PDA

View Full Version : Youtube/Media Player Plugin and Mio+

cyberham
10-23-2021, 03:32 PM
I used to enjoy playing youtube videos through my Edision Mio+ using the plugin for this so I could watch youtube videos on my TV screen. The youtube plugin uses the media player plugin. Lately, almost any video I play stops and starts as I play it as though it's being buffered. Effectively, the feature doesn't work anymore for me. I am using TNAP 4.1 with the latest updates.

Troubleshooting already tried:
- Uninstalled and reinstalled both the youtube and the media player plugins.

- I've checked the Network menu in the Mio+. I use the wired LAN connection and the network test passes. Netspeedtest shows 80.24 Mbps download and 10.18 Mbps upload.

- I did a cold and warm restart of the Mio+.

- I restarted my cable/network router. The router works fine for all other household Internet applications.

I wonder if others have tried this feature while using TNAP 4.1?

I notice most youtube audio is labelled as MPEG 4-AAC. I wonder if this is contributing to the videos not playing smoothly.

- The youtube setup screen is as follows:

Megatron817
10-23-2021, 04:02 PM
Lower the max video resolution and see if that helps.

cyberham
10-23-2021, 04:18 PM
I tried lowering Maximum Video Resolution to 1280x720 and 854x480 but no change. So I put it back to 1920x1080.

Megatron817
10-23-2021, 04:32 PM
640x360 how does that do?

cyberham
10-23-2021, 04:53 PM
That may have helped. But some videos still won't play smoothly. I think I'll just connect my PC via HDMI cable directly to the TV. Then I can play anything at full resolution. What's interesting is I don't recall this being an issue at some point in the past.

Megatron817
10-23-2021, 05:08 PM
Yeah I got Kodi 18.9 on my OpenPli develop image in another slot and the youTube app in Kodi has the same issues with some videos. YouTube wants you to see the ads so with these apps like these not doing ads they are not fully supported by the YouTube servers. Just my opinion.

cyberham
10-23-2021, 06:24 PM
Workaround discovered: The plugin allows me to download the video of interest. The audio and video tracks download separately to my local disk. When I play it locally, it plays perfectly even at the HD resolution. The only catch is it takes a bit of time to download.

Megatron817
10-23-2021, 06:51 PM
Workaround discovered: The plugin allows me to download the video of interest. The audio and video tracks download separately to my local disk. When I play it locally, it plays perfectly even at the HD resolution. The only catch is it takes a bit of time to download.

Yep that is a cool option for saving and watch later. Slow to download to usb tells me the stream is slow from the server using these apps. but not all content.

el bandido
10-23-2021, 07:54 PM
It would help to provide a title for a video(s) that does not play correctly. The problem needs to be replicated if possible.

I have no idea what this means:

I am using TNAP 4.1 with the latest updates
The images have dates and numbers. Knowing what they are is better than guessing at what you have. Providing a screenshot of the About page for the image, or posting the build dates and numbers would help. (Menu--->Information--->About)

cyberham
10-24-2021, 05:09 AM
It's easy to provide a sample example. I have "Maximum video resolution" configured at 640x360 for this example. One example is the video "Setting up a Basic KU Band Satellite System for Free Satellite TV". I learned that configuring Youtube setup with "Use DASH MP4 format" to OFF will then download a single file containing video and audio.

See images below.

ADDED: I just did an online update. Suddenly, the youtubes play correctly even at highest resolution! Is this a coincidence or did this update resolve something on this subject? Below is my current About screen. For now, it seems issue is resolved.

el bandido
10-24-2021, 06:58 AM
Is this a coincidence or did this update resolve something on this subject?
Hard to say....At least it works for the moment.

YouTube is a maintenance item for fta receivers. Let us know if it gives more problems.

cyberham
10-24-2021, 07:29 AM
Perhaps just the act of doing an update "twigged" something and the update itself didn't actually change any software that applied to the youtube plugin. I've been watching all morning and every video plays perfectly at highest resolution. I had forgotten how useful this feature is and fun to use.

el bandido
10-24-2021, 07:51 AM
Online Updates are file updates. Your YouTube app has been updated. :smileDog: