Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Edision MIO RS232 Connection
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    Well dammit. Did it before. Now I have a brick. Help maybe?
    My splash was openatv. Was for a long time. Tried to flash the Edision spalsh (just when the osmio4k boots).
    After. It stuck on 50% booting like forever. I cut the power to it, pulled the USB. Plugged it back in.
    Nothing. Blank screen. But something appears to be going on inside because the IR blaster lights up for a few seconds and my ASC1 display comes on until it times out.
    Couldn't happen at a better time, huh!
    Read around hear and there. Mainly here for an unbrick.
    Tips from you EB on a serial, RS232 recovery. Yeah I plugged it in and hit the menu key on the remote rapidly. No joy.
    May I say....CRAP!
    Is there a method to try using the serial port. I didn't crack the receiver open to see if there is a pinout silkscreened. Is it a 3 pin port? Rx/Tx/Gnd?
    If there is a way to try to bring life back in this critter. Is there a pinout available? And a guide to flash what I guess would be the bootloader? I have that on a stick ready to go.
    That is if I can get a terminal at least connected. Baud rates, etc?
    Unbelievable.

2. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please upload (post) the file(s) you tried to load. Check power supply.

3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The same file that worked some time back:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

The PS checks fine and can supply adequate current. Of course you know that's the first place I went.

As mentioned. It was working just fine. When the USB was in. I booted it. It displayed boot and then flsh just like normal when loading an image.
    Then went to 50% and hung for maybe 5 minutes. Before it was instant. I remember that.
    Yeah even used another 12 vdc supply with the same specs. Known good.

It's morning now. Was unplugged from everything all night. Same deal. Plug it in and the ir blaster comes on for a few seconds and ASC1 display pops on. Box is dead, dead.

So. RS232 flash is mentioned. I need to make a cable. Yeah. I've flashed routers, hdd firmware.
    They put the port on it. And mention 'for flashing firmware'. Is there a so, how do I do it anywhere at all?

I'd like to at least see if the cfe is still kicking. dammit. I'm positive here. But pissed. Just when the fat man raised prices and was considering a 4k+.

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    RS232 connection settings are standard. 115200 for the baud rate, then leave everything else at default. I use RS232 at times for debugging. Before you try RS232, check and see if the receiver is trying to make a network connection. i doubt it is with no display lights on the front, but check for network connection first by doing a search with the receiver connected.

RS232 connections on the MIO receivers are made using an audio type plug. You probably only need TX, RX, and GND.

5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by el bandido View Post
    RS232 connection settings are standard. 115200 for the baud rate, then leave everything else at default. I use RS232 at times for debugging. Before you try RS232, check and see if the receiver is trying to make a network connection. i doubt it is with no display lights on the front, but check for network connection first by doing a search with the receiver connected.

RS232 connections on the MIO receivers are made using an audio type plug. You probably only need TX, RX, and GND.
    Exactly. Nope no network, no putty login. I was searching for the loader tool if there is one. Obviously there is someplace.
    And using a lan scanner application. Nothing. The Ethernet port looks dead with no flashy led's. Since it's dead I don't think a crossover cable will even help.
    Looking at different 1/8" tip/ring/sleeve, trs, rs232 wiring schemes.
    Some have the tx at tip, others rx at tip. and some use no ground but use the cts on the sleeve. And then others have the tx/rx wires tied to the same point either on the tip or ring.
    yaaaaaa!!!
    Perhaps a pad on the board. I dunno. But a loader to blow in binaries. And if the bootloader is corrupt or just the image firmware.
    EB you might know that. If an image is borked do we still get the boot display? Or can a puked image also make for a dead display?

I mean. For now I do have a Zgemma H7. Probably could have an equal to a mio4k+ if I could make a decision and find one. Or a TBS card came to mind also. What the hell, right? 2 ports is all I would really need. Thoughts on one that doesn't cost an arm and a liver until I get the serial flash method and procedure for the mio sorted?
    <cussing bad stuff under my breath with a positive attitude. lol!

Edit:
    Pls don't get peed. I might hit up satuni and ask them . I brace myself for abuse. You know....programmers and soap boxes.

6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ArloG View Post
    Exactly. Nope no network, no putty login. I was searching for the loader tool if there is one. Obviously there is someplace.
    And using a lan scanner application. Nothing. The Ethernet port looks dead with no flashy led's. Since it's dead I don't think a crossover cable will even help.
    Looking at different 1/8" tip/ring/sleeve, trs, rs232 wiring schemes.
    Some have the tx at tip, others rx at tip. and some use no ground but use the cts on the sleeve. And then others have the tx/rx wires tied to the same point either on the tip or ring.
    yaaaaaa!!!
    Perhaps a pad on the board. I dunno. But a loader to blow in binaries. And if the bootloader is corrupt or just the image firmware.
    EB you might know that. If an image is borked do we still get the boot display? Or can a puked image also make for a dead display?

I mean. For now I do have a Zgemma H7. Probably could have an equal to a mio4k+ if I could make a decision and find one. Or a TBS card came to mind also. What the hell, right? 2 ports is all I would really need. Thoughts on one that doesn't cost an arm and a liver until I get the serial flash method and procedure for the mio sorted?
    <cussing bad stuff under my breath with a positive attitude. lol!

Edit:
    Pls don't get peed. I might hit up satuni and ask them . I brace myself for abuse. You know....programmers and soap boxes.
    Did you try the usb emmc flash? Extract the Tnap 5 usb image to a flash drive then open it and rename noforce file to force.

7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    No joy. Renamed noforce to force. Sent to a fresh formatted USB that I know is good.
    USB in, power plugged in. Nothing. Only thing is the right amber led on the Ethernet port lights for a few seconds.
    Dead display. Tried punching the menu key on the remote when plugging in.
    Tried the trusty old Linux router 30/30/30 trik. Nope.
    Power supply putting out 12.22 VDC no load. A #192 bulb lights ok and voltage holds.
    2 in parallel still light up ok. So ps is good.
    She's dead. I think it has to do with the bootloader. And a serial flash is the last resort.
    I know things happen.Deal with other peoples things every day. So not pointing fingers, but sure it wasn't me.
    Crazy they put the port on it but don't document it. Stupid crazy.

8. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ArloG View Post
    No joy. Renamed noforce to force. Sent to a fresh formatted USB that I know is good.
    USB in, power plugged in. Nothing. Only thing is the right amber led on the Ethernet port lights for a few seconds.
    Dead display. Tried punching the menu key on the remote when plugging in.
    Tried the trusty old Linux router 30/30/30 trik. Nope.
    Power supply putting out 12.22 VDC no load. A #192 bulb lights ok and voltage holds.
    2 in parallel still light up ok. So ps is good.
    She's dead. I think it has to do with the bootloader. And a serial flash is the last resort.
    I know things happen.Deal with other peoples things every day. So not pointing fingers, but sure it wasn't me.
    Crazy they put the port on it but don't document it. Stupid crazy.
    You lucky you got the usage out of the Mio that you got. Quite a few reports of failure over the last years. I've had two non plus Mio's go here as well.

9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would be a good idea to see if any output can be seen through the RS232 port. Mainstream RS232 support for FTA receivers disappeared almost entirely around 10 years ago. Most home computers that have been made in the past ten years do not have a RS232 port, which means usb to RS232 adapters are needed. A lot of people have had problems with usb to RS232 adapters, especially using Windows operating system. Linux usually automatically finds and loads the needed drivers for usb to RS232 adapters, but usually not so with Windows.

There are cables available or used to be available on Ebay that will give a RS232 connection for the MIO receivers, but which one to buy can be a crap-shoot. I own several phone jack to RS232 cables, and RJ11 to RS232. Plus I have had to build several for different FTA receivers.

If you don't have the correct cable, then you will need to buy or make one.
    It is possible to wire a RS232 cable where it shows data but will not accept data.
    Then you have the null and straight issue where TX and RX need to be crossed. Almost all FTA receivers made within the last ten years are set for RX and TX to be crossed for cloning.

Trying to figure out wiring for RS232 connections on an injured receiver can be a challenge because you have no idea if the RS232 port is working. But usually only 3 wires are needed: RX. TX, GND. Understand where these three connections are on the computer. then all you have to do is figure out where they go on the receiver. Opening up the MIO may give a clue as to the order of the wiring. Sometimes the PC boards are labeled Otherwise, insert a phone jack into the back of the receiver and start going through the possible combinations. The receiver will have to be restarted every time a new combination is tested.

The cable I use for MIO RS232 plugs directly into the receiver and computer. Life is easier with a built-in RS232 port on the computer. Some RS232 usb adapters are straight while others are null. The RS232 connection in 2023 is beyond the capability of the average user, so very little information is available for it. A bootloader for the MIO exists in a download. But there are no instructions for installing it through RS232.

I cannot recall trashing a bootloader on an enigma2 receiver. I have been using enigma2 receivers for a good 10 years and am very rough on them. I also collect them. Usually when the bootloader quits in an enigma2 receiver, there was some other problem besides the bootloader. This is part of the enigma2 receiver that is hard to destroy.

10. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Most of what you stated is what I deal with a lot.
    Couple of things. Since it looks like you have a cable that works would you be able to use a multimeter and check if we have the following. The DB9 shell pins should be marked whether M or F.
    Pin 5 is ground and is probably the sleeve (closest to the molded housing and cord) of the 1/8" plug.
    And what about pin 2, TXD and pin 3, RXD.
    Which would be connected to the tip and which to the ring? No chance 2&3 are connected to the same place. Surprised me when I saw the different wiring schemes for them.
    I have an Arduino which is great for serial flashes. And the FTDI cable that came with the ASC1. Both never fail.

Also I have to ask. You're obviously familiar with using the cable with the mio.
    What do you use it for and what applications do you run when using it?
    TFTP? Terminal session? Have you ever flashed an image using the port or bits of anything to the mio? Oh yeah. What baud rate so i don't get immediate gibberish.

In the morning I will tell if I can get any life out of the port. Usually just a switch of tx/rx lines if no coms (if it's gonna work) and then the bootloader sings out it's little song when powered up.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast