PDA

View Full Version : New Toy

04-10-2012, 11:58 AM
I just received my new Optibox Anaconda receiver today, would have had it last Thursday but I was tinkering with my new install and didn't hear the mail man ring the doorbell. I do hope the nstc file has been transferred to this stb or else I'm going to be in for a hair pulling afternoon. Hdmi cable is enclosed as well but not a North American adapter. Looking forward to see how this receiver compares to my azbox:

el bandido
04-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Glad to see you finally got it! The NTSC file has been here for some time. Let us know when you get it working. EB

04-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Finally hooked it up to my tv in the living room but all I could get was a rolling screen using composite(rca) cables. I tried but couldn't make out enough to get it into ntsc so I tried with my relic dinosaur tv I use outdoors for installs and sure enough I got a black and white screen. I switched it to ntsc and slapped it back onto my plasma and transferred the ntsc file posted here by Team Amiko and it's all good. Just doing a blind scan on Amc6 at 72w on c band at the moment. More to come folks.

el bandido
04-10-2012, 02:38 PM
I am really interested in how the blind scan works. It does not look like it was working too good because it only found 1 tp on 72W.

04-10-2012, 03:15 PM
I decided to test it against the skybox s12 on a blind scan. The s12 blind scan is much faster but it came up with no open tp, anaconda scanned in several tp on Amc9 at 83w. It obviously has a very sensitive tuner; I guess it's a matter of choice- do you want to scan fast or would you prefer to scan everything that is on a sat without missing any tp? Personally, I'll take the latter but always use dual lnbf just for a fast scan for feeds.

04-10-2012, 03:18 PM
I am really interested in how the blind scan works. It does not look like it was working too good because it only found 1 tp on 72W.

Cw tp with 3 channels is the only permanent tp on Amc6 on c band EB. The anaconda came up with 4 tp on Amc9, scanning Ses2 at 87w at the moment.

easily confused
04-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Awesome news, Costa. Waiting for mine arrive so hope you guys are ready for lots of questions.

satcrazy
04-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Costactc , you got your self a great reciever. I absolutely love mine. The picture quality is stunning. This box works great with the WD passport potable hard drive, after you put the anaconda on standby, it will completely shut down the hard drive to save power. Also, the clock keeps perfect time ( which is very handy when doing timer recording).

Costactc, when ever you do a blindscan, try to see if you can lock on frequencies with symbol rates lower than 2000.the blindscan on mine is not able to do that.

ViP3R
04-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Finally hooked it up to my tv in the living room but all I could get was a rolling screen using composite(rca) cables. I tried but couldn't make out enough to get it into ntsc so I tried with my relic dinosaur tv I use outdoors for installs and sure enough I got a black and white screen. I switched it to ntsc and slapped it back onto my plasma and transferred the ntsc file posted here by Team Amiko and it's all good. Just doing a blind scan on Amc6 at 72w on c band at the moment. More to come folks.

Excellent Costa, glad you got it fired up with the old TV..All future orders after yours should come pre-loaded with the NTSC file with NA sat list included..
You should have some fun with this box!

el bandido
04-10-2012, 06:19 PM
it sounds like the blind scan is faster on the Raptor than it is on the Anaconda.

el bandido
04-10-2012, 11:17 PM
The Raptor finds transponders below 1500.
Attached is a picture of a transponder that appears to be on Intelsat 805, 55.5W. EB

Bellboy
04-11-2012, 07:11 AM
I went ahead an ordered a Anaconda hopefully I'll get it in the next few weeks. Can't wait to start playing with it.

satcrazy
04-11-2012, 10:25 AM
EB, the blindscan still did not lock. It found 3668. H *3443, 3675 H 2958. It found the frequency before it and the one after it.

The good news is that other members are getting this receiver , so hopefully they will give us there feedback on the anaconda blindscan, and we will see if they have that same issue.

But I need to ask All anaconda users: please give us your feedback. Optibox have awesome support. If this turns out to be a common issue with all users, then hopefully it will be improved in future software releases.

04-11-2012, 12:44 PM
I haven't had the time yet to scan for a low symbol rate but will get there eventually. After blind scanning several sats I came up to as why the anaconda takes so long on a c band scan. It starts with vertical polarity and as it approaches 20-25% of its scan it has already finished down to 3700 but seems to keep scanning till it gets to 3400(very few sats on my arc have any tp under 3700 on my arc). I haven't tried ku yet but if there was a way to eliminate the frquency scanning from 3700 to 3400 on a blind scan then this receiver would be up there with the fatest. As I posted in a previous post, most important for me is that its tuner is extremely sensitive and scans in all possible tp.

el bandido
04-11-2012, 01:19 PM
You can change the upper and lower scan limits in the blind scan menu. To do this, change the frequency from Auto to Manual. Then enter your lower and upper frequencies.

04-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Thanks for that info EB, got lots to learn with this new box. I sure am liking what I see, would be great if it could open 4:2:2 feeds as well- would give them a step ahead of the azbox in North America. Just curious EB, when I changed to manual it gave me 3700 to 4200, would it be 3400 to 4200 in auto?

04-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Just did a blind scan of Intelsat9 at 58w in less then 5 minutes- just as fast as the s12- damn really starting to like this receiver.

Jim S.
04-11-2012, 03:07 PM
If you set the scan limits manually, does it remember that the next time you do a scan? My Coolsat 7100 didn't. Really annoying.

04-11-2012, 03:15 PM
No, it sets itself back to auto but just changing it to manual automatically gives you 3700 to 4200, unlike the azbox where you actually have to delete the numbers and re-insert- now that's a pain in the butt. If you select fta only it retains that in memory.

Jim S.
04-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Changing to manual, I can live with! The Coolsat had you edit the numbers from the full range each time.

04-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Same deal on most receivers I've dealt with also but this one defaults to 3700-4200 automatically when set to manual. I've scanned about 10 sats in with the anaconda thus far and it's starting to really impress me as no other has in the past- picture quality is to die for.

ViP3R
04-11-2012, 05:08 PM
Same deal on most receivers I've dealt with also but this one defaults to 3700-4200 automatically when set to manual. I've scanned about 10 sats in with the anaconda thus far and it's starting to really impress me as no other has in the past- picture quality is to die for.

Very nice Costa, I'm very happy your enjoying this new box! Nice to have your input. :thumbup:

el bandido
04-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Thanks for that info EB, got lots to learn with this new box. I sure am liking what I see, would be great if it could open 4:2:2 feeds as well- would give them a step ahead of the azbox in North America. Just curious EB, when I changed to manual it gave me 3700 to 4200, would it be 3400 to 4200 in auto?
For c band, I have always subtracted what the receiver says it scans (950-2150) to get the high and low ranges. For KU band, I have always added.
5150-950 = 4200
5150-2150 = 3000
So I think it goes from 3000 to 4200 in automatic. EB

el bandido
04-12-2012, 07:42 AM
I think these receivers are being shipped with older firmware in them. This has caused some problems. The receiver needs to be updated to the latest firmware in order to get the full benefit of the receiver.
When you update the receiver, you will also need to update the WebZeal for the web browser if you are going to use the internet. The last version for WebZeal is 2.7

When a valid firmware is loaded on a blank fat32 usb stick, the receiver will give you an option to load the firmware in about 5 seconds after the usb stick is inserted into the receiver. The receiver gives you the option of loading the file on the usb regardless of what menu you are on. We should capitalize on this and make some instructions for escaping from pal without seeing the tv screen. I will try to have more on this today. EB

el bandido
04-12-2012, 12:53 PM
There is a way to get out of PAL without looking at the tv.

For firmware upgrades:
1. Load the unzipped NTSC file on an empty FAT32 usb stick
2. Insert the usb stick into the receiver, wait 15 seconds, then press the red button on the remote. These steps will cause the firmware to be updated from the usb stick.

If the firmware is the same version:
1. Load the unzipped NTSC file on an empty FAT32 usb stick
2. Insert the usb stick into the receiver, wait 15 seconds, then press the red button on the remote. Next, press the left arrow button, then Press OK.