Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    OpenVIX 25
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    Updated from 24 to 25 today. This update really should have been renumbered and renamed as it required a USB reflash and no restore of settings at all. I was able to reload my satellite configurations with DreamEdit and was able to reload my ~300 picons with FTP.

The only configuration file I manually was able to restore was LCD4Linux. None of my timers worked. I also had to re-set up all 4 tuners and get all DiSEQc settings rebuilt from scratch manually. None of my MetrixHD skin settings worked either.

This was by far the ugliest update on VIX I have experienced. Certainly one measured in hours not minutes.

That said... Image is stable so far.

===
    Bill
    4 tuner Vu+ Duo2 running OpenVIX Apollo with MetrixHD skin ... AzBox Premium Plus for 4.2.2 ... Amiko Nano HD

2. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK... I do not find this image stable. After playing with it for a couple of hours, I find random restarts of the UI when using channel up or down buttons... Menu may do it... Have not got a replicable set of actions but no way is 25 stable *enough* in my mind.

I am going to save the image 25 so when they do start the bug fixes, I will not have to rebuild from scratch all over... But I am rolling back to 24. Too many introduced issues for my tastes.

===
    Bill
    4 tuner Vu+ Duo2 running OpenVIX Apollo with MetrixHD skin ... AzBox Premium Plus for 4.2.2 ... Amiko Nano HD

3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the past, I have shared your frustrations but there are ways to upgrade or change any e2 image with minimal impact. At the bare minimum, you should be able to keep your antenna settings and the channels. Timers are in a .xml file and should manually transfer easily. Skins may/may not work, depending on what changes were made to the image.
    Normally it takes me between 5-10 minutes to transfer antenna settings, channels, satellite file, skins, plugins and other assorted files to any e2 image. It used to take 1 hour or more to do this.

I am working on putting the information on how to do this in a thread and will post a link to it here when I am finished.
    Meine Dreambox One ist ein Stück Scheiße!.

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    That would be very handy EB.

I must say though, this OpenVIX update definitely blew my timers.XML files just were not working. At least my recordings_were all OK.

===
    Bill

5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bill, don't you keep a backup of your settings for situations such as you describe? Your recordings should not be affected unless you play around with plugins that modify the hard drive such as umount, barry allen, dumbo, multiboot, etc. But just the same I also keep a backup of my hard drive on my pc for those times when I have a senior moment.

I am still using 025 on multiboot and everything works just as in 024.

6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do make backups and full images. In this case the update to 25 specifically was built to not do any restores from backups. As I stated I was able to reload my satellite configurations from DreamEdit but that was no help with the tuner a d antenna settings. I look forward to getting EBs tutorial on where all config files are saved and which ones can be manually restored. I had copies of other config files like the timers.XML but they did not work in25.

Looking at WOS support for OpenVIX seems a lot of people have issues with 25 similar to me. There is no doubt in my case that 25 was a step backwards just as 23 was!

===
    Bill

7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    DreamEdit does not save your settings, sat file or lamedb files. So, when you do a restore you will most likely have YOUR bouquets with the new default sat, settings and lamedb files. You have to use putty and filezilla to upload YOUR files to match your bouquets and tuner settings.

DreamBoxEdit will save the bouquets, sat, lamedb and settings file. So, when you restore you should have everything working with your old tuner and bouquet settings.

Learned the hard way........

8. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Build 25 is running very well for me and without any issues. I will run it for a while and see what it does/does not do.

How to transfer antenna settings is here:[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I will try to write up how to transfer plugins and other files as time permits.
    The enigma2 operating system is very forgiving in the way of mistakes and is very versatile. These are only a couple of reasons as to why e2 is my favorite operating system for fta.
    Meine Dreambox One ist ein Stück Scheiße!.

9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Double checked... I actually do use DreamBoxEdit... Latest version

===
    Bill

10. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately, DreamBoxEdit has its quirks too. Sometimes, you may have to use putty and filezilla to get a problem resolved no matter what you may have tried to correct a settings issue. This happens a lot when one tests various images consistently. But in your case, where you have one image in flash, you really shouldn't be having this problem unless one of your settings files got corrupted.

I always keep a folder on my computer for all images I play with and store a virgin settings file along with a corresponding lamedb, sat.xml, timers, profile etc. Should something ever go south, and if I am unable to restore with a backup, I will just load the virgin files via putty and filezilla. Then, the only thing I have to check is if I am missing plugins. Other than that, I will be up and running in 10 to fifteen minutes.

When you do a clean upgrade, open the settings file with an editor similar to Notepad++ and compare it to the problem settings file and you will see the difference in references in each. Usually, it will be a setting in the file relating to starting a plugin that no longer exists or is corrupted, or a video setting issue, or the tuner settings not corresponding to your your bouquets, or lamedb files. Also, your profile file should be fairly consistent from the default to your current one. But, usually it will be the settings file which is the offender in many cases.

Again, I know I complain about gremlins a lot, but it's usually fairly easy to find them by just looking at the settings file.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast