1. Collapse Details
    ATSC Tuner Tricks for Edision MIO/MIO+ Receivers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    Currently, there are three ATSC tuner types that are supported in the MIO/MIO+ receivers. The supported tuners are Hauppauge 850, 950Q, and 955Q. Drivers for these tuners can be downloaded from the Plugin feeds. TNAP images for North America will have these drivers installed by default when possible.
    Every combination that contains two of the three supported ATSC tuners have worked for me in the MIO receivers. The combinations I have tried are: (850, 850), (850,950Q), (850,955Q), (950,955Q). I am fairly certain that any combination of two supported ATSC tuners will work in the MIO receivers, but I have not tried all possible combinations.

It may also be possible to use more than two ATSC tuners in the MIO receivers. For the main purpose of this thread, we will only discuss using no more than two ATSC tuners. Using two or more ATSC tuners allows extra benefits in recording programs, streaming programs to other devices, and using a split antenna system where two terrestrial antennas are pointed in different directions.

Two benefits of recording with two ATSC tuners are (1) being able to record channels on two different muxes or frequencies, and (2) being able to record channels from a single mux or frequency while being able to watch any other channel that is available for your antenna system.

It should also be noted that ATSC support for the Hauppauge 850 and 950Q usb devices stopped for a brief period of time, probably only in images with a kernel of 5.2 and 5.3 due to driver issues. Support for the Hauppauge 850 and 950Q usb devices was restored in images for the MIO line of receivers using kernel 5.4.0 and 5.4.1. Most of the current images are using kernel 5.4.1, which supports all three ATSC devices.

2. Thanks Titanium, mc6809e, stephan94 thanked for this post
  3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Splitting ATSC channels into 2 groups can easily be done with one or two ATSC tuners by using manual scan of a single frequency.
    First,Decide what channels, and their frequencies you want to split from the main ATSC group, which is Terrestrial.

Next, scan each individual channel frequency that you want to split by manually entering the frequency, and selecting DVB-C Annex B under System as shown in the next screencap. Repeat the process for each frequency that has channels you want to split.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

The split DVB-C channels will be labeled as Cable Services

For appearance, we can even change the name by altering a system file. But for the purpose of this thread, we will keep the stock names which are Terrestrial and Cable.

4. Thanks Megatron817, Titanium, MikeB, mc6809e, pa28pilot, stephan94 thanked for this post
  5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Running two separate antennas (different antenna for each tuner) is also possible if the correct plugin is installed.

Dimitrij has created a plugin that will allow us to completely split or separate two ATSC tuners. The name of this plugin is slowzap, and a copy of this plugin is attached. I have made some slight modifications to this plugin so it is easier to use for our purposes, and this plugin can be used to split other tuners, such as DVB-S2X (A) and DVB-S2X (B). For the purpose of this thread, we should only discuss the ATSC split or separation.

The MIO receivers need to be set correctly when using separate Terrestrial antennas, or to make the receiver switch automatically between two ATSC tuners when a channel is selected. It is also a Very Good idea to decide in advance what channels will be on each tuner, and the frequencies for the channels. Making a detailed list at this point is advised. Tuners will be shown in the receiver.

In the Customize menu of the receiver, select the main ATSC tuner under Preferred tuner ATSC. For my setup, I have selected Tuner D

Two things can happen next.
    (1) You may assign channels from the default ATSC list, which is Terrestrial in the receiver.
    (2) You may split the ATSC channels into two groups as mentioned earlier. Each channel group (Terrestrial, Cable) can have its own ATSC tuner assigned to it.

Assigning different tuners to the ATSC Terrestrial default list, Or splitting the ATSC channels into two groups with different tuners assigned to them will have the same steps.

Now it is time to open the plugin menu of slowzap, and set the preferred tuner for it. The preferred tuner for slowzap should be opposite of what was chosen in the Customize menu of the receiver. As an example, I have set up Tuner D as my preferred tuner in the Customize menu of the receiver, so I will assign ATSC Tuner C to the slowzap plugin.

NOTICE:
    Once you have set the ATSC tuner in the Customize menu of the receiver, and in the slowzap plugin, Do not change them! Change or swap the antenna coxes instead. Once you assign channels to the tuners, they do not need to be inverted or swapped. Doing this may cause the receiver to lock up or may cause other issues!

The last step is to assign channels to the tuner in the slowzap plugin.
    Highlight "Add services" in the slowzap menu, then press OK. These actions will bring up this menu:

Pressing the yellow remote button will allow you to select from the lists and add channels.

Pressing the Green remote button at this point will bring up the satellites list which will also contain the ATSC Terrestrial and Cable lists.

Follow instructions in the slowzap plugin menu for channel entry, and repeat as needed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

6. Thanks eastof111, Titanium, MikeB, ViP3R, mc6809e, pa28pilot, stephan94 thanked for this post
  7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are many different ways you can use the slowzap plugin, and split the ATSC channels. I have shown the one that I like best, and works without any issues or problems for me.

The slowzap plugin stores the channels in a file named slowzap.conf, located in /etc of the receiver files. I edit this file directly using the namespaces for the channels I want separated. I also have two separate lists for ATSC, but only one is needed. Two separate ATSC lists is just my preference. What you do with this information is up to you. Questions, Suggestions, or Different Ways of doing this are welcomed. EB

8. Thanks Titanium, MikeB, ViP3R, mc6809e thanked for this post
  9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi. I recently purchased a 950Q for my OS Mio 4K+ and it works great.

My 950Q did not come with an A/V input cable. I am interested in using the A/V input, and if it's possible I will buy a cable.

Does the 950Q driver for the OSMio 4k+ (TNAP) support the A/V input feature?

10. Thanks el bandido thanked for this post
  11. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if the the A/V input will work with the Linux drivers or not. You will have to just try it and see....

12. Thanks vmaximus thanked for this post