PDA

View Full Version : Edision osmio 4k wifi issue

eelstrebor
12-14-2019, 07:28 PM
The osmio 4k has dual band wifi (2.4/5 GHz radios) but of the 4 images that I have installed, only one (OpenATV) will list 5 GHz access points. There is a workaround for the other 3.

1. telnet and login to the box
2. if you know the ssid of your 5 GHz AP and encryption passphrase, edit /etc/wpa_supplicant.<interface>.conf
#WPA Supplicant Configuration by enigma2
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
eapol_version=1
fast_reauth=1
ap_scan=1
network={
ssid="whatever_it_is"
scan_ssid=1
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
proto=RSN
pairwise=CCMP
group=CCMP
psk="whatever_it_is"
}

Of course, the above file was already created on my box with a 2.4 GHz access point - I don't know if it already exists on a new install. If not already present you should be able to create the file using a text editor and then copy and paste and edit it to use your ssid and psk key (aka encryption passphrase).

3. Reboot and you'll be connected to your 5 GHz AP - worked for me on all three images.

Anyway, the firmware should be updated to scan and list the 5 GHz AP's. The firmware should be fixed to provide proper information on the wifi networks that are detected instead of listing an encrypted network as open (i.e. Encryption: No) and with a valid signal level instead of -256 dbm, also. And the statistics don't give a bitrate either.

Megatron817
12-15-2019, 05:34 PM
The osmio 4k has dual band wifi (2.4/5 GHz radios) but of the 4 images that I have installed, only one (OpenATV) will list 5 GHz access points. There is a workaround for the other 3.

1. telnet and login to the box
2. if you know the ssid of your 5 GHz AP and encryption passphrase, edit /etc/wpa_supplicant.<interface>.conf
#WPA Supplicant Configuration by enigma2
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
eapol_version=1
fast_reauth=1
ap_scan=1
network={
ssid="whatever_it_is"
scan_ssid=1
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
proto=RSN
pairwise=CCMP
group=CCMP
psk="whatever_it_is"
}

Of course, the above file was already created on my box with a 2.4 GHz access point - I don't know if it already exists on a new install. If not already present you should be able to create the file using a text editor and then copy and paste and edit it to use your ssid and psk key (aka encryption passphrase).

3. Reboot and you'll be connected to your 5 GHz AP - worked for me on all three images.

Anyway, the firmware should be updated to scan and list the 5 GHz AP's. The firmware should be fixed to provide proper information on the wifi networks that are detected instead of listing an encrypted network as open (i.e. Encryption: No) and with a valid signal level instead of -256 dbm, also. And the statistics don't give a bitrate either.

My ARRIS private network Router has 5g wifi and every image I have installed shows the 5g wifi never had to do any of that. Thanks for the info, someone may need it.