PDA

View Full Version : Edision MIO RS232 Connection

ArloG
08-04-2023, 12:41 AM
Well dammit. Did it before. Now I have a brick. Help maybe?
My splash was openatv. Was for a long time. Tried to flash the Edision spalsh (just when the osmio4k boots).
After. It stuck on 50% booting like forever. I cut the power to it, pulled the USB. Plugged it back in.
Nothing. Blank screen. But something appears to be going on inside because the IR blaster lights up for a few seconds and my ASC1 display comes on until it times out.
Couldn't happen at a better time, huh!
Read around hear and there. Mainly here for an unbrick.
Tips from you EB on a serial, RS232 recovery. Yeah I plugged it in and hit the menu key on the remote rapidly. No joy.
May I say....CRAP!
Is there a method to try using the serial port. I didn't crack the receiver open to see if there is a pinout silkscreened. Is it a 3 pin port? Rx/Tx/Gnd?
If there is a way to try to bring life back in this critter. Is there a pinout available? And a guide to flash what I guess would be the bootloader? I have that on a stick ready to go.
That is if I can get a terminal at least connected. Baud rates, etc?
Unbelievable.

el bandido
08-04-2023, 04:18 AM
Please upload (post) the file(s) you tried to load. Check power supply.

ArloG
08-04-2023, 08:29 AM
The same file that worked some time back:
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

The PS checks fine and can supply adequate current. Of course you know that's the first place I went.

As mentioned. It was working just fine. When the USB was in. I booted it. It displayed boot and then flsh just like normal when loading an image.
Then went to 50% and hung for maybe 5 minutes. Before it was instant. I remember that.
Yeah even used another 12 vdc supply with the same specs. Known good.

It's morning now. Was unplugged from everything all night. Same deal. Plug it in and the ir blaster comes on for a few seconds and ASC1 display pops on. Box is dead, dead.

So. RS232 flash is mentioned. I need to make a cable. Yeah. I've flashed routers, hdd firmware.
They put the port on it. And mention 'for flashing firmware'. Is there a so, how do I do it anywhere at all?

I'd like to at least see if the cfe is still kicking. dammit. I'm positive here. But pissed. Just when the fat man raised prices and was considering a 4k+.

el bandido
08-04-2023, 09:59 AM
RS232 connection settings are standard. 115200 for the baud rate, then leave everything else at default. I use RS232 at times for debugging. Before you try RS232, check and see if the receiver is trying to make a network connection. i doubt it is with no display lights on the front, but check for network connection first by doing a search with the receiver connected.

RS232 connections on the MIO receivers are made using an audio type plug. You probably only need TX, RX, and GND.

ArloG
08-04-2023, 10:19 AM
RS232 connection settings are standard. 115200 for the baud rate, then leave everything else at default. I use RS232 at times for debugging. Before you try RS232, check and see if the receiver is trying to make a network connection. i doubt it is with no display lights on the front, but check for network connection first by doing a search with the receiver connected.

RS232 connections on the MIO receivers are made using an audio type plug. You probably only need TX, RX, and GND.

Exactly. Nope no network, no putty login. I was searching for the loader tool if there is one. Obviously there is someplace.
And using a lan scanner application. Nothing. The Ethernet port looks dead with no flashy led's. Since it's dead I don't think a crossover cable will even help.
Looking at different 1/8" tip/ring/sleeve, trs, rs232 wiring schemes.
Some have the tx at tip, others rx at tip. and some use no ground but use the cts on the sleeve. And then others have the tx/rx wires tied to the same point either on the tip or ring.
yaaaaaa!!!
Perhaps a pad on the board. I dunno. But a loader to blow in binaries. And if the bootloader is corrupt or just the image firmware.
EB you might know that. If an image is borked do we still get the boot display? Or can a puked image also make for a dead display?

I mean. For now I do have a Zgemma H7. Probably could have an equal to a mio4k+ if I could make a decision and find one. Or a TBS card came to mind also. What the hell, right? 2 ports is all I would really need. Thoughts on one that doesn't cost an arm and a liver until I get the serial flash method and procedure for the mio sorted?
<cussing bad stuff under my breath with a positive attitude. lol!

Edit:
Pls don't get peed. I might hit up satuni and ask them . I brace myself for abuse. You know....programmers and soap boxes.

Megatron817
08-04-2023, 10:43 AM
Exactly. Nope no network, no putty login. I was searching for the loader tool if there is one. Obviously there is someplace.
And using a lan scanner application. Nothing. The Ethernet port looks dead with no flashy led's. Since it's dead I don't think a crossover cable will even help.
Looking at different 1/8" tip/ring/sleeve, trs, rs232 wiring schemes.
Some have the tx at tip, others rx at tip. and some use no ground but use the cts on the sleeve. And then others have the tx/rx wires tied to the same point either on the tip or ring.
yaaaaaa!!!
Perhaps a pad on the board. I dunno. But a loader to blow in binaries. And if the bootloader is corrupt or just the image firmware.
EB you might know that. If an image is borked do we still get the boot display? Or can a puked image also make for a dead display?

I mean. For now I do have a Zgemma H7. Probably could have an equal to a mio4k+ if I could make a decision and find one. Or a TBS card came to mind also. What the hell, right? 2 ports is all I would really need. Thoughts on one that doesn't cost an arm and a liver until I get the serial flash method and procedure for the mio sorted?
<cussing bad stuff under my breath with a positive attitude. lol!

Edit:
Pls don't get peed. I might hit up satuni and ask them . I brace myself for abuse. You know....programmers and soap boxes.

Did you try the usb emmc flash? Extract the Tnap 5 usb image to a flash drive then open it and rename noforce file to force.

ArloG
08-04-2023, 12:27 PM
No joy. Renamed noforce to force. Sent to a fresh formatted USB that I know is good.
USB in, power plugged in. Nothing. Only thing is the right amber led on the Ethernet port lights for a few seconds.
Dead display. Tried punching the menu key on the remote when plugging in.
Tried the trusty old Linux router 30/30/30 trik. Nope.
Power supply putting out 12.22 VDC no load. A #192 bulb lights ok and voltage holds.
2 in parallel still light up ok. So ps is good.
She's dead. I think it has to do with the bootloader. And a serial flash is the last resort.
I know things happen.Deal with other peoples things every day. So not pointing fingers, but sure it wasn't me.
Crazy they put the port on it but don't document it. Stupid crazy.

Megatron817
08-04-2023, 01:13 PM
No joy. Renamed noforce to force. Sent to a fresh formatted USB that I know is good.
USB in, power plugged in. Nothing. Only thing is the right amber led on the Ethernet port lights for a few seconds.
Dead display. Tried punching the menu key on the remote when plugging in.
Tried the trusty old Linux router 30/30/30 trik. Nope.
Power supply putting out 12.22 VDC no load. A #192 bulb lights ok and voltage holds.
2 in parallel still light up ok. So ps is good.
She's dead. I think it has to do with the bootloader. And a serial flash is the last resort.
I know things happen.Deal with other peoples things every day. So not pointing fingers, but sure it wasn't me.
Crazy they put the port on it but don't document it. Stupid crazy.

