Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    OPENBOX Z5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    Hi guys. You seem to be the only site i've found, that has any info/files, for this receiver. The S/W direct from Songtaotech site loaded fine, but it had no USA sats. Trying to do it manually worked somewhat, but it's a mess. Saw the file for American sats on here, so gave it a try. Had 3 files on my usb drive, and first one loaded fine, and rebooted. Second one also loaded fine, and rebooted...........but, this is what i ended up with, and i can't exit out of it, or use the menu in #6 Front key. Either from remote, or actual Front keys? Factory reset does nothing, this Factory Menu remains on screen. Any suggestions? This is the file, that has caused the prob:

KDP8006_SKN_OPENBOX_Z5_B14016_20141014rom.bin
    Last edited by MARLIN60; 12-20-2014 at 03:43 PM. Reason: pics

2. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    What if you power off the receiver on the back and attempt a force recovery using rs232.

3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and Welcome , I recall one of the Z5 files, think the 3rd one people reported problems and I did mentioned it.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    If you load that file you will need to load back the factory file or a previous version and update from there bypassing this one. I think I have all what you need so stay in touch and we will help you. I'm not at home but once I get there I'll send you some files. You will need to get a null cable and a computer with a com port to load the factory back. Again, welcome
    Last edited by cpr43; 12-21-2014 at 07:03 AM.
    X2 Premium III HD, Openbox X5/ S10, Gsky V3/V6, iSmart m100

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello

There are 2 ways to re-flash you Z5 with problems. USB process or using RS232 com port. If you already downloaded any files from our Z5 section I'll suggest to erase them and re-download since I updated some with additional information.

USB process:
    Use a small size 2-4-8MG pen drives
    Make sure its formatted to FAT32
    Follow instructions inside the rar file

RS232 process:
    Need a RS232 Null Cable
    Need a PC with COM port
    Follow recovery instructions inside the rar. Make sure you EDIT the Console batch file to assign your COM port.

5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm hoping for an easier solution Costactc, but can attempt that, if all else fails

6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlospr43 View Post
    Hello and Welcome , I recall one of the Z5 files, think the 3rd one people reported problems and I did mentioned it.
    If you load that file you will need to load back the factory file or a previous version and update from there bypassing this one. I think I have all what you need so stay in touch and we will help you. I'm not at home but once I get there I'll send you some files. You will need to get a null cable and a computer with a com port to load the factory back. Again, welcome
    I read your post on that bad file Carlos, and stayed away from it

7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlospr43 View Post
    Hello

There are 2 ways to re-flash you Z5 with problems. USB process or using RS232 com port. If you already downloaded any files from our Z5 section I'll suggest to erase them and re-download since I updated some with additional information.

USB process:
    Use a small size 2-4-8MG pen drives
    Make sure its formatted to FAT32
    Follow instructions inside the rar file

RS232 process:
    Need a RS232 Null Cable
    Need a PC with COM port
    Follow recovery instructions inside the rar. Make sure you EDIT the Console batch file to assign your COM port.

As i mentioned to Costactc, i'm hoping for an easier solution. Help from Songtaotech keeps telling me to do the
    "how to boot using usb" attempt. It's difficult conversing with them, as their grasp of the English language can leave you pulling your hair out....lol. I have tried but normal screen pops up, no upgrade screen? Have attempted that several times, and same negative results. Files must be good, or i believe they wouldn't have shown in s/w upgrade? I am going to delete files from pc, and re-load them, and try to "boot using usb" again. Thanks for recovery tool link Carlos, didn't see that earlier. It's Sunday..............so FOOTBALL now...............will continue my attempts tomorrow. Thanks guys, will post back soon

8. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well guys, booting from usb has been a major failure. None of my attempts would bring upgrade screen, so i started attempt to use rs232. Encountered prob right off the bat. I have never used "notepad". I did however manage to accomplish steps #3 and #4, but i'm stumped on step #5. It says "save the file" ( i hit SAVE, but saw no change ), then it says "run modified file". Saw nothing saved anywhere, or any "ConsoleDown_v1.3.3.11.exe file? Where am i going wrong?
    WOODSMAN

9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MARLIN60 View Post
    Well guys, booting from usb has been a major failure. None of my attempts would bring upgrade screen, so i started attempt to use rs232. Encountered prob right off the bat. I have never used "notepad". I did however manage to accomplish steps #3 and #4, but i'm stumped on step #5. It says "save the file" ( i hit SAVE, but saw no change ), then it says "run modified file". Saw nothing saved anywhere, or any "ConsoleDown_v1.3.3.11.exe file? Where am i going wrong?
    MARLIN60

Make sure you move the Sunplus folder to your computer. Right click on the ConsoleDown , hit EDIT, RUN on Security Warning, it will automatically open the Notepad with the file info. Just change -c (with your com port #). Hit FILE and SAVE. Re- open the file using the same steps and make sure it save your com port location.

For the USB process you should see the Upgrade screen if you unplug the receiver, push and hold the power boton in the front and plug the power cord back while holding it. Make sure you use a regular USB 2-4-8 GB and formatted to FAT32 and completely empty, just the file.

10. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have Sunplus on pc, using Win 7. I have right clicked on ConsoleD, hit edit, but there is no "Run on Security warning?", it opens notepad, changed Com port to Com port 1, hit file, and save. Re-opened it, and changes were saved. When i now click on file, it opens and it says "it is not recognized as an internal, or external command, operable program, or batch file"? I have, as you'll see in pics, at least made it to connected to platform, and success on all EXCEPT transmitting data, and it said no BIN.FILE, but that only happened once, all other times, program closes, as soon as it goes from configure ram, to transmit data?

As far as USB process, i've formatted to fat32, started with clean card, and entered ONE Z5 FILE. Tried turning off rear switch, inserting usb stick, holding in front power button, and turning on rear switch, or the same, but unplugging it instead. I get the same negative result, and that is the "factory menu" on screen. Also tried usb in rear, as well as front. If i hit menu on remote, it comes up, but BEHIND factory menu........which of course, is useless.

I have used a loader before, on a few occasions, on a Captiveworks/LimeUltra/SV360, with success, but this ones beating me down.
    So, that's where i'm at now, and ready to throw in the towel
    WOODSMAN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast