PDA

View Full Version : osmio4K+ experience

lme
01-20-2022, 02:38 PM
After playing with this new box, my first impression is that it is not as advertised "the only box in North America witch can scan transponders 3° apart".
Did some scan tests with this new box & my old Vu+04k, and as you can see from the pics osmio is far behind:
Using TNAP4.1, scan tests were done on different satellites trying to build up my channel list.
the worst example of all is on 101W with 7 tps at 4° apart out of 17, where osmio failed miserable not finding all tps:
17404 17405 17406
and here is the scan result done by Vu+:

This is happening on some other satellites. openvix image on osmio did a better job, but not as Vu+ with openvix img.
Another issue I have with osmio is that it has hard time to clear some channels where Vu+ has no problems.

So, my conclusion is:
1-maybe i use a wrong scanning procedure;
2-the tuner is not up to as being advertised; or
3-the QC of the manufacturer doesn't do a good job on checking the final product, and I ended up buying a door stop.
any suggestions ?

el bandido
01-20-2022, 04:37 PM
What does this mean? "the only box in North America witch can scan transponders 3° apart" 3° apart 4° apart ??? I think you meant MHz right? Transponders are not separated by degrees. I have found transponders with channels spaced 1 MHz apart on 95w c band using mio receivers.

What happens when you reboot the box? Does the blindscan get any better?

Why are you changing the blindscan start frequency? Why filter out adjacent satellites?

Filter out adjacent satellites should be set to off unless you are using a small dish that receives signals from other satellites besides the one you are scanning.

Be glad to help if you want to find the problem. Shown below are the transponders I find for 101w using the mio receiver.

el bandido
01-20-2022, 05:29 PM
117w - cband Has a little bit of everything. Shown below are scan results for this satellite in not the greatest of weather.
Attached is a detailed scan log that shows what was found on each transponder that blindscan logged.

17410<------------------------------------->17411

lme
01-20-2022, 05:54 PM
Ok. as i suspected i had the wrong setting on blind scan.
now it can find 18 tps on 101w, including the 4 tps spaced 4mhz apart.
I also noticed some smaller Q on some channels, versus what my Vu+ shows, but that may be the tuner of Vu+.
thanks for the help.

el bandido
01-20-2022, 06:01 PM
Glad you found the problem.

Q and other DVB signal measurements on vuplus receivers are junk. VU+ had not interest in fta features such as signal measurements and scan capabilities.

lme
01-20-2022, 06:40 PM
Glad you found the problem.

Q and other DVB signal measurements on vuplus receivers are junk. VU+ had not interest in fta features such as signal measurements and scan capabilities.

You're right about vu+.
One more question regarding the tuner config for c-band:
tone mode should be off, as i have an ecoda switch with ku cable connected to 22khz port & c cable connected to the 0khz port ?

el bandido
01-20-2022, 08:25 PM
22KHz controls the scan bands in the blindscan plugin. 22KHz switches should be avoided in enigma2 receivers that blindscan. At minimum, c band should be set to Off or 0 KHz.

lme
01-20-2022, 08:39 PM
22KHz controls the scan bands in the blindscan plugin. 22KHz switches should be avoided in enigma2 receivers that blindscan. At minimum, c band should be set to Off or 0 KHz.

That's what i have in settings for c-band.
i need the ecoda as i have 2 separate lnbs for c & ku.
ok. Thanks.

el bandido
01-20-2022, 09:01 PM
Use a 2 or 4 position diseqc switch if possible.
22 KHz switches power both lnbs al the time. This causes extra heat in the tuner which in turn causes extra heat in the receiver. Not much of a way for a single tuner to use two lnbs at one time, so having both lnbs powered only ads heat to the receiver.

lme
01-21-2022, 01:23 PM
Use a 2 or 4 position diseqc switch if possible.
22 KHz switches power both lnbs al the time. This causes extra heat in the tuner which in turn causes extra heat in the receiver. Not much of a way for a single tuner to use two lnbs at one time, so having both lnbs powered only ads heat to the receiver.

I found on spare parts 2 chieta 4x1, with no serial #, but one is lighter then the other one !!! they're both marked "insertion loss:1.5dB". I assume that both are fake.
I also have 1 centauri 4x1, diseqc 2.0, insertion loss:6dB+/-3dB, made in europe. Witch one do you think ?

el bandido
01-21-2022, 01:56 PM
The Chieta 4x1 works good for me. One thing about the insertion loss is the lnb has a line amplifier to offset the switch and cable loses.

lme
01-21-2022, 02:32 PM
The Chieta 4x1 works good for me. One thing about the insertion loss is the lnb has a line amplifier to offset the switch and cable loses.

Is this good or bad ?

el bandido
01-21-2022, 03:14 PM
It is OK. The lnb line amplifier will take care of the insertion loss of wither switch. ;)

pa28pilot
02-22-2022, 05:42 PM
I know I'm late to this thread, but whenever I see someone mentioning satellite spacing issues, my first question is "How large is your reflector?"

At 12 GHz, for satellites in the FSS (fixed satellite service) using 11.7 to 12.2 GHz, a 1-meter dish can focus on one satellite while sufficiently rejecting signals from satellites 2 degrees away (with decent hardware). At 4 GHz, one needs a 3-meter dish. For the DBS service, which uses 12.2 to 12.7 GHz, the satellites are 9 degrees apart, which is why people can use tiny "pizza pans" without excessive adjacent satellite interference. They have to be that far apart because the DBS transponders are flamethrowers, relatively speaking, when compared with your typical FSS transponder.

Don't get me wrong, I lived for a long time with a 76cm offset dish and had a lot of fun. I also had a lot of rain fade.
Heck, I am being a mad scientist idiot and have a C/Ku feedhorn on my 1.2-meter dish right now just to see what I could see. It is definitely one of those "just because I can doesn't mean I should" situations. It was an experiment, and everything everyone told me about the RF has pretty much been validated.

Your typical DSNG uplink truck has something like a 1.8-meter carbon fiber dish on it.

This is more of a public service announcement, as I know a lot of people who get into FTA often try to push the margins of dish miniaturization.

If you have problems with adjacent satellite rejection, try a larger dish.

lme
02-23-2022, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the info, but I solve it.
my 10' mesh is good enough.