PDA

View Full Version : STAB HH120 Diseqc motor connection through a Diseqc switch

OswaldFTA
02-27-2024, 08:18 PM
Hello

I have these equipment and need to connect them correctly

Receiver: Edision 4K mio+ (TNAP 5.0 image)

Motor: STAB HH120

Diseqc Switch: Axing SPU 81-00, 8 inputs, 4 committed (A, B, C, D) and 4 uncommitted (E, F, G, H). Input H allow DC pass through to connect motor to this position.

LNB: Universal

How should I configure the receiver to get the system working properly?

el bandido
02-27-2024, 09:16 PM
You have it wired wrong if the diagram is correct. The STAB HH120 is a good motor, but you cannot put most brands of diseqc switch in front of it. It has to be wired like this: Receiver--->STAB HH120--->Diseqc switch--->LNB(s).

clucas
02-28-2024, 02:15 AM
Only one LNBF? Why would you need a Diseqc switch? Keep it simple,

OswaldFTA
02-28-2024, 08:12 PM
Actually I have 5 LNBs. 4 LNBs on three fixed dishes, one of the dishes (90 cm) with two LNBs with a multifeed setup and the 5th LNB mounted on the dish moved by the motor.

OswaldFTA
02-28-2024, 08:28 PM
El bandido,

It is supposed that this switch is prepared to manage a Diseqc motor. See image below.

A question, does the receiver send the Diseqc command starting from top to bottom on the setup page (see blow), I mean first the Diseqc 1.2, later the Diseqc 1.0 and later the Diseqc 1.1?

How should I configure the LNBs in the receiver setup page, remove the Diseqc 1.2 and keep the Diseqc 1.0 or 1.1??

In the case I connect one of the LNBs to the uncommitted ports (E, F, G or H), if I select the E port, for example, what input should I select, Input 1 (1st input of the uncommitted part of the switch), or Input 5 (5th input of the whole switch) on the receiver?

OswaldFTA
02-28-2024, 08:29 PM
Which switch brand can I use to keep it connected as it is now?

el bandido
02-28-2024, 09:29 PM
Have you got this switch working correctly with all lnbs Except the motor?

OswaldFTA
02-29-2024, 05:05 AM
Yes, perfectly working. I configured as Diseqc 1.0 and assigned Port A, Port B, Port C and Port D (Committed switch configuration) for the first 4 LNBs.

OswaldFTA
02-29-2024, 05:07 AM
I got these answers from the switch manufacturer.

Hello,

you need Position + Option + Uncommitted_1 and DiseqC 1.2. Position is the last one so BB and option 2.

Or position 4/8 and option 2, but you need DiseqC 1.2 for the motor.

Hello,

I'm sorry but I don't know your receiver. You need to set Diseqc 1.2 for the Rotor and select the correct output. Where it now says Disec 1.0, you need to select 1.1 for the Port and where it now says 1.1, you need to select 1.2 for the rotor.

I don't know your receiver and it would be better if you asked the manufacturer about this, or ask in Internet forums.

el bandido
02-29-2024, 06:01 AM
Are you running the motor in diseqc 1.2 or in USALS?

Terryl
02-29-2024, 12:34 PM
I don't care what type/brand of switch you use, the motor should always be before any type of switch, the starting DC current load on a motor will eventually blow out the input/output on any switch.

Even some receivers can't handle the starting load of some motors, the starting DC current load (amps or milliamps) will be even higher on a 13 volt transponder. (all vertical transponders)(the lower the voltage the higher the current)

It should always be Receiver-Motor-switch-LNB.

Also a good idea is to use coax with a pure copper core, some coax has a copper coated steel center conductor, this type will have a higher DC voltage drop at the far end.

To test the type of center conductor use a magnet on the center conductor, if it sticks it's steel.

ArloG
02-29-2024, 02:26 PM
Although I have yet to own a usals motor I really do like the remote power hack to supply the positioner electronics and motor H bridge. It seems like the only thing then is to get a signal over coax to tell the control electronics where to move the dish to.
I would suspect also that the motor would move more lively and receiver power load stresses would greatly be reduced. Si?
And as feeble minded I am at times. When powered over coax. If on a 13 volt transponder. Does that mean the motor itself can only get a maximum of 13 volts? And more pixies if on an 18 volt tp?

Terryl
02-29-2024, 05:01 PM
Yes, if the receiver is set to a 13 volt transponder (vertical) the motor only gets 13 volts, maybe a bit less due to voltage drop on a long run of coax.

This only applies to H to H motors used on "Ku" band dishes,(under a meter and a half) "C" band dishes use a different type of motor.

ArloG
02-29-2024, 06:04 PM
Yes, if the receiver is set to a 13 volt transponder (vertical) the motor only gets 13 volts, maybe a bit less due to voltage drop on a long run of coax.

This only applies to H to H motors used on "Ku" band dishes,(under a meter and a half) "C" band dishes use a different type of motor.

Very familiar with a diseqc controller. The ASC-1. Haven't seen a schematic for a Stab type positioner and probably missed that part in the Eutelsat bible.
Since most sat. receivers use 12 vdc as the power source, then a boost converter is there someplace. With board traces as fine as they are and juice going through the tuner/demo. it only makes sense that copper coax is needed and short cable runs would be important. Whether the motor is of a lower voltage and regulated down to it before the actual H bridge reversing circuit could be aced with one torn apart on the bench. I'd like to come across a junker someplace to play with.

OswaldFTA
02-29-2024, 07:25 PM
The Diseqc 1.2 option was selected and later the USALS option was activated, so I'm supposing that is working with USALS.

OswaldFTA
02-29-2024, 07:47 PM
I'm able to get signal from the LNB connected to the motor, but if I go to the setup and try for example, find the signal in other transponder, when I go back to the channel previously Lock, the receiver gives the warning "Tune failed".

el bandido
02-29-2024, 07:52 PM
Does the signal return if you do Nothing Else except restart enigma, Or Reboot the box?

OswaldFTA
02-29-2024, 07:59 PM
Yes, that is correct.

el bandido
02-29-2024, 08:33 PM
Carefully check your cables . ALL cables that go to the motor and its lnb need to be checked. Unscrew all connectors and look inside them for moisture or rust. If you are using copper clad Steel, then replace it with solid copper core.

OswaldFTA
03-01-2024, 09:17 AM
EB

This is a new installation. Everything looks nice. I always use 100% cooper core, never cheap steel clad cables.

el bandido
03-01-2024, 10:37 AM
What is the make/model of the lnb on the motorized dish?

Have you checked for proper operation of the motorized dish by using a barrel connector to temporarily eliminate the switch? In other words, does the motorized system work correctly without the switch installed?

OswaldFTA
03-01-2024, 02:49 PM
The LNB is a GEOSATpro UL2PLL UNIVERSAL Phase Lock Loop Linear Ku LNBF. I will check that. I will test the system without the switch first. That is what I should have done from the beginning. I will test it and let you know about the results.

OswaldFTA
03-17-2024, 08:08 PM
Hello,

Just for the records. I finally got the correct setup. This switch is a combination of committed and uncommitted switches. I found a recommendation from other switch manufacturer and "adapted" it to the DiseqC command sequence of mine. See attached pictures.

el bandido
03-18-2024, 12:43 AM
Excellent Work! Good to see that you found a solution! Hopefully your work will benefit someone else.

OswaldFTA
03-19-2024, 07:35 PM
I hope so!!!

Terryl
03-20-2024, 08:41 AM
And I hope you put the motor before the switch or you may run into problems further down the road.

el bandido
03-20-2024, 04:33 PM
I have ran switches in front of Ku motors before and didn't have any problems with it. I also put a milliamp meter inline to see how much current the motor pulled when running. The motor running does not draw much current when running, something like 50-100 milliamps. But you may see a brief spike around 200-350 milliamps when the motor starts a 1.2 meter dish on the lowest end of the satellite arc. The bottom line is these types of motors just don't draw as much current as some think they do.

And I also agree that the motor should not have a switch between it and the receiver. But this is a hobby and things are not always done the way they are supposed to be.

ArloG
03-21-2024, 10:48 AM
Wondering. During motor activation does the lnbf power shut off?

el bandido
03-21-2024, 03:09 PM
Wondering. During motor activation does the lnbf power shut off?

Does the lnb power shut off when the actuator motor is moving on your c band dish? This stuff is setup the same and does not care about the band. So the answer is No.

Consumer lnb(f)s do not need much power to operate. Commercial DRO lnb types usually use less power than Commercial PLL types. Some commercial lnbs(2) may require more power than the receiver is capable of producing. Most fta satellite ku dishes will have a cheap dro or cheap homeowner type pll lnb. So no need to worry with turning lnb power off for motor moves. Turning lnb power off would just be something else that can go wrong in the system.