Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    very little progress to report
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    Wow, so many things to get through to get E2 working...

First, upgrading the bootloader. I held down the channel up button while turning on the receiver, and it booted as normal. So I tried pulling the plug to do a hard boot rather than coming out of standby, and that worked. They could've documented that.

Second, loading E2. Also had to do a hard boot while holding the channel down button. I got a screen with a logo, and a lot of flickering lines like the video memory was corrupted. Then, it went blank. Letting it sit for a while, it occasionally flashed a picture, but only for an instant. The instructions were of NO help at all, because they apply to a model with a front panel display, which the Gekko doesn't have! But eventually I had the thought that, if you have to select your output port as the instructions indicate, it might be defaulting to another port. So I hooked up the composite port, to find a blank screen there too. But eventually an image popped up, asking if this mode was OK. (Apparently, the first-boot wizard cycles through modes automatically if it doesn't get any input within a certain amount of time.) So I selected yes, and I was in business.

I really wanted to configure it for HDMI, so that I could get an HD picture, but nothing I tried worked. No matter what resolution I selected, the HDMI output had the previously-mentioned flickering lines and dots, and worse, it kept disappearing altogether. I think the video driver in this release of E2 is bad! So reluctantly, I went back to the composite output.

A few words about the composite output. It's in PAL, and there's no way to change it. There's no option for composite at all, in fact. There's one for component, and one for SCART, neither of which this receiver has. (In other words, this version of E2 apparently hasn't been customized for this receiver at all.) The settings on the SCART menu appear to affect the composite output, but it's still locked in PAL, there are no other options if you try to change the resolution or frequency.

Nevertheless, I thought I'd at least try a scan. There aren't any North American satellites in the default list, but I tried a few of the Atlantic ones that I know I can see. It took quite a few tries to find the motor settings in the menu, but even afterward, I can't seem to scan. It just immediately brings up a screen saying "scan done! 0 services found!" So, I'm not sure whether it even has a blind scan at all, or whether it's trying a transponder scan -- but even if it's doing that, it's not finding anything for some reason, unless the transponder list is wrong. (There doesn't even appear to be an option to edit the transponder list anywhere, but maybe that's just my lack of familiarity with E2.) On top of that, I'm not even sure if it's moving the motor. (It's dark, so I can't just look out the window.) Sometimes it brings up an icon of a swiveling dish, which never goes away, other times it just goes straight to the scan done screen.

I think I'm going to have to dive in to the satellite list, which I've heard is stored somewhere in the filesystem as a plain text file (well actually an XML file, but that's plain text), and see if I can put one together with known good satellites and known good transponders, before I can draw any absolute conclusions about whether it is or isn't really scanning.

But the HDMI video problem is a showstopper anyway. I don't know what's going on there, but it's got to be fixed.

2. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jim S. As you may already know Enigma 2 OS was developed specifically for Dreambox. Dreambox was the first box capable to offer C/S.
    Most people especially in Europe are used to the E2 Menu and its features so they do prefer this over any other OS.
    For the time being E2 wont work properly in the US since it lacks most of the features needed. However you can run E2 if you want just for experimental purposes ONLY.
    Improvements and fixes will be made to the official Fortis OS in order to resolve the problems you are facing. Expect a new FW soon......

3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was assuming that it would be a supported version of E2, since ViP3R said that it would in this post: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is a supported version, but not designed for US. The E2 projects are carried by interdependent teams and not the vendors.

5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone have a link for a support site for this version of E2? A PM will be fine if it's on a board that violates forum rules. For the record, my interest in E2 isn't in cardsharing, it's in advanced features such as web control and live streaming.

6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I uploaded a Western Hemisphere satellite list tonight (generated from [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]) and I can't even scan existing transponders. I get a continuously-flashing moving-dish icon (even after the dish has moved to the proper position, as verified visually) and the scan screen stays on "scan in progress - 0% done! 0 services found!"

Am I missing something, or is this release completely non-functional?

7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Pixl; 05-09-2012 at 06:46 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim S. View Post
    I uploaded a Western Hemisphere satellite list tonight (generated from [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]) and I can't even scan existing transponders. I get a continuously-flashing moving-dish icon (even after the dish has moved to the proper position, as verified visually) and the scan screen stays on "scan in progress - 0% done! 0 services found!"

Am I missing something, or is this release completely non-functional?
    The release is completely non-functional if it is not setup correctly.
    I think you missed part of the setup to begin with because you could not see the screen and you do not have a display on the receiver.
    You need Dreambox 101 or some other instruction manual for Enigma 2 that explains everything in detail. Unfortunately, I do not have such a manual.
    Either get on the internet and search for every piece of information you can find on E2 or wait until something comes along that is easier for you to operate. IMO, there is no need to mess with an operating system if you cannot get the basics to work. EB
    Meine Dreambox One ist ein Stück Scheiße!.

9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've tried reformatting the USB stick and reinstalling the files, and I can't even get the Gekko to boot into E2 anymore. No matter how long I hold down the channel-down button, either it boots into the Optibox firmware, boots into the Optibox firmware but without a display (I verified that it was the Optibox firmware and not E2 by logging in via telnet and checking the directory structure, among other things), or hangs with a green light but no display and no network access.

Totally clueless what's going on here. I've verified that the stick is bootable (or at least Windows claims it is), so I would expect that I could at least get into E2 with a defective video output like the first time, but I can't. I guess my next move is going to be checking whether I can re-flash the new boot loader.

10. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The video is not defective. The default boot for E2 is PAL.

What kind of usb stick are you using? How much storage space is on it? How many files do you currently have on this usb stick?
    What Optibox Gekko file are you trying to flash and where did you download it?
    Meine Dreambox One ist ein Stück Scheiße!.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast