Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    HD & DVB-S2 FTA Receiver for Under $50.00
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site
    Cheap and affordable fta receivers have been available in the U.S. since 2010. The first cheap FTA receiver was sold under the Solomend brand name which was later changed to Openbox S9. Many people have purchased the Solomend and Openbox S9 receivers and I have seen mixed reviews and comments about them.
    The original firmware for the Solomend was a dog. You had a few basic features and a blind scan. You could not use a switch and a motor at the same time (universal lnbs excluded), plus the clock did not work. The Solomend was discontinued and it was replaced with the Openbox S9. Firmware for the S9 has slowly improved over the past two years. Now we have several features that are available on the S9.
    Today we have Openbox S9, S10, and Openbox S11 FTA receivers. Ram memory was greatly improved in the S10 model, and this allowed for the use of a different firmware than the S9. Some firmware has been written that works on the Openbox S9, S10, S11, and the newer Skybox S12 receivers. IMO, a single firmware for multiple Openbox receivers does not allow the full potential of the S10 and later receivers to be realized because the ram memory limits have to be equal to the S9.
    The Openbox receivers got a little cheaper as new versions were produced. Today, it is not uncommon to see new S10 receivers selling for 100-125 U.S.dollars. Close to the end of 2011, the Skybox S12 receiver became available for the U.S. and Canada on Ebay. The S12 receiver takes the same firmware as the S10 and the S11 Openbox receivers.

One thing that separates the S12 from the other Openbox receivers is its size and design. The S12 is tiny when compared to the original Solomend or an Openbox S9. The power supply for the S12 is built into the wall plug which allows for a more compact size for the receiver. The S12 can also be easily powered with 12 volt dc batteries which make it attractive for campers and hunters.
    The smaller size of the Skybox S12 also allows us to have a smaller shipping fee since these receivers are made in China. I bought a Solomend directly from China in 2010 and I paid close to 50 U.S. dollars in shipping fees. You can compare that to the 21 U.S. dollar shipping fee that can be paid for a S12 in 2012.
    The Skybox S12 is available now to anyone at Mixeshop.com for 49 U.S. dollars plus shipping. Mixeshop.com is located in China and they accept payment from PayPal, Western Union, or Wire Transfer Payment. PayPal is the only form of payment that I recommend because with PayPal, you do have some buyer protection.
    There are several shipping options available for the S12, and the cheapest is about 21
    U.S. dollars for Airmail. This would bring the total for a Skybox S12 purchased from Mixeshop to about 71 dollars with Airmail shipping. (Shipping will be lower per receiver if multiple receivers are purchased.)
    Not all Skybox S12 receivers are equal. I purchased a S12 in 2011 that did not have a display, and I figured all of the S12 receivers were like that. The S12 that I got from Mixeshop has a nice digital display plus a working clock.

I think the Skybox S12 is a very good deal, especially when you consider the $49.00 price and all of the options the latest firmware has.

El Bandido
    1-16-2012

Code:
    http://www.mixeshop.com/new-arrival-skybox-s12_p810.html#show

2. Collapse Details
    Bellboy Guest
    Just ordered one should get the info soon.

3. Collapse Details
    Bellboy Guest
    EB what is the S12's Home site?

4. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    The S12 does not have a homesite that I know of.
    Files can be found in the link.
    Code:
    http://www.greatdvb.com/support.htm

5. Collapse Details
    Guest Guest
    Great bang for the buck, can't go wrong.

6. Collapse Details
    Bellboy Guest
    Going to have to wait to the end of the month they are on holiday there lol

7. Collapse Details
    Bellboy Guest
    Just got the S12 Wow what a small unit. Going to have something to play with today. lol

8. Collapse Details
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Colossus View Post
    Just got the S12 Wow what a small unit. Going to have something to play with today. lol
    You don't really want me to respond to that do you? lmao

click click b00m

9. Collapse Details
    Bellboy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ViP3R View Post
    You don't really want me to respond to that do you? lmao
    From time to time U get me back LMAO

10. Collapse Details
    Bellboy Guest
    This unit IMO great for the price. $70 includes shipping & I get it in 7 days. Easy to setup & the smallest I have seen U can put it in your pocket.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast