Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    TNAP for OS MIO 4K Request.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    Hi all. It's been awhile. I've been playing around with TNAP on a slot in my Mio.
    On the 'guys site a few had asked about having the display default to time display after a short timeout of channel display when changing channels.
    Apparently TNAP doesn't, the same as other images.
    I gave a link to the same issue on openatv and a member fashioned a patch to make it easier than navigating to the display settings file.
    Has this by chance been addressed?

Also I had asked if there was a way to show what particular satellite you were aimed at in the reception/signal windows much like chinabox receivers display.
    I'm not speaking of satellite names taken from satelites.xml. But the actual satellite I.D. contained in the downlink signal. Again, chinabox receivers do this well.
    This was to assist finding satellites on movable dishes where adjacent sats had the same tp.
    Many couldn't grasp my question, some said it couldn't be done.
    A fellow showed me screenshots of a vix image that did just that. The sat he was aimed at showed on the screen and when he moved the dish to another with the same tp, it showed that sat. The sat display window blanked out when signal was lost and when the receiver acquired a signal 6-8 degrees away, it locked signal and showed the sat.
    To clarify the best I can. He was aimed at a sat on 3140V. Didn't change a thing in the setup window. Turned his dish to another sat with the same tp (3140V) and the receiver displayed what the dish was aimed at.

Man, if I would have had that, my time finding ku sats with the lnbf beside my C2-W would have sure gone easier.
    Is there a module in vix or a plugin that would enable sat ID from the beacon or pilot common to different images?

What do you think?

2. Thanks el bandido, Megatron817, ViP3R, skink thanked for this post
  3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    TNAP Is an OpenPLi based image, or it could be thought of as an OpenPLi image that is modified for North American use.
    The majority of enigma2 images are based on OpenPLi or OE alliance cores. You will find some images that have parts of OpenPLi and OE Alliance installed in them, but for the most part, enigma2 images are either based on OpenPLi or OE Alliance cores.

OpenVix is an OE Alliance image, which means some things will be different. OE Alliance images as a whole usually have more features or settings than OpenPLi for various reasons. This is why you see display settings or skin features in OE Alliance that you do not see in OpenPLi, such as the clock display setting for the MIO.

Changing the clock setting in TNAP for the MIO is no big deal. Some things that are in OE Alliance images are easy to copy to OpenPLi, but other things like the 12/24 hour format in the skins is not. It just depends on what feature you are wanting to borrow, and what it takes to run that feature or make it operate.

Having the satellite you are looking at or Identifying a satellite is a different animal. Satellites have beacons that transmit information about the satellite, but there are not any 100-200 dollar fta receivers that are capable of receiving the satellite beacon in a way that the information could be understood. A bit of information on beacons is here:[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I do not know of any fta receiver that identifies a satellite using anything other than ordinary transponder frequencies. What you call China boxes are Closed source receivers, and all Closed Source receivers along with enigma2 receivers that I have seen with some sort of satellite id get it from a transponder list. Really this is all that is available since the satellite beacon cannot be decoded.

Using satellite transponders to identify a satellite is unreliable. For example, the blindscan plugin may look for a signal for the first transponder in the satellites.xml list. So if you select 85 west ku band in the blindscan plugin, the first transponder listed for 85w ku in satellites.xml will be searched for a signal. If a signal is found, then Lock may be displayed in the blindscan plugin screen. ( This feature in the blindscan plugin is disabled in TNAP due to being unreliable.)

Similar checks for a satellite signal could also be used in the signal meter plugin, or anywhere else a signal is trying to be received in enigma2, but again, this is unreliable. For a lot of users, a satellite id that is unreliable is worse than no satellite id at all.

If you can find a satellite id feature in any enigma2 image that works correctly on all available satellites in North America (Linear and Circular), then I will do my best to implement it into TNAP. But I do not think such a feature exists.

4. Thanks Megatron817, ViP3R, skink thanked for this post
  5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I come in peace. Haha.
    Everything you replied to is crystal clear. Except.
    Two "Closed source" receivers that I have here. A Linkbox 8000 local and a Dreamlink T5 will in fact and positively display the satellite it's on.
    When changing DISEqC settings on a multi lnbf configuration, or using the receiver to find satellites and aim to peak. Yup, right there.
    Set it just like I indicated for similar transponders shared on multiple sats.

Take for example my ku lnbf install you assisted me in getting going.
    My intended starting sat was 121W. I got a strong signal on the MIO.
    But when I did a blindscan the list was full of funky transponders that didn't make sense and no scanned channels. But I got a list of tp's.
    Okay?
    Looked at the sat charts for tp's on sats in and around 121W. Couldn't make hide-nor-hair out of anything.
    So for giggles I hooked the Linkbox up. I set it up for manual scan and punched in a tp setting the MIO dispalyed in its scan results.
    110W Echostar 10!!!! What the hell, I didn't even know a standard ku lnb was capable of doing that.
    Without changing a stinkin' thing in the box except for punching in the tp settings for 121W....ba-bang! When I got the dish bumped over to it with a signal...."121W Galaxy 23 LOCKED".
    At any rate, just knowing that my C Band/ku aim offset difference was X degrees. It made calculating where a ku sat was in the sky compared to the same C Band.
    And yeah, to find and store positions in my ASC1 I used the LB closed source receiver as a signal finder/sat identifier.
    Maybe you might get a little "Oh, really....wow I didn't know that" like I did. Peace!

6. Thanks ViP3R, Megatron817 thanked for this post
  7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    LinkBox is a renamed Pansat. Pansat went out of business after getting busted for helping hack DishNet. Old Pansats were great at identifying Dishnet or EchoStar satellites, but could not identify most fta satellites. If you carefully check the LinkBox or any other cheap fta receiver from 15west to 133west on all available bands, I think you will find it also does not know what a lot of satellites are.

There are only two ways I know to id a satellite: Transponders or Beacons. Our receivers are not capable of receiving the beacon info, so that only leaves satellite transponders, which can be problematic. Shown below is the current VIX image, with the receiver tuned to 99w c band. Notice it identifies one transponder correctly but thinks the other transponder belongs to a different satellite?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

To me, identifying a satellite incorrectly is worse than not identifying the satellite at all.

8. Thanks ViP3R, Megatron817, skink thanked for this post
  9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some of the lock errors in the blindscan plugin for Vix:

We will start with 97w ku, which correctly shows a Lock.

Then we will move directly to 95w ku which shows a False Lock.

Now we go to 91w c band which shows no lock

Now back to 95w ku which shows no lock

I have a decent signal on all the above satellites. The Lock feature is unreliable, so it is deleted in TNAP.

10. Thanks ViP3R, MikeB, Megatron817, skink thanked for this post
  11. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Off topic, but while I had Vix loaded, I decided to do a blindscan test.
    TNAP is optimized for North America, and it shows in the blindscan.

Vix blindscan @ 95w c band.

TNAP-4 blindscan @ 95w c band.

Low symbol rate for both of these scans is supposed to be set at 1.

12. Thanks ViP3R, Megatron817, skink thanked for this post
    Likes MikeB liked this post
  13. Collapse Details
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't believe it either.........until
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Thanks el bandido, ViP3R, Megatron817, skink thanked for this post
  15. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by el bandido View Post

The TNAP blind scan refers to TNAP-4? Is TNAP-4 a new image now available for download?

16. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not yet as I am just testing it. TNAP-4 will probably take several more weeks to be ready.

17. Thanks ViP3R thanked for this post
  18. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by el bandido View Post

I am not sure how valid that comparison is, did you run the channel scan on both ViX and the private version of TNAP to check what the difference was in the number of channels locked? As we have seen in another topic on the forum, the TNAP image is capable at locking the transponders but there are some instances where a locked transponder does not result in a channel being stored.

Personally, I think the true comparison is channels stored in the receiver.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast