PDA

View Full Version : ftp interrupts streaming

eelstrebor
10-14-2020, 06:53 PM
While streaming a satellite program and simultaneously transfer a file, the stream is interrupted multiple times. TNAP 3.2

el bandido
10-14-2020, 08:03 PM
What satellite channel is being streamed when the file is being transferred?
What size file is being transferred, and how long does the transfer take?
How is the network configured or setup? Is the network Hardwired or Wireless? It might be a good idea to describe the network in detail if it contains more than 1 router, 1 computer, and 1 fta receiver.

el bandido
10-14-2020, 09:54 PM
For what it is worth using the MIO+,
I just transferred a 1 Gig. size file at 6.9 MB/sec while streaming ABC-10 at 95 west without any issues. I do have what some would consider a complex network that consists of cabling and wireless routers, spread out over a distance of about 100 meters. If needed, I can try from the maximum distance that my network covers. It works for me, so we need to see why it does not work for you.

eelstrebor
10-15-2020, 01:19 PM
What satellite channel is being streamed when the file is being transferred?

Doesn't matter which program is being streamed. It has happened on 97W, 99W, and 101W. I haven't tried streaming off of other satellites while transferring a file.

What size file is being transferred, and how long does the transfer take?

It's 2 GB, takes about 5-10 minutes to transfer.

How is the network configured or setup? Is the network Hardwired or Wireless? It might be a good idea to describe the network in detail if it contains more than 1 router, 1 computer, and 1 fta receiver.

Everything hardwired except for laptops. Both PC and osmio4k are attached to the same router which is the primary router (Netgear R7800) in a WDS setup (1 WAP and 4 stations - 5 GHz - some are configured with a 2.4 GHz AP with different SSID - all routers are Netgear R7800). QoS is not used. Router firmware is dd-wrt. There are 2 osmio4k receivers, 4 PC's (not necessarily online at the same time - all hardwired to a router), 4 laptops (usually only 1 online but sometimes 2 or 3), 3 smartphones (all online most of the time - 2 are Samsung, 1 iphone), 2 Android TV boxes, 1 Ring doorbell (the only 2.4 GHz device), 4 Roku's hardwired to routers, 2 bluray players (hardwired to a router but normally turned off), 1 smartTV (Vizio, hardwired to a router). No IoT devices. Most devices connect via my personal wireguard VPN but not all. WPA2/AES. I think that's everything.

el bandido
10-15-2020, 03:07 PM
You have a collection of items in your network That is an impressive collection of pieces!

That list is too complicated to look at as a whole. It needs to be dissected into smaller parts or segments. Get a small segment working correctly, then add the other pieces one at a time, and test for problems after each item is added.

One problem in a setup such as yours is DHCP, or the assigning of ip addresses to the devices. If more than One of those items is assigning ip addresses, then you can have connection or connectivity problems.

Where does the internet come in? Which device supply's internet to these devices?
Which device is in charge of assigning ip addresses?

eelstrebor
10-15-2020, 04:10 PM
Only one router assigns LAN IP addresses, DNS, wireguard server. All known devices are assigned it's own IP address from a static leases file based on mac address. All others get a random DHCP server assigned IP address, of course, from just one router. There isn't any duplication of IP addresses. All the routers are connected via 5 GHz WDS network - only one WDS AP with 4 stations.

MikeB
10-15-2020, 05:36 PM
I have a question: Why is QoS turned OFF, or not used?

I have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router running regular Netgear firmware, and turning QoS off, or even setting it manually reduces my internal LAN speed WAY down on file transfers (1-2~mbs per second). Setting QoS to automatic, results in those same speeds going up to 9-12Mbs per second...

el bandido
10-15-2020, 08:06 PM
Where can I find a complete manual for these routers? I do not know if what I looked at is correct.

Interesting reads for me on this subject here: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

I had a lot of setup problems with my network. The solution for me was to deactivate DHCP on all of the routers and access points. Then use one Linux computer to control the ip assignments for all devices that connect to the network. My network will completely collapse if the Linux computer goes offline. No devices can connect to the network without the Linux computer online because nothing else is allowed to control the ip addresses. My network is built out of old, cheap parts, but it works great unless the single Linux computer that controls the ip's goes out.

I have had problems with connectivity when setting up bridges, and my best luck with daisy chaining or using multiple routers and access points in one network is to keep the setup as simple as possible.

MikeB
10-15-2020, 08:24 PM
Where can I find a complete manual for these routers? I do not know if what I looked at is correct.

Interesting reads for me on this subject here: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

I had a lot of setup problems with my network. The solution for me was to deactivate DHCP on all of the routers and access points. Then use one Linux computer to control the ip assignments for all devices that connect to the network. My network will completely collapse if the Linux computer goes offline. No devices can connect to the network without the Linux computer online because nothing else is allowed to control the ip addresses. My network is built out of old, cheap parts, but it works great unless the single Linux computer that controls the ip's goes out.

I have had problems with connectivity when setting up bridges, and my best luck with daisy chaining or using multiple routers and access points in one network is to keep the setup as simple as possible.

Right here for mine:

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

eelstrebor
10-15-2020, 08:35 PM
I don't know what is wrong with this site but I keep getting a "Token expired" message and end up having to log out and back in. Anyway......

I have a question: Why is QoS turned OFF, or not used?

I have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router running regular Netgear firmware, and turning QoS off, or even setting it manually reduces my internal LAN speed WAY down on file transfers (1-2~mbs per second). Setting QoS to automatic, results in those same speeds going up to 9-12Mbs per second...

Because it interferes with a setting that allows the router to operate above 300 Mb on the WAN port.

el bandido
10-15-2020, 08:59 PM
To be clear,
Per Page# 70 in the attached manual, Has DHCP been disabled as instructed on page 70 for All routers?

MikeB
10-16-2020, 12:11 PM
I don't know what is wrong with this site but I keep getting a "Token expired" message and end up having to log out and back in. Anyway......

Because it interferes with a setting that allows the router to operate above 300 Mb on the WAN port.

Ok, I only have 100/11 and have no issues with that. However, something still tells me this is a QoS issue. Especially with the complicated network setup you posted earlier. My Netgear Nighthawk router does NOT handle doing manual settings of QoS for devices at all well, no matter how I tweak it, but letting the router do it automatically works perfectly.

Can you ADD a QoS Smart switch device between the OS Mio / pc and specific router that they are hooked to, more or less putting those two devices on their own segment? Then configure their ports to HIGH priority, and see what happens then.

eelstrebor
10-16-2020, 07:29 PM
To be clear,
Per Page# 70 in the attached manual, Has DHCP been disabled as instructed on page 70 for All routers?

Since I'm using custom firmware I don't use that manual. Anyway, I just checked again and only one router has the DHCP server enabled.

el bandido
10-16-2020, 08:10 PM
Custom firmware....Multiple routers....Multiple clients.... And no road map.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

I can only say start with one piece at a time, prove beyond a doubt that the added piece works, then add another piece. Trying to troubleshoot or fix that network as a whole will be difficult.

eelstrebor
10-17-2020, 09:57 AM
Like most other things these days, I'll just live with it or a workaround. Thanks for replying.