1. Collapse Details
    Best picture quality receiver for SD channels
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    I haven't paid attention to SD channel quality but have heard that some receivers are better than others. I have noticed some pretty poor picture quality on certain channels with my newer HD receivers. What are the best receivers for SD picture quality? I would like to have one that is better that I can use for certain SD channels.
    Portable Comtech 13', Winegard 10', SAMI 7.5', 3 39" Ku dishes one motorized. Scanning 30w-131w

2. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the X5 does pretty decent on SD
    X2 Premium III HD, Openbox X5/ S10, Gsky V3/V6, iSmart m100

3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    One thing I found is that if you happen to need to connect to an LCD TV via composite output of a receiver, SD video will look best if the receiver video is set to RGB rather than CVBS. With CVBS the color gamut is reduced, making the picture look awful. RGB looks comparable to a CRT.

When using a CRT both RGB and CVBS look exactly the same.

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was satisfy with my FLU picture back in 2003 on DIck ntwork , now the FLU is in the garbage can . Different time ,- different taste .. The evolution .

5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Skybox F3 has an excellent picture on both sd and hd.

6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chifut View Post
    I was satisfy with my FLU picture back in 2003 on DIck ntwork , now the FLU is in the garbage can . Different time ,- different taste .. The evolution .
    What is FLU?
    Portable Comtech 13', Winegard 10', SAMI 7.5', 3 39" Ku dishes one motorized. Scanning 30w-131w

7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rrob311 View Post
    What is FLU?
    Fortec Lifetime Ultra -one of the first pirate boxes .,but that is different story

8. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ali chipsets seem to have better SD picture quality. The X2 Premium HD, unfortunately does not have that chipset! The GeoSat Pro Micro HD as well as the Amiko receivers and several other receivers use the Ali chipset.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    C-band since 1980. 12 ft Paraclipse bought new. Dual Tuner AzBox Premium HD+. FW is 0.9.5311 (reads 0.9.5308 on the AZBox).
    X2 Premium HD SW Ver: r2890-32202607 -xs0 Date: Sep 24 2013. Two 1mtr Wingard Dishes with STAB HH-120 motors.
    ​Titanium Satellite ASC-1 dish positioner, Chaparral Co-rotor feedhorn. 24 inch Thomson Saginaw Ball Actuator.

9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    some old receivers like the coolsat 4000 and 5000 let you tweak picture quality
    or am I being obtuse?

10. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to agree. I have 2 coolsat receivers and 2 pansat receivers that were excellent on sd channels. I haven't used them and are lying in my stb cemetary.