1. Collapse Details
    Edison Mini Vs. Edison Mio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    Hello,

I have been reading the forum and it appears there is a lot of Interest in the Edison brand receiver.

Therefore, I would like to ask a question. Can the Edison OS Mini be used in the United States? The reason I'm asking this question is because the Edison OS Mip + 4K appears to support not only satellite but terrestrial television and cable, which I believe only supports European Standard. This would make these features of the box irrelevant to a satellite enthusiast in the United States. Is this the case? Do I understand this correctly?

If this is the case it would appear the EDISION OS Mini 4K DVB S2X would work in the USA. True?

Finally, Where do you source these receivers?

Thanks,

Wilbur

2. Thanks el bandido thanked for this post
  3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Almost all fta receivers that support terrestrial and/or cable use the European standard. FTA satellite reception is pretty much a world-wide standard, so any fta satellite receiver will Usually work on the c and ku band satellites in North America. Some fta receivers wail work better than others, and some fta receivers will have more capabilities than others.

There have not been any new fta receivers manufactured for some years. What is being sold as new (2021-2023 models) is rebranded or re-boxed stuff, mostly made in years 2016-2018 or earlier. The 2020 pandemic and the loss of interest in fta satellite reception on a worldwide level are two reasons new fta receivers are not being produced.

The Edision MIO, MIO+, and Mini 4K fta satellite receivers were made before the pandemic, and a lot of effort was made to allow these receivers to work exceptionally well in North America. The MIO receivers that have internal Terrestrial or Cable tuners Will Not work in North America on Terrestrial or Cable services. The MIO receivers do support some ATSC Hauppauge usb tuner models which allows the MIO receiver models to work on our Terrestrial TV signals.

The Edision OS Mini 4K was produced a little bit later than the MIO or MIO+ models. The MIO and MIO+ models are no longer sold new in North America by any reputable seller. Hypermegasat sells the Edision Mini 4K, which does a good job on both Satellite and Terrestrial signals that are available in North America. See the link below if you are interested in it.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

4. Likes MikeB liked this post
  5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Correct me if I'm wrong...but I think the Mini is about the same as the Mio+ except with only a single tuner. The second tuner is handy for using the picture-in-picture feature or if you want to watch something on one tuner while recording on the other. A second tuner is handy if you have lots of dishes. But, for many, a single tuner would be totally adequate.
    Edision OS Mio+ 4K UHD w/TNAP 5.1, 1-metre motorized dish (150W+ to 81W), Invacom QPH-031 Ku linear/circular LNBF, Avenger PLL321S-2 universal LNB, Titanium C1PLL LNBF. Shaw 60e elliptical dish 103W/99W. Hauppauge 950Q OTA USB, Clearstream 2V, CM-7777 preamp.

6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Mio+ does have two satellite tuners but they are not the same. The MIO+ would have been a much better receiver if both satellite tuners would have been the same as tuner 1.
    Meine Dreambox One ist ein Stück Scheiße!.

7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    @el bandido,

Thanks so much for the explanation! Covid certainly did a number on everyone around the world in more respects than we can imagine!

I looked one web site that supports, plugins for the STBs and I didn't see much for the Edison. Is this because it is so old now?

I did see things for Octagon and now I don't know which is better although the Octoagon is about half the price of the Edison.

8. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    You will find websites that have this and that plugins, supposedly for a certain enigma2 receiver, but reality is different. The python version for enigma has been updated in the last couple of years which made some of the older plugins obsolete. Some enigma2 plugins were written over 15 years ago.

Pretty much, enigma2 is enigma2. Enigma2 plugins are enigma2 plugins. Most plugins that work on Octagon also work on Edision and other enigma2 receiver brands. There are exceptions of course, but enigma2 and enigma2 plugins are for the most part, Universal. Then there is the thing of usage. Most enigma2 plugins were designed for Europe. There are plugins that work anywhere in the world too, but usually the list of enigma2 plugins that are useful in North America is small.

9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good point about the difference in tuners in the Mio+. I'd still buy Edision over anything else. In fact I did. I electronically blew my original Mio dual tuner up (too high input voltage) so I bought a second Edision. You forget the slightly higher price long before you stop enjoying features of a good product. Don't let $$$ get in the way of buying a good hobby product.
    Edision OS Mio+ 4K UHD w/TNAP 5.1, 1-metre motorized dish (150W+ to 81W), Invacom QPH-031 Ku linear/circular LNBF, Avenger PLL321S-2 universal LNB, Titanium C1PLL LNBF. Shaw 60e elliptical dish 103W/99W. Hauppauge 950Q OTA USB, Clearstream 2V, CM-7777 preamp.

10. Thanks el bandido, WilburSmith thanked for this post
    Likes Executive liked this post
  11. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I looked the specs of this stb and must ask if its for sure it supports terrestrial out of the box or is that with a usb turner?

Is it so that if I want a good North American experience I need the Edison stb?

Is there a good website to learn about these different plugins and what they can do?
    Last edited by WilburSmith; 09-27-2023 at 06:22 PM.

12. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't understand the significance when you say "have been the same as tuner 1." And what's making them different?-
    Last edited by WilburSmith; 09-27-2023 at 06:46 PM.

13. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WilburSmith View Post
    I looked the specs of this stb and must ask if its for sure it supports terrestrial out of the box or is that with a usb turner?

Is it so that if I want a good North American experience I need the Edison stb?

Is there a good website to learn about these different plugins and what they can do?
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Supported Hauppauge usb tuners work on the Edision MIO receivers. Most enigma2 images require the proper Hauppauge drivers to be installed from the feeds before the Hauppauge tuners will be recognized.

Quote Originally Posted by WilburSmith View Post
    I don't understand the significance when you say "have been the same as tuner 1." And what's making them different?-
    Put simply, The MIO+ had 2 different DVB-S2 tuners installed from the factory. The second tuner is not as good as the first tuner. The point here is sort of moot because there is no known place to buy this receiver new from a reputable seller.

There are not going to be good answers for some of your questions such as plugins because there is no particular website dedicated to enigma2 plugins. Almost all enigma2 plugins in .ipk format will have a description about their purpose or what they are supposed to do. As mentioned earlier, most plugins for enigma2 receivers are designed for Europe.

Receiving satellite FTA channels is a Do-it-yourself hobby in North America. There comes a point in a hobby where you have to spend a bit of money to participate. No FTA receiver can work any better than the satellite antenna(s) it is connected to. There is plenty of information written on this site about the Edision MIO 4K and Mini 4K receivers. There is also information about the Octagon SF8008 written on this site. Research as much as you can, then make a purchase, Or Not!

14. Thanks WilburSmith thanked for this post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast