TNAP-4.1-Test Images for Edision MIO/MIO+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try to make the modifications again using TS satellite editor with the new lnb setting.
Blindscan will be next.
This is what I did .
I wanted to add the new frequencies after doing the tests
positive.
It was then that I realized that the changes
were not taken into account.

or do I have to redo a new flash?
 
That sucks.

Observations: What I find especially interesting about this, even IF you have it set to only use NTP time, and set it to sync even in Standby, is IF you also have the Mio parked on a transponder with the proper time set, the time stays perfect.

Conversely, IF the same settings above, BUT, you have it parked on a transponder with IM-properly set time, it will NOT keep time, and jumps at random, until the next NTP sync interval anyway, which can be set by the user on TNAP 4.0 and below.

In other words, it seems TNAP is partial to wanting to use Transponder time, no matter what changes we make so far...

Most likely, Transponder time has nothing to do with the reported time issue because there is supposed to be some logic built into Transponder time which would keep the time from being reset or "Jumping". The receiver has an internal clock that is sometimes called a Real Time Clock (RTC) or Hardware Clock. If the internal clock is not set or updated, then it will give whatever time value is stored in it when called upon to give the time.

Setting the internal clock to update most likely fixed the remaining time issues. This is based on the observations of two people who took the time to provide some information about the problem, and test the changes. So I guess the time issue only effected two people or maybe they were the only ones interested in really fixing it???

Beginning with TNAP 4.1 and most likely any future versions TNAP, the time will be mostly automatic. Currently, Internet time will sync every 30 minutes, which is probably too much. My system runs fine with a time sync from the Internet every 24 hours or longer, providing the internal clock is updated. A restart or reboot of the receiver will also cause the time to sync with the Internet. Any additional time sync problems need to be reported, else the time sync is fixed and working.

Some changes need to be made in Blindscan and Positioner setup. Nothing else has been suggested to add or change. The Test Images will be removed once changes are made to Blindscan and Positioner setup.
 
Do you stream video from m3u8 files or watch recorded video files via your Edision? If yes, do those actions still allow the Edision to always keep good time?

My Mio+ again started having erratic time. So Tuesday night I flashed the latest image and did not do an auto restore again. Back to scratch. I scanned in the satellites and channels. Nothing else was restored. My plan this time is to do nothing but watch satellite channels. I won't use any external editors, or stream video, or even record or watch videos. I want to keep a controlled environment. So far, clock seems fine though I don't watch it all the time. I will leave it like this for a week and work at a different hobby.
 
Do you stream video from m3u8 files or watch recorded video files via your Edision? If yes, do those actions still allow the Edision to always keep good time?

Yes, and no, time can still can go random even with streaming, at least with TNAP 4.0.

I'm still running TNAP 4.0 though, and as long as it's set to use NTP time sync, it goes random whenever it likes. That's with hardwired internet, and nothing else in my house using NTP time goes random like this receiver does.

I simply can't figure out why it does this. I don't remember it ever happening with the original version of TNAP except when you had recording timers set, and changed to a different slot with a different image. (when you switched back to the image you set the timers in, they were all changed to like the year 2075. IIRC, it's posted here in the forum when it happened). BUT, this clock time drifting did start happening even before I loaded TNAP 4.0.
 
Stream videos or do what else you normally would do with the receiver. Let's see if the time is fixed during streaming. Thanks.
 
Well, I hate to add my name to the time list but here's what happened to my MIO 4k today. I happened to walk by the receiver at about 4:40 AM and noticed it said :13. Then at about 12:50 the panel read something like 8:20. Both times about 4 1/2 hours off. I then changed to the transponder I wanted to record (with know correct transponder time) and the clock did not change so I turned if off and watched it. I have a daily timer set to start at 13:00 and about a minute before that the time corrected to 12:59 and it started to record at 13:00. Maybe the front display has nothing to do with clock used for recording? I'm just guessing.
 
Well, I hate to add my name to the time list but here's what happened to my MIO 4k today. I happened to walk by the receiver at about 4:40 AM and noticed it said :13. Then at about 12:50 the panel read something like 8:20. Both times about 4 1/2 hours off. I then changed to the transponder I wanted to record (with know correct transponder time) and the clock did not change so I turned if off and watched it. I have a daily timer set to start at 13:00 and about a minute before that the time corrected to 12:59 and it started to record at 13:00. Maybe the front display has nothing to do with clock used for recording? I'm just guessing.

Post a screenshot, clear picture, or the contents of the About page in the receiver (Menu--->Information--->About). Thanks.
 
About an hour after it stopped recording I happened to look at the display and it was off about 4 1/2 hours again. It's not a problem since the timer worked perfectly.
about.webp
 
Your image is too old and does not have all of the updates. Your image is dated 8-18, but needs to be 8-23 or higher.
Please Flash to 8-24 image and retest. Time problems should no longer exist in the 8-24 image if the receiver is set correctly. But if they do, we need to know about them and see if they can be fixed! Thanks.

8-24-2021-image_20210825223603.webp

Check the About page after Flashing and verify it says 8-24 or 8-25 for a build date.
 
I appreciate you sending me the 8/18/21 TNAP 4.1 when I couldn't get my receiver to boot. I'll gladly update to a newer image but have some questions.

I looked all over the site but can't find a place where I can download the latest 8/24 version. Could you direct me to the area where the downloads are available? I'm guessing I have to use a USB stick with the file loaded or is there another way to do update it correctly?

A new image will overwrite all my LNB settings and scanned channels, won't it? Is there a way to download these and later restore them once the image is updated? The reason I ask is that I just read the DC feed at 11760 on 87W was able to be scanned so I did a blind transponder scan then scanned the transponder and moved it to my bouquet but it "greyed out" my LPB feed I had saved. It said the tuner was not configured. I did another blind transponder scan and this time 11760 did not show up but it corrected my LPB and now both are there. I feel I'm spending more time with updates and configurations rather than watching TV!

Oh, I saw you asking about a Ka LNB. I was doing a little research and posted a link on SatelliteGuys for Swedish Microwave you may want to look at. You have to submit information for a quote so I'm sure it's not going to be cheap.

Carl
 
Lots of times, testing images will be nothing more than one update after another. The words Test Image are put on the boot screen for a reason.

The image you want to flash is online and can be done automatically with settings, satellites, channels etc. restored automatically.

Here is a thread for online flashing: https://legitfta.com/forum/showthre...-Mio-Mio-Receivers-Online&p=102284#post102284

You may ask any questions about online flashing in that thread.
 
...Tuesday night I flashed the latest image and did not do an auto restore again. Back to scratch. I scanned in the satellites and channels. Nothing else was restored. My plan this time is to do nothing but watch satellite channels. I won't use any external editors, or stream video, or even record or watch videos. I want to keep a controlled environment. So far, clock seems fine though I don't watch it all the time. I will leave it like this for a week...
I have watched satellite channels, played videos, done some recording and done a little streaming using Media Player. No clock jumps or inaccurate times have been seen. This light testing is not proof the issue is fixed, but it adds weight in support of this. I am going to avoid using external editors in future which, I think, can/may corrupt the Edision database files. I'm ready to receive the official release so I can finalize my installation and add bouquets. I look forward to any improvements in Positioner Setup which I use extensively with my USALS dish and Blind Scan.
 
Setting the hardware clock to update probably fixed the remaining time issues. We will see...

The problem with editors is they may carry some problems forward. A lot of users do not realize or understand this. There is nothing wrong with editors, but when you have problems or issues, sometimes it is best to start clean. Loading a new image, then reinstalling the saved settings from any editor may carry forward problems or issues.

Now is the time to reload the original Dreamset files into the receiver. It will not hurt anything. Backup the whole image before you do this, or copy the entire enigma2 folder (located in /etc/enigma2) to your computer so it can be used as a restore point. Check for proper operation after reloading the Dreamset files.

More work needs to be done to make ka blindscan work. Positioner Setup needs a message added. There is not much left to do that is known about.
 
There are over 10,000 .ipk packages in TNAP feeds as shown below. usually all of these packages are deleted from the server, then the new .ipk packages are uploaded when the feeds change. It doesn't always have to be done this way, but it usually is with TNAP images. In other words, updating the feeds takes a little bit of effort. More supported receivers = More feeds.

When you change or modify a file in the image, either the feeds need to be updated to reflect the changes, or a new image has to be uploaded. For some changes, a new image is uploaded and the 10,000+ .ipk feeds are deleted from the server and new ones uploaded. So making a change to one file is not the easiest thing to do, considering what all needs to be done in order to make the change usable for everyone that uses the image.

There is nothing more frustrating or aggravating than for someone to have a problem, then not follow through with testing the file changes to see that they work. Most things can be fixed if the problem is worked at long enough, but it is aggravating as hell to hunt for files that may have problems or make changes to files, then go through all of the steps needed to make the changes usable and have no one to test the changes or get no feedback on the changed files.

I realize that most fta users are limited in computer skills, but fta in North America is a "Do it Yourself" type hobby. And it is likely to get worse. Take a good look at some of the junk type appliance fta receivers that are being offered for sale in North America. Receives that have features or recovery procedures from 2005 are being offered. Parts of Enigma2 are open source, so we can change some of it. Appliance type receivers are closed source, Take a pick as to which one you want, but enigma2 receivers will perform no better in North America than the work or effort that is put into them.

ipk-file-count- 2021-08-28 11-55-13.webp
 
It's been almost two days and I check it randomly and my time seems to be accurate and holding after the 8/24/21 update of TNAP 4.1. I did the download and it flashed and updated the settings, which takes a while. I don't use any editors so don't have that issue to worry about.

Thanks, El Bandido for all the time and work you put into this and the individual help along the way.
 
Just now, I was watching the clock, it jumped before my eyes. I changed from Standby to On and sure enough the date is 1969. Otherwise, it worked perfectly for 4 1/2 days.

Is it a coincidence that only today for the first time since flashing this image:
- I used Dreamset to read the database to my PC. Only read it. Didn't write to the Mio+. I can't see how this could hurt anything.
- I ftped using Filezilla an IPTV bouquet with some m3u8 links to etc/enigma2 folder on the Mio+. I probably shouldn't have done this.

Added: I compared the IPTV bouquet with a bouquet created by the Mio+. They are similar but the IPTV bouquet has a web URL. Perhaps this difference confused the Mio+. I have deleted the IPTV bouquet and will continue to monitor.
 
Last edited:
Just now, I was watching the clock, it jumped before my eyes. I changed from Standby to On and sure enough the date is 1969. Otherwise, it worked perfectly for 4 1/2 days.

Is it a coincidence that only today for the first time since flashing this image:
- I used Dreamset to read the database to my PC. Only read it. Didn't write to the Mio+. I can't see how this could hurt anything.
- I ftped using Filezilla an IPTV bouquet with some m3u8 links to etc/enigma2 folder on the Mio+. I probably shouldn't have done this.

Added: I compared the IPTV bouquet with a bouquet created by the Mio+. They are similar but the IPTV bouquet has a web URL. Perhaps this difference confused the Mio+. I have deleted the IPTV bouquet and will continue to monitor.

I want you to be able to use this box any way you want without the time getting corrupted. Nothing you have done here should corrupt the time.
Let's fix it.
Open a telnet session and enter the following:
opkg update
opkg install util-linux
The telnet screen should look similar to this: root@osmio4kplus:~# opkg install util-linux
Reboot the box and continue operating the box the way you want to.

If you want to see the problem first:
Most likely you will have 67 or some other very low number stored in the hardware clock. This number Is Not Changing!
A hardware clock number of 67 = Thu Jan 01 1970 00:01:07 GMT+0000 Or for my timezone, it is: Wed Dec 31 1969 19:01:07 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time). This was 52 years ago.
To see your hardware clock number, look in the file where it is stored. The file is called rtc. It is located in the fp folder at: /proc/stb/fp.
The rtc file should display the current time in unix. My rtc file currently has 1630292771 for the time. Reloading the rtc file will show an updated time...

Anyway, install the util-linux package, REBOOT and retest. Time problems will continue until the hardware clock is running. Installing the util-linux package will get your hardware clock running the way we have it set.. Be sure to reboot after installing this package. You may check your rtc file before and after installation to see the results...
 
Last edited:
I followed this procedure. I didn't see the low number in rtc before or after because I had already rebooted previously and restored normal operation. My rtc is now 1630320545. I'll keep this in mind if the date/time go wrong.
 
We were missing one package named util-linux-hwclock - 2.34-r0


You may check that this package is installed in any image by using the telnet command opkg list-installed.
 
I want you to be able to use this box any way you want without the time getting corrupted. Nothing you have done here should corrupt the time.
Let's fix it.
Open a telnet session and enter the following:
opkg update
opkg install util-linux
The telnet screen should look similar to this: root@osmio4kplus:~# opkg install util-linux
Reboot the box and continue operating the box the way you want to.

If you want to see the problem first:
Most likely you will have 67 or some other very low number stored in the hardware clock. This number Is Not Changing!
A hardware clock number of 67 = Thu Jan 01 1970 00:01:07 GMT+0000 Or for my timezone, it is: Wed Dec 31 1969 19:01:07 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time). This was 52 years ago.
To see your hardware clock number, look in the file where it is stored. The file is called rtc. It is located in the fp folder at: /proc/stb/fp.
The rtc file should display the current time in unix. My rtc file currently has 1630292771 for the time. Reloading the rtc file will show an updated time...

Anyway, install the util-linux package, REBOOT and retest. Time problems will continue until the hardware clock is running. Installing the util-linux package will get your hardware clock running the way we have it set.. Be sure to reboot after installing this package. You may check your rtc file before and after installation to see the results...

We were missing one package named util-linux-hwclock - 2.34-r0


You may check that this package is installed in any image by using the telnet command opkg list-installed.

My Mio also has this NTP time wandering issue, so I had changed to transponder time sync, which stays perfect. I'm also still running a slightly older version of TNAP 4.0 on my regular Mio. I checked, and didn't have the util-linux-hwclock file installed. So, I followed your instructions above, and just installed and rebooted. I changed my time settings back to grab time from NTP, and synced it, and saved the settings. My RTC clock now has this: 1630327898

I'll let you know how it goes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top