ViP3R
03-20-2012, 10:19 AM
MAIN FEATURES

Supports MPEG4 /MPEG2 - HD/SD and Fully DVB-S2 /DVB-S Compliant
Intelligent Blind Scan for both SD and HD TV & Multi-Satellite Search
Multi-LNB Controlled by DiSEqC Control Version 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 and USALS
HDTV PVR Receiver ( H.264/ MPEG4 HD )
Embedded Linux OS
Time Shifting, Recording & Playback with External HDD (USB 2.0)
Simultaneously Records of Services and allows Watching 2 others (PIP)
Powerful Extended EPG supports and Event Recording
One USB 2.0 Host ports (MP3 Player & JPEG Viewer)
Xvid file play back supported
Ethernet port Supported
On-Screen Display with Full Color & Resolution
Favorite Groups
Powerful Service List Manager for Favorites, Lock, Skip, Move, Edit and Delete
Service Sorting by Alphabet, Transponder and CAS
User Friendly & Multi-language Supported (OSD & Menu)
Teletext / Subtitle Supported
Maximum 10,000 Services(TV & Radio) Programmable
Picture-in-Picture (PIP) & Multi-picture Display
Parental Lock / System Lock / Installation Lock
HDMI Video & Audio Output (576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p)
CVBS(composite) Video & Audio Output via RCA
Optical Output for Digital Audio(SPDIF)
Software & Service channel Database upgrade via USB & RS-232C port
1 Smart card reader and 1 Common Interface Slots

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 50%"]Tuner & Channel Decoder
Input Connector: F-type, IEC 169-24, Female
Loop through out: F-type, IEC 169-24, Female
Frequency Range: 950MHz ~ 2150MHz
Input Impedance: 75Ohm, unbalanced
Signal Level: -65 to -25dBm
LNB Power: 13/18VDC, max.400mA
22KHz Tone: (22

Jim S.
03-20-2012, 03:44 PM
So, what's the difference between this and the Anaconda?

03-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Front panel display is one difference.

ViP3R
03-20-2012, 05:20 PM
So, what's the difference between this and the Anaconda?

It's more of the basic box, though it has the same chipset and memory and the Intelligent blind scan.

The Anaconda is slightly larger and has extra inputs.

Gekko - One USB 2.0 Host ports (MP3 Player & JPEG Viewer)

Anaconda - Two USB 2.0 Host ports (MP3 Player & JPEG Viewer)

Geikko - 1 Smart card reader and 1 Common Interface Slots

Anaconda - 1 Smart card reader and 2 Common Interface Slots

Gekko no RGB or composite

Anaconda - composite and scart input.

The Scart does come in handy, I used a scart to component adapter ($2.99) to view in component..always nice to have another option.

The Gekko just has the HDMI.

The Anaconda also has a separate internal fuse & Lighting protection.

There may be software differences as well, but I have only looked at the Anaconda so far.

el bandido
03-20-2012, 07:30 PM
The webleaflet attached in post 1 should be looked at. One thing I like about the Gekko is its ability to be mounted behind the television so it is out of sight.

Another good Optibox feature besides intelligent blind scan is the channel editor.You do not really need a channel editor for the Optibox products because the channel editor in their receivers has enough features to do what most of us need done. I paid money so I would have a channel editor for the Raptor. I did this because I always needed a channel editor for my other receivers. My money was wasted on the channel editor because the receiver's channel editor is a lot more advanced than most other receivers.

The Gekko should sell for a bit more than a new S10 Openbox receiver, so the Optibox Gekko will make linux "affordable".

Only one problem:
The Optibox receivers currently boot in PAL. There is an option for NTSC in the menu, but you have to be able to see the menu in order to change it. That is sort of hard to do if your television or monitor does not display PAL. This problem is being looked into and hopefully a solution for North America will be available soon! EB

ViP3R
03-21-2012, 01:30 PM
The Gekko and other models will cost more than any openbox...Keep in mind these are not cheap Chinese boxes, They are quality built boxes with quality hardware. these are NOT disposable boxes! They are manufactured in South Korea and are coded by South Korean engineers.. They are the best..Just look at some of the features and scanning capability's..

More than likely this will be your last box..they offer support that none other does and they update this support on a regular basis. with new files, features ect>

It depends on how hard core you are on what box you like.

Pixl
03-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Since the OS is Linux, will some of the advanced users (not me) be able to take apart the software and tweak up some of the features?

ViP3R
03-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Since the OS is Linux, will some of the advanced users (not me) be able to take apart the software and tweak up some of the features?

I'm not sure Jim, if that is open source or not.But I would think anyone advanced enough (not me either) would be fine with the dual boot Alien and soon Alien 2, the enigma 2 files can be modified if you have the know how.

el bandido
03-23-2012, 07:28 PM
I do not think you will find much that needs tweaking on these receivers. EB

ViP3R
03-23-2012, 07:39 PM
Pretty good point EB, these receivers are much more advanced than users here in NA are used too. I think anyone will have a very pleasant surprise!

Jim S.
03-31-2012, 04:04 PM
Do any of these new receivers decode AAC audio?

ViP3R
03-31-2012, 04:27 PM
They can do this no problem! ;)

el bandido
03-31-2012, 04:54 PM
The optibox Raptor does AAC. This has been discussed in the review thread.

We are working to get the Gekko and other receivers out to people so they can be checked, but I would expect all of the Optibox receivers to work on AAC audio. EB

Pixl
04-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Is there some sort of editor I can bring the sat list out and clean it up, then put in N.A. sats?

el bandido
04-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Not really. There is a SETEdit that works a little bit but you have to pay for it.
Dr Edit may work. This channel editor is available in the Optibox section. Dr. Edit does not work on the Raptor.
We are getting a decent satellite file built for these receivers. But it is not ready yet.

el bandido
04-12-2012, 12:38 PM
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

The NTSC file in the above link has an old American sat file. It only covers down to 61W.

Pixl
04-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Not really. There is a SETEdit that works a little bit but you have to pay for it.
Dr Edit may work. This channel editor is available in the Optibox section. Dr. Edit does not work on the Raptor.
We are getting a decent satellite file built for these receivers. But it is not ready yet.

Dr. edit does not work on the Gekko file either. Says file header incompatible. I also tried the STBlink editor, it spit out the Gekko file as did Channel Master and PVR800 editor.
I'll try loading your older N.A. list next.

Pixl
04-12-2012, 07:47 PM
OK, I loaded that file. I have Western sats from 1.0w Thor (whatever that is) to 45w I1R. All the rest are Eastern Euro sats.
I can key in a few of our N.A. sats for further evaluation.

el bandido
04-12-2012, 07:54 PM
The Gekko NTSC file will have American satellites from 61.0West to 139West. This is an older satellite file.

I used the European list on the Raptor. All I did was change the sat name, the degrees, deleted all of the original transponders for the sat and did a blind scan.
There should be a better North American sat file available soon.

Pixl
04-13-2012, 08:15 AM
The Gekko NTSC file will have American satellites from 61.0West to 139West. This is an older satellite file.

Ok, I loaded in this file from your link.
I do not see any sats West of 45. It also changed to ver 10.31 (see screen shot) rather than the 10.29 you had me install. Is this the correct file for the Gekko?
Not that big a deal, I can hand key in a few sats, but I wanted to make sure 10.31 is ok to evaluate or should I roll back to 10.29?

el bandido
04-13-2012, 08:41 AM
Try running that firmware. It is USA version and dated March 22 2012 I think that would be the last release. The scan and features should be up to date with that firmware, so see what happens with it.

Pixl
04-16-2012, 08:15 PM
I tried the mini AV jack output today. I want to see how well this will work for someone with an older NTSC tv. I couldn't get anything out of it. Maybe a setting I missed somewhere?
Does the other Optibox models have this jack.

el bandido
04-16-2012, 08:29 PM
I do not think my Raptor has a small jack like that. Did you change video format in the receiver's menu?
Also, how is the receiver scanning? Any problems?

Pixl
04-17-2012, 06:30 AM
The updated software fixed the blind scan. It is now comparable to my OpenBox S-9.
I checked the video format menu and tried several settings.
I am using a video cable from a cam corder with 4 circuits on the mini end (tip, ring, ring, sleeve). The other end is red,yellow,white RCA connectors. Is there some other cable?

el bandido
04-17-2012, 07:33 AM
I think you have the right cable. Feel free to pull the cover off the receiver and see if any connections are broken. And tell us what you think about the electronic layout and quality of this receiver.

Pixl
04-17-2012, 08:53 AM
tell us what you think about the electronic layout and quality of this receiver.

I started to publish a day by day report of this, figured on puting it all up at the end of the review, but it is getting quite long already. I think I will put up what I have so far and then add to it as I get to know the Gekko. This will give others a chance to comment as it progresses.
I'm glad you said to pull the cover off and look around as hardware is my expertise and main interest.

el bandido
04-17-2012, 09:36 AM
You may want to start a separate thread. Do as you see fit. Nobody here is pressed for time.
I also find it very hard to write a review on the Raptor because it would be very long if everything is discussed.

Species
04-17-2012, 10:43 AM
This is what is needed for the Gekko HD video out (jack-->RCA)
If you have it connected with an HDMI at the same time, make sure that is set to 480p, or 576p ( below 720p).

Jim S.
04-19-2012, 03:19 PM
I've been reading about so many new receivers lately, I'm having trouble remembering what works with what. Does the Optibox support a wireless network adapter? Does it support a wireless keyboard? (Either with the default software or with E2.)

ViP3R
04-19-2012, 04:58 PM
I've been reading about so many new receivers lately, I'm having trouble remembering what works with what. Does the Optibox support a wireless network adapter? Does it support a wireless keyboard? (Either with the default software or with E2.)

Have a look at the webleaflet ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) in post number 1.

el bandido
04-19-2012, 05:27 PM

Yes and yes.
The Optibox works with some wireless adapters, and it does support some wireless keyboards.

Jim S.
04-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Is it safe to assume the same wireless keyboards as the Alien?

el bandido
04-21-2012, 11:59 AM
It is not really safe to assume anything when it comes to fta products, but yes, I would expect the Alien keyboards to work.

I bought a full size wireless ONN keyboard from WalMart and it works on my Raptor. My wireless mouse works too.
The Gekko has one usb port, but it is configured as a usb hub, so more than one device will work. I do not know if the same devices that work on the Raptor also work on the Gekko.