Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Incompatible STB firmware or broken 22Khz Controlled Switch?
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    I got two KU band dishes set up. One is 90cm and motorized. The other is 100cm and the dishe mount assemply is mounted on the top of the pole and faces 99.2W permanently.

I acquired a 22Khz Controlled Switch. Specs:

Insertation Loss: 3db
    Power Passing: 500mA Max
    Frequesncy Range: 950-24ooMhz

Here is how the Lnbs are coupled to the switch:

LNB 1 (0 HZ) - Dish pointing permanently at 99.2W
    LNB 2 (22KHz) - Motorized dish

I wired everything up and did a scan on LNB 1 and only picked up Montana PBS and got one 'wild feed' of a car show in Lousiana. I tried LNB 2 and all worked accordingly.

I then checked my settings for LNB 1 (EG PrimeStar 99.2) and everythnig was perfect!

The Koqit stb I have will not allow me to have the setting so that 9750/10600 is active with 22K set to off. There is no way to enforce this setting this way.

As you analyse the pics you'll see this. INFOWARS on 12095 will not be picked up on 9750 but when the LNB frequency is changed to 9750/10600 it gets picked up. But then the switch will not work as intended.

The only conclusion I can seem to arrive at is:

1. The switch must be faulty.
    2. It seems at the moment that were the firmware to allow 9750/10600 to be active with 22K in the 'Off' position this may work, but again this isn't an option.
    3. I disconnected the cables from the switch and then coupled the coax so LNB 1 would go straight to the stb. I then did a blind scan and picked up all the channels on 99.2. I then reconnected everything to see if pre-scanned channels on LNB 1 would now get picked up and that failed as well. Actually, I can only see Montana PBS, and wild feeds BJCA New Orleans on 11750/H/1499 and WSAV Unit 9 on 11786/V/5834. The known channels did not appear. Just Montana PBS.

So what are your thoughts?

Thanks for reading and stopping by![Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

2. Thanks el bandido thanked for this post
  3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is probably a good idea to avoid using 22KHz tone switches in fta antenna systems for more than one reason. Install a diseqc switch and your problems should disappear.

Antenna systems with motors should have switches or anything else installed after the motor or motor controller. Wire as: Receiver--->Motor (or controller)---> switches---> lnbs

Understand the limits of 22KHz tone switches if you need to use them:
    22KHz tone switches power both lnbs all the time.
    22KHz tone switches cannot be used with more than one universal type lnb.
    22KHz tone switches can cause scanning problems in some receiver models.

It is better to use a diseqc switch installed after the motor or motor controller. Makes life much easier.

4. Thanks WilburSmith thanked for this post
    Likes Megatron817 liked this post
  5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I installl a diseqc switch doesn't that mean I will have to transition from USALS to diseqc?

When you say "22KHz tone switches cannot be used with more than one universal type lnb." You mean that both lnbs must be same brand?

So am I understanding correctly, the switch is mounted in some place outside near the dish?

6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    In ku band, universal lnb has 9750/10600 for l.o. frequencies. What is referred to as a standard ku lnb in North America will have on l.o. frequency of 10750.

Universal lnbs use 22KHz tone to switch between the l.o. frequencies, and this is why they should not be used with 22KHz tone switches unless you only want to use one l.o. frequency such as 10600.

Switches and other items placed between the receiver and motor can cause communication problems between the receiver and motor.

A diseqc switch placed after the motor or dish controller will work fine with either diseqc 1.2 commands or USALS.

So yeas. Switches are mounted outside, after the ku motor in most systems.

7. Thanks WilburSmith thanked for this post
  8. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by el bandido View Post
    In ku band, universal lnb has 9750/10600 for l.o. frequencies. What is referred to as a standard ku lnb in North America will have on l.o. frequency of 10750.

Universal lnbs use 22KHz tone to switch between the l.o. frequencies, and this is why they should not be used with 22KHz tone switches unless you only want to use one l.o. frequency such as 10600.

Switches and other items placed between the receiver and motor can cause communication problems between the receiver and motor.

A diseqc switch placed after the motor or dish controller will work fine with either diseqc 1.2 commands or USALS.

So yeas. Switches are mounted outside, after the ku motor in most systems.
    Well after an explanation like this it leaves me scratching my head as to why such a device is even sold in the first place. Thanks for explaining this.!

9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wired the 22 Hz switch up according to your instructions and it didn't change a thing. Frankly speaking, based on your experience and my field trial the company selling this crap should be embarrassed. It's a waste of money and does not perform per expectations and selling points on web site.

But lets see if I made any mistakes that may change the situation. 0 Hz went to lnb mounted on dish pointed solely at 99.2. 22KHz went directly to lnb on motorized dish. Then 'receiver' on switch was wired to LNB input on motor.

This was the correct wiring scheme correct?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

10. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    What are the make/models of the two lnb's being used????

11. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    If both LNBs are Universal (LO 9750/10600) then you can't use a 22 KHZ switch.
    If the LNB on the motorized dish is a Standard (LO 10750) then you would put that LNB on the 0 KHZ port (and off in the receiver).
    Then you set up the 99 dish LNB with a LO of 10600 (do not set up as Universal) and KHZ in the on position in the receiver, and on the 22 KHZ port.

I am using 22 KHZ switches (as well as 4x1 and 8x1 diseqc switches) in my fixed dishes set-up quite effectively. In the past, I have used Universal LNBs on 22KHZ switches without any problem, as long as you follow the above set-up.
    AZBox Ultra HD, Amiko Mini HD265 + Amiko 8x1, 4x1 DiSEqC, 22KHz switches
    80cm: 30w, 34.5w / 80cm: 117w, 123w / 80cm: 97w, 103w, 110w / 80cm: 99w, 105w / 75e: 87w, 91w, 97w / 60e: 101w / 60e: 125w, 129w / 60e: 107.3W, 111.1W (Shaw Direct)
    Avatar: 2008 setup 61.5w, 72w or 74w (selectable), 79w, 87w

12. Thanks el bandido, WilburSmith, rrob311 thanked for this post
  13. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WilburSmith View Post
    I wired the 22 Hz switch up according to your instructions and it didn't change a thing. Frankly speaking, based on your experience and my field trial the company selling this crap should be embarrassed. It's a waste of money and does not perform per expectations and selling points on web site.

But lets see if I made any mistakes that may change the situation. 0 Hz went to lnb mounted on dish pointed solely at 99.2. 22KHz went directly to lnb on motorized dish. Then 'receiver' on switch was wired to LNB input on motor.

This was the correct wiring scheme correct?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Did you hook those switches up without turning the power OFF to everything? IF the coax was hot when you screwed the cable onto that switch, that alone is likely to have fried it. 22Khz switches are extremely sensitive to power glitches. MUCH more so than Diseqc switches.
    My name is Mike.
    My posting name at Satguys is Primestar31

14. Thanks el bandido, WilburSmith thanked for this post
  15. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Brannen View Post
    If both LNBs are Universal (LO 9750/10600) then you can't use a 22 KHZ switch.
    If the LNB on the motorized dish is a Standard (LO 10750) then you would put that LNB on the 0 KHZ port (and off in the receiver).
    Then you set up the 99 dish LNB with a LO of 10600 (do not set up as Universal) and KHZ in the on position in the receiver, and on the 22 KHZ port.

I am using 22 KHZ switches (as well as 4x1 and 8x1 diseqc switches) in my fixed dishes set-up quite effectively. In the past, I have used Universal LNBs on 22KHZ switches without any problem, as long as you follow the above set-up.

Both my LNBs are indeed universal. When I began reading what you wrote it sounded like maybe one LNB could be a universal one but the other had to be specifically a LO Frequency 10750MHz unit. But because your very last sentence stated "In the past, I have used Universal LNBs on 22KHZ switches without any problem, as long as you follow the above set-up." leads me to believe that I still can use two universal lnbs as long as I make the setting adjustments you spoke about.

Or do I need to get this one too:?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast