Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    GTMedia HDTV Mate - ATSC 1.0/3.0 USB Device
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    GTMedia has recently introduced a new ATSC 1.0/3.0 USB device. Currently this device works only in Android version 9 or higher. I have agreed to test this device and make attempts at improving it. The HDTV Mate ATSC 1.0/3.0 device currently depends on the GTMedia HDTV Player, which can be installed using Google Play or by direct download if needed.

The purpose of this thread is to show how this device operates and make attempts to improve it. There are not many ways to view ATSC 3.0 right now, and the HDTV Mate provides an economical way to view ATSC 3.0 channels. The HDTV Mate works - at least to a degree - on ATSC 3.0 channels, but more work is needed to have a polished and finished product.

The developers for the HDTV Mate are located "Out of Country" and do not have direct access to our ATSC 3.0 services here in the United States. This means it will be up to us to supply them with the information they need to fix it, and then it will be up to them to fix it once the proper information has been provided. Proper information for fixing the HDTV Mate will include detailed problem descriptions, recordings of ATSC 3.0 Streams, and videos showing either problems or correct performance after problems have been fixed.

Pretty much the HDTV Mate is in the same predicament as any other ATSC 3.0 device or solutions that are currently available. IMO, the whole ATSC 3.0 rollout has been a mess, and it appears that the ATSC group as a whole does not know what the Hell they are doing. How can developers develop when the ATSC group cannot decide on things that dictate development? The DRM encryption thingy comes to mind as one example.

Screenshots comments, videos...etc of the HDTV Mate will follow in this thread. Anyone is welcome to ask questions, comment, or participate in a constructive way. Currently I am running the HDTV Mate ATSC 1.0/3.0 on a FTA receiver that is dual boot (enigma2/Android9). This particular ATSC 3.0 device has a lot of potential, but some work needs to be done before the full potential may be realized..

2. Thanks lme, mc6809e, eastof111 thanked for this post
    Likes 172, Hyper Casey liked this post
  3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tried the mate on my Samsung phone and the player has an option menu not visible on my Sony Bravia tv.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Also, the phone does an adaptive scan much faster than the tv. 8 cores vs. 4 cores in the cpu makes a big difference in phone vs. tv.

4. Thanks el bandido, Hyper Casey thanked for this post
  5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    A link to this thread has been sent to the GTMedia Developer.

Seems Any Android 9 is having problems with HDTV Mate. I have tried two, one in the Qviart, and another Android 9 on a tablet. Both of these devices under-performed somewhat when compared to a smartphone running Android 11. So I am guessing there is a problem with Android version 9.

I find the HDTV Mate ATSC Tuner to be sensitive and have overall excellent performance. The db(snr) signal meter seems to be well adjusted. Weak signals that cannot be locked are also shown, which is great for making antenna adjustments or other attempts at signal improvements. The tuner seems very stable and does not fluctuate wildly or for no apparent reason.

Picture quality from the HDTV Mate/HDTV Player combination are at minimum acceptable to good with some channels displayed as nothing but excellent in picture quality. Even the old stuff found on Heroes, Start TV, Charge...etc look at least decent at minimum, with some looking amazingly well considering their 40-50 year age. So for me, No Picture quality issues.

Closed caption Works on my channels that have this feature.

6. Thanks eastof111, Hyper Casey thanked for this post
  7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shown below are screenshots of the tuner signal display. Also some HDTV Player menus and things like epg are shown. Overasll, this is put together very well IMO.

8. Thanks eastof111 thanked for this post
    Likes Hyper Casey liked this post
  9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Someone will ask what is wrong or not working. Actually it seems very little is wrong, but what does not work is causing big problems.

Channel changing is slow for a number of reasons. Probably the biggest channel change problem is the player tries to adjust the resolution and aspect ratio each time these items are changed in the video. Probably due to bad coding, poor coding or no coding (take your pick), the channels change either slow or they hang. If there are no resolution or aspect changes, then channel changing seems to work OK. Keep in mind this is being setup by people outside of the U.S. which is almost the equivalent to working blind.

DRM encryption does not work for me. This is being worked on and conversations are being had about it. I gotta ask though: Does DRM decoding work on ANY ATSC 3.0 device? Does DRm require an Internet connection to work? I think everyone is having some sort of problem with DRM decrypting.

I have not tried to record anything yet.

Android 9 currently has a problem with scanning ATSC 3.0 channels. The ATSC 3.0 frequency shows no signal until you try to scan it. Then a signal for the ATSC 3.0 frequency is shown. A rescan after the frequency shows a signal returns nothing. Android 11 smartphone scans and returns channels on my ATSC 3.0 frequency.

Slow channel changes or channels hanging, not being displayed AND ATSC 3.0 channels not being scanned are my current issues running Android 9. Let's see if these areas can be fixed or improved...

10. Thanks Hyper Casey thanked for this post
  11. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Channel changing or almost any other function selection on my tv, I believe is a fault of the android os and the remote control supplied by the tv vendor. I have to use a Harmony remote in order to make navigating less frustrating and faster on the tv. But, still it's not perfect and makes android and most other programs associated with it a pia to use.

12. Thanks el bandido, Hyper Casey thanked for this post
  13. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see ebay started selling the Gtmedia mate for 59.99 with free shipping included from China.

14. Thanks el bandido thanked for this post
  15. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    This one has my curiosity.....

The ota epg on my tv has many channels missing info, which never seem to populate. My Hauppauge 950Q epg can find more info on some channels than the tv. But, the channel selected with the 950Q, will eventually populate, if left on that channel for two or more minutes.

The mate seems to populate the epg info much faster and seems to be much more complete than the other two mentioned.

I am guessing that they all use the same source for epg.

16. Thanks el bandido thanked for this post
  17. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am fairly certain the HDTV Mate gets the epg from the terrestrial stream and not through the internet just like the other devices uou have mentioned. Why the HDTV Mate does a better job with the epg when they all use the same sources is unknown to me.

I think the HDTV Mate will be a good, solid device if a few things such as channel changes can be fixed on it. I have been in touch with the manufacturer about the problems of this device and they insist not only will the problems be fixed, DRM decryption will work as well. I find the HDTV Mate is a cool running usb device which is also good. it will be interesting to see what their next device update does. We will see...

18. Thanks eastof111 thanked for this post
  19. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The hdtv player v. 2.16 is available for upgrade.

20. Thanks el bandido, Hyper Casey thanked for this post
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast