PDA

View Full Version : How to Upgrade Your FTA Remote

el bandido
12-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Most fta remotes are not very good. Phillips has an inexpensive remote that can "learn" the buttons on your exisiting fta remote. The Phillips SRP5107WM is available at Walmart for under $20.00 U.S. I have found the quality of these remotes to be very good and they are built much better than my latest fta remotes. The Phillips SRP5107WM may be programmed to control up to 7 different devices and it is advertised to work with 625 different brands. I have not had any problems using this remote to control a Pansat, Openbox, or a Manhattan receiver. Programming the Phillips remote is easy. You can program the buttons on the remote in any order that you want. This makes changing fta receivers easier on you and other family members because you can program the remote buttons to have the same function instead of having to learn a different remote for every fta receiver. For example, I put the scanned satellites under the Guide button on the Phillips. Some fta remotes have the scanned satellite list under the Zoom or Size button. The only problem I have with the Phillips remote is they all look the same. It would be nice if they came in different colors so you would know which remote goes to a particular fta receiver or other device. I can get around this problem by putting an identifying mark on the remote so I know what it is supposed to control. This remote has changed the way I do things. When I get a new receiver, I program the Phillips to control it and then put the original remote in storage. Currently I have one of these remotes set up so a couple of keys control the Gbox, a couple of keys control the tv and the rest of the keys control a Pansat 9500 HDX receiver. All of this is done under 1 setting on the remote. I have 6 more settings that I could program if needed. EB

ViP3R
12-05-2011, 08:33 AM
Nice, thanks EB.. Next time in I'm wally mart I'll have to check if they have that model here.

el bandido
12-05-2011, 09:32 AM
I added a couple of manuals for this remote to post#1. EB

dr.zin
02-03-2012, 01:51 PM
that one is now on sale in walmart for $10
I had enough money left over to also get the RCA RCRN04GR for $9.96 in walmart.
That is another model that has the 4 colored buttons.
I will give them the torture test with euro firmware on the s10 later.

dr.zin
02-03-2012, 04:20 PM
you must have been lucky.
The phillips didn't control any euro firmware,I kept my finger on the power button until gangrene set in.
The rca is only of limited use.
It would work with comag firmware but the colored buttons didn't work.
neither will detect the openbox s10 (yet)
Neither are jp1 remotes,which would be the only serious solution to matching a remote 100% with the proper .rdmu file.

el bandido
02-03-2012, 05:21 PM
There is no luck to it. My Phillips controls a Manhattan, Openbox, and Pansat 9500. You have to set it up correctly or it will not work.

mengram
04-22-2012, 05:54 PM
el bandido, can you tell me which button to use to bring up the audio function using the Philips remote for the Pansat 9500? I also noticed when in sat mode, the zero (0) button in the number pad does not work. When adding a tp and it has a zero in it, like for example 12250/V/4999, I have to enter 12249, then use the right arrow button to bump it up to 12250. Thanks for looking. Any help will be appreciated.

mengram

el bandido
04-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Did you copy the buttons to the remote or did you learn them?

el bandido
04-22-2012, 06:05 PM
Download the user manual in post 1 and look at page 7, 3.3 "Learning button functions." Follow the instructions in 3.3 and see if it works.
Also some IR codes cannot be stored under certain names. I did not have any trouble using this Phillips remote with the Pansat 9500. But I think I had to store everything under the SAT button.

mengram
04-22-2012, 07:01 PM
Thanks bud:clap:

mengram

el bandido
04-22-2012, 07:05 PM
The only satellite receiver remote that I have had problems with is the Optibox Raptor. The Phillips will not learn all of the buttons on Optibox no matter what I do. I can get most of them but not all. When a button works funny or does not work, consult 3.3 in the manual and learn the button again. EB

wildbill
05-13-2012, 11:18 AM
The STB remote I like is the multi sat and cost $20 and appears to have codes for a lot of FTA receivers. I use it on a Nano2 fta.

mengram
02-20-2013, 10:30 PM
The only satellite receiver remote that I have had problems with is the Optibox Raptor. The Phillips will not learn all of the buttons on Optibox no matter what I do. I can get most of them but not all. When a button works funny or does not work, consult 3.3 in the manual and learn the button again. EB

The "Select" button on my Raptor remote is not working well and I have to push it 2-3 times to get it to work, I programmed my Phillips remote today, using the learn feature, to control my Raptor and it learned all the buttons of the original remote.

mengram