Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Do Not Buy VU+ FTA Receivers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    I started this thread because every time VU+ releases a new product, someone in North America buys it and is dissatisfied with the fta performance. VU+ produces a good quality product that is pretty much useless for fta operations in North America. I am sure these products work as designed in other parts of the world where subscriptions for fta receivers are available.

VU+ products are not designed for fta use, and will not work correctly on the fta satellites in North America. We need features such as blindscan, and a decent signal meter. Vu+ does not care about a signal meter, and advertises blindscan features that either do not work at all or perform very poorly. Vu+ does have good hardware for most of their receivers, but Vu+ performance and features is designed for subscription services, and not for fta signal reception.

Vu+ has some good graphics and good skins in their flagship BlackHole image, but everything else besides the skin and graphics is old and out of date. There is no provision for c band blindscan in BlackHole images, and overall, the BlackHole image belongs in a fta museum that specializes in relics of the past. Realizing how out of date the BlackHole image is, a newer version called Open BlackHole was released a few years ago. The Open BlackHole image is pretty much an OpenVix image with a few BlackHole skins and menus installed.

Here are a few examples of being inept, and not understanding what fta features are for or how fta receivers are supposed to operate:

Blindscan working, not working or we don't know.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Blindscan possible??? (Not answered as of today)

Signal meter issues (seriously?)
    I really do not know ,because I am not an image coder.
    I do almost exclusively skins and image testing.
    I'm not sure the BH coder wants to change the VU + base coding.
    In principle, these things should be fixed by VU + maybe you can send them,which they might include in the update.
    You know there are a lot of things that could be changed but then we would go beyond the VU + coding base.
    That's why we created the Open Black Hole image.
    But if you make a fix I can ask the coder if he wants it to change.

Diseqc motor issue (Not Answered)

Problems with C band TP (Uh, What the hell is c band?)

Trying to contact VU+ directly about receiver problems or issues is futile. Vu+ will not answer any questions or have any kind of conversation or even acknowledgement that problems exist.

Best of luck to anyone that purchases a new Vu+ receiver for use in North America. EB

2. Thanks Megatron817, MikeB, eastof111, rrob311, ViP3R thanked for this post
  3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Best of luck to anyone that purchases a new Vu+ receiver for use in North America."

Haven't seen any posts lately of NA fta purchasers of new Vu+ receivers and most likely won't see any in the future.

For that matter, after visiting many south of the border web sites over the years, Vu+ never really took off in Mexico, Latin America or South America. Over the years, I don't recall Vu+ generating too much interest in Australia or Philippines either.

4. Thanks Megatron817, el bandido, ViP3R thanked for this post
  5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I usually see a few posts every time a new Vu product appears, and a new VU+ Duo4K SE is being advertised now.U.S. Ebay has several VU+ receivers available for purchase from other parts of the world. VU+ does not advertise any features to work or not work, so if something like blindscan does not work, then you cannot say the seller sold something that does not work as advertised.

This is what VU+ advertises as features for the Duo4k receiver:
    Features
    Quad Core 2.1GHz
    Transcoding
    HDMI In & HDMI Out
    Detachable 2.5” HDD
    4GB eMMC/2GB LPDDR4
    HDR10/HLG
    2 x USB 3.0(Rear) & 1 x USB 2.0(Front)
    2 x Common Interface/1x Smart Card
    3.5” LCD for Mini TV

These receivers would be the best for fta if they were supported. VU+ receivers have great hardware and nice skins. Just looking at it, you would think it is the fta product to have, and maybe one day it will be. But not today.

6. Thanks Megatron817, eastof111 thanked for this post
  7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only thing is someone has buy it N.America and test it and post the results because we can't find much info from over seas. But I we know the support is not good then best to stay away from all their products. I also say stay away from the Mutant/AX stuff. Not good support.

8. Thanks ViP3R, el bandido, eastof111, Titanium thanked for this post
  9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some other things to consider:
    A FTA Store, FTA Dealer, FTA Seller...etc will probably not sell you a New receiver for testing because once you open the packaging and connect the receiver to an antenna system to test it, the receiver is no longer New. It is then considered to be Used. So if a seller offers to send you a receiver to test and offers to accept a return due to a failed test, then the receiver is probably "used" instead of "new".

To date, FBC or Full Band Capture tuners have no practical use in a North American FTA satellite system. The FBC tuner will work, but none of them have a proven DVB-S blindscan, and the overall sensitivity will probably be reduced as compared to Non-FBC tuners.
    Receivers with FBC tuners can and will offer blindscan, but the blindscan feature is for DVB-C and DVB-T tuners only. This can be confusing, and has tricked me before.

Unicable is another item that has no practical use in a North American FTA system.

10. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    From the looks of things I hope my Duo2 lasts (6 years and counting) or I may have a withdrawal episode considering my dish setup and currently available receivers.

There was a post (arlo) on WOS regarding a vu+ 4k receiver with plug in tuners for blindscan, but he couldn't get an answer from WOS or other posters as to which tuners (plug and play) he should buy.

I would be willing to buy the receiver he mentioned and any plug and play tuners just to test and see if they worked here.

Will be keeping an eye for any other arlo postings.

11. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    GigaBlue has a nice receiver that will work here. But the tuners for it that support blindscan are not going to be the best.

The Vu+ receiver will be fine IF you use it like it is designed to be used, which is subscription services. I do not see anything from Vu+ right now that has a DVB-S blindscan and a decent tuner. So you would have to import your channels, and would probably not have an extremely sensitive tuner or the ability to receive apsk transponders. (Really hard to say about apsk transponders because DVB-S2X tuners should support them.) Then anything else that does not work in North America or anything that you wanted to add such as ATSC tuners would be on you as no one else is supporting it.

12. Thanks ViP3R thanked for this post
  13. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad athoik didn't support it with his SDG image. I would have tried one just to see.

14. Thanks ViP3R thanked for this post
  15. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tried one of what? SatDreamGr supports these models of Vu+. They may add one if you ask.
    VU+ Duo
    VU+ Duo2
    VU+ Duo4k
    VU+ Solo
    VU+ Solo2
    VU+ Solo4k
    VU+ SoloSE
    VU+ Ultimo
    VU+ Ultimo4k
    VU+ Uno
    VU+ Uno4k
    VU+ Uno4kSE
    VU+ Zero
    VU+ Zero4k

I expect new receiver makes & models may be out in the first quarter of 2021.

16. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    "GigaBlue has a nice receiver that will work here. But the tuners for it that support blindscan are not going to be the best."

Too bad athoik didn't support it with his SDG image. I would have tried one just to see.

"They may add one if you ask."

The Gigablue is nearing its life cycle too.

"I expect new receiver makes & models may be out in the first quarter of 2021."

Would be a nice surprise.

17. Thanks ViP3R thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast