Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    Getting there..... I wasn't satisfied with the 84e location and mount. So, I returned the DTV dish back to its original location. I thought the 84e would serve a better purpose to be used as a test bed for future lnbfs.

I looked for some NPRM units for the 84e but the supplied j-poles were not big enough to mount it. Plus, it would not be as portable.

Found this old beat up heavy duty "tool stand" on Craigs list.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

After a little refurb and inverting the tool stand, it looks like it will do the job and doesn't look too bad. It's just light enough to be moved by one person and yet heavy enough to sustain minor wind gusts. If need be, I can always use some cinder blocks for additional weight.

Time to set up the 84e; hopefully it will be worth the effort.

2. Thanks el bandido, ViP3R thanked for this post
    Likes el bandido, Megatron817 liked this post
  3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Had some time to mod another 84e bracket to fit the five year old DMSI lnbf that I was using on the old DTV AT9 dish for 87 ku. Here are some comparisons.

The Eagle Aspen on the 84e dish.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and the numbers are:

The DMSI on the 84e dish.

Nice increase, especially on the LPB xpndr. Just a note.... the 84e had a Channel Master Quality Approved sticker dated 10-15-2002 in the shipping carton. I am guessing the Eagle Aspen lnbf was probably from the same time period.

Time to start mounting some older lnbfs later and compare some numbers.

4. Thanks Megatron817, el bandido, ViP3R thanked for this post
    Likes el bandido liked this post
  5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Porbably not easy to get a perfect skew with the eagle aspen and the no rotating feedhorn. all I saw on the old primestar lnb and feedhorn I could skew either +40 or -40 by removing the feedhorn/lnb flange screws rotating and replacing screws. The dish looked skewed in the pictures or is that a optical illusion?
    Last edited by Megatron817; 11-27-2018 at 09:41 PM.

6. Thanks eastof111 thanked for this post
  7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used to have about 3 5 gallon buckets that were full of cheap ku lnbs. Most of these lnbs were bought new over a period of time. On any given dish, you will have lnbs that will work a bit better than others. Some lnbs will work better at a certain frequency, and some lnbs will work better on a certain dish than others. Finding a lnb that matches your particular dish is the key!

A 1 db increase in SNR is not much, and it may mean more on one fta system than it does on a different fta system. Sometimes I have been able to get a 1db increase in SNR on a given frequency by changing or deleting a switch. A decent RG11 coax may also help increase the SNR by a small amount as compared to the smaller Home Depot or Lowes coax.

It is good to see a dish being installed with care and tuned for the best possible signal. The fine details are overlooked a lot and this is why you see posts about low or lost signals.

8. Thanks eastof111 thanked for this post
  9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    In reality, there's probably an additional loss added to this setup because I added two extra coax lengths to reach the 84e dish from the switch box. Both lengths are using unknown old couplers that may not even be rated for the higher sat frequencies.

I did try skewing the Eagle but it didn't make any difference. The dish skew was sufficient to handle the task.

Once I have everything to my liking, I will run a good cable to the switch box. Should there be any new linear lnbfs (no universals) show up for sale, I will try them out on the same sat.

Too bad there isn't a good Norsat type lnbf with built in switch available. Maybe there is an equivalent out there, but I haven't come across one.

10. Thanks el bandido, Megatron817, ViP3R thanked for this post
  11. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Received my extra lnb brackets for the 84e dish today. Too bad these guys are closing, considering they have excellent service (impaktproducts.com).

12. Thanks Megatron817, el bandido thanked for this post
  13. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Found a good lnbf on Amazon that compliments the 84e. For 8 bucks with free shipping included it's quite a bargain. It produces about the same db strength as the old DMSI lnbf listed in above posts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Thanks Megatron817, el bandido thanked for this post
  15. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking of using and old Invacom QPH-031 linear/circular with a new motorized dish. Before doing so, I modded a 84e bracket and mounted the Invacom. Basically, it is about one db lower than the Maverick posted above. Back into the closet except for emergency use.

16. Thanks el bandido, Megatron817 thanked for this post
  17. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Received an Inverto Black Ultra RT lnbf from a U.K. retailer. Below are the comparisons between the Maverick Mk1-PLL lnbf which I have been using for over a month. The Mk1 is still my favorite low priced lnbf because of the performance it delivers.

But, the Inverto is now an upcoming favorite for low signal transponders, which once locked in, will produce a higher db signal and keeps the signal level from fluctuating to a minimum.

Montana pbs on my fixed DTV ku dish has been having low signal problems during the past couple of months, while the other pbs mux is solid. The Inverto should be a good replacement for the current lnbf. This low or irregular signal is usually resolved with a larger dish, but when space limitations does not allow it, a good quality lnbf hopefully resolves the problem.

Below current MK1-PLL signal level:

Below Inverto signal level:

18. Thanks ViP3R, el bandido, Megatron817, chewie, rayydio thanked for this post
  19. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eastof111 View Post
    Received an Inverto Black Ultra RT lnbf from a U.K. retailer. Below are the comparisons between the Maverick Mk1-PLL lnbf which I have been using for over a month. The Mk1 is still my favorite low priced lnbf because of the performance it delivers.

But, the Inverto is now an upcoming favorite for low signal transponders, which once locked in, will produce a higher db signal and keeps the signal level from fluctuating to a minimum.

Montana pbs on my fixed DTV ku dish has been having low signal problems during the past couple of months, while the other pbs mux is solid. The Inverto should be a good replacement for the current lnbf. This low or irregular signal is usually resolved with a larger dish, but when space limitations does not allow it, a good quality lnbf hopefully resolves the problem.

Below current MK1-PLL signal level:

Below Inverto signal level:

Hello East
    can you share the name of the place where you purchased the Inverto.
    Let us know.
    Regards.
    Chewie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast