PDA

View Full Version : Octagon SF8008 Twin Tuner KU Issues

Babadem
09-21-2019, 10:52 PM
Blind Scanning with LNB L.O. of 10750 the Octagon SF8008 Twin tuner doesn't find any transponders. I have used the Circular LNB, User Defined of LOF/L= 10750, LOF/H=10750 Treshold=11700 or 12700, Tone Mode = On/OFF settings, and nothing works. But when I manually scan a transponder using L.O. = 10750, it scans in the channel. On the other hand, setting the "LNB Type" to Universal, I'm able to scan in transponders, but they're off by 150MHz. This is happening on OpenATV 6.3 with the latest Image.

Megatron817
09-22-2019, 06:35 AM
I wonder if maybe using blind scan start frequency 11750 will help and Circular LNB. That's what I have to do with the mutant HD60 but it uses DMM blind scan.

el bandido
09-22-2019, 08:50 AM
Post a screenshot of the blindscsan menu. Thanks.

Babadem
09-22-2019, 05:58 PM
See the attached screenshots for OpenVix. Note: This is the only image and date that works with LNB Type=Circular, but the Stop Scan Symbolrate can't go beyond 45.

Megatron817
09-22-2019, 06:45 PM
Blind scan may be broke with the latest openatv. I updated my os mio4k earlier today (satdreamgr-6) kernel 5.3.0 and my blind scan was doing the same no transponders found so I went back to a backup kernel 5.2.0 now it is back to normal.
45000 SR is probably the max on the octagon.

el bandido
09-22-2019, 06:58 PM
Let's see the output from the VIX image in post#4 We can use this telnet command:
init 4 && enigma2 > /tmp/debug.log 2>&1

Enter the above command then do a blindscan.
Get the debug.log file from the /tmp folder after the blindscan is complete, then zip it and attach it here.
type Control c (Ctrl + c) to stop the debug log, then type init 3 to restart the box.

el bandido
09-22-2019, 08:47 PM
Change the Tone mode from Off to Band. This is for the 22KHz tone in the antenna setup. See if that makes a difference.

Babadem
09-22-2019, 09:13 PM
Let's see the output from the VIX image in post#4 We can use this telnet command:
init 4 && enigma2 > /tmp/debug.log 2>&1

Enter the above command then do a blindscan.
Get the debug.log file from the /tmp folder after the blindscan is complete, then zip it and attach it here.
type Control c (Ctrl + c) to stop the debug log, then type init 3 to restart the box.
I get these errors when I run telnet and blind scan. I have checked and triple checked the commands. Can the system generate a debug file without those commands? Btw, I used putty for telnet.

el bandido
09-22-2019, 09:30 PM
Some images can, but the results would probably be the same. I do not normally work in OE Alliance images, and some things are different from PLI.
Post the log that was made. Let's see if we can find the issue with what is in it.

Get the log from /tmp, then reboot the box. Then change the 22KHz tone from Off to band and try a blindscan.

Babadem
09-22-2019, 09:37 PM
Even though the same error as as in the screen shots above are still present, I ran a blind scan without the command and this is debug log I found in the temp folder, I don't know if it's what you need. Thanks.

Babadem
09-22-2019, 09:41 PM
Change the Tone mode from Off to Band. This is for the 22KHz tone in the antenna setup. See if that makes a difference.

I tried that in OpenATV it didn't work. As noted earlier, the only one that works flawless with Circular/L.O of 10750 is that version of OpenVix, I posted above.

el bandido
09-22-2019, 10:32 PM
The log shows you have a single tuner for satellite or one DVB-S tuner, correct?
There are some time-shift remarks which may explain the tuner busy message.

It is great that you have an older OpenVix image that works, but it will not help us much. The blindscan plugin has been upgraded and altered since that old VIX image was released, so we will have to work with something new to fix it.

SatDreamGr is similar to PLI, and I am more used to working with it. That is the image we need to try and get working. Please reload it and check the following.
(1) Repeat the same test to make a debug log.
(2) Change the lnb to Universal, Then blindscan and report what that produces.
(3) Try a C band blindscan and report what it produces.

Maybe doing the above 3 things will get us somewhere or tell us something.

Babadem
09-22-2019, 11:23 PM
The log shows you have a single tuner for satellite or one DVB-S tuner, correct?

It is great that you have an older OpenVix image that works, but it will not help us much. The blindscan plugin has been upgraded and altered since that old VIX image was released, so we will have to work with something new to fix it.

SatDreamGr is similar to PLI, and I am more used to working with it. That is the image we need to try and get working. Please reload it and check the following.

I just saw this as I was about to upload an updated image debug log from Openvix. Yes, I'm currently using only one turner for now. I will do the above steps as instructed later. Meanwhile, please take a look at this debug file.

el bandido
09-22-2019, 11:48 PM
It looks like a semi-successful blindscan that generated a ton of errors:

[Blindscan][dataIsGood] Data returned by the binary is not good...

Move to an image type that I am used to working with and we will try to fix it. It should be "doable" from what I see in the second log.

Stick with 103 Ku as a test. That satellite should blindscan easy and I am used to seeing the transponders on it.

Babadem
09-23-2019, 09:53 AM

Using SatDreamGr didn't result in any success in either Universal, Circular for KU nor Cband Blindscan. See attachments.

Babadem
09-23-2019, 09:59 AM

Debug File and Telnet command line screenshot attached.

el bandido
09-23-2019, 10:29 AM
I gave you the wrong command line. PLI based images are different.

Repeat the blindscan with debug log using this terminal command.
init 4 && ENIGMA_DEBUG_LVL=5 enigma2 > /tmp/debug.log 2>&1

Post the output after starting the log and doing a blindscan.

We can probably take a couple of files from the older image that works, and make the newer image work, but some idea of what is going on would be great. The failed blindscan log may give a clue! We will see...

Babadem
09-23-2019, 11:14 AM
I gave you the wrong command line. PLI based images are different.

Repeat the blindscan with debug log using this terminal command.

Post the output after starting the log and doing a blindscan.

We can probably take a couple of files from the older image that works, and make the newer image work, but some idea of what is going on would be great. The failed blindscan log may give a clue! We will see...
As requested see debug log attached.

el bandido
09-23-2019, 12:20 PM
What happens when you use the other tuner for blindscan? Try setting a satellite up on it and blindscan it.

Babadem
09-23-2019, 01:04 PM
What happens when you use the other tuner for blindscan? Try setting a satellite up on it and blindscan it.
I will try that as soon as I can. But what did you find out from the last debug log that I posted?

Babadem
09-23-2019, 04:49 PM

Same failure rate as Tuner 1. This applies to CBand and KU Band. Please, see attached Debug file and some screenshots.

el bandido
09-23-2019, 06:40 PM
The problem here looks to be in the drivers, which Octagon will need to fix. Good Luck With That!

We can try moving the drivers from the old image to the new image as a test, but doing this could lock the image, and you would need to reflash it.

Babadem
09-23-2019, 09:46 PM
The problem here looks to be in the drivers, which Octagon will need to fix. Good Luck With That!

We can try moving the drivers from the old image to the new image as a test, but doing this could lock the image, and you would need to reflash it.

It's worth a try. Thanks!

el bandido
09-23-2019, 11:00 PM
Try moving the Octagon-blindscan executable located in usr/bin from the old image to the new image. Verify the file permissions are 766 after moving this file. Reboot box and test.

Second would be to take ALL the drivers from the extra folder in the old image located /lib/modules/4.4.35/extra. Move all of those files to the new image and Reboot the box. Restarting enigma2 Will Not work with either one of these transfers. Either reboot or remove power after transferring these types of files.

Babadem
09-24-2019, 10:53 AM
I will try those suggestions and report my findings. Did you say permissions of 766 and not 755?

el bandido
09-24-2019, 11:19 AM
766. Octagon-blindscan is an executable. That should be the only file needing permissions checked or changed.

Babadem
09-24-2019, 07:09 PM
Try moving the Octagon-blindscan executable located in usr/bin from the old image to the new image. Verify the file permissions are 766 after moving this file. Reboot box and test.

Second would be to take ALL the drivers from the extra folder in the old image located /lib/modules/4.4.35/extra. Move all of those files to the new image and Reboot the box. Restarting enigma2 Will Not work with either one of these transfers. Either reboot or remove power after transferring these types of files.

None of the options worked. The first option did a quick scan and failed to find transponders. A combination of options 1 & 2 froze the receiver. I did a reinstall to regain access to the receiver.

Babadem
09-24-2019, 07:55 PM
I have attached files from the working blind scan Image and Non Working latest Image for your review.

el bandido
09-24-2019, 08:18 PM
Does C band blindscan????

I checked your attachments. More or less, what you need fixed is Closed Source, and will require the manufacturer to fix.

Here is what makes blindscan run in the blindscan plugin for your receiver:

if getBoxType() == 'sf8008':
self.frontend and self.frontend.closeFrontend()
cmd = 'octagon-blindscan %d %d %d %d %d %d %d %d %d %d'

That code is found and is correct in the other blindscan plugin versions you have posted, and that I have downloaded. So you are left with a issue in the 'octagon-blindscan executable, or the driver(s).

Here is a thread about updates for the SF8008 drivers:
[Only registered and activated users can see links](1-Participant)

Driver updates are a good thing when they solve problems, but that is entirely too many updates. It shows a lack of coding skill or hardware problem. Rick Caylor stopped having updates posted at his site for unknown reasons, but that many updates in a few months time just does not look good for the team doing them. You are welcome to post in that driver thread for the SF8008, or post at the Octagon website. Good Luck with getting it fixed!

I would also suggest getting an universal type lnb if that is possible because doing that may help you more than anything else with SF8008 in the short run.

Babadem
09-24-2019, 08:48 PM
Does C band blindscan????

I checked your attachments. More or less, what you need fixed is Closed Source, and will require the manufacturer to fix.

Here is what makes blindscan run in the blindscan plugin for your receiver:

That code is found and is correct in the other blindscan plugin versions you have posted, and that I have downloaded. So you are left with a issue in the 'octagon-blindscan executable, or the driver(s).

Here is a thread about updates for the SF8008 drivers:

Driver updates are a good thing when they solve problems, but that is entirely too many updates. It shows a lack of coding skill or hardware problem. Rick Caylor stopped having updates posted at his site for unknown reasons, but that many updates in a few months time just does not look good for the team doing them. You are welcome to post in that driver thread for the SF8008, or post at the Octagon website. Good Luck with getting it fixed!

I would also suggest getting an universal type lnb if that is possible because doing that may help you more than anything else with SF8008 in the short run.

That's the route, I'm headed. Thanks for your help.

el bandido
09-24-2019, 08:58 PM
There were a lot of errors in the earlier tests on the blindscan that worked. There were a lot of transponders that were found that got rejected, but I think it was throwing out the duplicates the 10750 lnb was making. Will be glad to check it and maybe do some tweaks when you change the lnb to universal. Let me know how it works!

el bandido
09-25-2019, 07:42 AM
For Octagon users:
The Blindscan plugin has been updated with new menu options. A thread that tries to explain the new menu items, plus some suggested settings is in the link:

el bandido
01-07-2020, 02:38 PM
Looks like the blindscan problem with the 10750 lnb will continue into 2020.
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

This is ridiculous and shows a lack of concern for the SF8008 product by Rick Caylor. There needs to be someone actively working on issues like this or they will not be fixed. No one seems to be doing that. IF some receivers are scanning correctly, but others are not, then posting the antenna settings File by everyone involved might help pinpoint the problem, or at least show what does work and what does not! If everyone is using the exact same settings, the exact same receiver, and the exact same image, then the results ought to be the same.

Rick Caylor probably ships the enigma2 boxes with OpenATV image because that is what they had when he purchased them. Taking a receiver out of the box, flashing it, then returning it to the box for shipment takes time. Rick Caylor probably does not want to do this or has not taken the time to research enigma2 images and see what works best in North America.

The OpenATV image, and some other images have a poor Blindscan or Service scan right now. OpenATV is a great image, but it is lacking in the Blindscan and Service scan areas. Why a North American seller wants to ship a box with an ATV image that has a slow scan installed is beyond me. North America needs a decent scan, so shipping the SF8008 with SatDreamGr or OpenVix image would make more sense.

Posted below are screencaps showing the scan times using different images. The 10750 Blindscan can be fixed in the SF8008 for ALL users, but proper efforts need to be made for this to happen.

117w OpenATV Scan Test

117w SatDreamGr........................................ ..117w OpenVIX
16412 16413

101w OpenATV Scan Test

117w SatDreamGr........................................ ..117w OpenVIX
16415 16416

97w Ku OpenATV Scan Test

117w OpenVIX..........................................1 17w SatDreamGr
16418 16419

Scan reports for these tests are attached. You may use notepad++ or similar to view them, or change the extension from .xml to .txt and use a text editor or wordpad.

Babadem
02-05-2020, 04:01 PM
I tested the "Circular LNB" Blindscan feature on the Octagon SF8008 Dual Turner, on OpenVIX Image, using files "plugin.py" and ServiceScan.py sent to me by El Bandido.

Note: (1) OPenVIX doesn't not have lib64, but a "lib" folder.

(2) The file "plugin.py" was copied to "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/Blindscan" and I didn't change the already existing file plugin.pyo. Meaning I didn't overwrite it.

(3) The file "ServiceSan.py" was copied to "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components" and I didn't change the already existing file ServiceSan.pyo. Meaning I didn't overwrite it.

After adding "plugin.py" and "ServiceSan.py", I rebooted and scanned using the "Circular LNB" KU settings and it worked.

I noticed an extra option in Blindscan that says "Enter 4 Digit NWS Code for Scan Report = KATL". I understand that's for Weather related Scans.

Tested settings for KU Circular LNB, Universal LNB and CBand, so far so good. I particularly like the break down of TV and Radio channels found after BlindScaning. I also appears this version of Blindscan finds more transponders that he stock.

Instructions from El Bandido:
Load these two files in a VIX and test blindscan using the Circular setting.

Download VIX.zip (24 KB)
[Only registered and activated users can see links]!jgEkxKgZ!xfCZ2XdQ7...PGIGuLksBWUMBs

plugin.py = /usr/lib64/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/Blindscan
ServiceScan.py = /usr/lib64/enigma2/python/Components

Reboot box after installing these two files and then test blindscan.

Needed Files: 16459

See some Screenshots Below:

el bandido
02-05-2020, 04:07 PM
Can you post a screenshot of the about pafe for the same image?
Why does it show results for 30w C band when it looks like you scanned 30w Ku band???

Babadem
02-05-2020, 04:29 PM
Can you post a screenshot of the about pafe for the same image?
Why does it show results for 30w C band when it looks like you scanned 30w Ku band???

I see what you're saying now. I'm confident of my settings, but don't know why it labels 30.0W as C-Band Satellite. See Blindscan progression screenshots.

el bandido
02-05-2020, 04:36 PM
What results do you get using these settings?
LOf/L=10750
LOF/H=10750
Threshold=10750
22KHz Tone=OFF

Does the C band id go away when you use these settings, and do these settings work now?
Does the box scan correctly on Tuner A?

Babadem
02-05-2020, 05:04 PM
What results do you get using these settings?
LOf/L=10750
LOF/H=10750
Threshold=10750
22KHz Tone=OFF

Does the C band id go away when you use these settings, and do these settings work now?
Does the box scan correctly on Tuner A?

Using the above parameters, it didn't find anything. I'm yet to test Tuner A.

el bandido
02-05-2020, 10:06 PM
Using the exact same Vix plugin, these settings work for the MIO4K:
LOf/L=10750
LOF/H=10750
Threshold=10750
22KHz Tone=OFF

30w showing up in the scan as a c band satellite is due to the satellites.xml file. 30w is not defined as a ku satellite in that file, so the default when nno band is assigned seems to be C band.

Pli blindscan plugin is built a bit different than the Vix or OE alliance plugin. I will change the code in the PLi plugin to equal the SF8008 code in the Vix plugin. Perhaps making that change will allow the SatDreamGr image to blindscan in the SF8008 as it is based on PLi.

el bandido
02-06-2020, 01:10 PM
I made some changes to the SatDreamGr plugin, based on the working Vix plugin.
Please try the attached plugin in SatDreamGr image using the Circular antenna setting, which should be the same one used in Vix.

Note: Attached plugin file will not work in Vix image!

Babadem
02-06-2020, 05:15 PM
I made some changes to the SatDreamGr plugin, based on the working Vix plugin.
Please try the attached plugin in SatDreamGr image using the Circular antenna setting, which should be the same one used in Vix.

Note: Attached plugin file will not work in Vix image!
Added the file to "/usr/lib64/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/Blindscan" on the latest image of SatDreamGr and rebooted. Set to Circular LNB, and Blindscaned the dreaded Green error screen was displayed. It crashed.

el bandido
02-06-2020, 06:07 PM
SatDreamGr should not have a lib64 folder...
Where is the crash log????
Have no clue what happened without it.

Babadem
02-07-2020, 10:57 AM
SatDreamGr should not have a lib64 folder...
Where is the crash log????
Have no clue what happened without it.
Sorry for the late response. Please see attached crash log.

el bandido
02-07-2020, 08:11 PM
We will need to see if we can read the output of the Octagon blindscan using an unaltered plugin.
Download and install the attached SatDreamGr plugin.
Next,start telnet, then copy and paste the telnet command shown in bold:

Try to perform a blindscan on c band, followed by a blindscan on ku band.
Then go into the /tmp folder of the receiver, and attach the debug.log file to this thread.
Press and hold keyboard keys Ctrl c to break the debug logging, followed by the init 3 command.

Babadem
02-10-2020, 11:35 AM
We will need to see if we can read the output of the Octagon blindscan using an unaltered plugin.
Download and install the attached SatDreamGr plugin.
Next,start telnet, then copy and paste the telnet command shown in bold:

Try to perform a blindscan on c band, followed by a blindscan on ku band.
Then go into the /tmp folder of the receiver, and attach the debug.log file to this thread.
Press and hold keyboard keys Ctrl c to break the debug logging, followed by the init 3 command.

Please, see attached debug file for your review. Thanks!

el bandido
02-10-2020, 05:38 PM
I cannot remember seeing this log error before during a blindscan:

[eDVBFrontend] FE_READ_STATUS failed: Bad file descriptor

Please add this logfile to your thread at SatDreamGr. Maybe they will have time to look at it. I will look for other options.

The SF8008 image can now be built using PLI sources. I expect a PLi image to be available for the SF8008 in their next release.

Babadem
02-10-2020, 08:02 PM
I cannot remember seeing this log error before during a blindscan:

Please add this logfile to your thread at SatDreamGr. Maybe they will have time to look at it. I will look for other options.

The SF8008 image can now be built using PLI sources. I expect a PLi image to be available for the SF8008 in their next release.
I will do just that.

el bandido
02-17-2020, 06:17 AM
Please try the new PLi image and see if the blindscan problem exists.

Babadem
02-17-2020, 05:51 PM

I will test and report my findings.

Babadem
02-17-2020, 07:32 PM

Preliminary test: Multiboot function is not present even though I used multiboot Image. Second, the BlindScan feature was missing on the Tuner Settings Menu even though it was present in Uninstall Programs. Uninstalled Blindscan plugin and reinstalled and it was then visible in the Menu. Did a C Band BlindScan........No Transponders found. Discouraged, I will test KU later.

el bandido
02-17-2020, 09:16 PM
Multiboot is a known problem that PLi team said was not working.

Test fix for blindscan in the link:

Babadem
02-18-2020, 09:14 PM
Multiboot is a known problem that PLi team said was not working.

Test fix for blindscan in the link:
No luck. I have OpenPli on slot 3. I have posted my finding and screenshots of where the blindscan files were placed on OpenPLI website. Follow THIS link ([Only registered and activated users can see links]).

el bandido
02-18-2020, 09:24 PM
Wonder why it seems to work for some and not others?
Be sure to mention your antenna settings, and also that you are c/ku capable. Stay with it!!!!
ALL "Eyes" are on that thread. If you are going to get it fixed, it will probably happen there in that thread.

el bandido
02-25-2020, 02:01 PM
Possible fix for blindscan in PLi images.
Test files are in the link. Would like to know your results.
Note: These test files may not have any bootlogos, so wait for it to boot using a black screen

Multi-boot or flash...

Babadem
02-27-2020, 11:32 AM
Possible fix for blindscan in PLi images.
Test files are in the link. Would like to know your results.
Note: These test files may not have any bootlogos, so wait for it to boot using a black screen

Multi-boot or flash...

I didn't have time to download and test. Why did you remove the link?

el bandido
02-27-2020, 01:58 PM
Test images can cause problems. I do not like leaving them up.
Here is the link:

Let me know when you download them.

Thanks.

el bandido
02-28-2020, 06:24 AM
Blindscan is supposed to be fixed now in SatDreamGr image.

Babadem
02-28-2020, 07:04 PM
Test images can cause problems. I do not like leaving them up.
Here is the link:

Let me know when you download them.

Thanks.
Download complete...I will update after testing.

el bandido
03-26-2020, 12:01 PM
I guess the blindscan in Octagon SF8008 is running smoothly now without issues? And supported Hauppauge ATSC devices are working too?

Time grows short on fixing this receiver. If there are problems, they need to be reported on the OpenPLi forum in the proper thread so they can be fixed.
We are about the only ones in the world that use these items:
10750 l.o. linear Ku band lnb
Hauppauge ATSC devices
C band blindscan
Blindscan for DVB-S/S2 satellites

You cannot sit idle and expect things in the short list highlighted in blue above to magically work in a fta receiver because those items are not really used much in other parts of the world. It actually amazes me that any work was recently done on the SF8008 because it is almost 2 years old now. Better late than never I guess...

If you still have problems with the SF8008, then post about them in this thread:

They are pretty much finished with this receiver, and will lose interest in it soon because other receivers need work too. More or less, "Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace!"

Very simple: When the SF8008 was released, there was no multiboot support, flash was a single partition with a single rootfs. So OE-A hacked their way around that by using an SD card, since there was only one partition in flash.

All OE-A based images inherited the hack, since they are all based on the same OE.

Is is only after we have been discussing this with Octagon that they created a BSP with multiboot support, and for that the adopted the gfutures (hd51) method, for compatibility reasons.

This is one of the many reasons why we insist on a vendor BSP and direct contact, instead of simply receiving an email with drivers and create the rest ourselfs...

Babadem
03-31-2020, 08:26 PM
I guess the blindscan in Octagon SF8008 is running smoothly now without issues? And supported Hauppauge ATSC devices are working too?

Time grows short on fixing this receiver. If there are problems, they need to be reported on the OpenPLi forum in the proper thread so they can be fixed.
We are about the only ones in the world that use these items:
10750 l.o. linear Ku band lnb
Hauppauge ATSC devices
C band blindscan
Blindscan for DVB-S/S2 satellites

You cannot sit idle and expect things in the short list highlighted in blue above to magically work in a fta receiver because those items are not really used much in other parts of the world. It actually amazes me that any work was recently done on the SF8008 because it is almost 2 years old now. Better late than never I guess...

If you still have problems with the SF8008, then post about them in this thread:

They are pretty much finished with this receiver, and will lose interest in it soon because other receivers need work too. More or less, "Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace!"
Sorry, I didn't get around to test and report my findings earlier than now. I'm very happy with all the latest improvements. Blindscan works very well on both C and KU bands. Multiboot feature still not present. ATSC OTA will be tested tomorrow.

Babadem
03-31-2020, 08:52 PM
After installing the atsc-950q-usb-hauppague driver this is what is displayed "Tuner C: Auvitek AU8522 QAM/8VSB Frontend (DVB-C)" in the Tuner section. Nothing for ATSC.

el bandido
03-31-2020, 09:32 PM
You will need to tell the PLi team what works and what does not if you want anything else fixed. Be sure to download and install their latest image before reporting any issues to them. Seems they think multiboot is fixed, but it does not work for you. I am sure none of the PLi team owns an ATSC stick, but they may fix the Hauppauge ATSC drivers if you ask. I do not own the SF8008 receiver, but I would like to see it work properly for those that do.