PDA

View Full Version : Stuck on Boot Image!

MikeB
04-18-2019, 09:58 AM
HELP!

I just setup a 955q ATSC dongle, and was looking for where the epg.dat file was located through my network connection to the MIO. Somehow, a folder called init.d ? I think it was got swiped and accidentally moved to /root/etc/enigma2

I don't think it belongs there though, but I'm not sure where it belongs. Anyway, I have now rebooted, and the Mio won't even boot past the EDISION screen! It's just stuck there.

What do I do now? I can't even access it via the network anymore, not even with PuTTY!

I even tried doing a force reload with the NA SDGr image on my usb thumbdrive, and it won't even load that. Holding down the RCU Menu button and booting up doesn't do anything either.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I got it to do something. I stuck a thumbdrive in usb1 that has a full backup from some time ago. I held down the RCU Power button, and plugged in the Mio. It came up to a menu saying it "detected a new version, do you want to restore to the new version now"? "Press and hold the OK button in 10 seconds"

I did that, a scroll goes across the screen and the drive light flickers for a bit like it's trying something, but it just comes up and stays on the EDISION screen with boot on the lcd, and nothing else.

It does not show up on my router anymore like it used to.

So, it's not bricked, it just won't boot all the way, but I'm not sure how it can be recovered. There are 3 other valid images on it, but I'm not sure how to get to them, so one of them would boot instead.

Megatron817
04-18-2019, 10:37 AM
Just press the menu button over and over, don't hold it down after a power cycle and you will get the blue boot selection screen.

MikeB
04-18-2019, 11:03 AM
Just press the menu button over and over, don't hold it down after a power cycle and you will get the blue boot selection screen.

OMG, that worked! I was now able to boot to slot2, which is the "test" NASDGr image I got from EB a month or so ago, to test new drivers for the Movies! / Start channel swap issue.

Thank you so much! I guess my next step is to reflash slot 1 again? I'm a bit gun-shy right now though, lol

Or maybe now that it's back on the network, I can just somehow copy a version of the init.d folder from slot2's image, to slot1's image? How do I get to another images folders, when booted into a different image?

I do have PuTTY loaded on my pc, and could copy a folder over through that, if somebody can lead me through what steps I would take? I just don't know how to get to another slots image folders.

Megatron817
04-18-2019, 12:06 PM
I don't think you can get to the other slots while booted in another. That's why it is good to backup the image regularly so a reflash will get it back going.
The EPG .dat is stored in flash and is not written to the HDD until a restart if you have the Location of the EPG Cache file set save to the HDD.
Openpli and Satdreamgr The HDD is seen as /media/usb. Openatv and other OE images The HDD is seen as /media/hdd.
If you want EPG .dat saved to HDD on Satdreamgr change the location in the EPG settings. /media/usb/epg.dat
When the option is Highlighted press TEXT on the remote to use the virtual keyboard.

MikeB
04-18-2019, 12:39 PM
El Bandido once mentioned in a thread that there is a way to copy files between images. However, he didn't say how, and I haven't as of yet figured out how to do that myself. Since this folder appears to be important to the boot process, I prefer not to guess and try to do it blindly.

So, I'm going to wait for a bit to see if he posts about it. Otherwise I'll have to just reflash over that slot as a last resort. I'm in no hurry for now.

el bandido
04-18-2019, 02:33 PM
About the only way to brick a MIO is to destroy the bootloader. That would be similar to destroying the BIOS in windows.
nit.d Belongs in /etc
FTP to the box and move nit.d from /etc/enigma2 to its correct location (/etc)
REBOOT.

MikeB
04-18-2019, 02:56 PM
About the only way to brick a MIO is to destroy the bootloader. That would be similar to destroying the BIOS in windows.
nit.d Belongs in /etc
FTP to the box and move nit.d from /etc/enigma2 to its correct location (/etc)
REBOOT.

That's just it, I'm presently booted in slot2 thanks to Megatron's post above, and that has the test version of SatDreamGr that you gave me last month, and the "bad image" is in Slot1. How can I get to that slots file structure if it won't even boot by itself, or come up on the network so I could FTP to it? Is there anyway to do that beyond just reflashing over it?

el bandido
04-18-2019, 03:25 PM
Does not matter if it boots 100% or not. FTP should be available.
Boot back to that slot and fix it. Give it a minute or two after it boots for ftp to work. FTP usually works, even when the word "boot" is displayed, but it may take a couple of minutes for ftp to become active.

el bandido
04-18-2019, 04:03 PM
With the init.d folder in etc/enigma2, ftp will not work. Let me see if there is a different solution to fix this issue.

Megatron817
04-18-2019, 05:36 PM
mount slot1 while booted in slot2
With PuTTY type

mkdir /media/slot1
mount /dev/mmcblk1p3 /media/slot1

Then use FTP and goto media folder and see if slot1 is there.

MikeB
04-18-2019, 09:11 PM
Thanks, I have it all recovered now!

Megatron817
04-19-2019, 05:25 AM
EB, gave me the info p3 is slot1. athoik gave the mount info. Just rewrote it so you could understand how.
I learned someting new myself. Thanks!

MikeB
04-19-2019, 06:15 AM
I learned a few things myself with this:

1: ALWAYS have another good image in another slot.
2: Be VERY careful mucking around in the Mio's file structure through Network Neighborhood, especially if you have a touchy laptop trackpad.
3: MENU button on the RCU can recover from an apparent corrupted image. Just press it multiple times while re-powering the Mio from the adapter.
4: ALWAYS have a reasonably current image backup, and KEEP TRACK of which thumbdrive has the backup image you need!

#3 alone could have got me up and running in a few minutes, versus hours of trying everything else.

dkendrick59
06-19-2021, 05:50 AM
My OS Mio 4K is stuck in boot. I have tried to reinstall the most current image from a hard shutdown and it still get stuck in boot mode.
Used the advice above about repeatedly hitting the menu button to get to the slot selection blue screen. Doesn't matter which slot I choose it remains in boot "lockup".

Any advice to get me going would be appreciated.

MikeB
06-19-2021, 06:11 AM
My OS Mio 4K is stuck in boot. I have tried to reinstall the most current image from a hard shutdown and it still get stuck in boot mode.
Used the advice above about repeatedly hitting the menu button to get to the slot selection blue screen. Doesn't matter which slot I choose it remains in boot "lockup".

Any advice to get me going would be appreciated.

ALL slots have this issue? Did you actually have other known-good (before this) images in any of the other slots? Can you post a photo of the exact "boot mode" screen you are seeing?

Megatron817
06-19-2021, 09:22 AM
Did you get the usb image to flash or is the mio going straight to boot stuck?

dkendrick59
06-19-2021, 11:44 AM
Let me explain further.....

I am using a Edision OS Mio 4k (Not the "+" model). This is one of the 4 Mios I have so I am reasonably accustomed to the workings therein.

When I plug the unit into 12VDC for a hard boot, it will recognize the usb dive with the TNAP files and go through the flash installation. After completion of the flash install, the Edison logo appears on the TV screen for an extended period of time. Eventually the TV display goes blank (black screen). The unit still shows boot in the STB display window but there is no other evidence of the boot completing.

I never get to the North Amercian Boot Screen. I cannot access any of the menus because the machine never comletes the boot process.

MikeB
06-19-2021, 11:47 AM
Let me explain further.....

I am using a Edision OS Mio 4k (Not the "+" model). This is one of the 4 Mios I have so I am reasonably accustomed to the workings therein.

When I plug the unit into 12VDC for a hard boot, it will recognize the usb dive with the TNAP files and go through the flash installation. After completion of the flash install, the Edison logo appears on the TV screen for an extended period of time. Eventually the TV display goes blank (black screen). The unit still shows boot in the STB display window but there is no other evidence of the boot completing.

I never get to the North Amercian Boot Screen. I cannot access any of the menus because the machine never comletes the boot process.

What happens IF you try to access the receiver through the WebIF screen? Perhaps it's simply booting to a frequency your tv set can't handle. It so, you can change that from the WebIF screen, because in that case it's actually up and running.

dkendrick59
06-19-2021, 11:48 AM
The image flashes fine. I get the progress screen for the flash install. Then goes to boot and stays there.

MikeB
06-19-2021, 11:51 AM
The image flashes fine. I get the progress screen for the flash install. Then goes to boot and stays there.

Try to access it through the WebIF screen. Seriously, you need to try things and post results, not just tell us "it doesn't work". IF you've already tried that in the WebIF, you haven't told us you have and what happened. Have you ever even used the WebIF screen? All you do is bring up a web browser, and type in the IP address of the MIO on your lan.

el bandido
06-19-2021, 11:59 AM

Which image,and where exactly did you download it? I would like to check it for errors.

dkendrick59
06-19-2021, 12:08 PM
Sorry to be a bother.

I am by no means a proffesional operating the Edision. Was just trying to explain what I could see visibly with regard to the STB omn the HDMI to my TV.

I will move the receiver so as to connect a lan connection and report the results.

Again, I apologoze for my inadequacy in explaining my issues.

dkendrick59
06-19-2021, 12:10 PM
I downloaded from your TNAP list on this site.

TNAP-4.0-20210523

MikeB
06-19-2021, 12:15 PM
Sorry to be a bother.

I am by no means a proffesional operating the Edision. Was just trying to explain what I could see visibly with regard to the STB omn the HDMI to my TV.

I will move the receiver so as to connect a lan connection and report the results.

Again, I apologoze for my inadequacy in explaining my issues.

It's just that there could be various reasons for what you are seeing. It MAY be as simple as it's just booting to something your tv set can't handle. In which case, the easiest way to diagnose that is to hook it to a network connection, and try to access it from a web browser. IF that works, it's a simply fix of navigating through the Mio's menu structure from within there, and changing the TV settings to something you KNOW your tv set can handle for sure.

Good luck, we've all learned plenty from this receiver, and it's STILL the best one I've ever used. You didn't choose wrong when you bought them.

dkendrick59
06-19-2021, 01:12 PM
I downloaded from your TNAP list on this site.

TNAP-4.0-20210523

Megatron817
06-19-2021, 02:16 PM
Test flash a few usb images from other image groups like OpenPli,Satdreamgr. If they have the same result then I think you have a broken Mio4k. It should boot to 100% even if you have an hdmi issue.

dkendrick59
06-19-2021, 06:02 PM
Will do thanks.

dkendrick59
06-20-2021, 09:13 AM
Tried both Satdreamer and Open PLI and receiver still won't go beyond the boot sequence.

Megatron817
06-20-2021, 09:43 AM
I have 1 mio4k here with the issue and a few others have reported the same. The computer part of mine works fine and can use it as a file server but it wont boot for tv.

el bandido
06-20-2021, 11:56 AM
Tried both Satdreamer and Open PLI and receiver still won't go beyond the boot sequence.

You may try using telnet to connect to the receiver and see what the problem is OR send the receiver back for warranty.

MikeB
06-20-2021, 12:34 PM

Have you tried accessing it through the WebIF screen as of yet? If so, what happened?

Titanium
06-21-2021, 02:11 PM
Additional information on this situation. The STB was working fine until it displayed the Green Screen error after the MSN weather plugin problem.

dkendrick59 took this STB offline and replaced it with 2nd Edision OS Mio 4k that he had previously purchased (running older TNAP and not affected by the MSM plugin error).

Recently, dkendrick59 took this STB out of storage and attempted to revive it by installing the most recent TNAP image. The new image that was installed is the TNAP EMMC USB version using "force" during power up. The image loads, stb restarts, the TV displays the Edision start-up image then the TV screen goes blank and the front display continues to show "Boot".

I talked with dkendrick59 on the phone this AM. I am curious if the failure to run (or display) TNAP is only a coincidence that this happened at the time the green screen problem occurred or is it linked to the recover steps after the green screen error?

el bandido
06-21-2021, 03:05 PM
More or less,
A green screen means the program encountered an error. The program restarts or reboots as an effort to resolve the problem. So we would think a green screen would not upset or destroy any enigma2 receiver to the point where it would not work again.

Anything at this point would be guessing. Having the telnet output of : init 4 && ENIGMA_DEBUG_LVL=5 enigma2 might show us the error and could possibly lead to a fix.