Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    ATSC for Enigma2 by Sundtek
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    A couple of my fta receivers have DVB-T tuners, which is useless for the United States. I used to look at these tuners and wonder why they could not be tricked into decoding ATSC signals? The ATSC solution offered by Sundtek is to make the ATSC stream look like DVB-T. Doing it this way allows the receiver to think it is receiving DVB-T when in reality it is receiving ATSC!

I received my ATSC usb device on Friday, making me the first person to test this device in an ATSC country. The device was operational out of the box, but it had some problems or issues. Sundtek worked the entire weekend fixing issues, making adjustments, and ensuring the device is working to its full potential.

The ATSC device from Sundtek runs only lukewarm or warm, even after hours of operating. The ATSC device scans better than my tv, and has a tuner sensitivity that is equal to or better than my tv.
    Operation of the ATSC device is flawless. It takes about 15-20 minutes to scan for channels, then you are ready to watch tv. My main fta receiver is a VU+ Duo2 with 4 DVB-S2 tuners. The ATSC device is the fifth tuner, and is listed as Tuner E.

All available receiver options work with the ATSC tuner including record and timeshift. Scanned ATSC channels are listed as "Terrestrial" in the receiver's satellite list.

I would like to Thank Sundtek for spending the time needed to optimize the ATSC device. It is truly amazing the way this device operates, and support has been nothing short of spectacular!
    It should be noted that this ATSC device has only been tested on VU+ Duo2 and VU+ Zero, but more boxes should be tested and added in the future.

Thanks again Sundtek! EB

(Pictures in next post)

2. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Sundtek usb device was shipped in a box. It was very professionally packed, and I had to sign to get it.
    Inside the box was a remote control, composite cables, usb extension or extender cord, usb device, antenna.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Channel 11 Golf Game

Channel 5, Atlanta Speedway

Service Scan Settings

WAGA Record Start

WAGA Record in Channel Selection

Tuner E

Tuner C with Tuner E Recording

Satellite List
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's no reason why this should not work with the Optibox Raptor also. Will try it as soon as I receive the tuner.

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the Sundtek ATSC driver needs to be worked on a bit first. I have tried other SH4 boxes and cannot get the ATSC tuner to be recognized. But I agree. It should work (soon).

5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    How does the tuner sensitivity compare to your TV? I have noticed newer TV sets have a better tuner than most of the older sets.
    Portable Comtech 13', Winegard 10', SAMI 7.5', 3 39" Ku dishes one motorized. Scanning 30w-131w

6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    From Post#1,
    "The ATSC device scans better than my tv, and has a tuner sensitivity that is equal to or better than my tv. " My tv is about 1.5 years old.
    Meine Dreambox One ist ein Stück Scheiße!.

7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are using brand new chipsets with our tuners. According to our testing in Berlin the sensitivity is very good for ATSC (actually it outperformed any cross-tested unit which we tested with ATSC).
    We're testing with a pattern generator and an attenuator from [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    The big plus is definitely the temperature of this unit as well, the power management is fully implemented into the driver.
    You're not using the tuner with the settopbox? The tuner will fall asleep and draw 70mA only.
    ATSC itself draws around 320mA.
    Last edited by Sundtek; 03-02-2015 at 05:51 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Sundtek plugin will allow for a second stick as long as the receiver is capable of supporting another tuner. Looks like I will order another ATSC usb stick and use it on the Zero Or to add a second antenna to the Duo2 for terrestrial. I think the Duo2 is capable of managing 8 tuners, so this would be tuner#6.

In the past, there has not been a good way to combine two tv antennas. You either had to phase the antennas or accept a loss if the two antennas were not aimed at the same target. The last option would have been to use an A/B switch and manually change antennas as needed.

The Sundtek solution should allow me to connect 2 separate antennas aimed at different targets, and allow for automatic antenna switching by using 2 ATSC usb sticks. I look forward to testing this and see if it works as planned.

9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    EB,

Their web site says it can receive FM radio too. Have you tried this feature?

C: 8' Andrew w/orthomode feeding twin Norsat 8515, Atemio Nemesis
    Ku: 1.2m Channel Master w/orthomode feeding twin NJR universal lnbs, Manhattan
    DBS: Motorized DTV Slimline w/DMS 922 circular, Jynxbox Ultra V3
    4:2:2 AZminiMe slaved off C/Ku

10. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, not yet. The device is a 2015 model, so it is brand new. FM radio and other features are still being developed. This device should run on your enigma2 fta box. I do not have your exact box brand to test, but would expect it to function because it is very similar in specs to the Duo2. Support from Sundtek to get it running is available if you need it.
    Meine Dreambox One ist ein Stück Scheiße!.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast