PDA

View Full Version : Edision OS mio+ 4K HDMI issue

videojanitor
04-14-2022, 04:36 PM
Hello! I posted this over on Satellite Guys and was told this might be a better place for it.

I purchased an Edision OS mio+ 4K a couple of weeks ago and I like it -- but I've run into an issue:

First, the HDMI output is not accepted by one of my other devices -- a Blackmagic Design Hyperdeck Studio HD Plus. The video cuts to black every couple of seconds or so, with no real pattern. This occurs when setting the Edision to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. The only mode I've found that works is 480i, but clearly that's of no value.

I also have an Amiko receiver, and the Blackmagic device has no problem with that.

On the flip side, I have another capture device -- a Hauppauge HD PVR -- that accepts the output from the Edision with no issues. So, it seems like there must be something about the output of the Edision that the Blackmagic recorder does not like, but I can't seem to any settings that will clear it up. I've tried other HDMI cables, etc. etc. to no avail.

Any thoughts appreciated!

MikeB
04-14-2022, 06:19 PM
Could it be a CEC issue? Does that Blackmagic Design Hyperdeck Studio device pass that through? Is CEC even turned on, on the Mio? I believe it's normally set to OFF, but I don't have the Mio +, so I'm not sure about that one.

What image are you using? If it does this in TNAP, have you tried a different image in one of the other 3 slots that are left?

Is this it?:
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

videojanitor
04-14-2022, 07:01 PM
Yes, the link you posted points to the device in question. I have CEC turned OFF in the Mio, and also experimented with other HDMI related settings, toggling each on and off and testing. No change.

The installed image is TNAP 4.1. I haven't tried other images as I've only had this receiver for two weeks and I'm still learning. I will do some reading and see if I can figure out how to do that.

el bandido
04-14-2022, 08:39 PM
Hello! I posted this over on Satellite Guys and was told this might be a better place for it.

I purchased an Edision OS mio+ 4K a couple of weeks ago and I like it -- but I've run into an issue:

First, the HDMI output is not accepted by one of my other devices -- a Blackmagic Design Hyperdeck Studio HD Plus. The video cuts to black every couple of seconds or so, with no real pattern. This occurs when setting the Edision to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. The only mode I've found that works is 480i, but clearly that's of no value.

I also have an Amiko receiver, and the Blackmagic device has no problem with that.

On the flip side, I have another capture device -- a Hauppauge HD PVR -- that accepts the output from the Edision with no issues. So, it seems like there must be something about the output of the Edision that the Blackmagic recorder does not like, but I can't seem to any settings that will clear it up. I've tried other HDMI cables, etc. etc. to no avail.

Any thoughts appreciated!

What is the model of the Amiko receiver?
What is the model of the Hauppauge HD PVR ?

TNAP images delete the 50Hz mode for most video formats. This was done because some users cannot control their receivers and end up in 50 Hz mode while connected to a 60Hz tv or monitor. So to make things easier, 50Hz modes were removed to make the receiver more user friendly in North America.

videojanitor
04-14-2022, 09:55 PM
The Amiko is the Mini 4K UHD S2X. The Hauppauge is the HD PVR 2.

I see the 50Hz option in the menu -- if I select that by accident (for instance, 1080i/50) the box reboots. I have it set at 720p/60, or 1080i/60. The Blackmagic recorder indicates that it is receiving those resolutions, but it is unhappy with something.

el bandido
04-15-2022, 05:06 AM
Does the box have an error when it reboots when using the 50Hz option?
You may see the 50Hz option in the menu, but for most resolutions, it is disabled.

There are three more slots in the receiver. Load a different image into another slot and test it. This is probably the easiest way to figure out the problem.

videojanitor
04-15-2022, 02:19 PM
Yes, an error comes as the box reboots. Pic of the message below.

As for the suggestion to load a different image in another slot for testing, that sounds like a good plan. First though I'll have to read-up on the topic. I spent 43 years working in television engineering, and have owned several C and Ku systems, but this receiver has a little bit of a learning curve.

el bandido
04-15-2022, 07:14 PM
That error can probably be fixed by editing one line of code in one file. So you have a choice of installing an edited file into the receiver or loading a different image. I can provide the edited file if you are comfortable installing it into the receiver. Or I can provide instructions on loading a different image. Either one is easy to do.
Loading the edited file will require telnet and FileZilla or other ftp program. Linux computers are easier than Windows

videojanitor
04-15-2022, 08:52 PM
I’m not concerned about the error when selecting 50Hz, as that’s not something I plan to do. I only discovered that when I selected 50Hz by accident.

If you’d like to provide instructions on how to load a different image (to troubleshoot the Blackmagic problem), that would be terrific. Many thanks in advance!

el bandido
04-15-2022, 09:33 PM
Have a Known-To-Be-Good USB drive of at least 1 GB in size.

Download the image in the link below and install it (zipped) onto the usb drive.

Do these steps:
(1) Insert usb drive with zipped image into the receiver. Restart the receiver so the drive will be recognized.You may verify the usb drive is seen by pressing Menu--->Information--->About. The usb drive information will be at the bottom of the About page.

(2)Exit to a channel, then press Menu--->Setup--->Flash image. Press OK button. Highlight and select Downloaded images. Highlight the image you downloaded and press OK.

(3) A drop-down menu should appear showing each slot twice. Select the slot you want to flash the new image to and make sure it has ",with backup" beside the slot number you want to flash.

(4) Press OK and the flash process should start.

(5) Once the image is flashed, you should have an option to boot to that slot in the drop-down box. Else exit to a channel, Press Menu--->Standby/restart--->Multiboot image selector and press OK.

(6) When the box boots to the newly installed image, it will ask questions about autorestore. Do absolutely nothing. Get up and leave. Come back in 5-10 minutes and the new image should be running on the last channel of your old image (TNAP).

The autorestore feature is fairly complete. TNAP is based on OpenPLi, so all of your information that is already in the receiver should transfer to the new image without errors. More or less, Flashing an image is automatic. OE alliance images are different. It is not suggested to auto restore an OE Alliance image using an OpenPLi backup or autorestore. You can restore an OE Alliance image with OpenPli type backup, but there will be errors.

videojanitor
04-15-2022, 10:10 PM
Very nice instructions— thanks! I’ll give that a try over the weekend and report the results.

videojanitor
04-16-2022, 02:49 PM
I was able to successfully install the image you provided. Sadly, it had no effect on the HDMI issue as far as the Blackmagic recorder is concerned. I tried 720p/60 and 1080/60. As before, no problem if the Edision is set to 480i/60.

If interested, here's a short video clip of the recorder's screen that visualizes the problem:

I'd guess that there's probably no setting that's going to resolve this -- it's likely just some kind of incompatibility between the two devices.

el bandido
04-16-2022, 03:46 PM
The video looks like a cabling problem to me. HDMI cables will do that exact same thing...

videojanitor
04-16-2022, 04:24 PM
I've tried several cables with the same result. All work OK if plugged into the Amiko, or other devices. But, I will experiment with a few others ...

MikeB
04-16-2022, 06:21 PM
I've tried several cables with the same result. All work OK if plugged into the Amiko, or other devices. But, I will experiment with a few others ...

I just had a thought, that may be worth trying. Do you have a powered HDMI switch laying around for test purposes? If so, install it between the Mio and the Blackmagic device, and see if that changes anything.

My thought is that it'll buffer the signal, and perhaps make it work. Or, you can purchase and try an ACTIVE Hdmi cable. They aren't the same as a simple passive cable.

el bandido
04-16-2022, 06:33 PM

Sounds like the cable is not the problem.
There should be a file named backup or similar that will be on the usb stick that you used to load the PLi image into a different slot. Please zip this file and post it here in this thread. I say this assuming you have no logins to facebook or similar websites while using the fta receiver.

videojanitor
04-16-2022, 07:06 PM
Nope, no Facebook, etc for me. Requested zip file with Backup folder attached. I appreciate the time you're spending to investigate this.

videojanitor
04-16-2022, 07:41 PM
I just had a thought, that may be worth trying. Do you have a powered HDMI switch laying around for test purposes? If so, install it between the Mio and the Blackmagic device, and see if that changes anything.

My thought is that it'll buffer the signal, and perhaps make it work. Or, you can purchase and try an ACTIVE Hdmi cable. They aren't the same as a simple passive cable.

Excellent thoughts. My HDMI switcher is a DVDO powered switch. I tried using that as a buffer, but same problem. I have some Monoprice active cables -- the type that have a "source" and "destination" end -- just tried one of those, but sadly, it didn't help.

I’ve thought about buying an HDMI-to-SDI converter, to feed the recorder via SDI, but I’m not sure it’s worth it to throw more money at this. May just cut my losses and use the Amiko.

el bandido
04-17-2022, 08:09 AM
Can you post clear pictures of the video settings in the Amiko??? Thanks.

videojanitor
04-17-2022, 02:15 PM
Here you go. I captured one while set to 1080i/60, and another when set to 720p/60. While doing so, I noted something of interest: The Blackmagic recorder indicates it's receiving 1080i/60 and 720p/60 from the Amiko, but 1080/59.94 and 720p/59.94 from the Edision. According to the Blackmagic specs, all those rates are supported, so *theoretically* shouldn't matter.

el bandido
04-17-2022, 05:29 PM
As a test, boot into the OpenPLi slot so you are running OpenPLi image. Then go into the audio/video settings and change the refresh rate to auto as shown below. Press the Green remote button to save the change.

videojanitor
04-17-2022, 05:53 PM
The test has been performance. No change.

videojanitor
04-19-2022, 05:55 PM
Just wanted to pop back in and thank you guys for trying to work through this problem. In my mind, this seems like a hardware-level issue between these two devices. In the end, it's not that big of a deal as I don't need to record very often -- I mostly use the receiver just to tune around and look for things of interest. Since it works fine with my TV, it serves that purpose just fine.

el bandido
04-20-2022, 08:05 AM
I would ask: Does this same problem exist when using webif?

It stands to reason that if the equipment works on the Amiko then it should work on the Edision. So we are probably missing some slight detail.

videojanitor
04-20-2022, 02:08 PM
Well, you have me at a bit of a disadvantage since I am so new to this receiver. I am aware of Webif and have played around with it a bit, but I'm not aware of how to use it to stream content from the Edision. I see a "WebTV" link that brings up something that LOOKS like it's for streaming, but selecting a channel and hitting "play" has no result. Does it need to be hooked into VLC or some other player? I'm using Safari on a Mac -- but I also have a Windows 10 machine if that's preferable for testing this.

clucas
04-20-2022, 11:15 PM
On my Mac I'm using Firefox. If you are able to access OpenWebif (in my case I have a link set up in Firefox as [Only registered and activated users can see links] but you may have to use something other than the "10") then you can go into your Favourites(TV) and then into bouquets. Once you do that there is a little TV like icon to the left of the channel name. That will start the stream but you DO have to have a media player installed. I have VLC and have used it in the past to stream the ABC 4:2:2 feeds. You may have to pick the right audio stream depending on the channel. I don't remember now but I think the first time I tried to stream I had to pick a default media player as it now starts my VLC when I start streaming. I just tested it on DWTV and it's still working fine.

videojanitor
04-21-2022, 02:12 PM
Hey clucas, thanks for the tip. Streaming to the Mac using Firefox and VLC worked like a charm. No issues at all.

clucas
04-21-2022, 04:41 PM
I'm sure Safari would work fine also if you prefer to use that.

The Webif is nice. You can arrange your bouquets, use the little remote on the left to get into the menus and you can take a snapshot of your screen in case someone asks your settings. Play around with it. Have fun.

videojanitor
04-27-2022, 08:02 PM
Just to add another data point to this, I picked up a Blackmagic HDMI-to-SDI converter, just to see if the results were any better. It's actually worse -- after conversion to SDI, there's no signal at all. Weird.

el bandido
04-27-2022, 10:04 PM
There is not anymore that can be done right now with your video problem because it seems currently no one else is using the same equipment that you have. It is good to post ALL information you can though. Maybe one day it can be solved or fixed.

videojanitor
04-28-2022, 06:46 PM
Thanks. I wasn't really expecting any further work to be done -- I was just adding an additional bit of data to the thread for those who might read it in the future. Without proper test equipment, it's going to be impossible to get a true diagnosis of the issue. The only thing I know for sure is that the Edision HDMI output is accepted by every TV and A/V receiver I have -- only the Blackmagic Design devices have a problem with it. I will try posting this information in their support forum.