PDA

View Full Version : OCTAGON SF8008 4K UHD E2

eastof111
07-27-2018, 02:39 PM
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Google translation:

OCTAGON SF8008 4K UHD E2

"OCTAGON SF8008 4K UHD E2 2160p H.265 HEVC E2 Linux Dual Wifi DVB-S2X & T2C Combo Receiver"

Octagon proudly presents the second 4K UHD Receiver SF8008. Equipped is the Octagon SF8008 with 2 tuner options. The tuners are equipped with the new standard DVB-S2x, DVB-C and DVB-T2 HD. In addition, the Octagon SF8008 USB 3.0 port,
Gigabit LAN interface and HEVC265 video decoding give you new perspectives to enjoy the full spectrum of the new 4K experience. Experience a new 4K feeling with the new Octagon SF8008.

The Octagon SF8008 4K UHD receiver offers you two permanently installed DVB-S2X Sat & DVB-C / T2 tuners and is characterized primarily by an enormous performance (15,000 DMIPS) and by lightning fast switching times

Modern entertainment & numerous features

Octagon SF8008 4K UHD supports numerous images, download additional plugins, HDR, HLG and H.265 decoding.
Gigabit LAN with 1000Mbps ensures fast connection of your high-resolution content, in addition there are two WLAN antennas, a permanently installed WIFI module available.
The Octagon SF8008 4K, with its USB 3.0, USB 2.0 and MicroSD slots and card reader, provides ample opportunities to play content from external storage media to further enhance the entertainment experience.
The Octagon SF8008 also features HDMI 2.0, AV (Audio & Video) and S / PDIF output for digital audio, and consumes less than 0.5Watt in standby.

Metal case & solid workmanship

Key Features:
- Hisilicon Hi3798MV200 Huawei
- Quad Core 64Bit (4x 1.6GHz) 15000 DMIPS
- Flash 8GB eMMC
- RAM 1GB DDR4
- Gigabit LAN Ethernet (1000Mbps)
- WiFi built in, 300Mbit, 2x WiFi antennas
- 4-digit 7-segment display
- Card reader
- DVB-S2X & DVB-C / T2 combo (2x tuner)
- HDMI 2.0a & USB 3.0
- MicroSD slot

Characteristics:
- Enigma2 Linux OS operating system
- DVB-S2X 4K UHD & Multistream
- PIP HD & UHD (picture in picture)
- HDR 10bit & HLG
- blindscan (blind search)
- Kodi
- HbbTV
- Stalker
- ffmpeq HW Playback Support
- 2160P Media Playback H.264 and H.265 HEVC
- OTA updates
- PVR recordings (* optional)
- 0.5W stand-by

Front:
- Power button on / off button
- 4-digit 7-segment display
- LED display (red / blue)
- IR sensor (infrared receiver)

Back:
- H.265 HEVC 4K UHD DVB-S2X tuner LNB input
- H.265 HEVC HD DVB-C / T2 tuner input
- Dolby S-PDIF
- AV - Audio Video Jack - Jack to RCA
- RS-232 socket (maintenance & service)
- WiFi 2x WiFi antennas
- HDMI 2.0a output
- USB 2.0 port
- Network Gigabit LAN (1000Mbps)
- MicroSD slot
- Recovery (Reset) button
- DC-12V power supply
- Power switch on / off

Page (right):
- USB 3.0 port
- Card reader (CA CARD)

Delivery:
- Receiver OCTAGON SF8008
- Remote Control
- 2 x batteries
- Operating instructions (German & English)
- HDMI cable
- power supply (power supply)

Tuner & demodulator:
- DVB-S2X: Silabs Si2166-D60 & RDA5815m
- DVB-C / T2: Altobeam ATBM7821

Others:
- Dimensions (LxDxH) 220mm x 125mm x 40mm
- EAN barcode 4260189994453
- Power supply (power supply) DC12V-2A
- VPE 20 pieces - RRP 119.90 Euro

Available from the beginning of September!
Press
Dimensions
Dimensions (LxTxH) 220mm x 125mm x 40mm
mass
connections
HDMI
USB
S / PDIF
network
External IR sensor
power supply
current consumption
standby
system
Flash
R.A.M
CPU
price
RRP 119,90 €
VE 20 piece
EAN barcode 4260189994453

el bandido
07-28-2018, 05:30 AM
Not for me!
Octagon made a mess out of the SF4008, so I will not be buying this new SF8008 receiver. New receivers from other manufacturers will be on the market in the next few months. I will wait and see what else is being offered. Best of luck to anyone purchasing an Octagon product.

eastof111
07-28-2018, 05:21 PM

Seems Octagon is more intent on promoting Kodi rather than fta essentials.

I still need a good four tuner 4k receiver. So, this one is off my list.

el bandido
07-28-2018, 07:52 PM
The Octagon SF4008 just had to have Kodi. That is all you heard from Octagon for months was Kodi. When they finally did install Kodi, it wrecked the audio and caused other problems. Then they started releasing drivers that caused an entirely new set of problems including boot-looped boxes. So they quit trying to fix anything, but kept claiming they would fix the problems and add blindscan. There has not been a meaningful update from Octagon in a year. Octagon is good about making videos and and fancy advertisements. They are useless for anything else. Maybe the new 8008 will be different, but I have lost all faith in Octagon as a company. Octagon does not need any more of my monies.

eastof111
07-29-2018, 01:35 AM
Seems Octagon is trying to impress their base that Kodi is a relevant item. But it is not. Anyone can get a majority of the free stuff provided by Kodi addons by using E2 plugins which use less stb resources and create less conflicts. Plus, even the Kodi addon sites usually post:

"WARNING: Before You Continue…
Even without your explicit consent, your ISP (Internet Service Provider) is collecting and filtering your Web browser data. This means that using Kodi to stream copyrighted content might get you into legal trouble. Also, your ISP might block access to specific streams, which leads to Kodi errors, or entirely blocked and throttled streaming. This is why users of Kodi should always use a VPN to make sure their identity and privacy are protected while streaming".

I don't know if Kodi is more prevalent in Euro land than the U.S., but eventually the la la land execs will get greedy and start cracking down on infringement; there will be a price to pay. Similar to when Dish started suing people for infringement. We all know how sue happy the U.S. is, much more so compared to other countries. Why keep releasing this program to the general public? Doesn't make sense. Maybe the manufacturer wants to push and see how far it can go before shtf. I guess in their wisdom, Octagon just wants to offer a universal plug and play receiver which will offer free stuff to the "free stuff challenged", hoping it will be a sales success.

Remember, some one has to maintain the addons, once the links are no longer available or not updated, the free stuff will no longer be plug and play and disappear.

eastof111
09-12-2018, 02:55 AM
15148]

From Rick's, should be interesting....

el bandido
09-12-2018, 07:57 PM
I hope it is interesting for someone, but it will not be for me! The SF8008 has a new chipset again, no OpenPLi support, plus a DVB-T tuner that is useless for North America. No options are available for the SF8008 to get the receiver with two satellite tuners or without the DVB-T tuner. Maybe it will work out for someone? I want a receiver with at least two good satellite tuners this time. The last creation from Octagon had two satellite tuners, but only one worked correctly or semi-correctly.

eastof111
09-12-2018, 10:33 PM
Should be interesting how this unit is promoted.

This summer I was tempted to buy the Giga 4k, four tuner receiver after reading TWOLs post claiming that blind scan worked on that receiver. But then Huevos posted his belief that it did not work and requested proof. TWOL never provided any further response. To date, I have not found any other info on the blind scan capabilities of that receiver.

So, I am still looking for a 4 tuner, 4k receiver that blind scans or at least a close semblance.

el bandido
09-23-2018, 10:00 AM
Looks like no SF8008 support from SatDreamGr.

No plans, no offer from manufacturer.

UClan Ustym 4K Pro is very similar to the SF8008, and it would be better supported. I do not think this receiver is available at retail yet, but I do like the advertised OpenATV (OE Alliance), and OpenPLi support.

MCelliotG
09-23-2018, 11:20 AM
Octagon should act reasonably and provide their BSP officially for all teams. Once they decide to exclusively be supported by OE-alliance, OpenPLI has no intention to support their brand, although technically it's possible.

eastof111
09-23-2018, 08:26 PM
The Chinese clone looks nice, but I sure hope their cloning skills are better than presenting their address as "Adress: 7rd Floor".

el bandido
09-23-2018, 09:10 PM
They all probably come from the same factory and even the same assembly line in China, so I doubt they are clones. Denys uClan was or is better supported than the Octagon SX88, and the uClan Ustym is supposed to be better supported than the SF8008. The Ustym will not be available until November so the SF8008 will have time to prove itself. I have seen the SF8008 selling for around $100.00 U.S. before shipping, so this receiver package and variants will probably be available in several different makes and models in a few months if it becomes popular and works as advertised. We will see...

el bandido
09-29-2018, 08:49 PM
The SF8008 and the uClan Ustym have a slightly customized blindscan. I assume the box manufacturer did this because it is in more than one model. Anyway, this blindscan can be used on almost any enigma2 receiver that supports blindscan.

chewie
09-29-2018, 10:58 PM
Is this the blind scan for the octagon?

el bandido
09-30-2018, 12:41 AM
Yes. For the new Octagon SF8008 AND other models.

chewie
09-30-2018, 03:15 PM
Thanks EB, the price looks pretty good, I hope uClan Ustym is around the same price and of course is better supported, I rather buy something else and not Octagon.
Let us know what you hear.
Regards.
Chewie

el bandido
09-30-2018, 05:04 PM
The Ustym should be available sometime in November 2018. We will see...I do not see myself paying any money for the SF8008.

The SF8008 is a problem for Rick Caylor due to its price (see link above). The SF4008 could be bought in bulk for around $70.00 U.S. per unit. He is currently selling them for $284.00 U.S. which should yield him a decent profit of at least $150.00 per box sold.

The SF8008 is selling at retail for around $100.00 U.S. in Europe without shipping. Bulk price would of course be considerably cheaper. Rick may sell the SF8008 receiver, but it will cut his profit on the SF4008 because he will have a hard time selling them alongside the SF8008. Who wants the SF4008 when the SF8008 has blindscan and no 4K audio problem? Will be interesting to see what he does about this dilemma.

My guess is had Rick not been so greedy with the SF4008 price, he could have sold more of them and had little or no SF4008 stock at this time. Sometimes you make more money by selling for less.

chewie
10-01-2018, 12:49 PM
hello EB
I found this address where someone purchased the Ustym receiver , the price that I saw was 45.10 dollars, is in the Ukraine, I hope is the same receiver.
Regards.
Chewie

el bandido
10-01-2018, 03:46 PM
The Ustym is not at retail yet. uClan has been contacted. We will see what they do in around 4 weeks. Other new receivers will be on the market soon, or at least they are supposed to be. We will see...

el bandido
10-01-2018, 07:06 PM
Can't wait to see his high price for the SF8008.

Hi All,

We have ordered some of the new SF8008 Octagon Receivers and will have more details about them soon, including price and expected arrival time. Still a couple weeks away before we have them in stock.

A You Tube video is here showing the Blind Scan working: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Will add information here and at [Only registered and activated users can see links] as it becomes available.

Thanks,

Rick

ViP3R
10-02-2018, 10:30 AM
Can't wait to see his high price for the SF8008.

No seems to interested so far, 84 views and o comments.

el bandido
10-03-2018, 07:48 AM
Maybe they are waiting for Chuckrcheese to release the SF4008 blindscan he claims to have? LOL

Anyone wanting to buy the SF8008 should read the long thread about it at the OpenATV site. Use a translator if needed, but read it & read ALL of it!

There are problems with the SF8008 because it is a new chipset in enigma2. Right now, all they are showing you is what they want you to see, which makes sense if you are on the sales end, but can be very frustrating if you are the consumer who pays the money for it.

el bandido
10-03-2018, 04:55 PM
Looks like the engineers are on vacation again. Same story we heard with the SF4008.

we will check soon, may can fix next week, because engineers in national holiday now.

Issue is being looked at, only problem engineers are on national holiday to fix the issue.

Octagon does not seem to understand what customer support is. As an example, we asked for a rs232 recovery for the SX88. This should have been easy to do - especially since Denys uClan already had usb and rs232 recoveries. It took Octagon quite a bit of time, but they finally released a usb recovery for the SX88, and said that we did not need the rs232 recovery. We did not ask them what we needed. Instead, we told them what we wanted and they agreed to it. But then they never released what they agreed to, releasing something else instead.

I think the SF8008 will be better supported than the SF4008, but not by much. I do not think Octagon has learned anything about how to treat the customer. I will try the uClan Ustym if I get one these types of receivers.

chewie
10-03-2018, 06:10 PM
Hello EB
I wonder if the uClan Ustym would have the same issues like the Octagon, I contacted the company or someone that works for them and they claim they will ship to the states, they said this receiver is going to be available at the end of this month, I thing I will order one from them I need a GOOD xmas present.
Regards
Chewie

el bandido
10-03-2018, 07:16 PM
There are factories in China that can manufacture several thousand fta receivers in a short period of time. These receivers are made slightly different, and are given different names such as Octagon and Zgemma, but they are basically the same on the inside. These factories may also provide you with a "coder" or "engineer" for little or no money, depending on how many pieces you buy.

Overall, uClan seems to have better customer support than Octagon. The problems that are in the Octagon SF8008 will most likely also be in the uClan Ustym, but I suspect the Ustym will be better supported. We have already tried Octagon which turned out as a disappointment for most of us. The uClan Ustym has not been released yet, but we can expect them to work on the same problems Octagon SF8008 is having now, so if these problems are fixable, then they will probably be already fixed when the Ustym is released. In other words, the Ustym has about 1 month extra to make improvements before their version of the receiver is actually at retail.

There should also be some other new receivers on the market besides the SF8008 and the Ustym before 2018 is finished. Remember, whatever is seen or shown for blindscan in Europe is about the same as us blindscanning 97 West ku band: The results will always look good!
I have yet to see a good blindscan test for the SF8008, and I expect there are blindscan problems that we have not seen yet. Some people in North America have already ordered the SF8008. and maybe they will post credible information about the receivers performance. I think the Ustym will be as good if not better than the SF8008. We will see...

chewie
10-12-2018, 07:57 PM
someone at ricks received the Octagon SF8008 and they claim the blind scan works, but they can not install the internal hard drive, I thought you can only use a external Hard drive for this receiver.

el bandido
10-12-2018, 08:38 PM
No internal hard drive.
Blindscan works. But how well it works is unknown.
The SF8008 is a new receiver using a chipset that is fairly new to enigma2. There will be problems and issues because of this. How well these problems and issues will be fixed or solved in the SF8008 remains to be seen. Octagon support to date has been poor. You cannot believe anything Octagon says.

Megatron817
10-21-2018, 05:37 AM
I see open pli is working on the Mutant HD60.
Didn't find any for sale or price but found some specs.
May be another alternative to Octagon sf8008.

HD60 4K DVB-S2X Quadcore 1.6Ghz with Transcoding H.265

ARM Cortex A53 (ARMv7)

Quadcore 15K DMIPS (4x 1.6Ghz)

DDR4-1GB

8GB eMMC Flash

Transcoding (H.264 or H.265)

Picture in Picture ( 4K )

HDMI 2.0a

High Dynamic Range ( HDR/HDR10 )

AV Plug ( CVBS/ R-L Audio )

IR Extender ( InfraRed Remote Eye )

USB 3.0

USB 2.0

SD-cardreader ( Flash Extender)

10/100Mbit Ethernet

7segment 4digit Display

DVB-S2x tuner with fast Hardware Blindscan

Linux OS

Advanced Hiplayer for Kodi and Enigma2

QT Stalker, Ministra, HbbTV

Multiboot

USB boot (restore in every situation the box by USB) OpenGL ES 2.0/1.1 GPU Mali 450

el bandido
10-21-2018, 07:43 AM
Would be a great receiver to try IF it existed. The HD60 has been talked about since February of 2018.
The specs are listed wrong too. Common to see that in FTA gear.

HD60 4K DVB-S2X Quadcore 1.6Ghz with Transcoding H.265

ARM Cortex A53 (ARMv7)

Quadcore 15K DMIPS (4x 1.6Ghz)

DDR4-1GB

8GB eMMC Flash

ARM Cortex does not require eMMC Flash

el bandido
11-02-2018, 11:36 PM
Smoke & Mirrors again.
So they opened up the blindscan plugin and set the low Symbol rate to zero and the high Symbol rate to 60,000? What is this supposed to do besides make Eye Candy?
Last time I looked, Silabs FTA tuner only goes to 45, 000 max. Maybe....Just Maybe you might get the blindscan to look for transponders with a symbol rate below 500. But you would expect that the blindscan bin file would need to be modded for these changes, right?

Well....The blindscan binary has not changed since August. Lol

Funny things those Octagon dudes do. No wonder Rick likes them so well.

eastof111
11-04-2018, 01:18 AM
The blind leading the blind.......

Free speech matters....

Megatron817
11-04-2018, 06:57 AM
Looks Like the reviewer was a zgemma user first so I think he bought the Octagon sf8008 for the blind scan.
He's still not quite happy with Octagon for other cons.

el bandido
11-04-2018, 09:56 AM
Free Speech matters a lot!
Rick has been selling enigma2 fta receivers for years, but no one at his website seems to understand the use of the enigma2 operating system. Even simple questions cannot be answered. Easy to see Rick is only interested in the profit margin and not the receiver support.

Either the SF8008 is a poor scanner or those guys have poor antenna systems.

As for the 0 to 60,000 synbol rate, Someone probably used dvbsnoop to check the tuner. Just because dvbsnoop lists something does not mean that it is active in the blindscan bin file.

Frontend-type: QPSK (DVB-S)
Frequency (min): 950.000 MHz
Frequency (max): 2150.000 MHz
Frequency stepsiz: 1.000 MHz
Frequency tolerance: 5.000 MHz
Symbol rate (min): 0.000000 MSym/s
Symbol rate (max): 60.000000 MSym/s
Symbol rate tolerance: 0 ppm

el bandido
11-14-2018, 06:56 PM
Rick needs to quit playing footsies with Octagon else someone named Titanium might take his customers away.

Update on our order for the SF8008's. Shipment got returned to Octagon in Germany, as the export documents were not correct.

They re-shipped our order on 11/08, so we are still a week or so away from getting them. Again, depending on customs.

It is frustrating, but just have to deal with it. Sorry for the delay folks.

Thanks,

Rick

Octagon is a great company to deal with, especially when it comes to filling out the proper paperwork.

Megatron817
11-23-2018, 09:31 PM
Mutant HD60 4K SET TOP BOX IS COMING ... !!!
30 JANUARY 2019 IS STOCKING
Showing 169,49 EUR
Not very inexpensive for a low buget box.

el bandido
11-23-2018, 11:06 PM
Might want to look at the date in the link (July 2018).

Megatron817
11-24-2018, 07:25 AM
found another site showing way cheaper price and different date

109.00 €

including 19% VAT.
free shipping within DE,
plus shipping abroad
Available from: 30.11.2018

el bandido
11-24-2018, 09:28 AM
That site does not ship to North America. Wait a bit and that box will be listed somewhere else.

Megatron817
11-24-2018, 09:41 AM
That site does not ship to North America. Wait a bit and that box will be listed somewhere else.
I would not buy until the support images are ready and after seeing some reviews from over the pond.lol

Megatron817
11-24-2018, 10:04 AM
Looks like openpli has an image ready for the Mutant HD60 rc7.0 Just want to wait and see some reviews.

el bandido
11-26-2018, 11:46 AM
Rick Caylor now has the Sf8008 in Stock. This person loves to bash cheap fta receivers on Ebay and claims they do not go through customs. Yet he is doing the same thing he accuses others of doing! These SF8008 receivers have not been certified for sale in the United States. UL would never certify them because you have to use an adapter for the AC plug. Rick either needs to do things right, or he needs to quit bashing other sellers. Small quantities of fta receivers are not regulated. Any import costing $2500 or more pretty much requires a Broker, and is subject to more regulations.

There are only a few units left over from the pre-order list for this first order.

You can see the unit on my website here: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

We are selling them for $139.00 plus $15.00 shipping within the 48 Cont. United States.

USPS Priority Mail Shipping to Canada is Approx. $42.70 USD, but please send exact address to verify if interested and if you want to order, I can send an Invoice / e-mail from the Paypal system that will have a secure payment link to where you can pay by either Paypal or CC.

One note... These units come with a Euro Plug on the Power Supply. So we will include a US adapter. We are looking into getting some US Plug Power Supplies for them, but that will increase the cost by around 10.00 to 15.00 if we do this. This is what we did for the SX88 Octagon units, as I personally prefer not to use the plug adapters, but we do's what we got's to do.

He wants to raise the price to do it right. LoL... Power supplies cost a couple of dollars. Not 10 or 15 dollars.

chewie
11-27-2018, 09:32 AM
I was just informed that the Ustym 4K PRO is up for sale now and the price is 130.00 dollars delivered, now I just wonder which receiver would be the best to buy between this one and the Edision Mio 4K.
Regards.
Chewie

ftaal
11-27-2018, 10:07 AM
Rick Caylor now has the Sf8008 in Stock. This person loves to bash cheap fta receivers on Ebay and claims they do not go through customs. Yet he is doing the same thing he accuses others of doing! These SF8008 receivers have not been certified for sale in the United States. UL would never certify them because you have to use an adapter for the AC plug. Rick either needs to do things right, or he needs to quit bashing other sellers. Small quantities of fta receivers are not regulated. Any import costing $2500 or more pretty much requires a Broker, and is subject to more regulations.

He wants to raise the price to do it right. LoL... Power supplies cost a couple of dollars. Not 10 or 15 dollars.

Ricks looking to sucker punch his followers again.

el bandido
11-27-2018, 12:11 PM
No one has the uClan Ustym or the Edision Mio, so it would be hard to say which is better. Those that have tested the SF8008 against the Edision Nino Pro say the Nino Pro has a noticeable advantage in blindscan. That is the only information we have.

I don't think Rick is trying to sucker punch anyone, but he is doing exactly the same thing the cheap Ebay sellers are doing. Overall, his price of the SF4008 is not too bad unless he raises it. Rick does not support or understand the enigma2 community, and I doubt that changes. OpenATV is a great German image, but it is not designed really for use in North America. None of the feature development such as blindscan, ATSC, or Software Defined Radio is done in the OpenATV image group. If you are only concerned about money, then the enigma2 image you give your customers does not matter.

el bandido
11-30-2018, 06:57 PM
OCTAGON SF8008 4K UHD E2 DVB-S2X Single ( From Middle December)
[Only registered and activated users can see links](-From-Middle-December)

A single tuner version of the SF8008 should be available in a few weeks. This receiver looks to be about $30.00 cheaper in U.S. dollars, and would be a better choice for North America.

chewie
11-30-2018, 08:40 PM
I saw that and they claim they have a 2 DVB-S2X tuner coming out in Feb 2019, I ask uClan if they also have a single tuner, we'll see what they say, I just don't trust Octagon any more I rather buy something else.

el bandido
11-30-2018, 10:22 PM
The problems I experienced with the Octagon SF4008 will have a lasting effect! I am not interested in getting anything else from them, especially when others have the same product!

Two Good DVB-S2X tuners that have a decent or exceptional blindscan is what I want. Also an internal hard drive is needed. It will probably be at least the middle of 2019 before I find such a receiver.

el bandido
12-06-2018, 12:30 AM
Octagon is spamming World of Satellites and some other forums with this:

In the December issue, the satellite magazine Digital TV has put the Octagon SF8008 through its paces extensively. The test result "very good" confirms the commercial success of the second UHD / 4K receiver from Octagon. What the combo receiver scored in the test and with which features he was able to convince the editors in detail, you will learn in this blog article.

Octagon SF8008 was very good in the test

In the December issue, the satellite magazine Digital TV has put the Octagon SF8008 through its paces extensively. The test result "very good" confirms the commercial success of the second UHD / 4K receiver from Octagon. What the combo receiver scored in the test and with which features he was able to convince the editors in detail, you will learn in this blog article.

At the end of September 2018 , Octagon launched its second 4K / UHD receiver , the SF8008 combo receiver . The editors of the trade magazine Digital TV have looked at the SF8008 closely and awarded the test result "very good". The test evaluated, among other things:

equipment
commissioning
the regular operation
the built-in tuners
multimedia features

Octagon SF8008 - More waysawers, because successors

"In general, the new SF8008 has nothing in common with its supposed predecessor," says digital television, evaluating the first impression and the built-in technology of the second Octagon 4K receiver. The fact that the SF8008 is fundamentally different from the Octagon SF4008 is already evident when looking at the installed hardware. The Octagon SF8008 features a new Huawei Hi3798MV200 Hisilicon processor and twice the amount of flash memory at 8 gigabytes. Furthermore put 1 gigabyte of DDR4 RAM under the hood. As a combo receiver, the SF8008 has a DVB-S2X capable Si2166D tuner and an Altobeam ATBM7821 tuner for receiving via DVB-C and DVB-T2.

Another special feature in terms of interfaces according to digital television are the two retractable WLAN antennas. These round off the connection diversity of the Octagon SF8008 with the HDMI connection, the MicroSD card reader, the two USB ports (USB 2.0 & USB 3.0), the CA slot, the jack connection and the S / PDIF output.

Popular Linux operating system and uncomplicated commissioning

By default, the extremely popular and adaptive Linux E2 OpenATV image is preinstalled. This allows the range of functions to be constantly expanded, optimized and supplemented. Thus, in addition to the "numerous multimedia functions", which are available from the factory, also install eg Kodi, Stalker and many more plugins.

A compulsion to use the OpenATV image, but not: "Of course the user also has the option to use additional images, such as the Openeight image, in the SF8008." In the test, the OpenATV image nevertheless convinced the specialist editors of digital television. So the initial setup was as usual quickly gone by the hand and the WLAN integration was uncomplicated in the initial setup.

The 4K / UHD receiver in regular operation

As the test progressed, the digital television editors reviewed how the Octagon SF8008 can handle classic positions. For this an ideally for the German speaking area furnished transmitter list was used. The switching had been realized quickly thanks to the Huawei's Hisilicon processor and the EPG had been useful in various views. In addition, recordings can also be programmed via the USB 3.0 or the USB 2.0 port, of course, an external storage medium is required.

What do the tuners of the combo receiver do?

The focus has put digital television in the test on the connection with rotating equipment and the reception of exotic satellite signals (DXen). So in the first step, the operation was tested with a DiSEqC 1.2 USALS turntable and a satellite dish : "the 120 cm antenna on it leaves a lot of room in the test."

After the handling of the Octagon SF8008 with a DiSEqC turning system turned out to be completely regular and the operation with a V-Box had been unproblematic, the editors tightened the test conditions in the second step and took a close look at the handling of non-everyday signals. For this purpose, first the DVB-S2X reception was tested at 33 degrees East: "This prepares the Octagon receiver no problems", as the editors noted. With the multi-stream reception at 5 degrees West, the Octagon SF8008 handled the situation very well - he was able to track down all packages right away. Regarding handling small symbol rates between 940 and 285 megasymbols, the SF8008 still needs to be improved - which Octagon will certainly not let up with one of the next updates.

Hardwareblindscan - Which transponder does the Octagon SF8008 detect?

The Octagon SF8008 is one of the few DVB-S2X receivers that have a hardware blindscan. In the test, the editorial board has selected the highest sensitivity, filtered out adjacent satellites and subsequently started the blind scan of the Octagon SF8008 on Türksat 42 degrees East. "In just two minutes, the box detects 76 transponders on the position", so the result of the test. The user can then decide for himself which transponder he wants to scan for transmitters - in the test of digital television, these were 654 channels.

With this high number of transmitters, the scan of the Octagon SF8008 is significantly better than that of competing models such as the Axas HIS 4K or the Edision OS nino pro . In order to substantiate the result, another test was carried out on position 3 degrees East. Basically, the Octagon SF8008 transponder with more than 2000 megasymbols is very reliable and the result in detecting those with 1000 - 1999 mega symbols is satisfactory.

Conclusion and test result

Digital TV has awarded the Octagon SF8008 a grade of "very good". High scores reached the 4K combo receiver especially in the criteria of installation, operation, display and decoding. Basically, the test has thus underpinned the success of the second Octagon 4K / UHD receiver. The manufacturer takes advantage of the success, rather than resting on its laurels, and has now released a variation of the Octagon SF8008 with a DVB-S2X tuner and at a lower price - the Octagon SF8008 single satellite receiver .

eastof111
12-06-2018, 01:49 AM
Huawei's CFO was arrested in Canada Dec 1st, on behalf of the U.S., so Meng could be extradited to “face unspecified charges” in the Eastern District of New York. Huawei is the supplier of the Hisilicon processor.

Maybe for future reference Rick should recheck his import customs docs to be sure they are properly filled out.
LOL....

el bandido
12-11-2018, 02:38 PM
It looks like some sf8008 owners thought ATSC would magically appear and work in the OpenATV image? They have no clue. It will have to be added...

Apparently, Rick could care less and will let someone else worry about it.

Hi Arion,

I think Bogie is referring to setting up an external USB OTA ATSC Tuner. Bogie is very creative! I am sure he will check back in and let us know.

Thanks,

Rick
_________

What benefit is there from buying a fta receiver from Rick Caylor? It looks like we are better off buying directly from Europe.

eastof111
12-11-2018, 04:12 PM
As the old saying goes.... it takes a village to solve the problem... LOL

If the hard core members there would post their sf8008 problems in some other forums, i.e., PLI, SDG, ATV, etc., they might get their problems resolved much quicker.

The only advantage I see ordering from Rick, is that he will stand by his sale should something go south with the product. This to me is more advantageous even if I do have to pay a higher price. This eliminates having to deal with emails or phone calls and shipping over the pond.

Plus, with Rick ordering products in bulk from across the pond, will at least attract some attention with the suppliers rather then individual N.A. purchases. I hope.

el bandido
12-11-2018, 04:59 PM
The hard core or any other member would not really need to post on another forum if proper support was being provided. Most other forums do not understand the issues in North America to begin with, and the people that are doing the posting really have no idea how to explain things so they can be easily understood on other forums.

It would be nice to order products here in North America, but I see little if any reason or incentive to do so. Electronic equipment like fta receivers does not have a high failure rate. I have yet to receive one receiver that was ordered from outside the United States that did not work on arrival. None have been Dead On Arrival, and I have been ordering fta receivers from outside the United States for at least 7 years now.

Enigma2 receiver support is not hard to provide, unless you are only interested in making money..

eastof111
12-12-2018, 02:09 PM
"The hard core or any other member would not really need to post on another forum if proper support was being provided." Don't really see that happening with Rick's site or any other local forum currently.

"Electronic equipment like fta receivers does not have a high failure rate." Unless you buy inexpensive units which are prone to raise the odds of failure.

In regards to failed receivers... Recently ordered a receiver via ebay that advertised as shipping from LAX. Over two weeks later I received the unit and and figured the delay was due to the holidays. I was quite surprised to see a return shipping label with a China address. So much for advertising honesty.

Played with the unit for about a week and then it failed to boot. Tried original vendor forum plus googling for answers with no results.

Emailed seller and requested new unit or a refund. Received suggestions to try new cables, unplug/replug, change batteries in r/c, replace p/s, etc. Including some suggestions which were ridiculous.

After more emails, got fed up and called Amex and explained the situation and they credited my account on the spot. A week later both ebay and paypal finally emailed indicating case was closed.

At this point I would still buy a receiver if it is available at a known U.S. vendor. Doing this hopefully shows to the overseas supplier that there is an fta market in the U.S. I prefer to keep the bucks here rather than reward someone else that I do not know regarding returns. The fta U.S. market is stagnant at this point, but at least the current U.S. vendors are still in business.

Sending suggestions of what you think would help sell to your U.S. vendor might assist them in staying in business a while longer and maybe improve the fta scene. If they are determined to continue business as usual, they deserve to go belly up and we all lose.

Megatron817
12-12-2018, 02:28 PM
There is alot of ebay sellers that don't really even have the product. After you order from them they order it and have it sent to you. I got stuff that was ordered on ebay and shipped from amazon before. I don't like resellers half the time I order it then they can't get it so they just issue a refund saying after you ordered we sold out but yet when the order was placed it showed plenty available.

ViP3R
12-12-2018, 03:55 PM
There is alot of ebay sellers that don't really even have the product. After you order from them they order it and have it sent to you. I got stuff that was ordered on ebay and shipped from amazon before. I don't like resellers half the time I order it then they can't get it so they just issue a refund saying after you ordered we sold out but yet when the order was placed it showed plenty available.

Not only that, they lie about location..I needed a tool for my car and ordered from ebay since they said item was in Calgary where I live, so I figured..great I'll get it in a couple of days at most.
NOT.........It came from China 5 weeks later..lmfao

el bandido
12-12-2018, 06:26 PM
It is not a good idea to buy fta receivers or any other electronic devices from Ebay because it is often used as a dump for rejects. So I am not really surprised to hear a fta receiver purchased from Ebay failed to work.

I have spent a lot of time getting features to work correctly on enigma2 receivers in North America. My contributions on the hard stuff such as adding usb devices has been limited to debugging. I find it disgusting that someone wants to make money from the sale of enigma2 receivers, but is too damn lazy to do any work to make the product perform on our terrestrial services.

eastof111
12-12-2018, 11:08 PM
"too damn lazy to do any work to make the product perform on our terrestrial services."

Could be he just has a myopic view of receivers and only sees fta or $$$, but at least for now he has dipped his toe in E2 waters. More so than other dealers.

el bandido
12-13-2018, 02:53 PM
You could actually buy a SF8008 from Rick. I am sure he would appreciate the monetary support. I do not see the SF8008 as being a bad receiver, but it does have a different architect for the chipset. So it may take some time and Effort to get things working correctly.

eastof111
12-13-2018, 03:21 PM
"You could actually buy a SF8008 from Rick".... and use it for a door stop?

Still need four tuners like the Duo2.

A = bud B = open C = fixed ku dishes D = motorized ku dish.

Thinking of adding another motorized dish to B since I don't have room for another bud.

el bandido
12-16-2018, 06:16 PM
More of the blind leading the blind. Where do these guys get their setup information from? Maybe ask Huevos since he wrote the code for the blindscan plugin?

Here is what user Defined Settings for a 10750 lnb should look like:
LOF/L = 10750
LOF/H =10750
Treshold = 10750
22KHz tone = OFF

Other settings may work, but the person who wrote the code says what is listed above should be used.

Megatron817
12-16-2018, 08:05 PM
More of the blind leading the blind. Where do these guys get their setup information from? Maybe ask Huevos since he wrote the code for the blindscan plugin?

LOF/L = 10750
LOF/H =10750
Treshold = 10750
22KHz tone = OFF

Other settings may work, but the person who wrote the code says what is listed above should be used.

I'm not a member so I can't tell them to try the Satdreamgr-6 image for the sf8008. If the Octagon is anything like the vu+ zero 4k in my opinion Openpli and Satdreamgr has a faster blindscan and more stable picture than the OE images. I don't think any one here has an sf8008 to see the difference.

eastof111
12-16-2018, 09:30 PM
A few months back one of our current members posted some good advice regarding an Octagon receiver which he owned and his post initially went right over their heads. It seems that if you are not a well known member, your post will just remain a post.

Some members there have even used some of EB's suggestions and files and hardly anyone have acknowledged his existence or for that matter Legitfta.

eastof111
12-16-2018, 09:39 PM
"Where do these guys get their setup information from?"
Or, maybe log in to Legitfta.... LOL.

chewie
12-19-2018, 07:57 AM

LOF/L = 10750
LOF/H =10750
Treshold = 10750
22KHz tone = OFF

Hello EB
with these settings or when KU BAND is set to circular, do you get duplicate channels?

el bandido
12-19-2018, 10:03 AM
I do not think either setting should give duplicates. I do not have a 10750 lnb on the dish right now.

To be clear, the Cicrular lnb setting has a l.o. of 10750, but someone has been writing code for that lnb. So it is suggested not to use Circular setting and use this instead:

LOF/L = 10750
LOF/H =10750
Treshold = 10750
22KHz tone = OFF

There should not be any duplicates if those settings are used in a Healthy antenna system. Please let me know if you are having trouble with duplicate transponders.

chewie
12-20-2018, 09:05 PM
I do not think either setting should give duplicates. I do not have a 10750 lnb on the dish right now.

To be clear, the Cicrular lnb setting has a l.o. of 10750, but someone has been writing code for that lnb. So it is suggested not to use Circular setting and use this instead:

LOF/L = 10750
LOF/H =10750
Treshold = 10750
22KHz tone = OFF

There should not be any duplicates if those settings are used in a Healthy antenna system. Please let me know if you are having trouble with duplicate transponders.

Thanks EB, I get duplicates in every setting. I change my orthmode cables when I was setting my Zero 4k and most like is not set correct for the KU band, I had it right before, but I screw something up, I'll fix it.
Regards.
Chewie

el bandido
12-20-2018, 09:17 PM
Post your settings file located in etc/enigma2 if you cannot figure it out. Just remember the settings file will contain Facebook or other internet site passwords, so check it first before posting it!

el bandido
01-13-2019, 11:59 AM
It seems the SF8008 has some motorized dish issues in blindscan.

uclan and sf8008 update drivers

Blindscan issues:
- fixed diseqc1.1/1.2
- USALS control for blindscan
- add correct fec, inversion, system, modulation, rolloff, pilot for blindscan tp

Some Users in Europe are reporting blindscan motor control issues continue after this update, but I do not see anything about the SF8008 motor problem at Ricks. Go figure...

Octagon should quit using its customers as beta testers for drivers. Octagon should have learned this was not a good idea when they bootlooped the Sf4008 receivers with a driver update.

el bandido
01-15-2019, 08:00 PM
Fixed today.

Blindscan:
- diseqc 1.1 fix.
- c band circular & liniear fix.
- diseqc motor fix.
- switch correctly OK
- diseqc command fix.

Getestet mit OpenATV und OpenVix Images!

Image Datum sollte Neu sein.
octagon-blindscan per ftp zu /usr/bin/ kopieren, box neustarten.

el bandido
01-25-2019, 05:37 PM
AAC audio does not work in the SF8008 on some of the thousands of radio channels on 105 West, C band. Seems Octagon and the folks at Rick's are blaming enigma2 out of ignorance. Of course enigma2 could be the problem or the reason these channels will not play. But these channels play on the Edision MIO, so how can that be possible if enigma2 is the problem?

Funny to see the drama of getting a .TS file made for these AAC radio channels, especially when instructions to do that task have been posted here, and in the WOS thread in the link. Wonder why Octagon cannot produce a German station to test as mentioned in the WOS thread???

We already know Octagon likes to blame others when there are problems, so having them say enigma 2 is the problem really does not surprise me. Seems at least Octagon could do what is needed to get OpenPLi support.?

For the record, I have no idea why these AAC radio channels will play on a few enigma2 receivers, but not the rest. I would allow the problem or issue may be in enigma2, but hate to see the blame for these channels placed on the operating system without any evidence to support it. Maybe it will be fixed, regardless of where the problem is. I do expect the solution to be a driver update for the receiver instead of an enigma2 update. We will see...

el bandido
01-30-2019, 10:28 PM
T2-MI (T2MI) PLP scan support has been added to the Octagon SF8008. You probably do not need this feature if you have to ask or do not know what it is.
Also, a bad commit was made to the blindscan plugin which may cause the loss of the feature after doing an online image update. Some users feel the need to update every time an update is available. OpenATV usually updates daily, but bad commits such as the blindscan plugin may also be in these daily updates. It is always a good idea to backup the whole image as least once a week so you will have a restore point if an update has problems. A better idea is to not update the image everyday. On an average, maybe 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 updates will have something useful for North America, so why update everyday?

eastof111
03-04-2019, 11:14 PM
Well, looks like Octagon will be releasing the Twin version in mid March.

el bandido
03-04-2019, 11:47 PM
Let us know how that works out.

eastof111
03-05-2019, 10:53 PM
Might do that in mid March of 2021 if they're still around and producing drivers. LOL!

el bandido
03-05-2019, 10:59 PM
Nothing like giving the product time to "Mature".