Just reporting that my time has been fine with the 8/24 update on my MIO 4k.
This telnet thing, I recently saved my etc/enigma2 folder to my iMac just by looking at the drives that are on my network (the MIO shows up just like any other computer hard drive) and doing a copy from the MIO and pasted it to my computer. I trust it will work the other way if I have to restore the files. Are PC's able to do this too? It saves starting another program and putting in all those commands.
YES, copying back and forth also works fine with a regular pc. through File Manager However, three caveats (NOTE: make a backup before messing with files!):
1: Make SURE you don't accidentally drag a folder or file away from where it belongs, and into another folder. I had that happen on my old laptop, (with the init.d folder) that had a touchy trackpad. It bricked my receiver temporarily, and I had to restore it.
2: IF you copy/edit (with Notepad++ software)/copy back any files, you MUST restart the receiver for it to re-read the changes from the file. Sometimes just restarting Enigma is good enough, but not always.
3: Don't live-edit files while they are still on the receiver, it may go South on you. Make a copy of the file on your computer, and edit THAT. If you suddenly have something go wrong while editing, you didn't ruin the original file live on the Mio at that point.
