PDA

View Full Version : Frozen DiSEqC Switch

ViP3R
01-18-2012, 09:46 AM
After heavy rain yesterday and +8 temperature, then dropping to -16 with wind chiil of -20 something over night it seems my chieta heavy duty switch is frozen..No signal on any of my KU sats..The motor and dish is moving fine..I have the switch in a plastic case, so I thought it would be fine..I can only guess it got some water in there and froze up.

Still to cold to check it out, I'll bring it in tomorrow and see if it thaws, hopefully I don't need a new switch.

musicmanitou
01-18-2012, 10:20 AM
When it thaws make sure that it is good and dry before you try it.

ViP3R
01-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Came home from work and it seems to be working half assed..if I change to DiSEqC then move the dish a bit then back to USALS the signal will come in.. I think it might be okay when I bring it indoors for a while tomorrow..

ViP3R
01-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Well, had to order a new switch, this one bit the dust..had a few old ones in the basement but I guess that's why I put them there, only a port working on both.. and switching time is terrible on those old cheap 4x1 switches.. :doh:

WillDekkard
01-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Well, had to order a new switch, this one bit the dust..had a few old ones in the basement but I guess that's why I put them there, only a port working on both.. and switching time is terrible on those old cheap 4x1 switches.. :doh:

Cheita make a decent switch, however there were many reports of counterfeit Cheita switches out in the marketplace and you could tell the bogus ones as they did not have a serial # on them. I have always been partial to EMP Centauri switches as they have not failed me yet.

ViP3R
01-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Cheita make a decent switch, however there were many reports of counterfeit Cheita switches out in the marketplace and you could tell the bogus ones as they did not have a serial # on them. I have always been partial to EMP Centauri switches as they have not failed me yet.

Well, as luck would have it, I received an email saying they are out of stock on the Cheita, So changed my order to a couple of EMP Centauri switches.

I also pulled the old Cheita out of the garbage, no serial number to be found on it. :shock:

ViP3R
01-28-2012, 08:18 AM
Got my KU back up and running..once the new switch went on I found that the dish had also got moved out of wack in the storm, so had to adjust the dish as well..back on the arc now and good to go..:ter:

swampthang7
03-04-2012, 06:39 PM
I've got several boxes of old switches....diseqc.22khz multi's,and some others.I'll ship anything you need.

ViP3R
03-05-2012, 11:51 AM
I've got several boxes of old switches....diseqc.22khz multi's,and some others.I'll ship anything you need.

Very generous swampy..TYVM.. do you have any EMP Centauri's in your collection?

swampthang7
03-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Yes...1...but I have to see if it's still there.I maintain a sat set up for an older guy who thinks one button(and wishful thinking) should do everything.I'll look tomorrow for you.

swampthang7
03-17-2012, 06:11 AM
Viper....turns out it's a Terk 4x8 powered unit.It's yours for the asking,but I'm not even sure it was working when I pulled it.

wildbill
03-25-2012, 04:02 PM
After having switch failures have now only emp-centauri DiSEqC switches. they cost a little more but last better through my mishaps. On the "C" band BUD I have shorted out the coax accidentally with power on but if you do that with the low end DiSEqC switches they are shot. the centuri has a lower signal loss and cross talk and made in Czech Republic not China.