PDA

View Full Version : Octagon SF-4008(4K) Bugs, Issues, and Problems

Pages : [1] 2

el bandido
03-30-2017, 08:14 PM
The Octagon SF-4008 is a dual DVB-S2(x) receiver that was released a few months ago. The chipset for tis receiver is on a different platform or architecture as compared to most other fta receivers. Most of the plugins and other addons are being rewritten to take advantage or to work with this chipset design.

Here are a few problems or issues that I have noticed during my first few hours of using this receiver:
No Blindscan
Incomplete ATSC support (Hauppauge 850)
Receiver hangs when loading images
Some images do not support ACM/VCM transponders
The receiver has the feel of being "Under Construction" or "Incomplete" (What do we expect? It is new.)

The Good stuff:
Will play ACM/VCM transponder at 125 West
Will play UHD and 4K channels (No stutters or other issues s far)
Fast Boot time (about 30 seconds)
Fast Chanel Changes
Great picture (can only test up to 1080 resolution on my tv)
Easy to share lamedb files from other receivers
Has a ton of potential or possibilities

This thread was started with the intention of helping the ones that already have this receiver and to inform those who may want to purchase this receiver. I expect most of the problems I listed to be fixed over a period of time, and I expect this receiver to have blindscan at some point in the future.

The main thing that bothers me right now is the loading of different images. Open Eight is supposed to be an image designed strictly or only for Octagon, but all this image has done so far is lock the receiver up when I try to load it. A recovery file is available that corrects this, but to me, this problem or issue needs to be fixed asap.

I will add more comments to this thread as I get more familiar with this new receiver. Other questions or comments are welcomed. EB

Edit(s):
16 ASPK transponder reception confirmed 4-2-17

eastof111
03-31-2017, 12:10 AM
"Incomplete ATSC support (Hauppauge 850)"
I'll have to wait till this is resolved.

Does the IPTV Player plugin work (1+git1613)?

I am guessing openmultiboot will be a while too.

DaveLH
03-31-2017, 04:14 AM
Receiver hangs when loading images, So far i have loaded openATV, openVix, Egami ver 8 with no problems (touch wood, head according to wife) also I was not aware of this. Some can't remember which, loaded up but could not change the video settings to NA standard. The display would indicate HDMI but couldn't set the frequency to 60 by using the OK button or the green button, just stalled there with the TV displaying wrong video settings. Now found the recovery files and instructions, saved for safe keeping.

el bandido
03-31-2017, 05:32 AM
Remember, not many can test atsc, and probably no one knows it does not work except us. Should be an easy fix. We will see....

IPTV Player plugin (1+git1619) does work.

Image recovery is no big deal. All you do is put the recovery files in the image folder and reload. Other receivers have had problems similar to this and were fixed.

chewie
03-31-2017, 08:31 AM
Can you guys post the recovery files and instructions, or a link where to download them.
I would appreciate it.
Regards.
Chewie

chewie
03-31-2017, 08:43 AM
Receiver hangs when loading images, So far i have loaded openATV, openVix, Egami ver 8 with no problems (touch wood, head according to wife) also I was not aware of this. Some can't remember which, loaded up but could not change the video settings to NA standard. The display would indicate HDMI but couldn't set the frequency to 60 by using the OK button or the green button, just stalled there with the TV displaying wrong video settings. Now found the recovery files and instructions, saved for safe keeping.

Hello Dave
Which Image do you like the best?

el bandido
03-31-2017, 10:05 AM
Can you guys post the recovery files and instructions, or a link where to download them.
I would appreciate it.
Regards.
Chewie

Recovery files attached.
Instructions are the same as they were in post #4. All you do is put the recovery files in the image folder and reload.

DaveLH
03-31-2017, 10:45 AM
Each image seems to have things that stand out, depends on what is important to you. OpenATV is a great image, my favorite. OpenVIX has all the channel info and more on the main screen,I like that wish openATV would do the same. All cannel, transponder and box info can be found in the menus if you go looking. Just loaded egami ver 8 and was sort of set back, awesome. seems to be an all right image for the Octagon box havent had any real time to check it out but what I see so far I like. It depends on what bare essentials one is happy with and of course the plugins can be downloaded to suit one's interest. EB said that a lot of plugins and drivers are in the process of being rewritten for this box so we must wait for a while. I now have a 4K tv coming on Monday, man am I spoiled and am loving it.

chewie
03-31-2017, 12:11 PM
Recovery files attached.
Instructions are the same as they were in post #4. All you do is put the recovery files in the image folder and reload.

Thanks
EB.

chewie
03-31-2017, 12:15 PM
Each image seems to have things that stand out, depends on what is important to you. OpenATV is a great image, my favorite. OpenVIX has all the channel info and more on the main screen,I like that wish openATV would do the same. All cannel, transponder and box info can be found in the menus if you go looking. Just loaded egami ver 8 and was sort of set back, awesome. seems to be an all right image for the Octagon box havent had any real time to check it out but what I see so far I like. It depends on what bare essentials one is happy with and of course the plugins can be downloaded to suit one's interest. EB said that a lot of plugins and drivers are in the process of being rewritten for this box so we must wait for a while. I now have a 4K tv coming on Monday, man am I spoiled and am loving it.

Hello Dave
Thanks for the information, I do have the Egami Image on one of my enigma receivers and is very good, I also have the ATV and the VIX on the same receiver and the Egami works the best.
Regards.
Chewie

chewie
03-31-2017, 12:19 PM
EB
About the 16 and 32 APSK feeds have you find any with this receiver.
Let us know.
Regards.
Chewie

el bandido
03-31-2017, 12:19 PM
OpenATV can be skinned so it displays the same as OpenVix. For that matter, you can take almost any image and make it very simple to operate, or very complex with lots of sub-menus.

OpenPLi and SatDreamGr are not full images. These images are produced light, and the operator adds the features that are wanted. PLi and SatDreamGr will usually run faster and are generally less complex when compared to a full image.

OpenVix, OpenATV, and many others could be considered full images. Almost all available features are installed in the image, and it is up to the operator to delete or remove what is not wanted.

Enigma2 images can be made very simple. The menu structure can be altered to resemble a simple receiver like OpenBox or Manhattan, or other outdated Ali Box. I do not plan to go that far with it, but I will demonstrate how to make the menus and maybe make some other things simplified and easier to navigate.

el bandido
03-31-2017, 07:44 PM
16/32 apsk for dvb-s2 is unknown. The only apsk transponders I can find right now are data transponders. The OS Mini will show a signal in db, but the Octagon only shows a lock, but no signal in db. So it is Impossible to know for sure until some apsk transponders with channels appear. Maybe this weekend?

el bandido
04-01-2017, 02:01 PM
Athoik has been kind enough to help with atsc. (See quote)

new drivers required with vtuner ATSC support.

Will report issue to manufacturer.

I appreciate the help of Athoik & SatDreamGr!

eastof111
04-01-2017, 02:55 PM
Nice... I hope they are better listeners than Vu+.

"I appreciate the help of Athoik & SatDreamGr! "

Same here :bigthumbup:

el bandido
04-02-2017, 08:55 AM
I added time stamps to show when scans start and stop.

It took about 2 hours 10 minutes for the Octagon to scan the radio and other transponders at 105West. My Optibox Raptor took about the same amount of time to scan these channels when they were only at 139 West several years ago. The OS Mini has scanned these transponders before they moved to 105 West in 10-15 minutes. Bottom line is: enigma2 is the only operating system capable of scanning all of these radio channels. Ali box sellers claim theirs will scan all of these channels IF you make multiple scans.

Can find nothing on 16-32 apsk. I have installed an option that only searches for 16-32 apsk transponders. This search normally takes 2-3 minutes per satellite with the OS Mini. No other fta receiver that I know of can search like this. We should be able to use this feature on the Octagon if/when blindscan capability is added.

el bandido
04-02-2017, 12:42 PM
APSK Is confirmed in the new Octagon SF-4008!

Used the OS Mini and the APSK blindscan feature to find this 16APSK transponder on 99West. This transponder and its channels work in the Octagon so 16APSK is confirmed.

el bandido
04-02-2017, 09:09 PM

The screenshot shows the amount of time it took the Octagon to scan the free channels at 116.8W C band. I have used the OS Mini to blindscan for transponders and have put what it finds into a satellites.xml file. This will have to do until blindscan is available for the Octagon. I can also transfer the lamedb file from the Mini into the Octagon, and all the channels that play on the Mini also work in the Octagon. Several other enigma2 receivers that I have will not accept transponder and channel information without issues. The Octagon can Auto Detect some of the transponder information.

el bandido
04-05-2017, 01:39 PM
Update from Esmos about the plans for this box:

soon will realese Kodi at first, and then vbs blindscan. Blindscan is not difficult but extensive (large) developing like multistream, special tp scan and more . but will realese after kodi .
dvbc blindscan realesed from begin, because dvbc is not difficult for developing comparing with dvbs blindscan

eastof111
04-05-2017, 02:22 PM
Looks like we might have blind scan by summer.... very nice!

el bandido
04-05-2017, 06:09 PM
What he says makes sense. Motor controls and blindscan have always been last in development. Kodi will appeal to more than blindscan, and that is why it is being done first.

chewie
04-06-2017, 08:03 AM
Well, I which mine arrives soon, last time I saw some activity on the shipment was on 3/30" " item is on its way to the destination country"
I am hoping it does not get lost like the last receiver I purchase from Satshop FI.
I hate the waiting.
Chewie

el bandido
04-06-2017, 08:08 AM
Try tracking using USPS tracking.
Copy and paste the tracking number in a Google browser, and press enter. Then select USPS from the list of options.

chewie
04-06-2017, 03:01 PM
Thanks EB
I been checking USPS tracking and is showing the same message since last Thursday, Processed through facility.
I should have something different by now like going through customs. Well they can always send me another shipment like last time.
Regards
Chewie

DaveLH
04-07-2017, 02:08 AM
That were I purchased mine, once in stock took maybe 5 days or so. Unless the iceberg the shipment was on melted crossing the Atlantic. Hope you get it soon, its quite a box.

vhfuhf
04-07-2017, 05:03 AM
Looks like we have a great receiver .... Has anyone tested this receiver on 4:2:2 mpeg 4 ND mpeg 2? Like CBS on g28 or T5?

When you buy this receiver it comes dual input tuners dvb-s2x?

el bandido
04-07-2017, 07:22 AM
No Native 4:2:2.
Highly unlikely that Broadcom will release a 4:2:2 chipset (see link).
[Only registered and activated users can see links](1-Participant)

Most sellers are shipping the Octagon with one double DVB-S2x tuner. This gives you two DVB-S2x tuners in the first tuner slot. There is a second tuner slot in the receiver, but it can only support one DVB-S2 tuner. Currently, the only DVB-S tuner that is available is the double tuner. Octagon may add more DVB tuner types in the future, but the only S2 tuner is a double.I did not buy the third DVB-S2 tuner because I did not want to pay for a double tuner when only one tuner can be used.

Information about tuners and tuner types should be available at check-out. Pay close attention to what you are buying because DVB-T and DVBC tuners are available! Satshop.fi has the option to buy the receiver without any tuners.

el bandido
04-07-2017, 10:03 AM
I have been told at least 1 U.S. seller will stock these receivers within 3 weeks time.

el bandido
04-08-2017, 10:42 AM
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

rrob311
04-11-2017, 08:17 PM
Can anyone verify that the receiver will play the 4k channels in actual 4k? Maybe toggle it from 4k to 1080 and see what kind of difference there is?

[Only registered and activated users can see links](1-Participant)

I have a 4ktv but have only viewed these channels with my 4k android receiver that does not show 4k output as an option. It plays the channels OK but the output does not say 4k.

el bandido
04-11-2017, 08:44 PM
Seems like you have asked this before, and in a way, I am not sure what you are really asking because you do not show what resolution your receiver outputs for these channels.

The Octagon SF-4008 is not on the same level as a cheap ($100.00 or less) Android 4K box.

Here is a screenshot of the Masters 4K feed. Maybe it will answer your question?

Octagon is not going to produce a 4K receiver that is not capable of 4k output! It would be suicide for them to do something such as that.
Let me know if this does not answer your question and I will try something else.

eastof111
04-11-2017, 09:37 PM
8.5 db on 97w? Seems rather low for the size dish you have. I know owners on the other sites were reacting to low or high db readings for over a month. So, I am guessing this is still on Octagons to do list. Will be interesting to see later what the actual db display for 4k should be.

el bandido
04-11-2017, 09:56 PM
IMO, the db in snr seems to be ok and is comparable to the oS Mini. That particular feed was not very strong for me. Also, at some point, I probably need to invest in a commercial lnb arrangement. I feel certain that i will pick p some things a bit better if I upgrade from a cheap lnbf to a commercial lnb.

A lot has been said about pll lnbs in fta forums, but I have seen no advatage using a consumer pll lnb. The pll oscillator generates more noise than a dro oscillator, so the pll oscillator requires extra filtering. More filters may bring a better signal to noise ratio or snr in db. Either a good commercial dro or a good commercial pll lnb may help my antenna system a bit. Any lnbf is only for the consumer.

rrob311
04-12-2017, 06:13 AM
Yes, your post clearly shows the resolution, thanks. I am pretty sure when I asked before you did not possess this receiver. At this point I am curious as to what people think of the resolution difference between 1080p and actual 4k with this receiver.

el bandido
04-12-2017, 06:29 AM
I do not have a 4K television or monitor yet, but no one has complained about the 4k quality on any European forum that I have seen. Why not purchase one and see for yourself? These receivers do not cost a lot of money.

el bandido
04-15-2017, 06:19 PM
Here is some useful information about IPTV.

IPTV recording works on several streams. Not on all. But you need to be able to make 2 connections to the server if you also want to watch the channel at the same time. Some servers prevent this. This is no box issue. But a general E2 thing. Also that timeshift is not working for iptv. It's the same for all boxes.

el bandido
04-16-2017, 11:22 AM
The time frame for Kodi to be released seems to be "Sometime before the end of April". I doubt anything else gets fixed until Kodi is finished.

Most of the usb tuners that I have tried to use with the Octagon either do not work, or only partially work.

Blindscan for DVB-S/S2 is not supposed to be released until after Kodi is finished.

I have more or less put this receiver on the shelf. It is pretty much useless for me the way it is now except to watch some 4K or UHD on rare or special occasions.

Personally, I think they should have fixed some of the other issues first instead of getting bogged down with Kodi. Then again,Kodi is not much use to me.

eastof111
04-16-2017, 01:48 PM
I guess the SF4018 will most likely not be released until most items are corrected and working properly on the SF4008. Wouldn't make sense to release an upgraded receiver when the lesser one is still not perfected. But, stranger things have happened.

el bandido
04-16-2017, 02:21 PM
I think these guys ran into some problems they were not expecting to have. I do not regret buying the box, and more or less expect things not to work correctly or at all in a newly released receiver. I did expect them to have more done in this amount of time though. At any rate, the finished product will speak for itself - Whatever the finished product is...

chewie
04-17-2017, 08:53 AM
Well, Let's have some patience, maybe be we will have blind Scan in a few months, I still waiting for my box, it got lost, hopefully Satshop.Fi can send me a new box or return my money.
Regards.
Chewie

AndyX
04-17-2017, 09:44 AM
Hi rrob 311
I have the Octagon and it is connected to my 4K TV and can confirm that it outputs in 4K up to 60fps. The picture is excellent with no stuttering.

el bandido
04-23-2017, 12:36 PM
People from Octagon still think Kodi will be ready by the end of April and DVB-S2 blindscan will happen sometime in May.

No word yet about ATSC being added to vtuner. Hopefully Octagon will get around to adding it.

I spent some time looking at how or what it would take to add ATSC 3.0 to enigma2. It does not seem that it would be very hard because ATSC is already in the image and the 3.0 uses the same bandwidth. I could not find any 3.0 ATSC tuner, so I contacted Hauppauge about it. Here is the reply.

Currently there isn't enough content for 4k and 3D so it is not on our roadmap yet.

Regards,

Dorothy Plotkin
Hauppauge Sales Team
Phone: 631-434-1600 x302
Fax 631-434-3198

In my ATSC 3.0 tuner searches, I found several conversations or chats about ATSC 3.0. Some seem to think that this format is right around the corner, and some suggest Not buying a fta receiver that has the current ATSC tuner because it will soon be obsolete. Seems to me though that this is putting the cart before the horse because no ATSC 3.0 tuners are available yet. It looks like any fta receiver that is purchased today will be an electronic antique when ATSC 3.0 is ready and widely available.

el bandido
04-24-2017, 09:47 PM
MCelliotG Has made an excellent skin for the Octagon SF4008. This skin will work with other receivers, but it works extremely well on the Octagon. A short demo video is in the link, and a couple of screenshots are attached.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]!LkkmCIKK!oHr2EalgBmU8saqs6nKDbNoH4ezXkQk0u4_8Wj0 hkxo

eastof111
04-24-2017, 10:17 PM
Very nice!

el bandido
04-25-2017, 07:42 AM
Special Thanks to Athoik for making this possible!

Treiber (Driver) update Octagon SF4008 - 25.04.17:

Testen per FTP: Datei linuxtv.ko nach lib/modules/4.1.37/extra kopieren und Box neustarten.

6.x Images

================================================== =================
[Release Note]

1. ATSC USB Tuner support
2. remotestreamconvert plugin
multiple recording, timeshift playback support
3. vtuner(USB Tuner)
single recording support
4. media player plugin
Fixes driver crach during Non-TS Format file play.
5. Fixes slow playback in media player
6. fixes NO STC issue

eastof111
04-25-2017, 02:01 PM
Great, did you try it?

el bandido
04-25-2017, 02:25 PM
Yes.
OTA ATSC works in the Octagon SF4008!

sideswiper
04-29-2017, 03:16 PM
Just got & started to play with this STB seems like it will be a nice addition

el bandido
04-29-2017, 03:57 PM
I think it will be a great receiver for the money once everything is fixed. Kodi is supposed to be finished in a couple more days. Please post any issues or problems you have with the box. Comments or observations are also welcomed Thanks. EB

sideswiper
04-30-2017, 05:58 AM
What image did you use to get the Octagon to play ACM/VCM Music Channels at 125 W ?

Thanks

el bandido
04-30-2017, 07:45 AM
I use SatDreamGr, but I think any image should work for that transponder.

el bandido
05-02-2017, 10:12 PM
Here is a video that shows a new skin by MCelliotG, This work is very much appreciated!

Some other things that have been asked about are also included.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]!ugUSXLpa!M02HV7wMMKNUAJbPZgb4lNNDIoON6U5DBRC3h7n aBTE

chewie
05-03-2017, 08:53 AM
Very nice EB, I finally going to get my box this week after a month and half, I hope there is no damage, it sounds like this box went all over the world, lol.
Hope blind scan is just around the corner.
Regards.
Chewie

el bandido
05-03-2017, 09:13 AM
Kodi was supposed to be done by the end of April. So they are behind the schedule they set, which is typical for a fta receive. But they need to get moving or other boxes will pass them. Zgemma is releasing a 4K box, and the demo video shows it running Kodi. I find it hard to understand what is taking Octagon so long to release Kodi since Zgemma did it so quickly? Unless the Zgemma video is eye candy only, but the video shows it working..

chewie
05-04-2017, 09:13 PM
Hello Guys
Finally got my receiver, it came with the open ATV firm, tine 4K channels on 103w and 101W look awesome, picture quality looks good, the tuner is fast, it picked the heroes and Decades on one shot, my Vu+ it picks one of the other but not both same as the Ultra Miracle box .
It did not come with the User Manual, there is only one turner in the back of the box, I am not sure if this is correct, this is what I order:

Octagon SF4008, UHD PVR, 2-3 tuners
Receiver
1 x Octagon SF4008 UHD PVR,
Installed tuner 1-2
1 x Octagon Tuner Dual 2 x DVB-S2X (satellite) for Octagon SF4008.
Regarding the skin by MCelliotG, I can find it under the plugins/skins.

chewie

el bandido
05-04-2017, 09:21 PM
Excellent! I hope you continue to enjoy it.

Installed tuner 1-2

What you have is correct. One double tuner (or two DVB-S2). You ordered nothing more or nothing less.

That is a test skin. Will probably be best to send you an image with it already installed. Give me a bit of time and I will put something together.

el bandido
05-06-2017, 09:22 AM
Today is a good day if anyone wants to test the 16APSK.
My OS Mini found this transponder, but would not scan the channels for some reason.
The Octagon shows signal on both tuners, but will only scan the channels for me on tuner B.
Have not a clue as to why this is happening.

chewie
05-06-2017, 09:46 AM
I read about about scanning on tuner B and not the A on the ATV forum somebody claim they were working on it but that was a while back, I will see if I can find that sat in my side of the woods.
I install a HDD on my octagon and it records and plays back very good, any channels including UHD, one thing I noticed is the volume control is not to sensitive some times I move it either way and it does not make much difference on the loudness, I don,t know if is the image or my set-up.
Regards.
Chewie

sideswiper
05-06-2017, 10:04 AM
Today is a good day if anyone wants to test the 16APSK.
My OS Mini found this transponder, but would not scan the channels for some reason.
The Octagon shows signal on both tuners, but will only scan the channels for me on tuner B.
Have not a clue as to why this is happening.

That is for the IMSA WeatherTech Sports Car Race Circuit of Americas in Austin, TX

chewie
05-06-2017, 06:01 PM
Hello Guys
Do you know if open multi boot works with this receiver I loooked around and did not find this info.
Please let me know.
Regards.
Chewie

el bandido
05-06-2017, 07:10 PM
I do not think any type of multiboot is supported right now.

el bandido
05-06-2017, 10:28 PM
Here is a link to my backup image.
Hidden channel on 127 and radio channels for 103Ku are included.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]!n19hiKwA!aidfqCC6pAFBbgYMOIAQdf5bmWB8UXShY6hQ2Rf 2OuQ

DaveLH
05-07-2017, 03:18 AM
Had to try your backup image EB, awesome.

sideswiper
05-07-2017, 08:33 AM
Will Try your Backup image Thanks

chewie
05-07-2017, 04:23 PM
Thanks for your back up image, by the way open multiboot works on this receiver, a have a few images going already.
Regards.
Chewie

eastof111
05-07-2017, 05:53 PM
Glad to hear open multiboot works.

chewie
05-07-2017, 08:59 PM
Open multiboot

eastof111
05-07-2017, 09:20 PM
Very nice!
Are you using a usb thumb drive or the hard drive? Have you noticed any speed increase while multibooting?

chewie
05-07-2017, 09:48 PM
Hello East
I am using a usb thumb drive for multiboot USB 3.0 compatible, Yes is faster than the VU+ and the Miraclebox, this receiver is fast, I also noticed that is faster installing the new images.
Regards.
Chewie

eastof111
05-08-2017, 01:21 AM
Thanks, glad the usb 3.0 port is working with multiboot. Sounds like a big improvement over the Vu+ speed wise.

DaveLH
05-08-2017, 03:30 AM
Hello East
I am using a usb thumb drive for multiboot USB 3.0 compatible, Yes is faster than the VU+ and the Miraclebox, this receiver is fast, I also noticed that is faster installing the new images.
Regards.
Chewie

Chewie, how did you set up multiboot on the Octagon, totally lost on this. Thanks

AndyX
05-08-2017, 05:25 AM
Looks good. Where do you get it from?

DaveLH
05-08-2017, 07:54 AM
Found it thanks. It's right there but I walk past it.

chewie
05-08-2017, 01:22 PM
Thanks, glad the usb 3.0 port is working with multiboot. Sounds like a big improvement over the Vu+ speed wise.

The USB memory Stick is connected to the 2.0 port in the front of the receiver, I forgot it also has 1- 3.0 port in the back, when I get home I will switch it to the 3.0 port and see if it makes a difference.
I will let you know.
Regards.
Chewie

chewie
05-09-2017, 08:16 AM
Hello Guys
Well, I installed the USB stick on the 3.0 port in the back of the receiver, it did recognize the stick and the muliboot images, but when switching to another image sometimes it works and most of the time it does not, when it doesn't work it goes back to the Flash image and if you fireup multiboot it can not find the USB stick, I initialized the USB erased all the images and re-install only one and still doesn't work, same problem.
I moved the USB stick to the USB port 2.0 in front of the receiver and it looks like is working properly.
I am not sure if the problem is the USB stick or the receiver.
One waty to find out is getting a new 3.0 USB stick, if anybody can recommend a good reliable 3.0 USB, let me know.
Regards.
Chewie

el bandido
05-09-2017, 09:18 AM
The reason I have not tried the 3.0 port is because I do not have a 3.0 usb device. Was hoping that port would be backwards compatible, and 2.0 devices would work correctly on it..

eastof111
05-09-2017, 02:26 PM
Hello Guys
One waty to find out is getting a new 3.0 USB stick, if anybody can recommend a good reliable 3.0 USB, let me know.
Regards.
Chewie

Since we don't know what 3.0 capacity thumb drive the usb 3.0 port will handle, the only way is to experiment. It's hard to find a usb 3.0 stick under 16gb in size. In the past, the smaller size stick was usually the best route to take for bootup sticks. Ebay has Kingston, Sandisk and Adata 3.0 sticks at 16gb and inexpensive in price. These brands with their 2.0 models were usually very reliable when used with usb 2.0 ports; I am guessing that they should be just as good with 3.0 ports.

Just be aware that there is an increasingly new stock of 3.1/3.0 combo sticks available which might not be compatible with the SF4008 usb 3.0. But, hopefully I could be wrong on that assumption.

chewie
05-11-2017, 11:55 AM
Hello Guys
Well I had another USB stick 3.0 different brand, I connected it to the 3.0 port on the receiver and loaded some images and so far is working fine, none of the same issues I was having with the other USB stick, I will keep on testing and see how it behaves.
Regards.
Chewie

sideswiper
05-11-2017, 12:48 PM
What Brand Name is the 3.0 stick that is working fine for you ?

chewie
05-11-2017, 02:42 PM
The USB STICK is ADATA AUV128-32GB-RBE.
Regards.
Chewie

el bandido
05-12-2017, 11:16 AM
New driver released today. This driver should be in online updates in a day or two, depending on the image group.

chewie
05-12-2017, 01:20 PM
Here is some info on the new driver:

-. REC VFD ICON issue fixed (SF4008-I-52)
-> REC symbol in the display in standby fixed.
-. Lip Sync Issue fixed.
-. FastScan issue fixed.

Never used this fastScan is it something similar to blind Scan?
Regards.
Chewie

sideswiper
05-14-2017, 06:24 AM
There was a 4K Nascar Feed that was FTA last night on Galaxy 16 99W 3960 H 30000 DTV FS1, it was great to see a Race in UHD

el bandido
05-15-2017, 05:06 PM
New driver today. here are the notes for it.

[Release Note]

1. Issue [SF4008-i-75] mute symbol in standby is fixed
2. Issue [SF4008-i-56] viasat ci modul is fixed
INFO: 4 x VTuner (USB) possible (4 x Virtueller USB Tuner möglich)

el bandido
05-17-2017, 08:17 AM
Progress!

Todays' Driver:

1. the number of supported vtuner : 4 -> 8
--> Info: Total 11 Tuners Support at same time!
2. [SF4008-I-71] ATSC type not accepted by vtuner is fixed
3. [SF4008-i-77] DVB-T2 is not accepted by vtuner is fixed
4. Minor bug fix.

1. VTuner Support auf 8 erhöht (VTuner: virtueller USB Tuner)
--> Info: Gesamt gleichzeitig 11 Tuner Support!
2. ATSC Support für VTuner USB
3. DVB-T2 (2G, aka) Support für VTuner USB
4. Diverse kleine Fehler behoben

ATSC seems to work correctly now.

eastof111
05-17-2017, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the progress report.

eastof111
05-17-2017, 02:13 PM
Noticed that most Euro sites are back ordered, except for Portugal and Finland. Also, with the $ crashing since February, the then 225 purchase price is now about 240 plus or minus. So, it should be interesting to see what the selling U.S. price will be in June.

MCelliotG
05-17-2017, 02:33 PM
El Bandido can you try the maximum usb tuners now? Maybe tbs along as well?

Στάλθηκε από το LG-D855 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

el bandido
05-18-2017, 08:36 PM
I have more than 8 usb tuners, but a lot of them are Sundtek. I can only get one Sundtek tuner to be seen or recognized. This is probably Not an Octagon issue, but rather a Sundtek issue.

Here is a listing of usb test tuners:

NIM Socket 0:
Type: DVB-S2
Name: Si21662
Frontend_Device: 0
Has_Ouput: no
I2C_Device: 0
NIM Socket 1:
Name: Si21662
Frontend_Device: 1
I2C_Device: 1
NIM Socket 2:
Type: DVB-T
Name: Sundtek ATSC / ClearQAM (0/0) (USB)
Frontend_Device: 2
I2C_Device: 23
NIM Socket 3:
Type: ATSC
Name: WinTV HVR-850
Frontend_Device: 3
I2C_Device: 24
NIM Socket 4:
Frontend_Device: 4
I2C_Device: 25
NIM Socket 5:
Type: DVB-T
Name: RTL2838UHIDIR
Frontend_Device: 5
I2C_Device: 26
NIM Socket 6:
Frontend_Device: 6
I2C_Device: 27
NIM Socket 7:
Name: TBS-5925
Frontend_Device: 7
I2C_Device: 28

MCelliotG
05-19-2017, 03:21 AM
So, I'm wondering if the respective tuner icon is shown in my skin. The coding in the skin is correct but untested. Can you see tuner 7 for instance?

chewie
05-20-2017, 07:03 PM
Hello EB
Do you know where can I get the Glamour Aura skin, I can't find it anywhere.
Please let me now.
Regards.
Chewie

el bandido
05-20-2017, 07:12 PM
How good are you at transferring files from the computer to the receiver? That skin has to be manually installed.

chewie
05-21-2017, 08:19 AM
Hello EB
I been transferring files for years now, is this a .IPK file?
Is OK if you worry about something, you don't have to share it , I will find it somewhere, is not like I am dying to have it.
Regards.
Chewie

el bandido
05-21-2017, 09:00 AM
Load the image in post #62 of this thread. That image has the skin installed.

el bandido
05-27-2017, 03:03 PM
The tuner in the Octagon is very sensitive and resolves 16 APSK signals better than the OS Mini as seen in the screencaps below.

Maybe one day the Octagon will have blindscan.

Tron 2.0
06-06-2017, 07:28 AM
I checked the Octagon 4008 specs on their German website, it does say that it does Blind Scan as well as USALS. But you didn't find a Blindscan anywhere deep in the menus or Settings?? I am looking at getting a new 4K Receiver that gets the new S2X signals for my motorized 3FT Ku Band Dish I put back up. ☺

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

el bandido
06-06-2017, 01:06 PM
Specs for fta equipment are usually nothing more than fantasies.
The SF4008 does not have blindscan now, and it probably will not have it next week or next month.

DaveLH
06-06-2017, 02:31 PM
I tend to agree with you EB, been thinking about this for a while now. We have been duped again here in North America, getting tired of this. I jumped the gun and purchased one early, thank god it was wasn't expensive.

el bandido
06-06-2017, 05:19 PM
Octagon has a good history of supporting their receivers. I firmly believe they will provide us with some sort of DVB-S DVB-S2 blindscan. It is just not high on their list of things to do. My guess on blindscan for the SF4008 is around 2018. IF it happens before then, I will be pleasantly surprised. We may see some more updates and upgrades soon because the next batch of SF4008's are fixing to hit the market.

Tron 2.0
06-06-2017, 06:36 PM
Specs for fta equipment are usually nothing more than fantasies.
The SF4008 does not have blindscan now, and it probably will not have it next week or next month.
Good news about that! Check this out from a guy in the UK who says you CAN have Blind Scan with that receiver! You might have to go through some hoops, but it's worth a shot if you read carefully below: ☺

Just checked my box & no blind scan funtion directly from within tuner config (lot of settings available so one may be what he need) however on my current build I am using AutoBouquets E2 whereas on past builds I have used AutoBouquetsMaker & this software has blind scan option! Tell your friend to remove Autobouquets E2 if he has used that & install AutoBouquetsMaker instead that should give him the option to blind scan that he is missing...!
(Oct is still an Enigma2 box so will install).

to find AutoBouquetsMaker use remote & goto plugins, then download plugins, then Extentions.. it will be in the list, download then restart box & it will be available in the menu under servicesearching to setup.

hope this helps!

el bandido
06-06-2017, 06:53 PM
Again. The Octagon SF4008 Currently Does Not Have DVB-S DVB-S2 blindscan for the internal tuners. I do not know how to make it any easier to understand than that. Maybe it will have blindscan for the internal DVB-S/S2 tuners next week, next month or next year, but not today. And there are no work-rounds or other magic to make it happen today either.

Tron 2.0
06-06-2017, 07:00 PM
Ok, sorry about that. 😔 A good several hours lost trying to get that researched out for people; so nevermind. Anyway, I guess I won't be buying the Octogon 4008, I will probably go with something else. 😕

el bandido
06-06-2017, 07:29 PM
We do not twist arms on buying receivers here, so purchase what you want with your monies. A person should buy a fta receiver or fta product based on what they want or need. Not on what the receiver or product will have or is supposed to have at some future point in time.

Bad or misinformation about fta receivers and other products is common. We try to only post correct and True information about fta products here, and we are loyal to no manufacturer or seller.

Esmos is the Octagon rep. Look at what is posted in the link.

We are not perfect, but several members of this forum spend time working with various enigma2 receivers. Usually we know what works and what does not in enigma2 receivers.

el bandido
06-06-2017, 07:49 PM
Updates have been made to the tuner configuration menu. Programmed satellites for a particular tuner are listed under that tuner (see attached Screencap).

MCelliotG
06-09-2017, 01:52 PM
Just to make skinners unhappy! 😠
There is no way to make selection pixmaps that large to fit all these satellites when you have a mobile dish. Instead of considering inplementing a rolling option for the multitemplate content they think everyone has small dishes with usals... I already see people complaining!

el bandido
06-11-2017, 09:15 PM
Good news about that! Check this out from a guy in the UK who says you CAN have Blind Scan with that receiver! You might have to go through some hoops, but it's worth a shot if you read carefully below: ☺

Just checked my box & no blind scan funtion directly from within tuner config (lot of settings available so one may be what he need) however on my current build I am using AutoBouquets E2 whereas on past builds I have used AutoBouquetsMaker & this software has blind scan option! Tell your friend to remove Autobouquets E2 if he has used that & install AutoBouquetsMaker instead that should give him the option to blind scan that he is missing...!
(Oct is still an Enigma2 box so will install).

to find AutoBouquetsMaker use remote & goto plugins, then download plugins, then Extentions.. it will be in the list, download then restart box & it will be available in the menu under servicesearching to setup.

hope this helps!

After today, Seems your friend in the UK has not a clue to what he talks about with internal tuner s/s2 blindscan. Looks like he gets his jollies from pulling your leg?

Let's take a quick look at the blindscan plugin code:

_supportNimType = { 'AVL1208':'', 'AVL6222':'6222_', 'AVL6211':'6211_', 'BCM7356':'bcm7346_'}
That snippet of code in the blindscan plugin shows what internal nims are supported. Neither the nims for the new Octagon or the new Zgemma H7 are in that list. Can it work without being in that list? I really do not know, but would say it is unlikely for internal tuners. That list is in there for a reason.

Now for the "hidden solution", or should we say the blindscan plugin that was alluded to earlier today. Take a look at this short video in the link.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]!b9MklSIS!gQEemZGovYRUohglvTlmphasxdX58qf2ABmXA4l-Vog

Easy enough to post a video, but seems your friend lacks the skills to do that, or just simply does not want to admit that he is playing with you. At any rate there is a video in the above link that shows what happens on a receiver that does not support blindscan.

Wanna try a Zgemma H7? Your friend says it has blindscan too, yes? Please buy one and find out.
In the past, XBMC Wizard has said they would ship to North America and they accept PayPal. Contact them and hopefully they will send you one. The H7 should be about 50 dollars less than the SF4008, depending on where you buy. The H7 and the second batch fo SF4008 are supposed be ready before the end of this month.
XBMC Wizard is here: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy your new enigma2 receiver! EB

MCelliotG
06-12-2017, 11:12 AM
What does autobouquetsmaker have to do with blindscan? I've read lots of crap throughout the years of having to do anything with E2 but this one takes the cake for sure!

chewie
06-24-2017, 09:23 AM
Hello Guys
I found this information:
NEW: Driver (Driver) update Octagon SF4008 - 23.06.17

FTP to

/lib/modules/4.1.37/extra

and restart the box.

================================================== =============
[ ReleaseNote ]

-. Tuner driver updated:
-> LNA On / Off function added. (Low Noise Amplifier)
. CI improved
. CA improved
. Run STB fixed.
-. Unlug CI fix.
-. Plug CI fix.
-. Video stop fix.
-. CA + CI use at same time fix.

Code:

Regards.
Chewie

el bandido
06-30-2017, 05:15 PM
A very short video was made available today that seems to suggest Kodi will be finished soon. My guess is within two weeks or less, some form of Kodi will be made available to the public. On or about July 11 is when Satshop.fi will have the SF4008 in stock again, so I sort of expect something nice to happen in the SF4008 image or firmware between now and July 11.

eastof111
06-30-2017, 10:06 PM
Hope so.

el bandido
07-16-2017, 03:42 PM
Driver updates were made last week for the 4008 that included ci improvements. I did not bother to load it. Last time I checked, tuner a would not receive 16apsk signals, but tuner b would receive 16apsk signals. Would like to see both tuners perform the same. Still no word on when or if Kodi will be finished, and after some 7 months of waiting, it appears that it could take 7 more months for Kodi to be finished. Then the work on blindscan can start after Kodi which may take several more months. So it could easily be well into 2018 before blindscan is released at the rate things are progressing.

I understand Rick Caylor will start selling the Octagon in the next week or two. The Octagon will be listed on his website once it becomes available which is here:[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Satshop.fi in Finland will also have the Octagon Sf4008 soon, and they are located here: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

I would suggest buying the SF4008 from Rick Caylor as long as his price is reasonable.

It would be hard for me to recommend the SF4008 in its present state. I have other good Linux enigma2 receivers that can blindscan, and the only real thing the Octagon has to offer me right now are a few 4K channels. It is just really not much of a box upgrade for me unless it can blindscan, but it is fine for watching tv and it does have a great picture. For someone that has a decent enigma2 receiver, purchasing the Octagon Sf4008 would not gain them much. But someone purchasing the Octagon as a first enigma2 receiver would probably realize many benefits as compared to most closed source fta receivers.

We can expect some more new receivers to be announced within two months, and possibly to be available before Christmas. Soon it will be August, and December will not be that far away. If I did not already own the SF4008, I would be in no hurry to buy one until some improvements were made. Hopefully things will change soon, but I amt not holding my breath now after some 7 months of waiting. EB

el bandido
07-28-2017, 12:18 PM
Kodi Beta release planned for next week.

[Only registered and activated users can see links] [/video]

el bandido
07-28-2017, 07:49 PM
16APSK will play on tuner B, but will not play on tuner A.

AAC radio stations at6 105W c band will not play on my Octagon.

Recordings of the full transponder(s) will probably be needed in order for these issues to be fixed. Octagon does not have access to 16APSK channels, or our radio channels. So a full stream recording will be the only way these problems can be fixed.

el bandido
08-04-2017, 05:53 PM
Did some Service Scan comparisons using the Octagon SF4008 and the dual DVB-S2 tuner Edision OS Mini. I used tuner B on both receivers for this test, and used the exact same antenna, and the exact same coax or feedline to the lnb. The SF4008 does not have blindscan yet, so we cannot test that. However, we can see how fast the SF4008 can scan a set of transponders for channels. The exact same satellite.xml file was used in both receivers.

eastof111
08-04-2017, 11:06 PM
Pros and cons and preference?

el bandido
08-05-2017, 08:21 AM
Pros and cons and preference? Of what? Sorry, but I do not understand what you are asking.

eastof111
08-05-2017, 05:26 PM
Octagon SF4008 and the dual DVB-S2 tuner Edision OS Mini.

el bandido
08-05-2017, 09:31 PM
In a nutshell, My Octagon SF4008 is not used most of the time because it has no internal tuner DVB-S/S2 blindscan. It would most likely be my main receiver if it had that feature. Overall, the SF4008 is probably a better receiver than the OS Mini. The SF4008 has more options and features than the OS Mini. But the SF4008 is just not a finished product yet, and it will probably be several more months before internal tuner blindscan is added and other small things are fixed. Recently there has been progress with Kodi and the SF4008, but I imagine and expect it will take more time - which will be measured in months - before Kodi is finished. We will see....

MCelliotG
08-06-2017, 05:35 PM
The comparison between OSmini and SF4008 is simply nonsensical. OSmini is a budget receiver with a slow CPU for today's standards, and some pretty serious issues (RAM management, BCM tuner problems, slow performance, gstreamer bugs, vtuner crashes/slugginess etc), but most of these problems won't even be detected by an average user who sticks to non full HD skins (or HD ones with simple graphics) and basic DVBS/DVBT reception. For the job that's expected it's a decent STB with great support that covers up its flaws. SF4008 has great hardware, the CPU alone at 12000 DMPIS is 6 times faster than OSmini's. However the support has been lackluster, even though the interest was and remains high. Blindscan is an unfortunate setback for all ARM receivers, call it lack of opensource binaries, lack of driver implementation, plus not yet support for OpenGL. Yes, if it had blindscan I would have already bought it myself too. The thing is though that even when these are not still present, one day they will and the basis which is the hardware is more than capable than handling all that.

eastof111
08-06-2017, 10:14 PM
Since I don't own either receiver, thanks for the update for future reference.

el bandido
08-23-2017, 03:01 PM
These messages are from Esmos today:

1st will finish kodi realese end of august. After then will start blindscan develop.

Improvement Kodi + driver update scheduled for late August.

It may be possible now to have a DVB-S/S2 blindscan before 2018.
Requests for driver updates have also been sent. Will be interesting to see what updates the drivers get, or what updates the drivers have this time.

el bandido
08-23-2017, 08:06 PM
The SF4008 may also be capable of a "blind lock" for multi stream and other types of transponders. I have never seen the blind lock function work before, so I do not know exactly what it does or how it works. It would be nice to see a new feature to go with the traditional blindscan. The data sheet also seems to suggest that these two features are ready for use. Hopefully blindscan and blind lock can be added in a short period of time once they start working on it.

I do not know what version of Si21662 the SF4008 uses, but I think it is Si21662D.

The Si21662D offers an on-chip blind scanning algorithm, as well
as blind lock function

I think the traditional path would be for Octagon to build a binary file to access the on-chip blind scanning algorithm, then use the existing blindscan plugin as an interface for user inputs.

el bandido
08-31-2017, 07:22 PM
Translated message from Esmos today:

yes new Kodi drivers have just arrived, times first check. I and / or Captain will report it in the forum.

I expect a new tuner driver to be released tomorrow or Monday, depending on how their testing goes.

eastof111
08-31-2017, 08:49 PM
Good to hear!

eastof111
09-02-2017, 12:27 PM
Glad to see Rick has sold out the first shipment he received. Looks like he will be placing a larger order in the coming days. Nice to see new owners entering the enigma market in the U.S.; hopefully, challenging the ebbing fta market.

el bandido
09-02-2017, 01:27 PM
Agreed. Good to see someone stepping up a bit.

I do not think the FTA market in North America would have shrank as fast as it did if new products had been introduced. Most American FTA dealers are more or less selling the same junk that was available in 2010. We will have to see what happens now...

el bandido
09-04-2017, 06:49 PM
Kodi test images are available for those that want to test. Kodi needs an internal or external hard drive installed in the receiver and a swap file to work correctly.

el bandido
09-06-2017, 07:11 PM
NOT what I wanted to see today.

Nein, Kodi gibt es noch nicht offiziell. Die Treiber wurden auch wegen Problemen wieder zurückgezogen.

German to English Translation:

No, Kodi does not officially exist yet. The drivers were also withdrawn because of problems.

What does this really mean?

Another week or two?....Another Month or Two???

Seems it would be best to fix the things that are fixable, and add things that are easy to add. THEN work on the Kodi Beast.

It is what it is. Patience is needed. Forget about blindscan until Kodi is finished. Maybe it will be sorted out and fixed soon.

eastof111
09-06-2017, 09:39 PM
Unfortunately or fortunately, on the other side of the pond, depending on one's viewpoint, Kodi will always be more popular and have precedence over blind scan.

But, should the SF4018 ever materialize, it supposedly will have blind scan upon its release. Rumors.....

MCelliotG
09-07-2017, 06:55 AM
I wouldn't hold my breath....
As long as there is not implementation in the drivers or the binaries required for any blindscan plugins, the problem will remain regardless the name of the STB. This is why we hope any of the manufacturers take time to fix these issues. Besides it's time they did something for the Enigma2 community from their side. For years they rely on what a team of hobbyists will do for free to get into their receivers and make money from that with multistream support being one of these...

el bandido
09-07-2017, 06:47 PM
New SF4008 driver released today. I do not see anything listed in the release notes that fixes the 16 APSK not working in tuner A. Tuner B is the only tuner for me that works with 16 APSK. I will load this new driver and see what it does. The new driver can be uploaded here if someone wants to test it.

el bandido
09-07-2017, 07:26 PM
New Driver is already added to SatDreamGr image. (Online update shown.)

el bandido
09-13-2017, 08:28 AM
Maybe this will fix the memory issue:

NEU: Treiber (Driver) update Octagon SF4008 - 13.09.17

[Release Note]

1. tuner A - recording, tuner C live pixeling : fixed
2. ac3 no works. : fixed
3. Div. CI Module tested.

CI SETTING
dsmart & high bitrate ci modules:
menu->Setup->Common interface->Common interface-> set High bitrate support "yes"
If High bitrate support is set "No", pixeling will occur.

For all other CI Modules :
It does not matter high bitrate support is set Yes or No.
Users may choose a proper setting according to the circumstances.

5.kernel patch for memory info on OSD to be shown 1GB as follows.

# cat /proc/meminfo

MemTotal: 1048576 kB
MemFree: 262880 kB
MemAvailable: 275736 kB
Buffers: 4432 kB
Cached: 27316 kB
SwapCached: 0 kB
Active: 12788 kB
Inactive: 22636 kB
Active(anon): 3772 kB
Inactive(anon): 196 kB
Active(file): 9016 kB
Inactive(file): 22440 kB
Unevictable: 0 kB
Mlocked: 0 kB
HighTotal: 8188 kB
HighFree: 7096 kB
LowTotal: 305412 kB
LowFree: 255784 kB
SwapTotal: 0 kB
SwapFree: 0 kB
Dirty: 0 kB
Writeback: 0 kB
AnonPages: 3668 kB
Mapped: 8064 kB
Shmem: 300 kB
Slab: 9668 kB
SReclaimable: 4992 kB
SUnreclaim: 4676 kB
KernelStack: 720 kB
PageTables: 432 kB
NFS_Unstable: 0 kB
Bounce: 0 kB
WritebackTmp: 0 kB
CommitLimit: 156800 kB
Committed_AS: 21020 kB
VmallocTotal: 704512 kB
VmallocUsed: 4040 kB
VmallocChunk: 656040 kB
CmaTotal: 16384 kB
CmaFree: 15872 kB

Images will be ready from tomorrow !
Images ab morgen Online !

el bandido
09-13-2017, 08:31 AM
This is what I have now:

satdreamgr-openpli 5 sf4008

sf4008 login: root
MemTotal: 313572 kB
MemFree: 125844 kB
MemAvailable: 196316 kB
Buffers: 5280 kB
Cached: 65236 kB
Active: 88016 kB
Inactive: 49492 kB
Active(anon): 67056 kB
Inactive(anon): 64 kB
Active(file): 20960 kB
Inactive(file): 49428 kB
HighFree: 2996 kB
LowTotal: 305384 kB
LowFree: 122848 kB
Dirty: 0 kB
AnonPages: 66988 kB
Mapped: 24836 kB
Shmem: 132 kB
Slab: 18812 kB
SReclaimable: 8940 kB
SUnreclaim: 9872 kB
KernelStack: 688 kB
PageTables: 836 kB
CommitLimit: 156784 kB
Committed_AS: 98556 kB
VmallocUsed: 186028 kB
VmallocChunk: 399392 kB

el bandido
09-13-2017, 01:32 PM
Same query after an online update:

satdreamgr-openpli 5 sf4008

sf4008 login: root
MemTotal: 1048576 kB
MemFree: 125428 kB
MemAvailable: 195460 kB
Buffers: 4128 kB
Cached: 65960 kB
Active: 89464 kB
Inactive: 48316 kB
Active(anon): 67764 kB
Inactive(anon): 64 kB
Active(file): 21700 kB
Inactive(file): 48252 kB
HighFree: 3144 kB
LowTotal: 305380 kB
LowFree: 122284 kB
Dirty: 8 kB
AnonPages: 67696 kB
Mapped: 24632 kB
Shmem: 132 kB
Slab: 18968 kB
SReclaimable: 8936 kB
SUnreclaim: 10032 kB
KernelStack: 728 kB
PageTables: 824 kB
CommitLimit: 156784 kB
Committed_AS: 98732 kB
VmallocUsed: 186028 kB
VmallocChunk: 399392 kB

el bandido
09-14-2017, 09:09 PM
There are more than 2000 radio stations on 105West, c band. The Octagon SF4008 cannot play most of them. A test video showing this issue is in the link.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]!K0slmC4C!FRrTBS2uYXh4vhugLDBCIlBPw-z1mM3Pdaw5fYQC3WA

el bandido
09-15-2017, 11:33 AM
Update Info ab heute atv 6.0 und 6.1 , erste final Public Kodi für SF4008 auf dem feed viel spass beim testen

German to English:

Update info from today atv 6.0 and 6.1, first final Public Kodi for SF4008 on the feed much fun with the test

So updates from today,9-15-2017 will contain the Kodi public release in OpenAtv 6.0 and 6.1 images!

Very Good to see this!

el bandido
09-15-2017, 12:13 PM
To use Kodi, a hard drive should be installed, and a swap file needs to be made A quick test by me shows a functioning Kodi 17.

Congratulations to the Octagon Team!

el bandido
09-15-2017, 12:28 PM
OpenATV is German a based image and it contains European satellites and channel bouquets in the default image. We cannot receive these satellites in North America, so all default scanned satellites and their channels/boquets should be deleted. I copied this telnet command from an unknown source some time ago. This is the best telnet command, and the best way that I have seen to clear the OpenATV images of these unusable entries.

Here is the command:
init 4 && sleep 10 && rm -rf /etc/defaultsat.tar.gz && rm -rf /etc/enigma2/lamedb* && rm -rf /etc/enigma2/*.tv && rm -rf /etc/enigma2/*.radio && rm -rf /etc/enigma2/*.del && init 3

(That is a one line command or single line entry, starting with init 4 and ending with init 3.)

el bandido
09-16-2017, 07:49 AM
Kodi now available in SatDreamGr images for SF4008.

el bandido
09-18-2017, 07:39 AM
I do not see any major problems being reported with Kodi, and the parts of Kodi I tested over the weekend worked very well.

Blindscan is supposed to be the next Octagon project for the SF4008.

el bandido
09-18-2017, 11:58 AM
Kodi 17.4 OCTAGON Video

el bandido
09-20-2017, 08:08 AM
More driver updates.

NEU: Treiber (Driver) update Octagon SF4008 - 20.09.17

[Release Note]

AC3 issue fixed.
sf4008-drivers-4.1.37-6.3.0-20170920 update
sf4008-v3ddriver-20170920 update
sf4008-driver-update-20170920.patch

chewie
09-21-2017, 08:06 AM
Hello EB
My box is having a hell of a time with these new drivers, there is no audio and not just on one image is in most of them VIX, SATGREAM,ATV,OPENEIGHT,EGAMI, if I go back to the early updates like the beginning of this month or earlier than I get the audio back, I compare the settings from an earlier image with audio to the latest image and there is no difference, I hope nothing got corrupted.
Let me know if you have any Ideas.
Regards.
Chewie

el bandido
09-21-2017, 09:50 AM
Have you changed the HDMI cable?
There is a 9-20 online update on SatDreamGr image. Did you install and test it?

chewie
09-21-2017, 09:58 AM
I did installed all the update from yesterday and no sound, I haven't change the HDMI cable yet, but like I mentioned it works fine with earlier images, The HDMI is going true a HDMI switch, I am going to bypass it and see if it corrects the problem, I'll let you know.
Regards.
Chewie

el bandido
09-21-2017, 12:47 PM
I visit several other forums that have many SF4008 users. I would expect to see a thread or threads on this subject if the sound issues was from the driver or image updates. Check your settings in the receiver and try another HDMI cable.

AndyX
09-25-2017, 07:24 AM
There are sound problems on Dolby sound since 15th September. It is a driver issue which, to date, is unresolved. Reports are available in a number of forums.

el bandido
09-25-2017, 11:40 AM
Feel free to post the links to other forums where this issue is being discussed. I would like to look at what they are saying.

So the channels without Dolby audio should work?

I have not had any problems yet with audio, but I am not a multiboot user either. Don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

el bandido
09-25-2017, 02:36 PM
From esmos:

NEU: Treiber (Driver) update Octagon SF4008 - 25.09.17

[Release Note]
1. Fixed AC3 issue
2. Fixed Audio issue on 2160P resolution

GitHub oe-alliance-core/meta-brands/meta-octagon at 4.0 * oe-alliance/oe-alliance-core * GitHub

Ab morgen in den Images! From tomorrow in Images!

AndyX
09-26-2017, 09:16 AM
Feel free to post the links to other forums where this issue is being discussed. I would like to look at what they are saying.

So the channels without Dolby audio should work?

I have not had any problems yet with audio, but I am not a multiboot user either. Don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

I have had to load an older version of the software which has solved the sound problem on Dolby Digital sound. As a new driver update has just been isued with reference to the AC3 sound problem, I hoped this was now fixed but it is reported today "quotaOriginally Posted by esmos View Post

NEW: Driver (Driver) update Octagon SF4008 - 25.09.17

[Release note]
1. Fixed AC3 issue
2. Fixed audio issue on 2160P resolution

GitHub oe-alliance-core / meta-brands / meta-octagon at 4.0 * oe-alliance / oe-alliance-core * GitHub

From tomorrow in the Images! From tomorrow in Images!
Sound does not work yet.

Maybe tomorrow! I took the opertunity to try Openvix using the last stable version which has no sound problems. it means loosing Kodi but I don't really need that as I have the Nvidia shield for that which does a great job.

I am really looking forward to the blind scan being developed. I am tempted to buy a OCTAGON SX88 in the meantime just for the blind scan.

el bandido
09-26-2017, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the link. I have seen the thread but do not understand the problem with the audio because AC3 works for me in all the channels I have tested.
Are you running multiboot?
What are some of the channels and satellites that AC3 does not work on for you?

Thanks.

AndyX
09-27-2017, 03:35 AM
The problem with all Dolby digital channels is only with drivers since mid September. If you are using older drivers then there is no problem. If you are tuning to non Dolby digital channels there is also no problems. Reverting to drivers prior to the broken ones solves this issue for those that are experiencing sound problems until the manufacturer managed to rectify this. Recent driver updates log indicate they are trying to find a solution to this problem. To date reports indicate a lack of success so far.

el bandido
09-27-2017, 05:31 AM
All the channels with AC3 audio that I watch have sound and have not lost sound. I have updated drivers every time they have been released, ran different images...etc. No audio problems, so I do not understand where the problem is. Hopefully they will fix it for those that are having audio issues!

AC3 audio test video using SF4008 is in the link.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]!f89lUQoZ!DViX-bmgTeqn5gr7XyFNKIcsCpz5fsuQctSVUawNFO0

el bandido
09-28-2017, 11:49 AM
Online Driver update is available now in SatDreamGr experimental image.

el bandido
09-29-2017, 03:06 PM
And another driver update today. Whatever else is broken in the drivers will stay broken for a couple of weeks.

now holiday in korea, driver team back after 10.10 so need some time for next fix !

gpflepsen
09-30-2017, 02:22 PM
I've had the audio problem (since mid-Sept) with Open8 6.0, OpenATV 6.0 and 6.1, I've had it with EGAMI 8.0.5 and Opendroid 6.4. Audio can be working, but if I change video resolutions I can loose the audio. Sometimes a reboot will restore the audio and other times I need to completely reinstall the firmware. The lesson learned is to not mess with the video resolutions, I set them to 2160P60 and leave them alone now.

chewie
10-02-2017, 10:39 AM
Hello EB
I heard the issue was with 2160p, I reloaded the ATV image from the 10/1/2017, set the video for 1080 and the sound works just fine, I updated the image to today's update and still working fine with video set to 1080, if you box is set to 1080 most likely you not going to see the problem.
I hope this issues get's fixed, I am glad is not the box.
Regards.
Chewie

el bandido
10-02-2017, 11:56 AM
Makes sense as to why I did not have the problem now!
Unfortunately, the Koreans are on vacation, so it will probably be 7 or more days before another driver is released.
I appreciate the comments, and thanks for clearing this up for me!

gpflepsen
10-02-2017, 05:16 PM
I've found that an initiator, at least for me, is turning the PiP function on and not neccessarily being in 2160P60 mode alone. At least this is a pattern I observed yesterday.

el bandido
10-02-2017, 06:36 PM
Esmos of Octagon knows about this problem. Unfortunately, the people that do the coding are on vacation for about 1 week more or less. Doubt we see much done in that amount of time.

There was a bug in ATSC. ON low power stations, the ONID may be the same for several different channels or frequencies (transponder). The Atlanta, Ga. area has several of these, and it would cause a real mess because enigma2 could only process the last ONID scanned. This resulted in the other previous scanned channels with the same ONID to not work!
Athoik and SatDreamGr have solved this problem in the latest experimental image. A new setting shown in the screencap takes care of this problem. The location of this new setting is Menu--->Setup--->System---Customize. Scroll down to the last setting and change "Ignore DVB namespace sub network" to No.

I appreciate the ATSC work that has been done by Athoik, SatDreamGr, OpenAtv, OpenVix, and other groups. There are only a small amount of ATSC Countries, and I really appreciate the help that has been given so we can view Terrestrial channels on FTA receivers in North America!

Here are the supported ATSC devices for Octagon SF4008:
Hauppauge 850
Hauppauge 950q
Hauppauge 955q

These three devices are the only ones that have been tested and known to work on the SF4008 using SatDreamGr images.

el bandido
10-04-2017, 09:28 PM
Additional work was done today. Athoik, SatDreamGr, defined a way for enigma2 to check for usb devices:

Instead of adding more and more checks on ep_XX values I created a generic check that will check the link if contains usb, if that is true, then we have a usb.

So when new values appear on ep_XX you don't have to care any more, enigma2 will identify those usb devices at once, as long as the link contains usb in the path.

In other words, he gave us a way to make the Hauppauge 955q work the first time, but fixed it in a more correct manner today. This update is available now as an online update in SatDreamGr experimental images for the SF4008.

I was having trouble before this last fix getting more than one Hauppauge 850 to be recognized when the Hauppauge 955q was attached. As a test, I connected 3 Hauppauge 850's to the SF4008 along with the Hauppauge 955q. The results can be seen in the screencaps below.

eastof111
10-05-2017, 02:08 AM
Been out of the loop for a while.... in past conversations regarding duo2, I asked why Sundtek and Hauppauge 850 could not coexist and the pix posted above shows both are available. Info please.

MCelliotG
10-05-2017, 12:00 PM
This is fantastic. I think it's high time I debuted my skin too!

el bandido
10-05-2017, 12:53 PM
The Duo2 would have the same usb device update as the SF4008. Do the same: Download the latest SatDreamGr experimental image, then update online. Sundtek and Hauppauge should work.

The skin by Miss MCelliotG fits the SF4008 like a glove! It is the skin that I use for the Octagon most of the time, and it works very well!

I would pretty much consider the SF4008 to be "complete" once some sort of internal tuner blindscan is available. Everything else seems to work for me using a 1080 television. There are known issues with the SF4008 when using 4K television. The 4K issues should be fixed soon.

chewie
10-05-2017, 01:37 PM
This is fantastic. I think it's high time I debuted my skin too!

Hello MCelliotG
which Skin you debuted? can you share it with us here.
Let us know.
Thanks.
Chewie

MCelliotG
10-05-2017, 01:50 PM
I haven't debuted it yet, most probably in the weekend. My Glamour Aura FHD skin for openPLI.

MCelliotG
10-05-2017, 01:54 PM
@elbandido the last time I was called a miss was 15 years ago when I had long hair and a drunk guy saw me in the dark. I laughed so hard at this! Lol

eastof111
10-05-2017, 03:06 PM
The Duo2 would have the same usb device update as the SF4008. Do the same: Download the latest SatDreamGr experimental image, then update online. Sundtek and Hauppauge should work.

The skin by Miss MCelliotG fits the SF4008 like a glove! It is the skin that I use for the Octagon most of the time, and it works very well!

Thanks, will give it a try this weekend.

el bandido
10-18-2017, 02:39 PM
OpenVix has applied the updates and fixes for ATSC. I appreciate this!

chewie
10-18-2017, 05:53 PM
also the ATV image implemented the changes.

el bandido
10-19-2017, 02:42 PM
Here is a note about the audio issue:

We have been testing with various TVs and HDMI cables in the lab but we have not been able to reproduce the issue so we consulted with Broadcom for this issue.
It means 2160p60Hz is ok for most of the users but some users may have issues like audio problem in some cases while most of users do not have any problem.
So our R&D think that this is the bandwidth problem for some users with their specific environment as the data carried via HDMI cable is too much.
For example, we put KODI and that may cause data overflow missing audio data during transmission in certain environment.
In order to solve this data overflow for certain users, we suggest they turn off PIP function as below video link and see if the audio issue is gone.
By switching off PIP, we can reduce the data via HDMI cable and it could probably fix the audio issue.
Please test also with different HDMI Cables.

chewie
10-19-2017, 08:09 PM
Hello EB
Regarding this issue, I don't have PIP enable, unless there is other way of disabling it, on the Satdreamgr image if you press the blue button a menu comes up and this is where the PIP is at. unless there is another way of disabling that I don't know about, I have try different HDMI cables, nice cables, I don't have cheep cables and the problem still there, most of the images from mid august or before work fine, if I was to install any of these older images on the flash and installed another image in multiboot with the latest updates, I can set this image for 2160p 60hz and it works fine no sound issues.
These guys just can fix the problem and there is more than a few users with this issue.
If you talk to this guy just let him know what I said.
Regards.
Chewie

el bandido
10-19-2017, 09:23 PM
Try changing this setting and see if it helps. Go to the audio/video menu.

Change the last entry to this.

Save the settings. exit and reboot. Please try this and see if it helps, hurts, or does nothing.

I also need to know exactly which image works correctly from several months ago. Thanks.

chewie
10-19-2017, 09:41 PM
Hello EB
After my last post, I started to look and see if there something else related to PIP, and I found a setting under AUDIO/VIDEO, I made the change, restarted the receiver and there was my sound I was going to post it then I saw your recommendations.
I worked on the SatDream image, I got to try it on the others and see.
Chewie<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< HAPPY CAMPER.
Regards.

el bandido
10-19-2017, 09:42 PM
also the ATV image implemented the changes.

OpenATV added the fix for the Hauppauge 955q which is greatly appreciated! They have not added the namespace fix - as of 10-19-2017.

Ignore DVB namespace sub network (change from yes to no).

chewie
10-19-2017, 10:14 PM
OK EB
Made the change under video in EGAMI, OPENVIX, OPENATV images and 2160p 60HZ works fine no issues with sound any more.
Regards.
Chewie

el bandido
10-20-2017, 09:01 PM
Have you tried a high speed cable with ethernet like the one in the link? I wonder if it would work on either setting in the fta receiver?

[Only registered and activated users can see links] Z

chewie
10-21-2017, 09:38 AM
I order this today I will give a shot.
Regards.
Chewie

el bandido
10-21-2017, 09:48 AM
What about the cable that was included with the Octagon Sf4008? Have you tried it?

chewie
10-21-2017, 05:45 PM
Yes I tried it and same thing, diden't work.

maxy1
10-24-2017, 02:00 PM
MCelliotG Has made an excellent skin for the Octagon SF4008. This skin will work with other receivers, but it works extremely well on the Octagon. A short demo video is in the link, and a couple of screenshots are attached.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]!LkkmCIKK!oHr2EalgBmU8saqs6nKDbNoH4ezXkQk0u4_8Wj0 hkxo

Hi, what is this skin called ? where can I download it ?

el bandido
11-10-2017, 09:33 PM
I do not know when the skin will be available in .ipk or in feeds, but I will try to update this thread when the skin is available.

el bandido
11-15-2017, 08:22 PM
The SF4008 has been out almost a year now, so most likely what you see now is the finished product. Octagon is working on a new receiver and the SF4008 will probably be a low priority now.
I still think DVB-S2 blindscan for the internal tuners will be added but it may be sometime in 2018 before we see it. I doubt much of anything else gets fixed though, and I will probably not be in a hurry to buy the next new Octagon receiver. The support for the SF4008 from the manufacturer has not been that great, and I feel that manufacturer support has been much less than advertised.

Some people in North America are having problems with the SF4008 and OpenATV image. Most of these problems are self inflicted, and they are also being caused by a vendor that is unprepared to market enigma2 receivers correctly. It makes no sense to sell a receiver in North America with an image that is designed for Germany installed in the receiver. It is what it is, and I wish the people that are struggling with OpenAtv the best of luck. Excellent people are at OpenATV, but there is no one from North America actively working with them to make sure the image runs correctly for us. So problems or issues are to be expected. EB

eastof111
11-15-2017, 09:41 PM
After reading the writing on the wall, I am glad I waited and did not purchase. I enjoy testing, but after a while, stacking receivers into the closet due to problems not corrected, starts to get old. Plus, having to deal with the wife asking why I need so many receivers, I just retort "why do you need so many shoes in the closet?". This usually neutralizes the conversation.

Hopefully, in 2018 a company will market a 4k receiver similar to the Optibox with StiLinux which will work for N.A. Or, maybe Octagon will get their act together and will fulfill a SF4018 with four tuners similar to the Duo2. As of now I am still a happy camper with the Duo2 and the enjoyment it's provided in both testing and other capabilities.

If I need 4k programming, I am happy with my 4k smart android tv to supply my need until a good 4k receiver is marketed in 2018.

el bandido
11-15-2017, 11:02 PM
First and foremost, Octagon did help with getting ATSC installed in their receiver. I really appreciate that.
Second, The SF4008 is a Great fta receiver IF you do not already own a great fta receiver. The Duo2 serves us well, and it saw several unexpected upgrades. There is not enough decent 4K content on satellite right now to make a 4K receiver a "must have" thing.
Third, historically, we do not see much manufacturer support after a receiver has been on the market for 6 months. Things like APSK not working on tuner A and the two thousand radio stations not playing on 105 West will probably never get fixed on the SF4008.
Fourth, someone in North America finally decided to sell enigma2 receivers. This in itself is a good thing, but it is bad because the North Amnerican sellers have no clue on how to support the product! I doubt that changes with the current enigma2 sellers. You would think they would at least know about the enigma2 manual written by OpenVix and point their customers to it. Image features will vary but most enigma2 menus are the same in every image. The blind will probably continue to lead the blind...

Bottom line:
Anyone that would like to try an enigma2 receiver for the first time, OR someone that has one of the old dual boot enigma2 receivers would probably love the SF4008, provided they can figure out how to use it.
Anyone that already has a decent enigma2 receiver like the Duo2 or even the Dual tuner OS Mini will probably not see much benefit from purchasing the SF4008.

Overall:
I am glad the SF4008 was produced and am happy to see it sold in North America. But it could have been so much better in many different ways.

eastof111
11-16-2017, 12:51 AM
"Octagon did help with getting ATSC installed in their receiver" A few thumbs up to athoik too!

And yes, glad Rick took the plunge with the SF4008. It's a great start for new comers getting into fta with E2. Hopefully the audience will grow and mature. "but it is bad because the North American sellers have no clue on how to support the product!" True, but some die hard linux pci card users are taking the plunge to experiment with this receiver and thus assisting newcomers. Unless a good E2 receiver marketing scheme is initiated for N.A., the only factor will be word of mouth advertising. "Word of mouth", be it good or bad through complaints from people unable to handle the E2 learning curve.

Again, I am patiently waiting for 2018 and hope that the E2 market expands in the U.S.

el bandido
11-17-2017, 09:39 AM
Hi, what is this skin called ? where can I download it ?

Glamour Aura FHD (GAFHD) is a Full High Definition and High graphic resolution skin for receivers running Enigma2 and the recent OpenPLI/OpenPLI-based images.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]-1031683

MCelliotG
11-17-2017, 12:03 PM
In what section can I make a post for my skin here too?

el bandido
11-17-2017, 01:21 PM
We do not have a skin section (yet). It is a plugin, so you may post it in plugins.

Or

You may post in another enigma2 location if you want.

ViP3R
11-17-2017, 01:50 PM
New Enigma 2 Skin section [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Thank you MCelliotG for all the hard work on your skin!! :thumbup:

ViP3R
11-17-2017, 01:58 PM
And E2 Skin discussion section if you like. [Only registered and activated users can see links]

ViP3R
11-17-2017, 02:01 PM
One of these day's I will get around to putting everything in alphabetical order..tons of work and time.

el bandido
11-23-2017, 10:43 PM
New drivers for the SF4008 are in SatDreamGr feeds.

Upgrading kernel-module-linuxtv from 4.1.37+20170930-r3 to 4.1.37+20171020-r3 on root.
Upgrading kernel-module-linuxtv (4.1.37+20171020) on root.
Downloading [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Configuring enigma2-plugin-extensions-mediascanner.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-extensions-pictureplayer.
Configuring enigma2-plugins.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-networkbrowser.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-mphelp.
Configuring kernel-module-linuxtv.
Configuring octagon-dvb-modules-sf4008.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-fastscan.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-hotplug.
Configuring libdvbsi++1.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-cablescan.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-wirelesslan.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-extensions-moviecut.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-extensions-openwebif.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-osd3dsetup.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-extensions-cutlisteditor.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-positionersetup.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-systemtime.
Configuring enigma2-fonts.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-extensions-foreca.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-videomode.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-softwaremanager.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-osdpositionsetup.
Configuring tuxbox-common.
Configuring enigma2.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-extensions-mediaplayer.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-hdmicec.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-skinselector.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-extensions-graphmultiepg.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-blindscan.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-satfinder.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-videotune.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-extensions-audiosync.

These drivers should also be in OpenAtv images from 11-24-2017.

el bandido
11-29-2017, 01:47 PM
The last update changes the way the SF4008 looks at transponders. To get a signal on transponder in the SF4008 for DVB-S/S2, you only need the frequency, symbol rate, and polarity. All other transponder values may be set to auto in the SF4008. This change allows the SF4008 to use the satellites.xml file from the Octagon SX88! SO now it is possible to have the SX88 blindscan for the SF4008!

Here is an example of the satellites.xml file that is in my SF4008. (It was taken form the SX88.)

<transponder frequency="3813000" symbol_rate="8030000" polarization="0" fec_inner="0" system="0" modulation="0" mts="0" plsN="0"/>

Am unable to test DVB-S2x or multi-stream. These transponder types are not available for me to test yet.

MCelliotG
11-29-2017, 02:20 PM
This is exactly how TBS works too! All values are set to auto!

el bandido
11-29-2017, 02:43 PM
TBS or TBS5925 will log fec and other transponder items correctly, but only needs three items to get a signal. So Yes. same as TBS!

It would be nice if the SF4008 would get the promised blindscan, but using the SX88 will work for me until something better is available.

MCelliotG
11-29-2017, 04:59 PM
The engineers of Octagon all they have to do is give the closed source code of the blindscan algorithm of SX88 and port it to Enigma2. It's easy and doable. They simply don't want to, because that will mess the sales of their SX88, since Octagon uses Opensource Enigma2 and once the secret is out everyone will port it to their own similar receivers.
This is why I don't really believe them when they say it's difficult....

eastof111
11-30-2017, 03:47 PM
Makes sense. As usual it's always about the money and not about the right thing to do (release the code).

el bandido
12-13-2017, 10:20 PM
Attached is a screencap of a finished free(FTA) scan of 97 West c band. Start and finish time stamps have been added by customizing the service scan file.
The SF4008 scan was done using a satellites.xml file that was generated by blindscanning the Octagon SX88. This will probably be as close as you can get to a blindscan in the SF4008.

el bandido
12-14-2017, 09:37 PM
Here is a screencap of the SX88 channel file inserted into the SF4008:

The channel names or numbering is a bit different for the SX88. I prefer the format of channel names that the SF4008 generates.

Attached is a satellites.xml file that was partially made using the SX88. I deleted all of the transponders for the c band satellites from 87 West to 135 West, and blindscanned each c band satellite. Doing this makes a decent satellites.xml file.
I also install the satellites.xml in the etc/enigma2 folder of the SF4008 so it will not be written over if I decide to online update the image.

el bandido
12-14-2017, 09:55 PM
I added a scan for lamedb transponders which only scans the transponders that are logged in the lamedb channel file. This feature cleans up after scanning for feeds, and it saves time as compared to rescanning all transponders.

Now my channel names are fixed...

el bandido
12-27-2017, 05:50 PM
New drivers should be available in OpenATV and SatDreamGr images within 24 hours.

NEU: Treiber (Driver) update Octagon SF4008 - 27.12.17

[Release Note]
USB tuner stability enhancement
Minor bugs fixed
Some optmizes

GitHub:
oe-alliance-core/meta-brands/meta-octagon at 4.1 * oe-alliance/oe-alliance-core * GitHub ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

ab morgen in den Images.
From tomorrow in images.

chewie
12-27-2017, 09:07 PM
Thanks EB, there is something wrong with the ATV 6.1, after re-booting it gets stuck on booting, had to change the image to VIX for now and installing SatDreamGr on multiboot and see how it behaves.
Regards.
Chewie

el bandido
12-28-2017, 12:20 PM
Post a debug log using telnet and we will look at what is causing the receiver to hang.

chewie
12-28-2017, 07:09 PM
Hello EB
I installed the SatdrewamGr new image and is doing the same thing as the ATV image, It gets stuck on booting I have to install a new Image to get it going again, I install a previous image of the SatdreamGr without the new driver and no issues.
I don't know how to get the debug log, I am sure I am not the only one with this problem.
Hope they fix this soon.
Regards.
Chewie

el bandido
12-28-2017, 07:23 PM
The new driver did not show up in SatDreamGr image until a few hours ago.
Here is what my update log shows:

Configuring enigma2-plugin-extensions-mediascanner.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-extensions-pictureplayer.
Configuring enigma2.
Configuring kernel-module-linuxtv.
Configuring nextv-v3ddriver-sf4008.
Configuring platform-util-sf4008.
Adding system startup for /etc/init.d/platform-util.
Configuring octagon-dvb-modules-sf4008.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-fastscan.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-hotplug.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-cablescan.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-wirelesslan.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-osd3dsetup.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-extensions-cutlisteditor.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-positionersetup.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-videomode.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-softwaremanager.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-osdpositionsetup.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-extensions-mediaplayer.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-hdmicec.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-skinselector.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-extensions-graphmultiepg.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-satfinder.
Configuring enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-videotune.

The system is going down for reboot NOW!

Where or how does the image get stuck in booting? When you turn the receiver off???

el bandido
12-28-2017, 07:32 PM
OK.

Mine is stuck on booting....
Let's see if we can find out why...

el bandido
12-28-2017, 08:03 PM
There is no good way to recover from this bad update. You either have to start over with an older image, or restore a back-up image.

chewie
12-28-2017, 08:37 PM
Thanks EB, I stared all over with previous image.
Regards.
Chewie

el bandido
01-03-2018, 11:06 PM
It seems this stuck in booting has caused some boxes to fail to load any file? I do not know if this was caused by incompetence of the users, or if the dead boxes are flawed in some way? At any rate, some repairs have been posted that have a bolt.bin file. The bolt.bin file is critical to the box and can render the box useless. I suggest avoiding using a bolt.bin solution for recovery unless you have nothing to lose.

Here is a translated quote from Captain at OpenATV about using the bolt.bin solution:

[QUOTE = Captain; 337340]

I would also watch out there have bolt.bin in the folder

if something goes wrong, the box is completely dead [/ QUOTE]

I have more or less given up on this SF4008 product. Time for me to look for something else...

chewie
01-07-2018, 09:33 PM
Hello EB
Well what do you think about the VU+ ZERO 4K Receiver, Kimmo is selling it for 129.00 euros, I would like to replace my Miraclebox Ultra, this receiver is good 2 tuners, I don't use it that much, I would let it go for 125.00 dollars if anybody is interested.
Regards.
Chewie

el bandido
01-07-2018, 10:39 PM
Vu+ Does not talk with the customer. This much we know.

Vu+ Products do work though, and they build good quality receivers. As a basic receiver, I think the Zero 4K will work just fine. Just do not expect any recording capabilities or much of anything else. It is a zapper.

MCelliotG
01-09-2018, 05:01 PM
Hello EB
Well what do you think about the VU+ ZERO 4K Receiver, Kimmo is selling it for 129.00 euros, I would like to replace my Miraclebox Ultra, this receiver is good 2 tuners, I don't use it that much, I would let it go for 125.00 dollars if anybody is interested.
Regards.
Chewie

Simple, if you don't mind inaccurate and non-sensical signal indication in only percentages with never a possible db support, then go for it! That's the staple with Vu receivers.

el bandido
01-11-2018, 10:14 PM
I will comment about the booting issues and people supposedly bricking receivers.

First, I have had no booting issues using SatDreamGr images. There was a driver update around 12-27-2017, and this did cause the SatDreamGr image to get stuck in boot. This bad update was removed, so there seem to be no current issues with SatDreamGr images and the SF4008.
If you have a SF4008 that is stuck in boot, try downloading and installing the Satdreamgr-5-sf4008-20180102.zip image located in the link. [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Understand that in enigma2, there are two main groups which are OE Alliance and OpenPLi.
SatDreamGr and PKT images are based on OpenPLi.
OpenATV, Openvix, OpenEight, and most of the other SF4008 images are mainly based on OE Alliance.
For some reason, OpenPLi based images do not seem to have the "stuck in boot issue" or some of the other issues OE Alliance based images are having. I say this based on loading many different images from several different groups over a period of days.

I also think that no one enigma2 group is better or superior to any other enigma2 group or groups. The different enigma2 groups are known to share and help each other. However, this booting or "stuck in boot" seems to be in the OE Alliance based images, and not in the OpenPLi images. There could be many reasons for this, and I do not care to try to understand why.

So if your SF4008 receiver is stuck in boot, try downloading and installing the SatDreamGr image listed above.
If your SF4008 receiver is having problems or issues besides being stuck in boot, then try setting HDR to NO as seen in the attached screencap.

I do not see this booting problem as the fault of OE Alliance, OpenPLi or any enigma2 image group. This problem came directly from Octagon, and they will have to fix it!

Note: Enabling No HDR should put you in 1080 resolution, so you lose your 4k resolution. This should be a temporary fix or adjustment. Special Thanks to Captain, OpenATV, and all the others who have worked on solutions for this issue!

el bandido
01-12-2018, 10:47 AM
From Esmos:
NEW: Driver (driver) update Octagon SF4008 - 1/12/18

- remove temporary kodi support
- Fixes audio issues on 2160P / 60Hz on certain TVs
- Fixes no booting on HDR mode
- Fixes undate.bin issue

- -> Important, User must flash image new!

GitHub
oe-alliance-core / meta-brands / meta-octagon at 4.1 * oe-alliance / oe-alliance-core * GitHub

OpenATV 6.1

OpenATV 6.2

Load todays image from the above links, and it will fix the stuck in boot problem for most receivers. I imagine removing Kodi fixed some other things too.

chewie
01-13-2018, 11:55 AM
Hello EB
I installed both images and it corrected the booting issue but the sound issue with 2160p still there, so I had to disable PIP.
Regards.
Chewie

el bandido
01-14-2018, 09:29 PM
- Fixes audio issues on 2160P / 60Hz on certain TVs

OpenVix and OpenATV images made on or after 1-12-2018 will have 1080p 60Hz capability. Right around, or shortly after Kodi was installed, 1080p 60Hz did not work in OE Alliance images. SatDreamGr images never had the 1080 60Hz issues that I know of.

It seems that people get enigma2 boxes and do not know what to do with them. They load every available update like it is something to be cherished, and they may try to load every image available. (I write this because I used to do it.)
The vast majority of enigma2 updates will do little or nothing for the fta user in North America. For a beginner with an enigma2 box, it is best to find an image that works well and then do not update it unless you know why you are updating it. Read the update logs, and ask someone if you do not understand what the update logs say is being updated.

I think OpenVix and SatDreamGr are good images for the SF4008, considering the condition it is in. There are obvious coding problems, and there will be more updates soon to bring back Kodi. OpenVix images are tested and vetted before they are released. OpenAtV nightly builds are not!

OpenVix will be running for a bit on my SF4008. Here are a couple of screencaps for an OpenVix image that I tested on a 1080p 60Hz television. This image is very easy to install on any 60Hz television. Look at the receiver display and follow the instructions displayed on it immediately after loading. The image first boots in 50Hz or multi, but you will be given the option to change that almost immediately after the image loads.

14630 14631

eastof111
01-15-2018, 02:21 AM
Since I don't own a SF4008, I can only comment on a logical conclusion.

After many days of reading the Octagon forums at Ricks, they seem to be having problems with certain images. But this also applies to some Euro forums having problems with said images too. Strange no one mentions trying the SDG image for the 4008. Could be they don't know that it exists, or they may have tried it and did not like the image due to esthetics. If they did try SDG and didn't like it, all they would have to do is change the skin. Hopefully problem solved.

el bandido
01-15-2018, 09:18 AM
It does not make much sense to for a dealer in North America to use a German based image in the SF4008 when other images are available. I guess they figure that is what came loaded in the box, and that is the image they are supposed to have?

It would make a great deal of sense for someone who is selling enigma2 in North America boxes to approach one of these enigma2 groups and get special support. This could easily be done, but no one is interested in support. They are only interested in selling the box, then claiming no responsibility or warranty for it because you updated the image or loaded some software into the box.

SatDreamGr has helped us with ATSC and other items. Their work is appreciated!

SatDreamGr is not a "full" image. Things like system time have to be added manually. SatDreamGr usually runs faster because it does not have every option in it. You are supposed to add what you need, and I think some are clueless about this.

OpenVix is considered to be a full image, with most available options pre-loaded in the image. OpenVix is easy to use, but the menus could confuse some at first.

OpenATV is a German image that is made for a wide variety of enigma2 machines. OpenATV is also a full image with most options pre-loaded. OpenATV also includes European satellites with thousands of channels and bouquets that are useless to us because we cannot get European satellites. Some OpenATV menus display a few German words even when the language is set to English.

ALL enigma2 images are great because they allow us to watch tv, and they may do some things a bit different. I appreciate the work of ALL enigma2 groups!

eastof111
01-15-2018, 02:51 PM
Would definitely be interesting to see the results if/would/should Rick request assistance from PLI or SDG regarding the SF4008.

I for one am very grateful to athoik at SDG for the assistance received for solving many glitches that have materialized in the past with enigma2. Problems solved within a few hours and the harder ones within days.

el bandido
01-15-2018, 03:59 PM
I think Rick is more interested in profit than getting proper support. Doubt anything changes in that area.

Octagon did not bother to get support from OpenPLi. I do not know the reason for this. Seems to reason if you have a great box, then you would want a wide range of support? Vu+ and several other manufacturers get support from OE Alliance and OpenPLI. Makes little sense that Octagon would not do the same.

The SF4008 is fast becoming famous for all the wrong reasons. Something good needs to happen soon...

eastof111
01-15-2018, 11:07 PM
"Octagon did not bother to get support from OpenPLi." Due to OpenATV plus egos.

el bandido
01-16-2018, 03:13 PM
I do not think egos or at least egos from OpenATV had anything to do with it. My contacts and dealings with OpenATV have been very positive, and they are a great bunch of people. My guess is Octagon decided OpenPLi support was not needed, so they did nothing to get it.

SatDreamGr is always working on some project. Here is a link to the Software Defined Radio or SDR thread:

SatDreamGr has released improved images for all or most supported models, so it might be a good idea to flash their Experimental 01-15-2018 image. Remember to backup present image first.

Would be nice to see some sort of enigma2 project here. There are plenty of things that can be done in enigma2 if people want to do them.

eastof111
01-16-2018, 08:52 PM
I do recall quite a while back there was a thread closed on one of the forums due to egos. Hopefully, 2018 will be a better and more productive year. Still wondering why some owners haven't tried the SDG images.

chewie
01-16-2018, 09:43 PM
Hello Guys
I flash SDG 1/15/2018 on the Octagon and still has the no sound on 2160p, I disable the PIP function under video settings and reboot and it gets stuck on booting, I did not had this issue on the previous update, I am telling you I am getting tired of this receiver.
Well hopefully there is new receivers coming out compatible to this one like the VU+ ZERO 4K.
Regards.
Chewie

el bandido
01-16-2018, 11:39 PM
I think the SF4008 is mortally wounded now. This box seems to have more problems now than when I first got it. I suggest to wait a little bit before you try to replace it because there is nothing out there right now that does what we want.

As for the SatDreamGr booting issue:
Yes, I had a similar issue during installation, but none after that. I think some of our image flashing files have been changed or altered by Octagon, and it is causing problems.

All of these booting issues, audio issues, and refresh rate issues are Octagon problems. We are getting very poor coding from Octagon. These issues are not the fault of any enigma2 image group. The enigma2 images are being built with drivers and other items that Octagon provides.

One ray of hope though:
I bet there is a whole stack of SF4008 receivers sitting in a warehouse somewhere. If this is true, then we may get a big feature added soon such as blindscan to help sell that stack of receivers. This is just a guess on my part, but we have seen similar things happen in other receiver brands before.

For us, the SF4008 would be a great receiver if some of these nuisance problems were fixed. It would be nice just to be able to operate the receiver without having to worry about audio or sound, refresh rate, or bootloop. I am beginning to wonder though if even this is too much to ask for...

el bandido
01-23-2018, 09:17 AM
Octagon says new drivers will be ready this week. It might be a good idea to wait a few days after they are released in order to see how they perform before loading them. (It is a good idea to backup the whole image before updating.)

A new, improved Octagon receiver is scheduled to be released sometime in March, 2018. It is only a short time to the release of this new receiver, and we can expect the majority of support from Octagon to be used on this new receiver once it is released to market.

el bandido
01-23-2018, 11:06 PM
The proper AC transformer plug or walwart for the SF4008 can be found in the link. This plug costs $3.69 shipped, and it shows how CHEAP vendors are NOT to include it with the receiver. After all, what do you expect for $284.00???

ftaal
01-25-2018, 09:10 AM
With all the problems from this thing is there anything out there bug free?

el bandido
01-25-2018, 10:42 PM
I think all fta receivers have bugs. Some just have more than others.

Yes, the SF4008 does have issues, but it also does some things really well too. Hopefully some of the SF4008 issues or bugs will get fixed.

eastof111
01-28-2018, 01:32 AM
I think even China is taking a sabbatical from producing knockoffs and/or cheap receivers until the stb market finds or reinvents itself.

el bandido
01-28-2018, 01:06 PM
I agree.
2017 was not a good year for fta receivers, and I do not see 2018 being any better.

el bandido
01-31-2018, 10:39 PM
From OCTAGON support:

we are waiting for ram issue improvement, there will be 2 driver versions for sf4008 in the future

- driver1: without kodi with more memory
- driver2: with kodi

Seems the plan now is to split the images into two groups? Probably the best thing they could do, considering most of the image issues started when Kodi was added.

eastof111
01-31-2018, 11:10 PM
Too bad it took them so long to get a plan of action initiated. Guess they really like Kodi. I was hoping they would be leaking specs for the SF 4018 by now.

el bandido
02-01-2018, 06:24 AM
The SF5008 specs from Octagon should be released between now and the end of March. There will not be a 4018 Octagon model that I know of.
Soon 1/6th of 2018 will be gone. Maybe the SF4008 will blindscan in 2019??? I am not interested in buying the next "Latest and Greatest FTA Receiver" from Octagon.
The SF4008 was supposed to be a FTA receiver complete with a very sensitive tuner that can lock very low symbol rates and blindscan. It does not do either right now, so why should I believe anything Octagon says about a new, improved product?

I would like a good, solid FTA receiver. I do not want a half-baked glorified media box that also happens to receive the FTA satellites.

el bandido
02-10-2018, 10:25 AM
Some Octagon customers are getting mad and their posts are being deleted in the Octagon forum. This is not good for anyone. Here are a couple of examples that have been translated.

Sorry
I think it will be nothing again
with new drivers. Let's see what
excuses exist again, (vacation in Asia)
had already.
Greeting digidalus

When I paid 265 € for this box with Tdt, I never thought that I would have the serious problem of the ram and many others. If it's not resolved, I'll seriously file a lawsuit for misleading advertising at the Octagon, and now we're not going to have the right to express ourselves freely, so the octagon continues to sell more of those boxes and cheat more people, the downside is that this goes through the forums and you do not sell the decoder, you have to give it away, because nobody wants it ...

Ujua , Gestern um 17:06 Uhr

...Not good at all for anyone that owns this box.

Overall, the SF4008 is not as bad as it seems. It does work, but it just does not do everything that it should. I think what has hurt Octagon more than anything is releasing the SF4008 and advertising it to death. They promised things they have not been able to deliver. When Kodi was added, some things quit working, and they have been plagued with driver problems or issues.

For someone that has never had enigma2 receiver, the Octagon probably looks very impressive. But some people that have owned enigma2 boxes for years are not happy at all.

Expect a new Octagon model to be released soon...Wonder how it will be advertised?

chewie
02-15-2018, 08:38 PM
Well, I am not buying from these guys anymore, I am seriously thinking on getting the VU+ ZERO 4K, there has been a lot of activity at the OpenATV forum with new drivers not many complaints and it has blindscanm already.
Regards.
Chewie

el bandido
02-15-2018, 09:18 PM
Not good when you start pushing the blame on someone else when your name is on the product. I do not see myself buying another Octagon either unless some major changes happen.

Look at this reply:
OCTAGON support , Samstag um 15:55 Uhr

undertaker

we only do what the developers promise us to do
Sounds like Octagon is tired of Octagon. They seem to have lost interest in support of the SF4008 and the SX88. They are releasing new models, SF5008 I think, and new, improved models of the SX88. I guess they have limited time now for their year old products.

Let us know how the new Vu+ works out if you get it.

el bandido
02-22-2018, 11:56 AM
Where Do We Go From Here?

Currently I would not recommend or suggest the purchase of the SF4009 to anyone in North America. At some point, this receiver may turn into something very usable for the North American Market, but right now the SF4008 is more or less just another enigma2 receiver without blindscan. The U.S seller of the SF4008 has not done anything to really support the SF4008 which is surprising since his profit margin on this receiver is very high (over 2 to one).

OpenPLi is making it easy to build images, and I have requested the SF4008 to be added to the list of receivers. Look in the link for more information on this.
OpenPLi is not outright supporting the SF4008, but it should be possible next week to build an image for it yourself.

I will start customizing the images I download for the SF4008 before they are loaded into the receiver, and plan to build the OpenPLi image once it is added to the list in the link above. The image file for the SF4008 is fairly easy to customize anyway because the main file system is in rootfs.tar.bz2 format. This main tar file can be extracted so you can modify or add lamedb, settings, and many other files. The extracted files can be easily returned to rootfs.tar.bz2 format, and then loaded into any SF4008 receiver. So it is very easy to customize the SF4008 image where others can use it.

I also encourage the Octagon Company and their coders to get off their collective asses and fix this receiver. The reputation of Octagon has been damaged. I do not think the current condition of the SF4008 represents the overall support of Octagon as a manufacturer, but many of the SF4008 owners will probably never buy another Octagon product unless something good happens in the coding of the SF4008 very soon.

MCelliotG
02-26-2018, 07:59 PM
Elbandido can you report something for me, can you see if the tuner shows real time values when it is set to read from tuner? I am trying to make a report for Mutant!

el bandido
02-26-2018, 08:08 PM
Sure!
What exactly do you need?
Describe what you want me to do.

MCelliotG
02-27-2018, 04:28 AM
Post two screencaps on OpenPLI of this screen
Info - Service - Blue button (Tuner state, tuner settings). I wanna see if the tuner state is updated, since Mutant shows only 10600 or 9750.

el bandido
02-27-2018, 01:55 PM

el bandido
02-27-2018, 08:34 PM
I found this post about a sf4008 booting issue:

Originally Posted by ki6bu
I think I found the issue, I did the above and now just got home from work. The receiver is still showing booting......
I pulled the thumbdrive out and looked at the files on it. From what I remember doesn't the bootloader or kernel or whatever its called in the receiver decompress the rootfs.tar.bz2 file
and create a rootfs folder with all its sub folders? Well there is no rootfs folder in either sf4008 or fullbackupsf4008.

chuckrcheese:
Hi,
I need to know what you did everything you put in it everything you tried and EVERY mod you did to the unit,
Octagon stated its NOT hardware its a Software issue
I recommended you not play with any files including the rootfs or even look at the files at all.

I have tried to recreate your error and cannot, deep standby

in every version of open8 from openeight-5.4-sf4008-20170420 to openeight-6.5-sf4008-20180226 and openatv openatv-5.3-sf4008-20170106 to openatv-6.1-sf4008-20180226 they all return to full operation with a simple reset of the rear power switch.
the box loads and works.

and YES I have every image.

Logging the loading / boot process and internal board is stating that the CRC hex value is not valid preventing the box from accepting anything from loading any software.
thereby bypassing the install of any old or new firmware and drivers.
also refusing to load the OS that's missing the loading linuxtv thus not booting.

at this point all I see is something not being said about what was loaded to the unit and cannot make it happen to another unit.
If you extracted the rootfs.tar.bz2 and then tried to recompress it then you played with fire and burned yourself.
I know who is spreading these FALSE statements and is on other sites asking for help and the repair files this will not happen and I nor Octagon will ever release them to anyone.
all information on this subject are known to Octagon Support and being closely watched.

anything you can add?

thsnks
CRC
The sf4008 has some booting issues, but there is no reason for a person to be talked to like this. The chuckrcheese person is both arrogant and stupid to write a reply such as this. He has no clue...

Is this the best Rick Caylor can do when there are receiver problems or issues? Little wonder people in North America have problems with enigma2 when they have replies such as this for support!

Remember: "all information on this subject are known to Octagon Support and being closely watched." LOL

eastof111
02-28-2018, 12:04 AM
I've been following the SF4008 thread since Rick received his initial inventory. Chucky's initial posts were informative and since then has graduated to be Rick's mentor regarding the SF4008. And yes, rather uncivil at tines. But, Rick does not seem to have anyone to turn to for support. Especially not Octagon.

el bandido
02-28-2018, 08:52 AM
There is no need to have an arrogant, idiotic, and blind person as your support. Professional Octagon sf4008 support is available from OpenATV or most of the other image groups. Rick can do what he wants. Just hate to see someone talked to like they are a dog.

Anyway, Time to move on...

MCelliotG
02-28-2018, 01:59 PM

Thanks I'll send you a PM since I have more questions!

el bandido
03-14-2018, 05:11 AM
Recently Octagon has released a new SX88+ and SX8 receiver models. This reminds me of some cheap Chinese companies where the solution to fix existing problems in receivers is to simply release a new model. The SX88+ fixes an audio codec in the SX88, and the SX8 is a very cheap fta receiver (under $50.00 U.S at retail).

No word from Octagon on fixing the SF4008, and the first quarter of 2018 is almost finished. My solution to get a DVB-S2x blindscan in the SF4008 was to purchase a new VU+ Zero 4K. I have completely given up hope that a DVB-S2 blindscan will ever be available for the SF4008, and will probably avoid purchasing any new Octagon products in the near future. My plan is to put the SF4008 in a storage closet once the Zero 4K arrives and forget about it unless something interesting happens.

chewie
03-14-2018, 06:23 AM
My Octagon SF4008 is no longer scanning any channels, to cable that comes from the dish has plenty signal, change the cable any ways but still the same problem a and b tuners are not detecting the signal, changed the image on the flash and the same problem, I took the cover off and did not noticed and thing fry on the PCB, Oh well not a big lost, it just gives room for a future receiver, My Zero is working very good no hick-ups.
You will like the zero.
Regards.
Chewie