Is this normal for signal to be this low, I have a well tuned dish
lowest I've seen on a receiver
Not a big deal, this receiver seems to have a pretty sensitive tuner

el bandido
01-19-2020, 12:46 AM
What satellite?
What is the dish size?
What type of lnb? Make/Model?
Why are you not using SNR in db instead of SNR in %?

WaMan
01-19-2020, 01:12 AM
Ses1
12 ft.
Norsat 3220
I will have to find this setting to change it

el bandido
01-19-2020, 01:28 AM
Set Force legacy signal stats to no. That should fix it.

WaMan
01-19-2020, 08:06 AM
That did the trick

Terryl
01-20-2020, 02:06 PM
And a quick note, signal strength (S) is not the strength of the signal from the satellite, but the strength of the down-converted signal from the LNB's output to the receiver.

It can be as low as 40% and still work, what you want is the "Q" to be as high as possible, and these measurements are all calculated internally by software at the receiver, the true measurement of whats coming down from the satellite would be the internal RSSI on the LNB's internal AGC voltage controlled amp, this could be converted to dBpV.

el bandido
01-20-2020, 03:09 PM
Enigma2 does not have the signal strength (S) feature.
Some of the earlier skins would show the S signal, but I have not seen that feature in years.

Enigma2 receivers will show the signal strength as SNR(%) or SNR(DB). References are made in programming that refer to the SNR(%) as the signal Quality.

Terryl
01-21-2020, 10:32 AM
OK, but it still comes from the same RSSI voltage in the receivers tuner, that voltage is run into an A to D converter and that digital data used by software to give you something to look at.

It is not a true SNR reading of the signals coming down from a satellite, you would need a very special LNB, locked onto a reference signal on a transponder to get that.

How you measure true SNR on an RF system is to first establish a reference signal giving you a starting point on a spectrum analyzer, (lets say 0 dBm) then remove that signal, and read the remainder,(lets say it drops to -60 dBm) this would give you the noise floor reading of whats left, or an SNR of 60 dB, or if your design noise floor is lets say 100 dB, then your SNR in percentage is 60%.

Audio SNR is done the same way.

For an off the shelf consumer satellite receiver to do a true SNR reading, it would have to know all the system gains and losses, and what the starting point reference signal is, and how to shut it off, all your looking at is a software defined reading based on some voltage coming from a tuners AGC circuit.

el bandido
01-21-2020, 12:07 PM
We know it is not 100% accurate. But it is better than nothing.