Satellite Orbit Identification in TNAP Images

Most likely, you have not set anything for the position you are using.

Let's say you use position 81 in the ASC1 for 81w. You will need to manually move or drive the dish to where you think the 81w satellite position is then store the position in the ASC1 as 81. Most likely, whatever position number you are using for 81w right now is blank, meaning no value or location has been stored for it, so the ASC1 does nothing when you call it.
 
As I stated in my previous post, 81W position # is the same # (32) in ASC1 list of positions & edision(s) sat list.
In ASC1 positions list, I set a "guested" position counter (where I "think" 81w might be), but there are no channel(s) scanned in Favorites list of edision(s): can't get a signal lock yet.
If I enter a fake channel in Favorites list & click on it, ASC1 doesn't move the dish to 81w "guested" position !!
I have a "guested" position with fakes tps & fakes channels entered for my true south 83W sat (dead for long time now), and when I click on one of the fake channels in Favorites list, ASC moves the dish to that position.
The entrie for fake AMC9 @ 83°, was added manually in the satellites.xml file & is working, but manually added metod doesn't work for 81W !?! My satellites.xml file is an "ISO-8859" encoded type: does this may cause the issue ?
 
Your satellite has ku transponders and not c band transponders. Change it to something like this:
<sat name="81.1W Arsat 2" flags="1" position="-811">
<transponder frequency="4174000" symbol_rate="1667000" polarization="1" fec_inner="4" system="1" modulation="1"/>
</sat>

Or whatever. Just be sure to use C band transponders for a C band satellite.
 
I diagree, as there are other satellites with only ku-band signal (30w, 77w, 53w, 71w, etc), and no such issue.
I fix it by scanning a tp from 77w-ku band, under 81w service list, and no more issue. I belive at list one channel (real or fake), has to be in the service list, so asc can move the dish to that position.
Thanks for your help & time.
 
You are correct! . Enigma2 requires something to tune before it will act on a position in some instances such as blindscan. Adding the channel manually for the targeted orbit satisfies that tuning requirement, as does having proper transponders in satellites.xml for the band being used on the target orbit. I prefer to have a proper satellites.xml as it is easier for me.

But you got to remember: When a receiver is flashed clean, there are no channels....And you do not have to manually add channels to get the dish to move for blindscanning, provided the satellites.xml is set correctly. In this instance, ASC1, Vbox, Gbox all work the same as they cannot communicate with the receiver except for receiving diseqc commands. Two way communication for diseqc positioners does not exist for us.
 
Hi guys. Hate me, don't hate me. There are a couple of ways to skin a 'possum.
I always save my satellites.xml file to pc. And after a blindscan, add new transponders or update the ones with slightly different frequency, sr. mode.to the existing xml. The master xml in the box might be 4020 V 30000. While the blindscanned finding will display for ex. 4019 V 29999.
Lets you suck every last bit of signal. Not sure if AGC in these E2 boxes is just that or AFC. It's how i do it anyhow.
In a new installation. And I use E-Channelizer exclusively. Open my backup lamedb and push it to the box.

My satellites.xml only iincludes the satellites that I can aim for my location. 34W-127W. Adding the wild feeds in the 80's-90's lets me scroll Signal finder and see if any services are listed. A new blindscan that may turn up new tp's can be configured so it does a fast scan because the master (included with a new install of an image) won't include the previous results found in ./tmp. Works for me and not remotely suggesting that is how you should roll.
I did post my tailored xml some time back. Got smacked around a little by EB. Hard enough to get the gears spinnin'.
The factory and Xml.org files have transponder configuration lines that are padded with tabs. Blindscan results are padded with spaces. And it could be because however E-Channelizer does it's thing. I just see the blindscan header with text pertaining to it. That however the lamedb stuff works. Is that the reason for the difference?
At any rate. I found that if you use an xml padded with tabs.....all tabs (no spaces). All is good. And the other way aroind. All entries having four leading spaces. Nothing bad happens.
It took revealing non-printable characters and XML Tools in notepad++ to see what I was initially having problems.
Problems like I was able to scan forward to a point when configuring or selecting satellites for scanning. Screw up and scroll one past the intended one. And was unable to scroll backwards. Adding the built in XML Tools and enabling non-printables flagged the screw up's.
Again. Not saying that is how you should do things. I just like a little bit of work to save time later on or when working with a new image.
Still don't know the diff. between lamedb v4 and v5.
 
It is great that you have devised a system that works for you! Customizing is what FTA should be. Most of your editing could be handled automatically using a script, but that would take all the fun out of hand editing. And having a large amount of transponders for each satellite position could be akin to walking into church and counting all the members present, then walking out back and counting all of the tombstones.

Changing a fairly large symbol rate of 30,000 to 29,800 is almost nothing. You can also change the frequency a MHz or two or more on a 30,000 symbol rate transponder and probably not see a difference in signal.
Changing:
30,000 to 29,900 = 0.33% error
30,000 to 29,800 = 0.67% error
Consider:
30,000 ksps Is about 36 MHz
500 ksps is about 600 kHz (0.6 MHz)
This is why we want transponders closer than 1 MHz to exist in TNAP images....

But now take a 500 ksps carrier...Suppose the real carrier is: 500 ksps and the database says: 700 ksps.
That's the same 200 ksps absolute error as 30,000 versus 29,800. But percentage-wise = 40%
The lower you go in symbol rate, the more small changes in frequency or symbol rate become noticeable.

The way enigma2 is setup matters. Scan.cpp and other enigma2 files in /lib/dvb are mostly designed for one dish parked at a provider satellite. Modifying the enigma2 files help. For Edision, modifying the drivers helps. Combine the enigma2 edits with the driver edits and you get something approaching decent.

Throw in the capability of blindscanning below 1000 SR to around 2-300 SR and you approach card territory. Edision 4K's can do all of this... Once you do all of that, the satellite .xml edits may or may not be as significant.
 
Back
Top