You lucky you got the usage out of the Mio that you got. Quite a few reports of failure over the last years. I've had two non plus Mio's go here as well.

el bandido
08-04-2023, 06:22 PM
It would be a good idea to see if any output can be seen through the RS232 port. Mainstream RS232 support for FTA receivers disappeared almost entirely around 10 years ago. Most home computers that have been made in the past ten years do not have a RS232 port, which means usb to RS232 adapters are needed. A lot of people have had problems with usb to RS232 adapters, especially using Windows operating system. Linux usually automatically finds and loads the needed drivers for usb to RS232 adapters, but usually not so with Windows.

There are cables available or used to be available on Ebay that will give a RS232 connection for the MIO receivers, but which one to buy can be a crap-shoot. I own several phone jack to RS232 cables, and RJ11 to RS232. Plus I have had to build several for different FTA receivers.

If you don't have the correct cable, then you will need to buy or make one.
It is possible to wire a RS232 cable where it shows data but will not accept data.
Then you have the null and straight issue where TX and RX need to be crossed. Almost all FTA receivers made within the last ten years are set for RX and TX to be crossed for cloning.

Trying to figure out wiring for RS232 connections on an injured receiver can be a challenge because you have no idea if the RS232 port is working. But usually only 3 wires are needed: RX. TX, GND. Understand where these three connections are on the computer. then all you have to do is figure out where they go on the receiver. Opening up the MIO may give a clue as to the order of the wiring. Sometimes the PC boards are labeled Otherwise, insert a phone jack into the back of the receiver and start going through the possible combinations. The receiver will have to be restarted every time a new combination is tested.

The cable I use for MIO RS232 plugs directly into the receiver and computer. Life is easier with a built-in RS232 port on the computer. Some RS232 usb adapters are straight while others are null. The RS232 connection in 2023 is beyond the capability of the average user, so very little information is available for it. A bootloader for the MIO exists in a download. But there are no instructions for installing it through RS232.

I cannot recall trashing a bootloader on an enigma2 receiver. I have been using enigma2 receivers for a good 10 years and am very rough on them. I also collect them. Usually when the bootloader quits in an enigma2 receiver, there was some other problem besides the bootloader. This is part of the enigma2 receiver that is hard to destroy.

ArloG
08-04-2023, 09:30 PM
Thanks. Most of what you stated is what I deal with a lot.
Couple of things. Since it looks like you have a cable that works would you be able to use a multimeter and check if we have the following. The DB9 shell pins should be marked whether M or F.
Pin 5 is ground and is probably the sleeve (closest to the molded housing and cord) of the 1/8" plug.
And what about pin 2, TXD and pin 3, RXD.
Which would be connected to the tip and which to the ring? No chance 2&3 are connected to the same place. Surprised me when I saw the different wiring schemes for them.
I have an Arduino which is great for serial flashes. And the FTDI cable that came with the ASC1. Both never fail.

Also I have to ask. You're obviously familiar with using the cable with the mio.
What do you use it for and what applications do you run when using it?
TFTP? Terminal session? Have you ever flashed an image using the port or bits of anything to the mio? Oh yeah. What baud rate so i don't get immediate gibberish.

In the morning I will tell if I can get any life out of the port. Usually just a switch of tx/rx lines if no coms (if it's gonna work) and then the bootloader sings out it's little song when powered up.

el bandido
08-04-2023, 10:35 PM
As already said, the baud rate is 115200 and everything else is default.
RS232 is useful for debugging. You can see usually where and why the receiver stopped. And many times file errors will be shown. RS232 was recently used to help solve the ATSC usb tuner problem in Octagon and other receivers. RS232 output is similar to the telnet debugging commands: init 4 && enigma2.

A sample RS232 debugging log is attached. The information is not useful to most people that own FTA receivers. It is possible to transfer small files through RS232, but that is not something I normally do. The files have to be small...

I can give you a pinout of my cable sometime tomorrow. I don't have the needed tools with me now. And if I remember right, two of the four pins on my cable are connected to GND. (Not 100% on this.)

This thread needs to be split.

el bandido
08-05-2023, 08:45 PM
Only 3 wires needed for RS232 connection. The tip of the phono connector is referred to as tip, then 2, 3, 4 as my phono plug has 4 positions.

pin 3 = Tip (1)
pin 5 = 2
pin 2 = 3
pin 5 = 4

Pins 3, 2, and 5 are used on the computer's RS 232 port.
Pin 3 = TX
Pin 2 = RX
Pin 5 = GND

TX is on the tip, GND is on 2 & 4, RX is on 3. If it doesn't work, swap RX and TX first. Receiver will need to be UN-powered and powered each time to see the RS232 output.

ArloG
08-06-2023, 07:21 AM
You know what?
You're a good man. Will move this to a new thread as I progress. Or not.
Hoping to get it running again and maybe it will help others.
Thanks again.

el bandido
08-06-2023, 07:26 AM
No need to start another thread. I will simply split this one in time.

el bandido
08-07-2023, 10:56 AM
Is there any data on the rs232 port???

ArloG
08-07-2023, 08:21 PM
So far here's what I have.

TIP: RX From receiver to cable
Ring 1: Ground
Ring 2: TX from receiver to cable
Sleeve: Ground

I think that matches what you wrote.
My FTDI cable went south. Tried to pull the recent positions from my ASC1 to store to a file. No response. Confused me.
Connected pin 2&3 of the DB9 and tried a loopback test. Then took a peek on my scope. No TX. So waiting a few replacements.
Win 11 tried to obsolete the Prolific chipset anyway and had to force older drivers. The ones coming are advertised to be ok with 11.
I do have a Linux laptop with DB9. Just too lazy to dig out a cable and fashion an "octopus" for it.

But. On the better side. I am able to see a data stream on the scope from ring 2. 5 data bursts when plugging the receiver in. Quite complex. Then it settles down.
No change when pressing the power button. Nothing when spraying it with IR from the remote. No change with a USB loaded with an image.
Located the Winbond SPI NOR flash. Promising. Last ditch is pull it and do a dump/compare. Bios flashing motherboards saves them usually when they come in bricked.

Satuni gives no response. Edision.gr support replied. Suggested I contact developers. And pointed me to the wrong 3 contact cable.
The tuner driver query back when impressed me. Not knowing how to use the com port to restore it is a big bummer.
The data burst shows me something is happening. So. Let's see.

el bandido
08-07-2023, 08:53 PM
The three contact cable is probably correct. I have a three contact cable somewhere that shows data. You only need three anyway, RX, TX, and GND. One of my receivers actually shipped with the correct serial cable.

A FTDI cable should be TTL, which is looking for 5 volts. If so, That cable is wrong. The best thing to have is a computer with a real DB9 serial port. Windows usb to serial connectors may/may not work as Windows is particular about drivers for the thing. Some usb to serial cables are TTL, but you don't find out this tidbit until you try to use it.

TX, GND, RX OR RX, GND, TX. One of those two should work when connected to real serial port.

ArloG
08-08-2023, 09:39 AM
Actually good points. Since the cable I had that Brian shipped with the ASC1 worked great for a few years. Pretty sure it was adhering to specs.
Looking further into the actual FTDI chips it looks like they auto negotiate voltages . Either 3.3 or 5V. Cool so far.
But a great time to measure peak to peak on what the short bursts are coming form the mio board.
I'm on a mission to try and save it. Too bad these stb guys don't follow router manufacturers like Asus and Netgear, Linksys and make them basically unbrickable.
Anyways. Located the Samsung emmc chip under the smart card slot and identified it. Just a bit giddy in methods to dump and flash binaries.
If in fact the factory boot screen flash hung and borked it. 100% positive it did. Dumping it and comparing it to the one intended to flash seems the way to go.
It's hard to believe that Edision ships out blank boxes and it's up to developers to burn an os.
And harder to believe they point out the port in the manual but have 0 support on how to use it.
Which was exactly what was stated in the reply to the email I got. In a very nice way, of course.

el bandido
08-08-2023, 10:55 AM
No voltage is used period. Only 3 pins, RX, TX, GND. This is why RS232 is written on the receiver port.

For some reason, you have decided that the bootloader is gone. So you are basing everything else on that assumption. Destroying a boorloader in a HEALTHY enigma2 receiver is a very hard thing to do. You have to work at it. This is why you don't see any bootloader support because it rarely happens. In some 10 years of playing with enigma2 receivers, my destroyed bootloader score in a healthy receiver is 0, (except for an AzBox which I say should not count).

Edision receivers are not shipped to be sold "blank". They are shipped with OpenATV on them. Can't remember the make/model, but seems I had one enigma2 receiver delivered without an image in it, which was sort of spooky. Most enigm2 receivers are shipped with OpenATV or their custom image.

Any fta receiver that has RS232 connection on the outside of the box usually mentions it. RS232 ports are not normally used as a means of file recovery. JTAG is the normal recovery method. RS232 is mainly used for reading data. The average person has no clue about RS232, and this may be why it is not mentioned in detail in receiver literature.

Transistor Transistor Logic or TTL is not the same as RS232.

Megatron817
08-08-2023, 12:36 PM
Most of the Mio4k failures reported is the box has power and front display lights up but just wont start enigma2 or has an hdmi problem. I don't think any were boot loader related. That is what happened to mine. The one I have with the hdmi problem displays no video at all where others have reported the splash screen shows but no video after boot so that tells me different failures with different chips. I am no expert.

ArloG
08-08-2023, 01:12 PM
EB. Of course the data rides on a positive/negative voltage. A flat line could contain no bitstream information. The same as if you look at the DISEqC protocol.
The original RS232 specs called for -3 to 15 volts/ +3 to 15 volts. Now usually the modulated square wave rides at either +/- 3 or 5 VDC peak to peak. That I know.
To flash routers, HDD firmware, and on occasion Nvidia GPU's to tweak them for Mac repairs. Yup. Apple takes a standard, every day video card and mods the firmware to work in their pc's.
And if on a Saturday evening your Mac blows the video card, the genius store closes, and you hit the computer store for a new card. It won't work right. Things like power management, overheating happens. Once you dig out the correct firmware and burn it in the card. It plays nice. I hate Apple anything.
Anyway. To do most of that I've used the serial console and an Arduino for serial flashing.

I don't think the bootloader is gone now since I get data stream bursts on the TX line.
But If the boot screen image binary is in fact corrupted for some reason, I could pull that image file and run a binary compare to what is in the flash image and, remember. When Openatv wrote it's own, running the USB Edision boot screen flash did work in the past.
FYI. If you dig up that flash file and change the .bin file to .bmp. It opens right up on your pc and there you have it. The Edision logo I was looking for.

And yeah. I have a Dreamlink and Linkbox with DB9 ports and have actually serial flashed them in the past. I think I used TFTP for that.

Don't really know how you sweet-talked Edision for the tuner drivers you worked on for the Mio. But when I contacted them they were eager to give me some to try and report on.
Maybe you have the ability to get in touch and have a little influence.

I'll let this set idle until it;s time for a bottle of Advil. But one thing for sure. You see little pokey-hole ports on lots of things. In the book it says for future expansion or not used.
But when someone says for recovery explicitly in the user manual and provides no info on how to use it. Thats effed up.

el bandido
08-08-2023, 02:34 PM
Keep things simple. It's easier that way. Forget about voltages. Forget about what happened to some router somewhere. Just remember RX, TX, and GND. Connect the three wires in the correct order from the computer's serial port to the Edision's RS232 port and post the data output. Then we can see what needs to be done.

:smoke:

MikeB
08-08-2023, 08:17 PM
Most of the Mio4k failures reported is the box has power and front display lights up but just wont start enigma2 or has an hdmi problem. I don't think any were boot loader related. That is what happened to mine. The one I have with the hdmi problem displays no video at all where others have reported the splash screen shows but no video after boot so that tells me different failures with different chips. I am no expert.

My original one had a bootloader problem that just came out of nowhere. EB and I couldn't fix it after trying quite a few things, and luckily, it still had two months warranty to go. So, Brian of Titanium sent me a new one. Haven't had any issues with the replacement so far.

el bandido
08-08-2023, 09:25 PM
My original one had a bootloader problem that just came out of nowhere.r.

If you are referring to the problem in the thread shown below, Then you Did Not have a bootloader problem.

Some of this stuff probably needs probably needs clarifying.
The bootloader in most enigma2 receivers will be right at the front of the start process. If the Bootloader doesn't start, Nothing Happens. No putty for Windows users, No RS232 data, no nuthin'. I posted an example file a while back so you could see how things load. The bootloader version is referenced on line#3, and is described in detail starting with line#78. So RS232 is not going to show much of anything if the bootloader is Not Working.

Enigma2 receivers are not setup the same way ALI receivers and Closed Source appliance type fta receivers are setup. The bootloader in the enigma2 receiver is separate and does not get corrupted in the same way Linkbox and Ali receivers do. You don't drag out a loader and flash a bin file like you do on Linkbox and Ali receivers either. Usually when the bootloader dies in an enigma2 receiver, there was a hardware issue that caused it OR some idiot loaded the wrong bootloader for the receiver in the hopes of changing something. We are all idiots at some point as that is how you learn.

MikeB
08-09-2023, 05:32 PM
If you are referring to the problem in the thread shown below, Then you Did Not have a bootloader problem.

Some of this stuff probably needs probably needs clarifying.
The bootloader in most enigma2 receivers will be right at the front of the start process. If the Bootloader doesn't start, Nothing Happens. No putty for Windows users, No RS232 data, no nuthin'. I posted an example file a while back so you could see how things load. The bootloader version is referenced on line#3, and is described in detail starting with line#78. So RS232 is not going to show much of anything if the bootloader is Not Working.

Enigma2 receivers are not setup the same way ALI receivers and Closed Source appliance type fta receivers are setup. The bootloader in the enigma2 receiver is separate and does not get corrupted in the same way Linkbox and Ali receivers do. You don't drag out a loader and flash a bin file like you do on Linkbox and Ali receivers either. Usually when the bootloader dies in an enigma2 receiver, there was a hardware issue that caused it OR some idiot loaded the wrong bootloader for the receiver in the hopes of changing something. We are all idiots at some point as that is how you learn.

Right from Brian, who got permission from Edision themselves for warranty replacement after he sent them some data he pulled from my old receiver:

Quote from his email:

"Hello Michael,

Edision has approved for warranty replacement. This is likely a boot loader failure.

Will ship out a replacement STB tomorrow. Sorry for the delay."

--
Best Regards!
Titanium Satellite Support - Brian Gohl - AI6US
Telephone: +1 (530) 652-4405

Megatron817
08-09-2023, 05:38 PM
Right from Brian, who got permission from Edision themselves for warranty replacement after he sent them some data he pulled from my old receiver:

Quote from his email:

"Hello Michael,

Edision has approved for warranty replacement. This is likely a boot loader failure.

Will ship out a replacement STB tomorrow. Sorry for the delay."

--
Best Regards!
Titanium Satellite Support - Brian Gohl - AI6US
Telephone: +1 (530) 652-4405

Remember the telnet log showed no frame buffer. So the Mio4k did boot up, just wouldn't start enigma2. My first Mio4k did the same thing and I was thinking it was probably a Video memory problem but I really don't know.

el bandido
08-09-2023, 05:55 PM
I operate under the policy that anything is possible. Would like someone to explain how the bootloader is dead and the receiver boots. You had a hardware failure of some type, but your bootloader was alive.

If you can get files out of the receiver or read files that are in the receiver, the bootloader has to be doing something. This would be similar to someone saying "The BIOS is dead in my Windows computer, but it still boots and I can read files". If the bootloader is dead in an enigma2 fta receiver, you are not going to get the word "Boot" or anything else displayed on the screen. The bootloader is the first thing to start. Look at the log that is in this thread.

ArloG
08-09-2023, 07:00 PM
Oh. Don't get all uppity now. lol.
I didn't have a hardware failure. All happened while attempting to get the stinkin' factory boot screen back.
Instead of the openatv logo that precluded every image splash screen in every slot. Including your incantation. Which is pretty by the way.
But yours doesn't write the boot screen.
A man familiar more with programming than fixing the stuff that you program software for would more likely think.....
"Hmmm....openatv....cold booting the receiver.....and what used to be the factory boot logo.....is now their branded one. WTF??"
Yeah? Right? I mean. There's a file here to fix it. And it works.
Maybe I have a glitchy bit or 6 on my USB?? Maybe I need to either do the equivalent of scandisc? And identify bad bits and mark them
Or (and I hesitate these things in forums) put on the heaviest boots with the hardest heels I got and stomp the muddafukka' !!!

Nope. No "Boot". Zip, zilch, zingo. After the flash process of restoring the boot logo sailed thru.

Dude. I'm doing a crash course here. I ain't no programmer. And what do they do? Write "perfect code" every time, all the time. And anything that happens is the user's fault.
I got an issue. Nobody has a clue. Not one iota here. How to use the serial interface to do nuttin'.
But I axed. And together maybe we will learn something.
Did you get curious and slap your cable in a box hanging around the lab there and see what boot text you get in a terminal? I will when my cable comes in.
Did I learn anything today? I learned that Microsoft itself is writing code to disable FTDI chips in firmware. And in an attempt to bork chinaclone, fake chips. Are killing legitimate FTDI cables, dongles.
And the good guys are circumventing it by providing firmware to burn to make them work again.
Yeah.

And a little story. For you.
Years ago in my previous career. A software update came out. Mandatory. For postal sorting equipment. As a mail presorting facility adhering to USPS rules and regulations. The software was date stamped.
No rolling back. After a certain date, older versions would not work.
Like a good guy. I did my duties. One machine refused to play nice. Hours, days, capturing logs, emailing, on the phone. Engineers and software engineers saying they 'never heard of that'. Referring to the thing that was happening.
And as you may have hinted. I was the idiot. I was crazy.
The oweer, CEO. The guy I answered to. The one who asked me once how everything was running. With the reply of.
I'm your Ex-Lax. With a twisted look back from him.
"I keep your shit running".
So he lividly called the company who vended the software and supported the machinery and had a senior engineer next flighted out from Houston.
Jeff. Cool dude. Had one of those English driving caps...what are they called? For every day of the week. Quiet but smarter than who knows.
And as he rolls in he heads to the machine and starts on it immediately. In a bit duplicated the glitch.
And was as puzzled as me. Looking at me once in awhile with that wtf look.
So, Jeff. Am I stupid? Am I crazy? Because that's what <insert name of the yaznook engineer here> said to me rudely.
....He got demoted because it was in a conference call and verboten. But I could take it!
Kind of apologetically responded. Nope, not at all.
And the Ex-Lax eventually kicked in and the damned software played nice after a few logs and .dll patches.

Have a beer. Fire that bird up and go for a blast. A quarter tank oughtta' do it. Damn. Spin one up if that's what it takes.

Brick or no brick? That is the question.
I gotta' go listen to my bangles tapes. lol.

Megatron817
08-09-2023, 07:42 PM
Oh. Don't get all uppity now. lol.
I didn't have a hardware failure. All happened while attempting to get the stinkin' factory boot screen back.
Instead of the openatv logo that precluded every image splash screen in every slot. Including your incantation. Which is pretty by the way.
But yours doesn't write the boot screen.
A man familiar more with programming than fixing the stuff that you program software for would more likely think.....
"Hmmm....openatv....cold booting the receiver.....and what used to be the factory boot logo.....is now their branded one. WTF??"
Yeah? Right? I mean. There's a file here to fix it. And it works.
Maybe I have a glitchy bit or 6 on my USB?? Maybe I need to either do the equivalent of scandisc? And identify bad bits and mark them
Or (and I hesitate these things in forums) put on the heaviest boots with the hardest heels I got and stomp the muddafukka' !!!

Nope. No "Boot". Zip, zilch, zingo. After the flash process of restoring the boot logo sailed thru.

Dude. I'm doing a crash course here. I ain't no programmer. And what do they do? Write "perfect code" every time, all the time. And anything that happens is the user's fault.
I got an issue. Nobody has a clue. Not one iota here. How to use the serial interface to do nuttin'.
But I axed. And together maybe we will learn something.
Did you get curious and slap your cable in a box hanging around the lab there and see what boot text you get in a terminal? I will when my cable comes in.
Did I learn anything today? I learned that Microsoft itself is writing code to disable FTDI chips in firmware. And in an attempt to bork chinaclone, fake chips. Are killing legitimate FTDI cables, dongles.
And the good guys are circumventing it by providing firmware to burn to make them work again.
Yeah.

And a little story. For you.
Years ago in my previous career. A software update came out. Mandatory. For postal sorting equipment. As a mail presorting facility adhering to USPS rules and regulations. The software was date stamped.
No rolling back. After a certain date, older versions would not work.
Like a good guy. I did my duties. One machine refused to play nice. Hours, days, capturing logs, emailing, on the phone. Engineers and software engineers saying they 'never heard of that'. Referring to the thing that was happening.
And as you may have hinted. I was the idiot. I was crazy.
The oweer, CEO. The guy I answered to. The one who asked me once how everything was running. With the reply of.
I'm your Ex-Lax. With a twisted look back from him.
"I keep your shit running".
So he lividly called the company who vended the software and supported the machinery and had a senior engineer next flighted out from Houston.
Jeff. Cool dude. Had one of those English driving caps...what are they called? For every day of the week. Quiet but smarter than who knows.
And as he rolls in he heads to the machine and starts on it immediately. In a bit duplicated the glitch.
And was as puzzled as me. Looking at me once in awhile with that wtf look.
So, Jeff. Am I stupid? Am I crazy? Because that's what <insert name of the yaznook engineer here> said to me rudely.
....He got demoted because it was in a conference call and verboten. But I could take it!
Kind of apologetically responded. Nope, not at all.
And the Ex-Lax eventually kicked in and the damned software played nice after a few logs and .dll patches.

Have a beer. Fire that bird up and go for a blast. A quarter tank oughtta' do it. Damn. Spin one up if that's what it takes.

Brick or no brick? That is the question.
I gotta' go listen to my bangles tapes. lol.

It is also possible there was a hardware failure during that boot up after that splash screen flash. You said it started booting then hung at 50%. That tells me enigma 2 was starting but something happened.

ArloG
08-09-2023, 08:13 PM

Nor flash or EMMC ? Destination?

ArloG
08-11-2023, 07:11 PM

Nor flash or EMMC ? Destination?

el bandido
08-11-2023, 08:30 PM
Good recovery link, but it's Putting the cart before the horse. Sort of like window shopping without any money.

It all starts with making the RS232 connection and reading the data (if any). If you don't have RS232 capability, then it is hard to get any further with the recovery process...

Almost all of the recovery stuff is going to be at least 20-30 years old. A Good Computer with a real com port, running Windows XP is usually a very good tool for running the needed recovery programs,

el bandido
08-11-2023, 10:37 PM
At least use the proper window for window shopping:

The Vu+ Zero4K has some common hardware with the Edisison MIO receivers The Zgemma H7 does not.
Vu+ Zero4K takes 3 wires (TX,RX,GND) for a RS232 connection, which is the same as the Edision MIO. The Zgemma H7 is TTL.
Pay attention to the window you shop from, else there may be extra problems to solve!

Properly connect three little wires to get RS232 started.
You may break the boot sequence if both TX and RX is working. Once the boot sequence is broken, you may type help to see what commands are available. A RS232 log showing the available commands is attached if anyone cares to look.

ArloG
08-14-2023, 12:49 PM
Okay. And what a headache
Managed to get a serial console. And a ctrl+c to break the boot.
Yes. The bootloader looks like it works but hangs on the bad boot logo image.
And now the task is to get the bad image out and a good one in.
Looking at what I assumed was just the Edision logo is not the right one.
The one needed is 720 X 576 pixels and 1.28MB in size.
The one written is over 8 megs and is funky. It's apparently an HD image that is too big for the nor flash.
That's shown in the boot capture.

The task is to not worry how or why it happened. But to replace it with the correct one.
I have a massive headache from searching for the BOLT manual. Nothing.
After I broke boot with ctrl-c in putty, tried typing help. No characters in the screen (help).
The first thing you would do. Perhaps another terminal program?

Anyway. I need an Advil break. But a few things to ponder over and see is someone has a brainstorm.
You will see the message in the boot capture files. And I included both osmio4k USB files with the logos names renamed from .bin to .bmp so you can see what happened. I have not a clue.

The receiver is at least not bricked, dead. But no USB stick in it will do anything and no indication one is found in the log.
Unless somebody sees something I do.

Megatron817
08-14-2023, 02:38 PM
Okay. And what a headache
Managed to get a serial console. And a ctrl+c to break the boot.
Yes. The bootloader looks like it works but hangs on the bad boot logo image.
And now the task is to get the bad image out and a good one in.
Looking at what I assumed was just the Edision logo is not the right one.
The one needed is 720 X 576 pixels and 1.28MB in size.
The one written is over 8 megs and is funky. It's apparently an HD image that is too big for the nor flash.
That's shown in the boot capture.

The task is to not worry how or why it happened. But to replace it with the correct one.
I have a massive headache from searching for the BOLT manual. Nothing.
After I broke boot with ctrl-c in putty, tried typing help. No characters in the screen (help).
The first thing you would do. Perhaps another terminal program?

Anyway. I need an Advil break. But a few things to ponder over and see is someone has a brainstorm.
You will see the message in the boot capture files. And I included both osmio4k USB files with the logos names renamed from .bin to .bmp so you can see what happened. I have not a clue.

The receiver is at least not bricked, dead. But no USB stick in it will do anything and no indication one is found in the log.
Unless somebody sees something I do.

Yea I'm not so sure it is stuck on a bad splash logo. If that was the case it would have never booted up trying so start enigma2 and stuck at 50% after the flash of splash image I wouldn't think.
I know I dislike when things break but it is not worth getting a headache over. I look at it as it lasted four and a half years and plenty of enjoyment during that time so it is time for an upgrade anyway. Unfortunate that the Plus model is sold out so an alternative would be the Mini4k or maybe an Octagon SF8008.

el bandido
08-14-2023, 02:57 PM
Now maybe you see why this is not supported???

Let's move on.

What slot are you in or do you know?
What other slots have active images in them?

Hopefully this will not be bad to get out of. But it needs to be understood what is in the receiver and where if possible.

Get a blank usb stick that you know it is good. Download the usb.zip file from here: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

Unzip the usb.zip file to the osmio4k folder. Verify that there are four files inside the osmio4k folder:
emmc.img
imageversion
noforce
-splash.bin

Change noforce to force:
emmc.img
imageversion
force
-splash.bin

Place the properly prepared usb stick that has the osmio4k folder with the four prepared files shown above into the receiver, and try a reboot. Don't break the boot sequence on console or anything. Just place the properly prepared folder into the receiver, reboot and post the output.

What we do next will depend on the output, and what images (slots) are active in the receiver.

el bandido
08-14-2023, 03:40 PM
Two things we are looking for.
(1) The usb to be recognized in the receiver as shown below.
(2) The BOLT> identification to be shown at the end of the output as shown below.

Note:
The receiver may decide to load the prepared image at anytime after the usb drive is installed in the receiver. Verify on your tv screen that the image is not loading every time the receiver is rebooted after the usb is inserted. There will be little if any output on the console from the usb image loading and installing. If the image install is interrupted, then we may have a new set of problems! Watch the tv output BEFORE removing power when that usb is in the receiver!!!

el bandido
08-14-2023, 03:43 PM
Try to enter this command and post the output:
load emmcflash0.kernel1 root=/dev/mmcblk1p3

Should look like this in the console before pressing enter. If it doesn't something is wrong.
BOLT> load emmcflash0.kernel1 root=/dev/mmcblk1p3

el bandido
08-14-2023, 04:01 PM
The splash screen will not be found in a normal search of the image files because it resides on a disc in the /dev folder of receiver files. The /dev folder in the receiver is a very delicate place to be. I don't suggest transferring, copying or doing anything else in this folder because the end result may be a receiver that will not start.

The splash file along with its location is shown below:

TNAP 5 osmio4k

osmio4k login: root
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 10, 235 Dec 31 1969 autofs
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 500 Dec 31 1969 block
crw------- 1 root root 10, 125 Dec 31 1969 brcmstb
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 80 Dec 31 1969 bsg
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60 Dec 31 1969 bus
crw------- 1 root root 10, 123 Dec 31 1969 bvc5
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Dec 31 1969 cdrom -> sr0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4460 Dec 31 1969 char
crw------- 1 root root 5, 1 Aug 14 17:47 console
crw------- 1 root root 10, 127 Dec 31 1969 cpu_dma_latency
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 60 Dec 31 1969 dbox
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 160 Dec 31 1969 disk
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60 Dec 31 1969 dvb
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 60 Dec 31 1969 fb
crw-rw---- 1 root video 29, 0 Dec 31 1969 fb0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Dec 31 1969 fd -> /proc/self/fd
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 7 Dec 31 1969 full
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 10, 229 Dec 31 1969 fuse
crw------- 1 root root 254, 0 Dec 31 1969 gpiochip0
crw------- 1 root root 254, 1 Dec 31 1969 gpiochip1
crw------- 1 root root 254, 2 Dec 31 1969 gpiochip2
crw------- 1 root root 254, 3 Dec 31 1969 gpiochip3
crw------- 1 root root 254, 4 Dec 31 1969 gpiochip4
crw------- 1 root root 10, 122 Dec 31 1969 hdmi_cec
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 120 Dec 31 1969 i2c
crw------- 1 root root 89, 0 Dec 31 1969 i2c-0
crw------- 1 root root 89, 1 Dec 31 1969 i2c-1
crw------- 1 root root 89, 2 Dec 31 1969 i2c-2
crw------- 1 root root 89, 3 Dec 31 1969 i2c-3
prw------- 1 root root 0 Dec 31 1969 initctl
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 140 Dec 31 1969 input
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 1, 11 Dec 31 1969 kmsg
crw------- 1 root root 10, 124 Dec 31 1969 lcd0
srw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 Dec 31 1969 log
crw-rw---- 1 root disk 10, 237 Dec 31 1969 loop-control
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 7, 0 Dec 31 1969 loop0
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 7, 1 Dec 31 1969 loop1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 7, 2 Dec 31 1969 loop2
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 7, 3 Dec 31 1969 loop3
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 7, 4 Dec 31 1969 loop4
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 7, 5 Dec 31 1969 loop5
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 7, 6 Dec 31 1969 loop6
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 7, 7 Dec 31 1969 loop7
crw-r----- 1 root kmem 1, 1 Dec 31 1969 mem
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 280 Dec 31 1969 misc
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 179, 0 Dec 31 1969 mmcblk1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 179, 8 Dec 31 1969 mmcblk1boot0
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 179, 16 Dec 31 1969 mmcblk1boot1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 179, 1 Dec 31 1969 mmcblk1p1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 179, 2 Dec 31 1969 mmcblk1p2
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 179, 3 Dec 31 1969 mmcblk1p3
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 179, 4 Dec 31 1969 mmcblk1p4
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 179, 5 Dec 31 1969 mmcblk1p5
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 179, 6 Dec 31 1969 mmcblk1p6
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 179, 7 Dec 31 1969 mmcblk1p7
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 0 Dec 31 1969 mmcblk1p8
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 1 Dec 31 1969 mmcblk1p9
crw------- 1 root root 249, 0 Dec 31 1969 mmcblk1rpmb
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Dec 31 1969 mtab -> /proc/mounts
crw------- 1 root root 90, 0 Dec 31 1969 mtd0
crw------- 1 root root 90, 1 Dec 31 1969 mtd0ro
crw------- 1 root root 90, 2 Dec 31 1969 mtd1
crw------- 1 root root 90, 3 Dec 31 1969 mtd1ro
crw------- 1 root root 90, 4 Dec 31 1969 mtd2
crw------- 1 root root 90, 5 Dec 31 1969 mtd2ro
crw------- 1 root root 90, 6 Dec 31 1969 mtd3
crw------- 1 root root 90, 7 Dec 31 1969 mtd3ro
crw------- 1 root root 90, 8 Dec 31 1969 mtd4
crw------- 1 root root 90, 9 Dec 31 1969 mtd4ro
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 3 Dec 31 1969 null
crw-r----- 1 root kmem 1, 4 Dec 31 1969 port
crw-rw-rw- 1 root tty 5, 2 Aug 14 17:50 ptmx
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Dec 31 1969 pts
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 8 Dec 31 1969 random
crw-rw-r-- 1 root root 10, 242 Dec 31 1969 rfkill
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Dec 31 1969 rtc -> rtc0
crw------- 1 root root 253, 0 Dec 31 1969 rtc0
crw------- 1 root root 10, 121 Dec 31 1969 sci0
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 0 Dec 31 1969 sda
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 1 Dec 31 1969 sda1
crw-rw---- 1 root disk 21, 0 Dec 31 1969 sg0
crw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 21, 1 Dec 31 1969 sg1
drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 40 Dec 31 1969 shm
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 120 Dec 31 1969 snd
brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 11, 0 Dec 31 1969 sr0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Dec 31 1969 stderr -> /proc/self/fd/2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Dec 31 1969 stdin -> /proc/self/fd/0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Dec 31 1969 stdout -> /proc/self/fd/1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root tty 5, 0 Dec 31 1969 tty
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 0 Dec 31 1969 tty0
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 1 Dec 31 1969 tty1
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 10 Dec 31 1969 tty10
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 11 Dec 31 1969 tty11
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 12 Dec 31 1969 tty12
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 13 Dec 31 1969 tty13
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 14 Dec 31 1969 tty14
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 15 Dec 31 1969 tty15
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 16 Dec 31 1969 tty16
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 17 Dec 31 1969 tty17
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 18 Dec 31 1969 tty18
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 19 Dec 31 1969 tty19
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 2 Dec 31 1969 tty2
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 20 Dec 31 1969 tty20
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 21 Dec 31 1969 tty21
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 22 Dec 31 1969 tty22
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 23 Dec 31 1969 tty23
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 24 Dec 31 1969 tty24
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 25 Dec 31 1969 tty25
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 26 Dec 31 1969 tty26
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 27 Dec 31 1969 tty27
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 28 Dec 31 1969 tty28
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 29 Dec 31 1969 tty29
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 3 Dec 31 1969 tty3
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 30 Dec 31 1969 tty30
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 31 Dec 31 1969 tty31
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 32 Dec 31 1969 tty32
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 33 Dec 31 1969 tty33
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 34 Dec 31 1969 tty34
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 35 Dec 31 1969 tty35
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 36 Dec 31 1969 tty36
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 37 Dec 31 1969 tty37
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 38 Dec 31 1969 tty38
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 39 Dec 31 1969 tty39
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 4 Dec 31 1969 tty4
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 40 Dec 31 1969 tty40
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 41 Dec 31 1969 tty41
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 42 Dec 31 1969 tty42
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 43 Dec 31 1969 tty43
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 44 Dec 31 1969 tty44
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 45 Dec 31 1969 tty45
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 46 Dec 31 1969 tty46
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 47 Dec 31 1969 tty47
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 48 Dec 31 1969 tty48
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 49 Dec 31 1969 tty49
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 5 Dec 31 1969 tty5
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 50 Dec 31 1969 tty50
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 51 Dec 31 1969 tty51
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 52 Dec 31 1969 tty52
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 53 Dec 31 1969 tty53
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 54 Dec 31 1969 tty54
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 55 Dec 31 1969 tty55
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 56 Dec 31 1969 tty56
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 57 Dec 31 1969 tty57
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 58 Dec 31 1969 tty58
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 59 Dec 31 1969 tty59
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 6 Dec 31 1969 tty6
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 60 Dec 31 1969 tty60
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 61 Dec 31 1969 tty61
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 62 Dec 31 1969 tty62
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 63 Dec 31 1969 tty63
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 7 Dec 31 1969 tty7
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 8 Dec 31 1969 tty8
crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 9 Dec 31 1969 tty9
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 64 Dec 31 1969 ttyS0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 66 Dec 31 1969 ttyS2
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 67 Dec 31 1969 ttyS3
crw------- 1 root root 250, 0 Dec 31 1969 ttynull
crw------- 1 root root 10, 126 Dec 31 1969 ubi_ctrl
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 19 Dec 31 1969 udev_network_queue
crw------- 1 root root 10, 223 Dec 31 1969 uinput
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 9 Dec 31 1969 urandom
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 7, 0 Dec 31 1969 vcs
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 7, 1 Dec 31 1969 vcs1
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 7, 128 Dec 31 1969 vcsa
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 7, 129 Dec 31 1969 vcsa1
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 7, 64 Dec 31 1969 vcsu
crw-rw---- 1 root tty 7, 65 Dec 31 1969 vcsu1
crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 0 Dec 31 1969 video0
crw------- 1 root root 10, 120 Dec 31 1969 vtuner0
crw------- 1 root root 10, 119 Dec 31 1969 vtuner1
crw------- 1 root root 10, 110 Dec 31 1969 vtuner10
crw------- 1 root root 10, 109 Dec 31 1969 vtuner11
crw------- 1 root root 10, 118 Dec 31 1969 vtuner2
crw------- 1 root root 10, 117 Dec 31 1969 vtuner3
crw------- 1 root root 10, 116 Dec 31 1969 vtuner4
crw------- 1 root root 10, 115 Dec 31 1969 vtuner5
crw------- 1 root root 10, 114 Dec 31 1969 vtuner6
crw------- 1 root root 10, 113 Dec 31 1969 vtuner7
crw------- 1 root root 10, 112 Dec 31 1969 vtuner8
crw------- 1 root root 10, 111 Dec 31 1969 vtuner9
crw------- 1 root root 10, 130 Dec 31 1969 watchdog
crw------- 1 root root 252, 0 Dec 31 1969 watchdog0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 5 Dec 31 1969 zero

Megatron817
08-14-2023, 08:44 PM
Okay yes I did for the sake of seeing if your bad splash bin was the cause and indeed my Mio4k with the Bad HDMI port is dead just like you said. The 50% on the front display wasn't the booting of enigma2 process it was the flashing of the bad splash bin. Now I know it is not a bad chip some where as the cause. without the USB port functioning probably going to need a jtag I guess. I am not worried about mine wasn't using it anyway with the bad hdmi.

el bandido
08-14-2023, 09:09 PM
Usually a jtag is not needed if the bootloader is working.
There are exceptions. If you go off in a corner somewhere and start blindly messing with the thing, then yeah. You will probably need a jtag or a new receiver.

Megatron817
08-14-2023, 09:32 PM
Goes to show don't just download anything off the internet cause some people don't know what they are doing and it can damage something. You'd think the person that posted the bad Splash bin where ever it came from would have tried it them self first but apparently not.

ArloG
08-15-2023, 12:24 AM
Pssst. Guess what I done did?

UNCONTROLLED LOCAL BUILD Splash screen disabled via Ctrl-S USB set to manual mode via Ctrl-U Ethernet disabled via Ctrl-E Automatic startup canceled via Ctrl-C
[33;1m %s%s%s%s dirty BOLT v%d.%02d %s %s

Follow up tomorrow. Worked like a peach.

el bandido
08-15-2023, 08:29 AM
A guy has his car towed to a mechanic. The mechanic asked what happened and the guy says "Dunno. Was runnin' fine. Just would not start...'" A scan test shows the car with an overheat code, and the spark plugs are frozen so tight in the cylinder head that they have to be impacted out. A compression test shows 0 on all cylinders, with a grinding sound during cranking . The car engine is diagnosed as having been mechanically destroyed, and a 2 hour diagnostic bill for $240.00 is created.

The same guy's wife shows up the next day, pays the diagnostic bill and discusses repair options. During the repair discussion, the wife describes her husband being in a long drive thru line when alarms inside the car came on and the Engine Overheat message flashed across the screen. Then she says: " I told him to turn the car off but he said it would be ok. We barely made it home and it would not crank the next day. I don't know why he did not tell you this." "It's ok" the mechanic says. "Happens all the time. But if he would have told us what Really happened, we would not have wasted 2 hours diagnosing it."

ArloG
08-15-2023, 09:42 AM
More on the receiver later. Seriously. I'm winding down. I get obsessive. When it came alive, I was like that guy Pete. "Pete Myshants". Anyhow.
Back in the 80's I moved to Florida. Almost immediately was offered a job from a water well driller. Pretty good mechanic, could weld, had (at the time) a chauffeurs license. Later called CDL.
I did well for almost 10 years when I got a job offer that got me where I really needed to be. In electronics and automation. My last day, I turned in my keys and gas card. The boss wouldn't take the keys.
Told me when and if I ever got a place and needed a well. He had me covered. No cost. Cool huh?

So one morning I get to work. Get in my tanker/welder truck to head out to the job. It was a Monday. It wouldn't start. No crank.
Popped the hood and the damned battery was gone. Got on the 2-way and the boss came back.
Don't worry. "TP" came in and someone stole his battery over the weekend. So he grabbed yours. I'll be there in a few minutes with a new one for you.
"TP". Ron B. Born and bred redneck. A bragger. The best one in golf, the best bowler. Always had good "Ideals". Was going home in the evening to enjoy the "Vah-loo-ah 'polstery in his La-zee boy".
He'd come in early afternoon. Boss would say wtf. "It's 4 o'clock tee off time, mayunnn". Or come in early and brag he knocked out a well, put a pump in, trenched the wire and pipe in to the house, And installed the tank.
"I'm The Total Package". So he got the nickname. Total Package, Package. Or just TP.
One day one of the guys was welding on something. Hood down and sparks flying, welder ramped up. Here comes The Total Package. Out of his truck bragging how he did and Total Package this, and Total Package that. John breaks his bead. The welder idled down. Flips his hood up and looks over. "TP.....Toilet Paper". Flips the hood down and continues welding. You had to be there. Epic.
Remember. You got ME started!
So anyhoo. I get my new battery in the truck and get ready to go to the jobsite.
TP screams in on the 2-way. "Hey mayunn..I'm out here on (15 minutes away)". "And muhtruck (a real word in redneck Fl.) fukkin' overheated". "Some-unn stole muh goddamned ray-dee-yatter too".
He takes my battery and didn't even notice the radiator gone. It was a stick, so no tranny sauce sprayed out.

The truck was a pretty nice GMC 1 ton dually with a 454. It ran the same empty or loaded to the hilt. A dog! And drank gas like who knows what.
It got towed back. Engine seized tighter 'n you know what. And there it sat. For a couple of years.

Jerry. A Florida State Trooper. Big dude. Nice as hell. And a true cowboy redneck from Arcadia, Fl. Toted his saddle around almost everyplace and rode in rodeos.
Came into the yard in the evening in his custom hopped-up 5.0 Mustang Po-lice Interceptor. Cracked his hood open to keep it cooler. And did his daily reports. Then he'd BS with us for a bit.
Kept me in more 10mm auto for law enforcement use only engine block splitters than I ever cared to sail down the twists.

Jerry. Looks at that 454 often. Came in in his grubby clothes. Breaker bar, box of tools. Automatic tranny sauce and funnel. He would patiently, several times a week. Pour Dexron in the plug holes and wiggle the breaker bar on the crank snout bolt. A coupe of weeks, the motor was turning 360 degrees. Hit the stater and it spun and spit nasty tranny sauce all over.
He slapped a set of plugs in it. Checked it over. Earl, a junkyard radiator. A shot of ether. And it started. Rattled like hell, earl gauge barely moving.
But it ran.
He drained the pan, put a new filter in it. Flushed it out a little with kero. And introduced 7 quarts of glorious 90W-140 gear lube. You know, the cat-pissy smelling stuff? Into the innards.
It quieted down. Had pressure. Ran cool. Had "some" power.
And went right by the highway freshly pressure washed with bleach mix inside and out. With a big FOR SALE sign. It was gone in 2 days. Jerry and my boss split it 50-50.
Good times!

ArloG
08-15-2023, 07:10 PM
Forgot to mention the real kicker. The trooper heard TP brag so much. One day he calmly looked at him and said sincerely. "TP? Torn Prophylactic. Yor daddy shoulda' rolled over and shot you out the winder".

ArloG
08-15-2023, 07:16 PM
As promised.

Megatron817
08-15-2023, 08:59 PM
Thanks! That is pretty cool. I had an extra IR cable and cut off serial cable and traced it out and spliced both together. using my keyspan found it on com 4 and followed your instructions I got this one with the bad hdmi working again. It was that simple just ctrl s at power up with the prepared usb inserted.
This Mio4k can still be use just have to set every thing up with owebif and then watch tv through enigma2 streaming client with Kodi or other ways of streaming. Sorry for your headaches but look at as a learning thing or more knowledge for our brains.

ArloG
08-16-2023, 08:12 AM
Does that mean you had no hdmi but you could stream?
And you broke automatic boot with the keyboard and now after rebooting you do have hdmi?
I know it's too late and getting the receiver working is a big rush. But did you happen to notice under normal boot what the last error message was and the cpu exception?

Megatron817
08-16-2023, 08:42 AM
Does that mean you had no hdmi but you could stream?
And you broke automatic boot with the keyboard and now after rebooting you do have hdmi?
I know it's too late and getting the receiver working is a big rush. But did you happen to notice under normal boot what the last error message was and the cpu exception?

No the hdmi is broke so in order to use this Mio4k is to set it up using OpenWebif. A really slow process waiting on screen refreshes to view the video that should be shown on the Tv screen but can't without an hdmi connection. Have to stream the channels once every thing is going. I didn't even read the output of the PuTTy window just had it ready with the usb stick inserted and as soon as the power was applied the PuTTy screen did start showing data and I hit Ctrl s and it did its thing. I shut it down without saving the data. Should of saved the data but wasn't thinking about that at the time.

ArloG
08-16-2023, 09:08 AM
When you've had enough of it I would love to check the TVS diode arrays at the hdmi connector on the pcb

Megatron817
08-16-2023, 09:10 AM
No the hdmi is broke so in order to use this Mio4k is to set it up using OpenWebif. A really slow process waiting on screen refreshes to view the video that should be shown on the Tv screen but can't without an hdmi connection. Have to stream the channels once every thing is going. I didn't even read the output of the PuTTy window just had it ready with the usb stick inserted and as soon as the power was applied the PuTTy screen did start showing data and I hit Ctrl s and it did its thing. I shut it down without saving the data. Should of saved the data but wasn't thinking about that at the time.

I connected it back with RS232 and got the output of the normal boot process.

ArloG
08-17-2023, 08:13 AM
EB. This may be more suited for you.
It came from deep searches.