1. Collapse Details
    Source for receiver
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    I have been looking at this receiver with a lot of interest. Is there a North American source?

I am ready to upgrade my AzBox Premium plus. I toyed with the Optibox Raptor. Knowing several here were really enthusiastic about the Raptor and have now switched to the Vu+ piques my interest.

===
    Bill
    4 tuner Vu+ Duo2 running OpenVIX Apollo with MetrixHD skin ... AzBox Premium Plus for 4.2.2 ... Amiko Nano HD

2. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Connecting you to a VU+ source is not a problem. My only question is do you have any experience with Enigma2 firmwares?
    The Duo2 has a very advanced operating system as compared to Ali based receivers. We do not want you to get something that you will regret purchasing!
    The main complaint with the Duo2 is the mediocre blindscan or the lack of blindscan in certain images. Other than that, Enigma2 allows you to make a ton of custom adjustments.

If you are 100% sure this is something that you want, then I will be glad to direct you to a source. EB
    Meine Dreambox One ist ein Stück Scheiße!.

3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    New to Enigma but not intimidated; got to start somewhere. (I am an EE). Is it true that there are images that work with 4.2.2 CBS?

===
    Bill
    4 tuner Vu+ Duo2 running OpenVIX Apollo with MetrixHD skin ... AzBox Premium Plus for 4.2.2 ... Amiko Nano HD

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do not know of any images that actually open 4:2:2. You may use the transcoding feature and stream 4:2:2 feeds.

5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will have a 4x tuner version in about 2 weeks.

Two questions:

1. What HDD .... And
    2. What image do you guys recommend that I start with?

===
    Bill

6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Almost any hard drive will do. There is not a particular drive that Vu+ recommends but I think 4TB is about the maximum suggested size. I am using a 3TB Seagate PN 9JB1N4-575. This particular drive has performed well for me and it has performed very well in file transfer speed tests.

2. An image is not that big of a deal. I can post an image that will load and run on your system if I know the the tv resolution. You need to post your antenna settings for each band, and decide which tuner will be assigned to each band. Tuners A and C blindscan so start with them. I suggest adding tuners B and D to the mix after you get familiar with the receiver. Modifications to the sat file may be needed in order to use tuners B and D, depending on what you want to do with them.

Some files you need to get if you do not have already:
    dreamboxEDIT
    Putty or other telnet interface.
    FileZilla or something similar.

Enignma2 is set up entirely different than most fta receiver operating systems. Most of it is self explanatory but it does take some time to get used to. Things like storing transponder information, manually entering pids, or even changing the degrees of a satellite really need to be done through the network instead of using the receiver. None of this is a big deal after you get used to it.

7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also in regards to the hard drive... your choice of going green with a large cache for less heat (5400 rpm). Or, if you will be multi-booting images for testing purposes, the fast WD Black Caviar series (7200 rpm). Mine runs at 95-100 degrees without any problems. I have a Velociraptor (10000 rpm) drive I will be testing soon, but I think that might be over kill for the multi-booting process.

8. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I ordered same 3TB disk from Amazon you are using.... No need to tweak fate.

I already use Filezilla and have DreamEdit now as well. I actually took my second AzBox Premium Plus and played a bit today loading kernels and images. Tried the latest OpenPLI and OpenATV on the AzBox. You are not kidding about Enigma being arduous. I can see set up of LNBs and positioners is anything but easy. I did manage to get c-band working for 101w but never got Ku on 125w to work with USALs before I put it away for the evening. The differences in terminology is considerable. For example, it was hit and miss getting 22 kHz to my c band LNBs until I figured out 22kHz was tone.

Here is my system diagram. I will use A for Ku and C for C-band on the Vu+. I have a Universal LNB and USALs set up on Ku. My c-band requires 22 kHz constantly as I am using a SWM switch to power the LNBs through the 22 kHz side of that switch. You will no doubt note that I can only power the Manhattan *or* the Vu+ at one time else the splitter passes both 22 kHz signals and it does not work. In addition I will only use the Vu+ in DiSEqC 1.2 mode to automatically move the C-Band dish. When I use the Manhattan, I simply use the ASC-1 remote.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

===
    Bill
    Last edited by wbarrett; 02-15-2014 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Added System diagram