Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    To be clear enigma2 plugins can be installed onto the opensource firmware like TNAP 5. Is that right? And TNAP 5 is the preferred open source firmware as it has been developed for the U.s. market?

2. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    It depends.
    You basically have two types of images for enigma2 which are OpenPLi and OE Alliance. Some plugins can work in either types of image, but others cannot. The enigma2 image will need to have the same python version the plugin has in most instances. Much easier to ask about a specific plugin and image because your general question about plugins and images is very broad. You have two basic types of images that have been built on python 2.7, 3.9, 3.10, and 3.11. Then you have plugins that have been created over a roughly 20 year period.

TNAP is designed for use in North America.

3. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    @ArloG Thanks for the great amount of information! And yes I need to get thinks cleaned and lined up so I know what I'm doing. The image you provided shows a ton of plugins. I will need to review this latter.

I didn't realize that one STB has wifi and the other not. But how about wifi over usb? Is that possible? Per the mini, EB said there are only refurbs that are available nowadays. I was thinking of getting the one he mentioned in a link earlier but not sure if it will be the best. Especially if there are no warranties. I still can get a new one which is about $30 less but it has European plug and no TNAP whereas the use bought one has none of these issues. Yet maybe its better to just get the Mio+4K.

Thanks again for the much appreciated input!

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    @ el bandido Ok so I understood this entirely incorrectly. Enigma2 is a firmware, not plugin, that one can install into their linux stb. SO once you know the firmware you want to use you then can match it against the requirements of the plugins you want to use.. Then over time if you want to try other flavours you just install the new firmware and match the plugins for that new firmware. Is this correct?

5. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    IT seems to me that these are the top thee STB's people admire. But how about the Octagon? it's nearly half price then the other leading brands. Does TNAP 5 work with it?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

6. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please post a link to whatever website that is for your receiver prices. Just because it is advertised doesn't mean it is available...

The SF8008 has a respectable blindscan and works good in North America. But there are several different models of SF8008, some better than others.

7. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WilburSmith View Post
    IT seems to me that these are the top thee STB's people admire. But how about the Octagon? it's nearly half price then the other leading brands. Does TNAP 5 work with it?

yes tnap works on sf8008:
    As far as i read in reviews sf8008 has only 1Gb in memory vs 2Gb for edision, and it looks like zapping is sluggish on sf8008.
    Also chip manufacturer (hisilicon) is regulary updating the chip driver to alleviate the issues with this box.
    You should read more reviews about both items before decide. But osmio 4k &/or + are not on the market anymore, except for the chinese copies...
    Nihil sine Deo !

8. Thanks el bandido thanked for this post
  9. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WilburSmith View Post
    @ el bandido Ok so I understood this entirely incorrectly. Enigma2 is a firmware, not plugin, that one can install into their linux stb. SO once you know the firmware you want to use you then can match it against the requirements of the plugins you want to use.. Then over time if you want to try other flavours you just install the new firmware and match the plugins for that new firmware. Is this correct?
    Enigma2 is referred to as an image. Plugins are installed in the image. Another way to look at it is: Enigma2 is the firmware. Plugins are installed in the firmware but they have to be compatible for the firmware else they will not work. IMO, you are spending too much time on plugins because ther are not many we need or can use.

And receivers are not refurbs or something else. They are new receivers unless otherwise specified that were manufactured a few years ago which is common in electronics.
    Meine Dreambox One ist ein Stück Scheiße!.

10. Likes lme liked this post
  11. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a SF8008 with dual internal DVB-S2x tuners. IMO, that would be the version of SF8008 to get instead of the single tuner version.

12. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    You know what? I read your response earlier this morning over coffee. It sucks that because of an "your inbox is full" message which was purged that I deleted the screen shots and forgot the member's name. But in fact after recommending the os mio 4k(+) to him and he received it. It was kinda' like your sigh as you found the DM One to be a bummer. I mean. I thought I was giving a wise and responsible suggestion.
    In those screen shots he showed something like a 10.5 dB for a weak transponder on his VU+ and a solid picture. And something like a 8 point-something on the mio on the same sat./tp.
    With just a cable swap straight to the c band lnbf. Go figure.
    And the 8 dB picture was broken up. A strong tp showed a 14+ sig. on the VU+ and 11 on the mio.
    So his response resembled your DM One opinion.
    Similar scans showed in fact that a few tp's the mio missed vs the VU+. I had no answers. Certainly feeling like crap because I though he got an honest opinion of the receiver to buy.
    Cockamamie, pipe dream, fairy tale, you must be smoking crack. I couldn't tell that to the poor dude. Bad tuner from the factory? Send it back for a replacement under warranty?
    What would eb do for Mr. Douglas?
    That's about all I got.
    I see now that you have quite a few boxes in your stash. Pretty cool actually.
    What's effed up is I spent a bit of time before plopping down here to do whatever I'm doing here right now to search for tuners for the VU+ and Gigablue that had the same chip as the mio's have.
    Hah! It's an untold fairy tale. Wondering why. You would think a third party would offer something. I even pondered by the odroid forum where tuners are being hard wired to the dev. board.

13. Thanks el bandido thanked for this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast