07:23 AM
Play Time just got my Mini!

rodder
08-31-2016, 06:21 PM
Mini all hooked and working great

el bandido
08-31-2016, 06:43 PM
Excellent!
Are you going to try ATSC?

rodder
08-31-2016, 06:53 PM
No just doing c-band and Ku

rodder
09-21-2016, 10:23 AM
I have been using SatDreamGr image on my OS Mini Dual since i got it the time and date has got of real bad cannot find a place to set it anybody know?

el bandido
09-21-2016, 10:33 AM
Did you download the System Time plugin?

rodder
09-21-2016, 10:52 AM
No not yet i will do it now Thanks

rodder
09-21-2016, 11:06 AM
That is what i needed works great

mountaineer
09-26-2016, 08:11 AM
Bump

mountaineer
09-26-2016, 08:14 AM
Got my OS mini over the weekend and hooked up. 2nd tuner does do 16apsk and is the more sensitive of the two. tried several images and went with OPENpli because it was the only one as of now that supported the wintv hvr 850 ATSC. The others recognized it but would not work atsc side only dvb-c side. got it all installed and seems to be working great. Very fast and responsive. Have many recordings scheduled so I will see how it does this week and get back to you. Impressed so far. Thanks for all of the reviews..know I can trust them.
Depending on how that does I may order a couple more.

Did find one issue with original tuner..seems to have fec conflict and had to set almost all of my dvb s2 to 1/2 or it would not see them. Loaded my same channel list with dreambox edit that I have on my azboxes, raptor, and anaconda's. No issue with 2nd tuner and those same ones. it was across all images. Still have some to do with that one. Will keep informed.

el bandido
09-26-2016, 09:20 AM
You may want to wait just a little bit before buying another because the OS Mega 4K should be released, probably within a month.

I have other boxes that have problems like you describe with tuner 1. Sometimes I have had to set the DVB-S2 to DVB-S before the transponder is seen or change the FEC like you did. The second tuner is more of a fta tuner, and seems to work well for us.

OpenPLi has a duplicate transponder check, and this routine is set sort of high for some transponders or satellites. I will see about posting a fix for that.

Now you can check your TBS products. Load SatDreamGr Experimental image, then download the TBS drivers and see what you get! Only One usb tuner is supported, so you cannot use ATSC and TBS at the same time. Both tuners can be set up and used but you will have to turn the box off and physically change tuners.

mountaineer
09-26-2016, 10:51 AM
That sounds great! Any idea on cost of Mega or how many tuners and what they are capable of? the mini is just about right for now...dual with 16apsk capabilities.

el bandido
09-26-2016, 11:26 AM
Dunno yet, but will post as soon as information is available, maybe sometime in October? Edision seems to be developing the type of receiver we are looking for, and Edision also seems to have genuine concern about our issues with their products.

ViP3R
09-26-2016, 11:32 AM
Got my OS mini over the weekend and hooked up. 2nd tuner does do 16apsk and is the more sensitive of the two. tried several images and went with OPENpli because it was the only one as of now that supported the wintv hvr 850 ATSC. The others recognized it but would not work atsc side only dvb-c side. got it all installed and seems to be working great. Very fast and responsive. Have many recordings scheduled so I will see how it does this week and get back to you. Impressed so far. Thanks for all of the reviews..know I can trust them.
Depending on how that does I may order a couple more.

Did find one issue with original tuner..seems to have fec conflict and had to set almost all of my dvb s2 to 1/2 or it would not see them. Loaded my same channel list with dreambox edit that I have on my azboxes, raptor, and anaconda's. No issue with 2nd tuner and those same ones. it was across all images. Still have some to do with that one. Will keep informed.

Just an FYI that the SatdreamGR image does support the Wintv hvr 850 ATSC.

el bandido
09-26-2016, 11:42 AM
True
SatDreamGR was the first image to have ATSC support
SatDreamGR is based on OpenPLi so they will be similar.
SatDreamGR posts experimental images to the public, and are pretty much open to any reasonable comment or suggestion on how to make a better image.

mountaineer
09-26-2016, 11:56 AM
I could not get it to recognize mine as ATSC. The xc5000 package would not load or be found. When I would try to switch it from cable to atsc it would give no options for the tuner, under cable mode it would. Only the opnepli would work. I tried the satdream image which I really liked, the openspa image, it came with openatv but I idid not check how up to date it was and it froze the box when I attached it. Might be the stick. I'm just glad it works, and I like the box. Also it was here from Great Britain in 5 days. Ordered on a monday and was in WV on saturday.

el bandido
09-26-2016, 12:21 PM
OE Alliance, which OpenSpa, and OpenATV are based on does not fully support ATSC. In due time, I think they will add it.

Would like to see a U.S seller carry products like the OS Mini. General Support for this receiver and other items such as custom image building are available. Enigma2 image support is counted in years as compared to a closed source box where the support is counted in a few months. FTA EPG is also possible in enigma2.

mountaineer
09-26-2016, 12:32 PM
Couldn't agree more. My azme, raptor, azminime, and anacondas are still supported. Also as long as they build usb tuners and the coders are willing...these boxes should never really expire. Even if 64 and 128 apsk or dvb s3/x come out.
I also think that the box builders are missing an oppurtunity at money by not allowing for accesories such as removeable/replaceable tuners. If the raptor could have a factory 16apsk tuner dropped in it then it would be up to date as an example. Must not make business sense. the jynxbox tuners could be used I believe...ATSC and DVB S2 with with 16apsk ability.
Just thoughts.

el bandido
09-26-2016, 12:57 PM
The Raptor could have been one of the greatest FTA boxes of all time, but the Closed Source support was not there. The Raptor was lacking in enigma2 because of the processor speed and the SH4 architecture. External usb tuners are not supported in SH4, although Sundtek did manage to make a test custom SH4 image that supported it.

IMO, the Linux Kernel build is very important, and will dictate to a degree what support will be available and for how long. Edision likes to use recent kernel builds which helps extend support. Edision was also the first enigma2 receiver (that I know of) to have an internal 16APSK tuner available.

rodder
09-27-2016, 07:40 AM
Will the KodiDirect.v2.0 work on the Edison

mountaineer
09-27-2016, 07:45 AM
do you know where I can find that test sundtek E2 image and what boxes it was for? Thanks!

el bandido
09-27-2016, 09:59 AM
Should work. Where did you find this? In plugins?

do you know where I can find that test sundtek E2 image and what boxes it was for? Thanks!
You would have to contact Sundtek about that. I did discuss the SH4 receivers and usb tuners when we were testing the Sundtek ATSC. External usb tuners and SH4 receivers are not supported in enigma2 unless you can find someone with the skills to custom build.

rodder
09-27-2016, 10:39 AM
(Should work. Where did you find this? In plugins?)

You put it in Enigma2 Files last year 1/20/2015

el bandido
09-27-2016, 11:27 AM
Look in downloadable plugins in the receiver for a newer version. or try loading that outdated plugin.

rodder
09-27-2016, 01:08 PM
I have there is not one in the receiver i will try this one.

ViP3R
09-27-2016, 01:21 PM

I tried that with my OSmini and it crashed the system every time I tried it..IPTV player does work well though.

el bandido
09-27-2016, 02:20 PM
Try attached version.

ViP3R
09-27-2016, 02:37 PM
Try attached version.

I updated to that version and you still get a crash when trying to install addons,, the ones I tried anyway. Get that nice pretty green screen..

el bandido
09-27-2016, 03:13 PM
A green screen is a crash log. The information in the log may help fix the problem if it is posted. Depending on the image group, crash logs are usually stored in the root of the mounted hard drive or in /tmp.

I will see if I can find a version that works.

el bandido
09-27-2016, 04:07 PM
I got it to work using the file in post#56. The file should be unzipped or extracted to an .ipk extension

Good idea to backup the image before installing anything like this.

Items needed or used = .ipk file, Telnet(Putty), FileZilla

Steps to make it work:
1. Use FileZilla or similar and transfer .ipk file to "/var/volatile/tmp" in the receiver.
2. Start telnet. Login is root (password is not required), then type the following and press enter: opkg update && opkg install /tmp/*.ipk
In telnet, Type reboot.

It is OK to upgrade when Kodi asks.

rodder
09-28-2016, 06:24 AM
I have tried to put that file in "/var/volatile/tmp" 2 times with Filezilla it says it loaded but when i go to receiver it is not there

el bandido
09-28-2016, 07:04 AM
Steps to make it work:
1. Use FileZilla or similar and transfer .ipk file to "/var/volatile/tmp" in the receiver.
2. Start telnet. Login is root (password is not required), then type the following and press enter: opkg update && opkg install /tmp/*.ipk
In telnet, Type reboot.
Putting it in the tmp folder is just the first step. Telnet is used to install the file after it is put in the tmp folder.

rodder
09-28-2016, 07:51 AM
Ok i got it loaded but i am getting the green screen crash also

el bandido
09-28-2016, 10:49 AM
Look in the /tmp folder of the receiver and see if the crash file is there. Zip it up and post it so we can see the problem.

rodder
09-28-2016, 12:01 PM
No crash file there in the tmp folder

el bandido
09-28-2016, 12:24 PM
Also look in:
/media/hdd

An example file name:
enigma2_crash_1474937003.log

No big deal. I can upload an image with this Kodi plugin installed that you can use.

rodder
09-28-2016, 01:03 PM
I have been using it for about a hour no green screens but it just locked up on me i cannot find any of the newer add ons in this one

ViP3R
09-28-2016, 01:11 PM
This is the log from this morning using 3.1 it only crashes on certain addons when you try to install them it seems. usualy it's from the other addons menu.

el bandido
09-28-2016, 01:56 PM
Looks like the Kodi plugin did not like a name? Doubt that is the problem,. but that is my first thought.

<157869.835> File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/KodiDirect/plugin.py", line 3680, in okClicked
<157869.867> name = self.names[sel]
<157869.867> IndexError: list index out of range

We may need to try and find a better version to use.

rodder
09-30-2016, 06:37 AM
Mine is still working ok with the Kodi file no more crashes but i found you have to take your time with it give it time to connect to each screen before going to the next one

mountaineer
09-30-2016, 12:37 PM
OS mini recorded PR NBC and OTA CBS thru WINTVR 850 at the same time tuesday night on timer recordings of an hour or more with no issues. Very pleased so far. Will see if it can record ABC highbit rate feed and CBS oTA at the same time, then see if it can record ABC High Bitrate on Tuner A, Azteca 7 HD on second tuner, and CBS OTA all at the same time....If it can do that then it should be good to go.

el bandido
09-30-2016, 01:48 PM
Anybody have a bluetooth keyboard?
The OS Mini is advertised to be bluetooth capable, but I know speakers are excluded. There is a bluetooth plugin available in most OE Alliance images such as OpenATV and OpenVix. The bluetooth plugin is not available yet in SatDreamGr images.

ViP3R
10-01-2016, 08:35 AM
Anybody have a bluetooth keyboard?
The OS Mini is advertised to be bluetooth capable, but I know speakers are excluded. There is a bluetooth plugin available in most OE Alliance images such as OpenATV and OpenVix. The bluetooth plugin is not available yet in SatDreamGr images.

Sorry no bluetooth keyboard here just wireless and bluetooth speakers. would be nice if they could add speakers.

el bandido
10-26-2016, 11:52 PM
I am very happy with the Montage 6000 tuner. The snr values of the 6000 are about equal to the TBS5925 using EBSPro. The TBS5925 is about 1db less than the Montage 6000 when the TBS5925 is used as an external usb tuner on the OS Mini. The Sundtek Sky ultimate V DVB-S2 usb tuner performs a tad bit better than the TBS5925, but the Sundtek tuner is also behind the Montage 6000 tuner. All of these comparisons were made using the 16APSK mux at 97W. I would think the internal tuner may have a slight advantage due to it being internal, instead of having the extra loss in lines of an external tuner.,

I have been using the OS mini to set my new 3.6 meter dish. e Montage 6000 blindscans decent, but will miss transponders below about 1600SR. The Montage tuner can receive manually entered transponders down to about 1,000SR. Blindscan speeds for satellite scans vary. Most blindscans take 5-10 minutes, but some may take quite a bit longer than that. Enigma2 has always been slow to scan the found transponders. The blindscan for the transponders is pretty quick. The scan for channels is what eats up the time.

Attached are a couple of screenshots taken from the signal finder plugin. I think the signal level is very good, considering a cheap consumer lnbf is being used.

13407 13408

el bandido
10-30-2016, 06:00 PM
OpenPLi and SatDreamGR will be adding channel names to their images. This is a big improvement over channel frequencies. ATSC transponder time is also available and is accurate on the frequencies I have tested.

These screenshots were made using the Hauppauge 850 ATSC USB Tuner.

eastof111
10-30-2016, 08:37 PM
Nice improvement... would be nice if they could figure out an epg too. Any idea if Satdreamgr will be able to update the flash via the internet similar to the Betacentauri updater in BH? I found SDG Vu+ ImageDownloader plugin, but it won't update the flash plus restore settings.

el bandido
10-30-2016, 10:06 PM
I have always been able to update the flash in SatDreamGR via the Internet. Use::Menu--->Setup--->Software Management--->Software update. Always a good idea to backup the image or at least the settings before updating.

eastof111
10-30-2016, 10:57 PM
I guess I missed that one.... will give it a shot tomorrow.

Pale-Rider
10-31-2016, 05:35 PM
What about the Edision Optimuss OS 2 do you know anything about it looks nice.

This is what i could find

It's another O.E.M of the popular Technomate Enigma 2 receiver line sold in the U.K. The Optimus is mostly intended for the German and continental European market. All of the Edison Optimus OS line are O.E.M's.

Pale-Rider
10-31-2016, 05:40 PM
Looks nice...OK I do not know anything about that model, but think about these things.
Where is the image support?
What is the kernel version?
Where is the blindscan?
Looks like the .pdf that you give does not have the same information as the resellers on Ebay do. Sorry, but nothing I see about that receiver makes me want to buy it.

I can't remember exactly which Technomate this is a O.E.M of but it will run the same image. You just need to rename the initial folder. So any E2 image for their Technomate counterpart will work on the Edison OS version. Including ViX who did build but withheld images for the Edison Optimus OS boxes.

el bandido
11-02-2016, 10:31 AM
Improvements to ATSC EPG are being made...

eastof111
11-02-2016, 11:31 AM
Very nice... will try mine later today.

el bandido
11-04-2016, 01:55 PM
Improvements to ATSC epg continue.....

eastof111
11-04-2016, 03:43 PM
Nice.... is this being tested only on the os mini or is it being incorporated in other receivers?

el bandido
11-04-2016, 04:01 PM
Dunno.
Would expect all enigma2 receivers that are capable to have this in time, but this is available to all Os Mini now.

rodder
11-05-2016, 07:04 AM
Hi EB did you ever look for a newer Kodi file i did and all i can find is this 3.1

el bandido
11-05-2016, 08:33 AM
I will look. Have you tried updating Kodi online?

rodder
11-05-2016, 12:07 PM
yes it would not update

el bandido
11-05-2016, 01:27 PM
Latest version I can find. Install and update.

rodder
11-05-2016, 01:48 PM
Thanks

rodder
11-06-2016, 06:58 AM
Loaded this Latest version and got problems i updated after install and now it is hung trying to install Python-Pycurl it says Omd_install_cmd cannot install package Python-Pycurl
i tried going back to the old version and now get the same thing

el bandido
11-06-2016, 08:48 AM
You can install the missing package using putty. i will try the OpenVix later and see if it installs easier with that image.

ViP3R
11-12-2016, 01:17 PM
Improvements to ATSC epg are very nice! I now have a 3 day epg, not that I have many channels here but still very nice.
Some screenshots.

el bandido
11-22-2016, 05:22 PM
A new Software Defined Radio or SDR has been added. I should be testing this feature soon!

eastof111
11-22-2016, 10:48 PM
More and more options being added.... very nice.

el bandido
11-22-2016, 11:27 PM
This is what I bought to test with:
[Only registered and activated users can see links] 0

It will be interesting to see what all can be done with this device and SatDreamGr image!

Titanium
11-29-2016, 02:48 PM
Thank you el bandido for suggesting the purchase of the OS mini DVBS2 dual tuner model! It has been several years since I have tested an Enigma 2 based STB and am very impressed with the development of the releases and the quality of the OS Mini hardware! The amount of set-up flexibility, signal flow and motor control is amazing!

Installed the latest experimental image - Satdreamgr-4.0-gst1-osmini-20161122 and tested the SDR feature. The function is limited to tuning the FM band, but it demonstrates the possibilities for integrating a feature rich SDR program operating as a wide band receiver. Big fan and daily user of SDR# and HDSDR software with NooElec mini 2+ and Ham It Up Upconverter. The possibility of bringing the wideband function to the Enigma 2 image would be very awesome! Certainly would be interesting to allow SDR software to access the satellite tuners!

Any suggestions for increasing the blind scan speed? Scanning and logging most C-band satellites (3.7-4.2GHz) takes a torturous 9 minutes. Since there is no status indicators or listing of transponders, I find myself often wondering if I configured properly! LOL! Anyone know of hardware tuner based scanning development with other images?

el bandido
11-29-2016, 04:24 PM
I think SDR has been available for about 1 week now. I can do some modifications to python, and have successfully added Narrow band fm to my sdr plugin. The narrow band addition allows me to get the weather, police, fire, ham, and business channels in the vhf band. I do not know where the SatDreamGr Team is going with this plugin or how it will look in a few weeks or months but it is interesting to me already. Redsea was added to the plugin which displays a sort of EPG that gives the song name and some other information. Redsea is still installed, but it is not displaying any information for me because of a skin change. Remember, it is about a week old.

Do an online update and the SDR plugin will be updated. I will supply the modifications I am using that allow for FM narrow band receive, but you will need to install some files into the receiver using FileZilla or similar program, and also use telnet if possible. SDR Satellite tuner mods are possible I say, but lets give it a week or two and see what happens. I am still trying to get SSB and AM working.

The blindscan plugin is really an interface for the blindscan binary file found in usr/bin of the e2 image. This blindscan bin file talks with or controls the tuner using the variables from the blindscan plugin. The blindscan bin file is closed source from the manufacturer.
TBS5925 is included in the blindscan plugin, but it generates a lot of duplicates, and has to be set carefully or else it will take forever and make a mess.
The Montage tuner of the OS Mini does a decent job of blindscanning, but the plugin has to be modified a bit or it will miss some transponders spaced close together. This mod would need to be installed using FileZilla.

The OS Mini blindscans the transponders on most satellites for me in about 2 minutes or less. The problem seems to be when the found transponders are searched for channels. Every enigma2 receiver I have had takes forever to search transponders for channels. The transponder scan time has improved a bunch though. It used to take 10 minutes or longer to scan some transponders using older enigma2 receivers. The slow scan of transponders has to be accepted for now.

Another option is to blindscan one receiver, then transfer what is found to other enigma2 receivers.
The OS Mini seems to have a decent LAN, WLAN connection. I connect multiple enigma2 receivers using the lan and can access any receiver by typing the ip of the receiver into a network browser on a lan computer. There is a Partner Box pluigin that allows one enigma2 receiver to control another enigma2 receiver using the lan or Internet. The Partner Box plugin works for every combination of enigma2 receiver I have tested, regardless of the box make/model. It is common for me to blindscan all targeted satellites on one receiver, then send what is found to the rest of the enigma2 receivers. There are many different ways to do this.

I think you are just touching the surface of what the OS Mini and other good enigma2 receivers can do. Some of the image groups such as SatDreamGr, OpenPLi, and OpenVix have been very good about installing things we can use. More items are being added! Most enigma2 receivers will continue to be supported until the kernel gets too old or until the memory gets too low which usually takes several years. A great many things can be changed or modified by anyone with python and linux skills. Information and files are supplied by OpenPLi and OE alliance that allow complete custom image builds to those that know how.

Feel free to ask if you want to do more with the OS Mini or have any questions about it. I think it would be nice to have someone in the U.S. supply the Good enigma2 receivers that are being made. It would also be nice to find some people in the U.S. that are interested in modifying these receivers to get more out of them. A group that understands and can modify the linux kernel, program in C++, and modify Python files can do a tremendous amount with these receivers.

Titanium
12-02-2016, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the wealth of information!

Yes, the transponder logging is quite fast and the 500-750MHz IF range is between 2-3 minutes. Interesting how the missing service names are displayed as hex. Makes for some interesting channel lists on some satellites. Seems like it could be a simple fix as the tables are included for PID display.

I am reading your posts on the dev forums and am looking forward to seeing what you are working of for the SDR and tuner capabilities. I have only basic knowledge of Python or Linux as I typically only work with SOC, so I ask your patience if I am asking something stupid or crazy sounding. :pointlaugh: Am viewing the source and while most is completely over my head, it is very organized and logical. I am going to start playing around with parameters to see if I can learn more and hopefully start contributing solutions instead of suggestions.

A few questions: Instead of building off of a basic SDR add-on, would it be possible to port a mature Linux RTL-SDR package into the Satdreamgr package?

What are your thoughts on software 4:2:2 HP real-time playout on this STB? I have been having mixed success with android media player adds on the S905 DVBS2 hardware and would think that the E2 might provide a better option for real-time playout with 4:2:2 profile detection. If not on this hardware, maybe on the upcoming 4K units?

el bandido
12-02-2016, 03:14 PM
The PID and Service Name display are something I have not really looked into. I normally use what is logged or send the channel(s) to a bouquet and custom name them. Bouquets are not over-written in a scan.

Crazy or stupid questions do not exist while learning, but I sure do ask a lot of them. Athoik Is an excellent source for advice on adding a Linux RTL-SDR package. There is no harm in asking him on the dev forum about it.

A hard drive that is properly initialized is suggested because you can store images and other things on the receiver. IMO, a good idea to install one if you have not already. Make a backup IMAGE, and backup settings. Do this before playing with the files, and you can recover totally in about 5 minutes. Keep the backups current. Backup the image using the backup suite plugin that is already installed in SatDreamGr images. Download and install the DreamExplorer plugin located in Plugins--->Downloadable Plugins--->Extensions. The DreamExplorer plugin allows several editing options using the receiver remote.

Start small. Basic tools are Notepad++, FileZilla, and Putty. There is a plugin that can be installed using opkg that will automatically decompile most of the python files in the receiver
Installing enigma2-src (2.7+git14440+a0dd4f6-r184) on root.
Downloading [Only registered and activated users can see links]
Configuring enigma2-src.

Some files of interest are located in /etc/enigma2.
Settings = Settings for the box
lamedb = channel information file, including the needed transponders for the channels

.xml files for satellite and atsc are in "etc/tuxbox". Any atsc.xml or satellite.xml file that is copied to etc/enigma2 will not be over-written in an image update. Know this if you want to run a custom satellite file because they update the satellite file as needed.

Caution: The settings file located in etc/enigma2 may contain personal information such as facebook or other internet logins. Check the contents of this file for personal info using a text editor or notepad++. Do not share this file if you have used any internet logins unless you remove your personal information from the file first!

The contents of the settings file can be added to an image. Doing this would pre-load the settings into the image. Include the lamedb file and the satellites.xml file with the settings file, and you can pre-load settings plus channels into an image.

There is a web interface available by typing the ip of the box into a browser. Remote box control, and 4:2:2 are possible using the web interface.
There is a 4:2:2 solution using stream relay that I have seen, but not tried. This solution takes the 4:2:2: content, sends it to the computer, then back to the box.
I doubt Broadcom is going to support 4:2:2 outright because they say it is for professionals. I have read that the ARM processor has a possible exploit that makes adding video codecs possible. This may end up being the Real 4:2:2 solution. We will have to wait and see. Until then, web interface, or maybe the stream relay for 4:2:2.

As a side note, You may want to get a Hauppauge WinTv 850 usb device and check out the ATSC capability. Usb tuners are nice because they are portable, but internal tuners are better, providing the tuners are equal.

Modifying a file incorrectly, or loading a skin not designed for the box to become unusable or stuck at booting. Reload the backup if this happens. I do not really know of a way to brick the OS Mini unless you destroy the bootloader somehow. Loading bad python files or deleting system files may make the box lockup, freeze, or boot loop, but reloading a fresh image or a backup image will fix it.

el bandido
12-03-2016, 09:58 PM
Here is a different SDR skin version. Very Nice!

Demo Video: [Only registered and activated users can see links]!X5Uj3TgC!otusigBlmW1RwEAOOwv1Y2F2hzkWogvk8eL0vkB O-gA

Plugin files: [Only registered and activated users can see links]!H1cFyDwb!rCEDpxGHo1b_xFlc1_OuJu91k3u8fODrI-6xTcwxUmE

eastof111
12-03-2016, 10:14 PM
Very nice.

el bandido
12-22-2016, 11:19 AM
I am trying to get Closed Captioning (Subtitles) added to the ATSC channels.

Does anybody use ATSC in MythTV or Kodi? I need to know if this feature exist in one of those.

el bandido
12-24-2016, 12:07 AM
I would also like to update the atsc.xml file. Areas may be added to this file to make scanning easier. As an example, I have already added the Atlanta, Ga. area which allows for quicker atsc scans. A good working list of frequencies and the area they belong in is all of the information that is needed for a city or a certain area to be added to this file.

el bandido
12-25-2016, 09:12 PM
There are many different ways to configure the OS mini. It just depends on what options you want, and what kind of skin you like.

Here is one Example:
ATSC is working in OpenATV. Attached are a couple of EPG screenshots using the Metrix default skin.

el bandido
12-26-2016, 09:07 AM
Freetv has the dual DVB-S2 OS Mini for 120 Euro shipped. This works out to about $125.00 U.S. for the dual tuner OS Mini including shipping. This vendor accepts PayPal. (Note:The single tuner OS Mini does not have 16APSK and does not blindscan as well as the second Montage tuner.)

rrob311
12-26-2016, 09:37 PM
How would you compare the tuner sensitivity to the Raptor? From what little I have used the Raptor I feel the tuner is one of the more solid I have used.

el bandido
12-26-2016, 09:52 PM
I think the Raptor could have been one of the best fta boxes if only it had been supported. We could not gt anything updated or fixed on it.

The second Montage tuner in the OS Mini will be as good as or better than the Raptor.

el bandido
01-03-2017, 08:37 PM
I have got Am aircraft hack working the SDG (SDR) plugin. Would welcome anybody that wants to work on developing the software defined radio plugin.

el bandido
01-04-2017, 11:07 PM
Here is a screenshot of OpenPLi.
20 atsc channels are listed in this page, and what is currently playing on each channel is also listed.

chewie
01-05-2017, 04:13 PM
Hello EB
Regarding the Sundtek atsc tuner, did something change in enigma2, my VU+ does not recognize the tuner, I try with ATV, VIX, SATDREAM.
and nothing, I had it working at one time recently after rebooting the box, but it does not work any more, maybe it die.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Chewie

el bandido
01-05-2017, 06:33 PM
Start telnet and enter this command: cat /proc/bus/nim_sockets

If the device is not listed in the telnet output, try another usb port for the device, hard boot the receiver, and retest using the same telnet command.

If the device is listed in the output after entering the telnet command, carefully check the settings for the device in the Sundtek plugin.

chewie
01-06-2017, 09:56 PM
Thanks EB, I try the telnet and the receiver is not seen the Sandtek and is not the USB connectors, the plastic package came of the tuner, I think when I put the the plastic back and grab the PCB with my hands I zap it.
O well.
Regards.
Chewie

el bandido
01-06-2017, 10:02 PM
Contact Sundtek for a possible warranty or get a Hauppauge WinTv 850 from Ebay for a few dollars. The WinTv 850 gives epg as seen in this thread.

mountaineer
12-30-2017, 01:49 PM
is this receiver capable of getting a SR of 52096?
There is an ESPN feed at G28 Cband 3740 V 52096...this receiver does not get a sniff...is it capable? I havent updated E2 in a while, but it is working like clock work and dont want to mess with it if it isnt capable.

thanks!!!!

el bandido
12-30-2017, 02:14 PM
No.
45,000 Is the limit.

mountaineer
12-30-2017, 02:25 PM
thanks!!!

Know of anything that can get 52096 sr at 16apsk?

el bandido
12-31-2017, 12:38 AM
I cannot get channels from that transponder on anything that I have. Good Luck With that one!!

mountaineer
12-31-2017, 07:17 AM
Thank you for trying!!!