Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    Yeah. As was mentioned. They are satellite receivers. Do you need printing support?
    The driver bank would be handy if you got a Happague USB OTA tuner.
    EB can answer. But I would be thinking as I see in all the images I've tried. ALL of the plugins are available in any E2 receiver image in one way or another.
    Just don't expect that the tasty looking plugin you installed will always show up as an icon you can select. Because many, many plugins are terminal based.
    It's a Linux based os and as such is the case in a Linux pc with package manager. Packages that you install will also be terminal based.
    Will you be installing a ton of the plugins? Probably not. Unless you're a super geek.
    Will you need a ton of plugins over what is built into the image? Probably not again. But ya' can. I guess.
    Did I say Firestick? Roku? A VPN on your router?
    As a noob. Try to keep the horse in front of the cart. Seriously.
    TNAP can be tweaked a lot. I like the cute Anime chick though!
    Last edited by ArloG; 09-30-2023 at 10:09 AM.

2. Thanks WilburSmith thanked for this post
  3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ArloG View Post
    Yeah. As was mentioned. They are satellite receivers. Do you need printing support? Yes
    The driver bank would be handy if you got a Happague USB OTA tuner. This I don't get.people buy theversion of a receiver that works T/C in Europe but then get the Happague to watch ATSC in the U.S. Those stbs must have something really valuable inside to do this.
    EB can answer. But I would be thinking as I see in all the images I've tried. ALL of the plugins are available in any E2 receiver image in one way or another.
    Just don't expect that the tasty looking plugin you installed will always show up as an icon you can select. Because many, many plugins are terminal based.
    It's a Linux based os and as such is the case in a Linux pc with package manager. Packages that you install will also be terminal based. Awesome! command line! Are you also trying to say that desktop launcher is impossible?
    Will you be installing a ton of the plugins? Probably not. Unless you're a super geek or an EXPLORER.
    Will you need a ton of plugins over what is built into the image? Probably not again. But ya' can. I guess.
    Did I say Firestick? Roku? A VPN on your router? Are the common vpn's supported out of the box? What about Firestick and Roku?
    As a noob. Try to keep the horse in front of the cart. Seriously. Definitions, definitions definitions.....

Yeah. As was mentioned. They are satellite receivers. Do you need printing support? Yes
    The driver bank would be handy if you got a Happague USB OTA tuner. This I don't get.people buy theversion of a receiver that works T/C in Europe but then get the Happague to watch ATSC in the U.S. Those stbs must have something really valuable inside to do this.
    It's a Linux based os and as such is the case in a Linux pc with package manager. Packages that you install will also be terminal based. Awesome! command line! Are you also trying to say that desktop launcher is impossible?
    Will you be installing a ton of the plugins? Probably not. Unless you're a super geek or an EXPLORER.
    Did I say Firestick? Roku? A VPN on your router? Are the common vpn's supported out of the box? What about Firestick and Roku?
    As a noob. Try to keep the horse in front of the cart. Seriously. Definitions, definitions definitions.....

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WilburSmith;104545]This I don't get.people buy theversion of a receiver that works T/C in Europe but then get the Happague to watch ATSC in the U.S. Those stbs must have something really valuable inside to do this.]

It gives you the PVR of your OTA that is why I use the Hauppauge with mine. Also nice to have all channels on one platform and not switch back and forth with the tv inputs.

5. Thanks el bandido thanked for this post
  6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Going back to the comparisons of the 2 boxes from the title, I just noticed that mini has only 1Gb for memory.
    on the other hand, SF8008 has the advantage of wifi and gigabit wire over mini, but as EB mentioned it is at disadvantage having 2 tuners like osmio 4k/+.
    Nihil sine Deo !

7. Thanks el bandido thanked for this post
  8. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    To be clear, I prefer two or more identical satellite tuners in a FTA receiver. But the fta receiver with the single f connector on the back for one tuner seems to have a slight signal advantage over identically built 2 or more internal tuner receivers. The SF8008 is a good FTA receiver and has the capability to receive channels on very skinny transponders.The three Edision 4K's are only good down to about 800SR but the SF8008 can go lower than that.

9. Thanks Megatron817 thanked for this post
    Likes lme liked this post
  10. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wil. As far as I know there is 0 need to print anything from your receiver. Guessing since you don't have anything going yet, you may not realize that.
    Give us a scenario where you believe you would need to print anything. Because that's really not how the box is used to grab or compose anything you would print.

Try to just accept it. Look on ebay or any site that advertises RTL SDR Dongle. Software defined amateur radio was developed using a cheap DVB-T dongle with a Realtek chipset.
    They come with a remote control and a small antenna. And work great for Europe. But not so much in the USA.
    You can receive any radio frequency that is sailing through the air. What you do with it has to do how you process it. Phones here use CDMA, etc. signal processing. Europe uses GSM.
    Not 1000% the whole "school" of things. You can search for European television standards. We used NTSC for years. Europe used PAL. Their TV audio was extracted from the TV signal from one frequency.
    Ours on another. They used a SCART connector on cable boxes and TV's. We don't even know what the hell a SCART connector is.
    It all comes down to satellite receivers for FTA and designed for Not-the USA do not have NTSC or ATSC capable tuners.
    Don't get all sussed. Does your TV have a good tuner that gets stations good? IF you want to receive TV antenna stations and possibly record them. Grab a Happague USB tuner and call it a day.

Please. Just come down to your receiver choice. You'll need a dish and LNBF also. Just do it. Don't be a worry wart. Before I get in any deeper. Listen up.
    YOU DONT NEED CUPS PRINTING SUPPORT. Unless one of the dudes here come up with "yes you do and here's why".

There is NO desktop launcher. No guy with a smiley face or spinny thing as you click on a program on a pc. You have plugins. And they open. And you select the menus and sub menus with your remote control. And if you're lucky you get an on screen keyboard. It's a satellite receiver. Not a personal computer. Period.

Well you can explore all you want. Explore what? The file system? You do that with an FTP program such as FileZilla. And SSH using something like PuTTY.
    Did you really skim over the available plugins? Maybe you would change the "skin". Add a weather widget thingy. Add a plugin that allows you to tweak your video.
    Explore what? What do you thing you'll explore? C'mon, pop up an idea.

Will you use the box as you would a Firestick, Roku, use Kodi like a villain? If you know anything about a VPN you get a configuration file to load into your VPN such as OpenVPN or Wireguard.
    Did you look through the plugins (again!) and see anything pertaining to VPN? I shall reiterate. If you have a router connected to the Internet. And If it has built in OpenVPN. You will be 1000% better off using the router. Period.

Definitions? Obtain : to gain or attain usually by planned action or effort.
    Look. I knew a little bit about what I needed to do the get my old dish back to snuff. I took good advice from others as far as the equipment I needed. We've done all of that I hope.
    The ball is in your park. Either you grab the equipment or you bail out. With a whole lot of info than you've had before. In the 14 forums you've asked the same questions in. Period.
    You know what? You wanna' be as prepared for everything you're possibly going to need and feel as comfortable as you can in purchasing an Enigma 2 Linux based receiver?
    Get out the Visa. Got to Ricks. Get the Octagon SF8008 receiver he has for sale. And call it a day. You WILL need all of the supporting peripherals too.
    Be Nike. Just do it. Just stay away from the grape juice. Deal?
    Last edited by ArloG; 10-01-2023 at 12:01 PM.

11. Likes el bandido, lme, MikeB liked this post
  12. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not to jump over the subject, but I have a question about the mini:
    is it a multiboot box or has 1 slot only ?
    thx.
    Nihil sine Deo !

13. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty much, The Edision Mini 4K is a stripped version of the MIO/MIO+. It has a plastic case, no built-in wifi, and I think less ram. There may be a few more differences. Multi-boot and DVB-S2x satellite tuner is the same as the other MIO 4K's.

14. Thanks lme thanked for this post
    Likes ArloG liked this post
  15. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by el bandido View Post
    Pretty much, The Edision Mini 4K is a stripped version of the MIO/MIO+. It has a plastic case, no built-in wifi, and I think less ram. There may be a few more differences. Multi-boot and DVB-S2x satellite tuner is the same as the other MIO 4K's.
    Got an answer from Hypermegasat that it has 4 slots, 1Gb of memory & 1 tuner with F type connector.
    Nihil sine Deo !

16. Likes ArloG liked this post
  17. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. The slots are made much like you can partition a hard drive. That happens when an emmc image is installed. Slots are created when it's installed. Then other images are installed from within the settings menu. The emmc image is also know as recovery. Very similar to being able to install different operating systems on a partitioned hard drive. Once you boot to an image in the receiver you don't have to choose from a selection when you cold boot or restart the box. You'll see. Its all pretty easy.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345