Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Can't Get Motor to Move...Settings Help Requested
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    Hello everyone.... I'm brand new to the Edision OS Mio+ 4k receiver. (one day....now.)
    However been doing FTA hobby stuff for over 12 years.
    Using the TNAP-4.1 image. So I am a newbie with these Linux type boxes.

Motor: Stab HH-120.
    Ku band dish correctly aligned and motor is working with other older satellite receivers.
    I do not have any issues going to satellites with other older receivers using USALS or DiSEqC.

Trying to get my Edision OS Mio+ 4k receiver set up and having some difficulty in making motor to move.

I’m not sure what settings to use or exactly where to put them. I have tried various settings but not working. DiSEqC 1.2, USALS, other…..

For testing, I used an older FTA receiver to have the motor move to AMC 21 124.9W for PBS channels.

I turn off and unplug the older FTA receiver so my motor stays fixed at AMC 21 124.9W.

I then plug SAT antenna cable into unplugged Edision OS Mio+ 4k receiver Tuner A.
    Turn on Edision Mio+ 4k receiver and do a blindscan with fixed tuner/no motor control settings. Everything scans in and I can watch TV.

However, as mentioned earlier, I am having trouble with correct settings for both USALS or DiSEqC 1.2. I cannot get motor/dish to move to different satellites. What am I doing wrong?

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Any good plug-ins for motor control and signal strength tuning?

Thanks in advance….

2. Thanks el bandido, Megatron817 thanked for this post
  3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Set the DISEqC mode to 1.2 as shown below. Motor controls work for both USALS or DiSEqC 1.2.
    It is a good idea to enter your USALS coordinates before using DiSEqC 1.2 when using a ku motor.
    Use a different lnb number for each lnb you have. There is not need to use a different lnb number for each satellite.

Positoner setup will help with fine tuning a motor. Auto focus should not be used on ku motors. Auto focus will work with c band actuators.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

4. Likes Megatron817 liked this post
  5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for reply.

I have been messing with the settings this morning and have gotton the motor to move in both USALS and DiSEqC 1.2.
    Using "Postioner" and I can get signal tuned in with "Tune" and inputing correct transponder frequency, polorization and signal rate.

I'm using SES 3 at 103W as an example. I also am using second older FTA receiver hooked up to a second monitor. ( I split the sat antenna input for both receivers). (I isolate the sat dish motor control so only the "Edision Sat receiver controls the motor) This allows me to "fine tune" the signal on the "Edision receiver" by watching a live broadcast (NHK Japan) and keeping an eye on the signal strenght, quality and bit rate errors indicators on second monitor with the older Sat reciever.

My next issue is that when I try to exit the "Positioner" menu (to do a blind scan., etc...), and go back to main tuner menu, I see that the satellite has moved its position and I loose the picture on the second/older FTA receiver setup. For some reason the motor position settings are not saved on the "Edision receiver". I saw a menu for position for saved motor but nothing works to save the Edision's tuned in satellite position. Why is the Edision not saving the satellite position in either Usals or DiSEqC 1.2?

Also, what image are you using?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Hawaii; 11-07-2021 at 11:23 AM.

6. Likes Ectron1 liked this post
  7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The image I am using is custom, but it would be similar to TNAP 4.1. The information below should apply to almost every enigma2 image/receiver.

Using a splitter can cause its own unique set of problems, so it is not suggested to use one.

Where a satellite is actually at, or the point where the motor actually has to move is stored in the motor. The receiver simply sends a command in DISEqC or USALS, and the motor uses its stored information to move to that point.

If the motor is correctly calibrated already then you need to do nothing else except enter either the correct USALS coordinates or the correct DISEqC 1.2 number in the tuner configuration menu, which may be called antenna setup in closed sourced receivers. A screecap of this menu was posted earlier in this thread and shows a stored position of 23 for the DISEqC command (Menu--->Setup--->Tuners & scanning--->Tuner configuration).

In Positioner setup, you may change the location for a DISEqC 1.2 stored setting, but the correct DISEqC 1.2 number needs to be assigned to the satellite first in the tuner configuration menu (antenna setup).

Probably the easiest way to fine tune a ku motor in the Positioner setup menu is to slightly change the degrees of the satellite until the best signal is achieved. For example, 103w is listed in the receiver as 103.0. I move the location of the satellite in Positioner setup to 103.3w where the signal peaks. The degrees of the satellite must be returned to 103.0 in Positioner setup before the 103.3 location can be saved to a DISEqC position number. ( Return to the correct degrees of the satellite, then arrow up to Memory index & press the green remote button to save.)

8. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll give it a try in a bit.
    Got a few chores to do.
    I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you.

9. Thanks el bandido thanked for this post
  10. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Remember, You should not have to fine tune anything if the ku motor was set correctly using other receiver(s), The information for how far or where a motor has to move to aim at a satellite is stored in the motor and not in the receiver....

11. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apreciate all the help.

I will try your pointers, hopefully tomorrow.

I think if I get a chance tomorrow, I will tweak my satellite. It might be slighly off.

12. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is an android app called Signal Meter. This app has several features including a talking signal meter that works very well for dish adjustments. You will need to have the enigma2 receiver connected to a wireless network that has a decent signal level at the dish, and an android phone with the app installed for this to work. I have installed and adjusted several dishes using nothing else for alignment except the Signal Meter app.

13. Likes MikeB, cyberham liked this post
  14. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again. I have it installed and I am checking it out.

15. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by el bandido View Post
    There is an android app called Signal Meter. This app has several features including a talking signal meter that works very well for dish adjustments. You will need to have the enigma2 receiver connected to a wireless network that has a decent signal level at the dish, and an android phone with the app installed for this to work. I have installed and adjusted several dishes using nothing else for alignment except the Signal Meter app.
    I used this app about two weeks ago after seeing it mentioned in a post here. Because of it, I was able to easily adjust my polar mount 1/4 inch to the West, and max out signal a bit better on the ends of my arc. Did it all, standing right at the dish itself. Didn't even realize it was off, and just that 1/4" made all the difference in receiving the CTV mux DVB-S2 channels that moved to 119w. Couldn't lock them at all before that, all I could get were the various DVB-S Weather channels. This is on a SAMI 7.5' dish, aiming a bit through a notch between two maple trees.
    My name is Mike.
    My posting name at Satguys is Primestar31

16. Thanks el bandido thanked for this post
    Likes el bandido, Megatron817, sattech64 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast